Utah

Report: NSA was spying on Salt Lake City during Olympics

Comments

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Aug. 24, 2013 8:30 a.m.

When I was was GOP I recall the ACLU suing to stop the government from doing this. My fellow Conservatives ripped on the ACLU and consistently supported GW Bush AND REELECTED him. They consolidated Executive power and now they are displeased that someone from another party is doing the same thing. What have you got to hide Conservatives? You made the bed, go ahead and make yourself cozy in it.

• m.g. scott clearfield, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Typical irrational responses from the left---

Bush = BAD
    Obama = Not responsible for anything BAD.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 3:12 p.m.

Typical irrational responses from the right ---

Bush = GOOD,
    Obama = BAD.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    Aug. 23, 2013 2:21 p.m.

Comments seem to be going both ways here and someone already covered my response -- So what? If you have nothing to hide, which I don't, then who cares who reads or listens to your stuff? And if you do, then it's good that you're being monitored.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Aug. 23, 2013 12:15 a.m.

Conservatives 2002 with Republican President: We must protect this country. You are with us or against us. Go NSA, protect us! Surveillance is patriotism!

Conservatives 2013 with Democrat President: We have been violated! What about the Consitution?

Conservatives 2013 if Romney had won: We must protect this country. You are with us or against us. Go NSA, protect us! Surveillance is patriotism!

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 8:48 p.m.

Where did the buck stop with regard to the Salt Lake Olympics?

Who was THE MAN in charge of the SLO?

Mitt Romney knew about this yet failed to tell Americans?

George Bush knew about this yet failed to tell Americans?

FOX News will be screaming scandal?

DRUDGE will be asking for investigations?

Waiting...

• Harley Rider Small Town, CT
    Aug. 22, 2013 8:02 p.m.

This is just the beginning = condition the sheep to the idea of surveillance and then start the enforcement of the coming Police State , which in some parts of the country has already happened.

Our Reps in Washington - Republicans - Democrats LOL there is no real difference between the 2, as both parties have totally sold out the American Taxpayer. The time is right for a 3rd party - need to eliminate all Computer Voting - Hanging Chads yeah right that was orchestrated to usher in the bogus electronic voting scam

• Kelliebelle66 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 4:36 p.m.

"A canary in a cage is secure but it is not free. It is easier for free men to resist terrorism from afar than tyranny from within." I used to feel like many people do, that I didn't have anything to hide from the government so it didn't matter if they monitored me. But then I started seeing all the abuses that have been exposed where the current administration is targeting people who disagree with them. There are power hungry people out there who really don't care about doing what's right and they don't have the desire to protect our freedoms. They think only of themselves and their own agendas. The loss of our freedom will happen bit by bit until it's too late to do anything. I read a two volume book that was a publication of a Jewish man's diary of his life in pre- and post Nazi Germany. It was fascinating to read the things the Nazi's would do to take away freedoms bit by bit and the people targeted kept hoping it wouldn't get worse until they were loaded onto cattle cars and disappeared.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 1:16 p.m.

@Cedarcreek320, a subtantial number of Republicans in Louisiana blame Obama for the poor response of the government to Hurricane Katrina. So, unfortunately, I would not be surprised if they blme him for NSA spying in 2002.

• Eric P Boise, ID
    Aug. 22, 2013 12:40 p.m.

And, what has been the price tag associated with the "security" that the NSA has provided by spying on us the past couple of decades?
    When we are bankrupt from this, and every other unconstitutional, government program there will be little to protect us from the very thing the government claims the NSA is doing. This program and all of the unconstitutional wars and entitlement programs serve as a means, not to provide us with security but rather, to strip us of both our security and liberty.

• kiddsport Fairview, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 11:48 a.m.

Even if we agreed there was a necessity for cyber intelligence to thwart terrorism, when it is put in the hands of a party who is not above using the IRS against political opponents, it's time to pull in on the reins.

• kiddsport Fairview, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 11:42 a.m.

@JJJHS- It's not that we were all that giddy about it during the GWB era, but we were certainly more secure than when we have an unscrupulous, less-than-transparent, prevaricator who deems his political opponents as "enemies" occupying the White House.

• ThornBirds St.George, Utah
    Aug. 22, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Wouldn't it be fun to find out the outrageous things ol' Mitt Romney was saying during the 2002 Olympics!
    Obviously, someone close to the event will eventually pen a book describing that and much more.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 22, 2013 9:26 a.m.

Wait, so you guys at the NSA overheard me telling my wife what I bought the kids for their birthday? You knew what they were getting before they did? How dare you!?

• Contrarius mid-state, TN
    Aug. 22, 2013 9:11 a.m.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 9:11 a.m.

After reading articles in both the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News I find one thing lacking.

In the Tribune article it had reaction from many of our elected officials.

Two reactions were missing. One was the governor of our state at the time and the other was our Senior Senator Orrin Hatch. Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Orrin Hatch at that time one of the senior members of the Senate Intelligence Committee?

As a senior member of that committee would he have access to the information on that intelligence snooping?

• My house was stolen Roy , UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 9:02 a.m.

I have a very hard time believing this current government represents us. Even this State government. It represents special interests only it seems. At the top of these special interests are the big banks. They own this country. They control the courts and relegislate laws through them. First the government gives the banks a bait and switch scam called HAMP to scam thousands of people out of their homes in this state. Violation of Due Process. Then there is the spying. What is next throwing people in prison for anything? IS the Constitution only a pesky piece of paper? America a Revolution is coming if this crap does not stop. I will not say the Pledge of Allegiance anymore, as there is not Liberty and Justice for all. This is a lie. It is Liberty and Justice for SOME. This is not the America I grew up in. The values of RIGHT and WRONG have become distorted. RISE UP AMERICA!

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 8:25 a.m.

Did Senators Bennett and Hatch and our Congress Representatives know of these action? Where was Governor Leavitt during this type of action?

I know security is important but it is supposed to be a shared responsibility with the federal government in a Constitutionally approved State of Utah.

It doesn't make any difference what party is supposedly in control as the bureaucrats running the real government and those have filtered to the one party rule over the decades since the Wilson and Roosevelt eras of controlling politics.

What else have they done with the secret unconstitutional powers they use on a daily basis?

We have to be involved with our government at all levels as power and influence is thwarting our rights as citizens of a country that was founded for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness not having the rich and powerful telling us what we can do.

We the people need to be involved with our country's ruling power or we will lose the power that appears to have already been lost to the federal government.

• Cedarcreek320 Star Valley Ranch, WY
    Aug. 22, 2013 8:22 a.m.

It's going to be tough to blame President Obama for this one.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 7:44 a.m.

I wonder how many of those who are outraged supported the Patriot Act.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 7:41 a.m.

Legal?: as you refer to "we older folks", this article suddenly gives a whole new meaning to "duck and cover"... ;)

• Christmas Carole LAS CRUCES, NM
    Aug. 22, 2013 7:27 a.m.

@Legal?
    I too,feel somewhat torn up when I read about security(breach of privacy?). HOWEVER, I glean from this article, and others that I have read, that the problem so many citizens are having is derived from the extent of what is being done. I am interpreting(maybe with my own feelings entwined)that "everyday ho-jo-citizen" is being watched,listened to, etc. From what I am understanding our government agencies have gone way over the top...
    @Pa. Reader
    I feel as you do(and think many others do as well)in that we are all aware of our general lack of privacy. That said, we STILL as citizens of America need to express our outrage and disagreement when we feel it is warranted.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 7:10 a.m.

“I am proud that Utah will be home to one of the most important facilities in our country dedicated to the defense of our nation against growing threats of terrorism and cyber warfare,” Bishop added. “I was pleased to join with the rest of Utah’s Congressional delegation in helping to secure the approvals necessary for this project to go forward and I will continue to support its continuing and vital role in our nation’s defense.” - Rob Bishop

"Our networks are increasingly under attack from a range of sources, everything from the hacker who steals your identity and runs up huge credit card bills to a coordinated assault on a nation’s computer infrastructure, as was seen in Estonia and Georgia. This threat is real and I am very proud the intelligence community is utilizing Utahns’ unique skills in this critical national security endeavor.” - Orrin Hatch

Thanks, Utah delegation for not only allowing spying on us, but letting us be the repository for that data. You're the greatest.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Aug. 22, 2013 7:09 a.m.

All you that voted for GW Bush, you can stop with the outrage. You didn't care about it then but you care about it now?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Aug. 22, 2013 7:04 a.m.

If you all understood how this software works, you really wouldn't be too concerned. Yes, the idea of someone reading your private emails is a bit upsetting. But the bottom line is anything you do either wireless or connected via a wire is crossing over someone else's property, and you should reasonably expect it to be seen.

The technology being deployed is simply and advanced pattern matching algorithms... looking for modeled patterns. It does care about your cat or dog, who you are going out with (unless they are on the known terrorist list), or what you had for dinner - where - and the picture you posted of it on Facebook.

It is simply looking for patterns.... it doesn't understand what they mean other than to flag them.

In a perfect world... yes.... I would prefer we didn't have to do this. But the fact that people are dying because terrorist are using public communication channels to pull off their deeds justifies listening in to see if we can intercept these communications.

I am just trying to figure out how the regular crowd is going to blame this too on BO.

• Springvillepoet Springville, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 6:54 a.m.

Last time I checked, The Patriot Act was originally passed by an overwhelming majority of Congress regardless of party affiliation and has been renewed without fail ever since. I find it amusing how so many people in Utah are big supporters of National Security, but balk when they 'suddenly discover' all of the baggage which comes with that security. Don't like it? Write your representative and demand them to repeal The Patriot Act and disband the Department of Homeland Security. Just don't feign surprise or outrage when you get what you wanted.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 6:14 a.m.

Who cares

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 6:05 a.m.

911 had just happened, I hope they did spy on us; we were at war and this was an international event.

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    Aug. 22, 2013 5:38 a.m.

Amusing that those who cloak themselves in the supposed immunity of online commentary can be so outraged about this.
    Since Google, Facebook and every other social media provider mines, sells and exploits data they collect, it's more than a little naive to claim any expectation of privacy.
    The Internet is the electronic equivalent of the largest bathroom wall in the world, and anything one scrawls on that wall is there for all to see...
    By the way, all governments spy. In our country there are laws in place to control intelligence agencies. Lobby to change those laws or to vote out the elected reps who have been privy to these programs if you are unhappy.
    To feign outrage or shock over this is just silly.

• high school fan Huntington, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 2:46 a.m.

Just a reminder, the Salt Lake City Olympics was just five months after 9/11. On top of that, we as a people get real excited over others listening in but we continue to use cell phones, texts, emails, cordless phones and other devices that send our messages out there and then we act surprised when we lack privacy.
    I am not saying that it is right, I am just saying we have never stopped to think about it. We have no privacy.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 1:47 a.m.

Thank goodness. Glad to know they are doing their job of protecting us from any possible threats. I've got nothing to hide and gladly welcome their efforts.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 12:28 a.m.

I am grateful we have a government able and willing to go after terrorists and Win.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    Aug. 22, 2013 12:20 a.m.

Well, golly gee willikers! What a shocking revelation. Our goobermint is spying on us.

• Legal? Saint George, UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 10:16 p.m.

To BH and others--

Some observations:

We don't know yet what information gleaned from this surveillance may thwarted some incendiary plots and stopped needless bloodshed and mayhem.

Perhaps the price we pay to live in this country and be as safe as possible is this kind of activity. The world is a much different place than when we older folks were in school.

And perhaps what sets us apart from some other countries is how the information may be used. I suspect if we were in other countries, the communications which have already been intercepted may have resulted in some nasty repercussions for us common citizens.

Your further thoughts, please...

• Mark from Montana Aurora, CO
    Aug. 21, 2013 10:02 p.m.

If I express my anger at how caviler those who have sworn to uphold, defend and protect the constitution of the United States, will I be guilty of making terroristic threats?

I am disgusted by every elected official holding a national office, starting with Bush, then Obama, Hatch and on down.

They talk a great deal, they hold hearings and express their outrage, but do nothing about it. Oh how I wish I had the financial resources to file a suite against each and every one of them for violating my rights as granted by the constitution. They might as well start billeting soldiers in my home, barring me from attending the church of my choice and on and on and on. If those who have taken an oath of office to protect and defend the constitution so easily break that oath, our county is doomed.

• tim_the_tool_man_taylor Dallas, TX
    Aug. 21, 2013 9:39 p.m.

It is crazy to me how they do this to ya'll and then you Utahns invite them right back into your own back yard--right in Bluffdale. Don't you think it is time to take a stand against these people who have no regard for our privacy?

• BH Tremonton, UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 8:53 p.m.

This is outrageous! Why are our leaders so willing to trample on the freedoms of the American people, all in the name of security? Don't they understand, that there is no real security when we give up our freedoms?

When we surrender our freedoms for security, all we do is change who it is that we are threatened by. Instead of the threat coming from terrorists, now the threat comes from our own government.

I remember in grade school, being taught that one of the great things about America, as opposed to other places in the world, was how free we were to come and go as we pleased, with no fear of the government restricting and monitoring our movements. It seems we are crossing a threshold into a society where we can no longer enjoy that freedom. And I fear we will not be able to return, without another revolutionary war.

From what has recently been revealed, we have learned that with the data the NSA collects, they can know exactly where each of us are, and who we associate with. When will Americans rebel against this loss of freedom?