Faith

Navigating the LDS Church's mobile apps

Comments

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Aug. 26, 2013 10:05 a.m.

@birder - the only problem is that not all the people are on iOS. The majority of people I know, both at work, in my neighborhood, and at church are running Android. And a fair number of those on iOS are seriously considering a move to Android. If the techies at the Church think that iOS is where the people are then they're mistaken and need more market research. Seems like they can easily gather that data too, just see what versions of their apps are syncing data and then build apps accordingly.

• birder Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 10:14 p.m.

In watching some of the LDS Tech online broadcasts, I have heard the app developers say that they will "go where the people are." Since Apple products are so prevalent, that's why the Church is pumping resources into the iOS platform over others. That's also why the Church is on Facebook. That's where gazillions of people are spending their time.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 11:49 a.m.

1) Facebook has a place but it's mostly just a complete waste of time as is social networking in general. And I work for a company that tries to market in those spaces.

2) Why has the Church embraced IOS as the primary development platform. It's annoying and partial; if they're going to roll out an app then they better roll it to all the major environments (Apple, Android, Windows, Blackberry)

3) If we devoted as much time to caring for people that we devote to social media the world would be a much better place. Go visit someone. Pick up the phone and have an actual conversation with someone. Quit hiding behind 140 character moments or in a facebook life that is all facade. That's what the Gospel of Jesus Christ is about, not having minimal interaction with people on 'my' terms.

• Hi Huntington Beach, CA
    Aug. 22, 2013 9:56 a.m.

I don't like the new Gospel Library app as much as the old one. Some of the features are great I just wish they had an actual home page. Most of the apps are great though.

• GeoMan SALEM, OR
    Aug. 22, 2013 9:43 a.m.

Not all of them are even available for Android. I wouldn't hold my breath for Windows Mobile given its current tiny market share.

• Malihini Northern, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 8:39 a.m.

What about making these apps available for Windows mobile rather than just iOS and Android?