Sports

Dick Harmon: BYU's acid test arrives Aug. 31, but Robert Anae's 'go fast, go hard' offense shows promise

Comments

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 8:37 p.m.

@Scott Farcus
    DNews didn't publish of deny my last comments so I don't know what's up with that.
    I served in Japan Central and Japan Fukuoka with my wife.
    I think you would enjoy what Bronco is trying to do but the second half is not worth the reading.
    I'll just end with if you had my experience you wouldn't even want to be a Utah man.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 12:56 p.m.

@SLCWatch
    You are awesome! It’s all in fun, we enjoyed the saber clashing. A lot of people that post comments have a titch of competitiveness in them. Its like growing up with brothers or best friends, we all take jabs. I was pleased to hear you went to the U where prophets graduate from, smart move. Sad to hear with the 1-10 record, you gave up on them, I had season tickets and lived through more than a decade plus of pain and suffering until McBride turned the tables 34-31,I never gave up on my Utes.
    The Utes deserve the PAC-12 and yes they do have a tough row to hoe. I honestly wish that the Y had the same, what was once a great program has been diminished by quick foolish decisions.
    BTW while serving in Japan I proselytized in Matsumoto where I saw U logos all over. Both universities have a far-reaching fan base.
    I’m going to pass on your book recommendation; I’m just not crazy about Bronco’s ideas. SLCWatch read “Airing It Out” now LaVell was a great coach that changed football! And you didn’t hear that from me.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 9:12 a.m.

@Scott Farcus
    Okay, it was funny at the time. I'll let it die.
    Bye the way, negative comments about the Y doesn't build up the U.
    I get my digs in to C.B. because he is just plain silly but I try really hard not to roust the Local U fans because I unfortunately had to go there for my first degree. They were 1-10 the two years I went there so I have no interest in their program.
    The U has a tough row to hoe this year, they don't need me piling on. I'll try not to.
    I have never gone to the Y but I enjoyed LaVell Edwards, Crowton not so much and I love what Bronco is trying to do for the reasons he is trying to do it. I suggest your read "Running into the wind".
    By the way, there is a shrine to Cougars in Heian Jingu in Kyoto Japan. Got pictures with BYU shirts all around it.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 8:38 a.m.

@SLCWatch

Lets look at this;

You wrote; " Second, You said you were going to being shooting fish in a barrell on Sept 26th (my typo on saying the 25th.)"

Your typo?

I am going to take the higher road and forgive you for your typo, I hope you will forgive me for my typo.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 7:47 a.m.

@Scott Farcus

First, it was only your reflection in the lake you were seeing, no one else wears Utah shirts outside of Utah

Second, You said you were going to being shooting fish in a barrell on Sept 26th (my typo on saying the 25th.) You still haven't figured out when the game is apparently because you will be alone on the 26th.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 10:59 p.m.

SLCWatch
    "Still looking forward to that barrell full of fish on Sept 25th...all alone."

You sure have an odd appetite my friend. But I hope you enjoy your fish!

SLCWatch
    "Hate to tell you this buddy but it's called a reflection. You see them in lakes all the time."

You're the expert, just don't get greedy and go for the bone, its a reflection in the lake.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 10:29 p.m.

@Scott Farcus

Still looking forward to that barrell full of fish on Sept 25th...all alone.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 9:02 p.m.

STuFOO
    "I was in Singapore two weeks ago and I saw a person at the rain station wearing this years BYU team shirt. I have never seen a u sticker, shirt, or anything outside of the inter mountain west."

Your not looking my friend, just last week I was in Jiuzhai Valley National Park in southwestern China north of Chengdu
    enjoying the Blue and green lakes as well as the waterfalls when all of the sudden I witnessed a Red Utah T-shirt with Drum and Feather contrasted against the beautiful Blue and Green Lakes. STuFOO it was breath taking, it brought tears to my eyes.

Take the blinders off and look around.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    Aug. 21, 2013 5:04 p.m.

Scott Farcus

"When do the T-shirts come out? I want to hang it next to my "Quest for Perfection"

Of course, as any respectable u fan would. Its always all about BYU.

Seriously, why would anyone be a u fan? the football team is a nobody now, even in the PAC 10+2 the name that have made for themselves is at the very best inconvenient. the rest of their sports are awful.

Again, why be a u fan?

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    Aug. 21, 2013 4:59 p.m.

2BCSwins no one cares about...

"I've never seen a fanbase that makes more excuses than cougie fans. Stop trying to make excuses and spin things to make the team look better than it is. You might as well just own up to what your team is everybody else already knows you don't fool anybody but yourself."

That's rich from a team that had a losing season, no bowl, an the verge of another losing season, and an inch from irrelevancy. AND who is holding their SOS like as shield against a three win season. Talk about excuses. You wanted to be there.

BYU fans, the other teams in the PAC 10, and the rest of the nation already know that the u is nothing but a flash in the pan, out of their league, and a pretender. You aren't fooling anyone but yourself.

Even funnier is that your statement...

"You might as well just own up to what your team is everybody else already knows you don't fool anybody but yourself."

Doesn't make any sense. Learn to use a coma or something.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    Aug. 21, 2013 4:53 p.m.

2BCSwins (no one cares about...)

here is the same timeline with your uties..

August- "3 in a row, 8 of 11, we're in a big boy conference, BYU is a mid major, BYU is palying a WAC schedule, BYU is our little brother. BYU has no athletes only Sunday school boys. BYU this, BYU that, BYU... got to see what is in the BYU articles"

Augsut 29th - "We lot to USU again? So what we are better than BYU!"

Sept 7 - We lost to WSU? We're still better than BYU."

September 21st- "What just happened? We lost to BYU? How, we won 2 BCS bowl games!"

October 20th- After 4 straight loses "But we're better than BYU we won 3 of 4 and 8 of 12"

October 26th- "what do you mean Whit is going to be fired, he took us to a BCS bowl and we beat BYU 3 of 4 and 8 of 12.

November 16th- Crickets
    November 23th- Crickets
    November 30th- "where are you going to watch BYU's bowl game?"

• agb Layton, UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 3:41 p.m.

Scott Farcus:

I see you're a little preoccupied with BYUs 'acid test.' But don't fret, I'm sure you'll find out the results of Utah has an 'acid test' here real soon...well as soon as the results from Blechen's next UA are announced.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 12:32 p.m.

Cougsndawgs
    "There are no T-shirts this year, sorry to disappoint you."

No T's ?

So much for Tradition and Spirit!

Cougsndawgs, am disappointed, my bYu T-shirt collection will have to end at "Band of Lil Brothers."

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 10:07 a.m.

Scott Farcus:
    "Explain the difference between "Nitro Offense" and "go fast, go hard."

Nitro was the 2 minute no huddle offense similar to Utah's "NASCAR" offense this year lol. BYUs new offensive philosophy is no huddle, ever...as in Arizona/Oregon no huddle, not 2 minute drill every once in awhile. Don't worry, you'll get a nice up close look at it on Sept 21st, when you're choking on your sarcasm through tears resulting from a severe "go fast go hard" beat down.

There are no T-shirts this year, sorry to disappoint you.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 8:54 a.m.

Explain the difference between "Nitro Offense" and "go fast, go hard."

Did Bronco get the "go fast, go hard" tag line from one of the "Fast and Furious" sequels?
    And BYU's Nitro usually always blew up last year.

Last question; When do the T-shirts come out? I want to hang it next to my "Quest for Perfection" T

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 8:50 a.m.

@talkinsports...."mostly because we spent most of the season with a converted safety with a broken back playing QB.

With the defense BYU had last season, with even an average BYU offense, BYU could have easily had an 11-1 regular season.

Looking forward to see a vastly improved BYU offense this season."

LOL typical cougie fan comment....Every team in the nation can say if only our offense was better, or that guy didn't get hurt, etc. etc. we would have gone 12-0 and won the Nat title.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 8:40 a.m.

@mindless...."Utah, you can always use the phrase those adorable Cubbies from Chicago made famous "wait until next year!"

The cougie fan's have been using this for the last 30 years....LOL

What's classic is it never changes for cougie fan's I can map out cougie fans fall before it even happens....

August- "were the greatest team on earth we have all the talent in the world the best coaches to. We will be going undefeated and to a BCS bowl most likely the nat championship get the quest shirts out"
    September 7th- "it was the refs fault"
    September 21st- crickets for about 3 weeks
    October 20th- After 4 straight wins over nobody's..."Yes were Awesome and much better than texas and utah they won the game but were the better team no doubt"
    October 25th- The refs always give the game away if it wasn't for that we would have dominated this game.
    November 10th- Crickets
    November 24th- Crickets
    November 30th- "Yes our team is so Awesome yeah we went 7-5 but were definitley better than every team we played" "Wait till next year"

LOL!

• Ldsrm Spanish fork, UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 10:01 p.m.

GO BYU And all the rest of Utah schools hopefully some one will get Utah rolling like BYU and Utah state and WEBBER sate that is always great GREAT GREAT

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Aug. 20, 2013 6:42 p.m.

Hey Hatched in 82,

Just think, the chances of the U developing a significant rivalry with an elite PAC 12 school is MUCH greater than the Y developing a rivalry with any school as good as Utah. Put that in your bubble pipe and smoke it.

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Aug. 20, 2013 3:49 p.m.

They don't deserve to be insulted. There are fair criticisms largely starting with Doman which is different than insulting. But I guarantee you most of byu's guys were going hard & as fast as they could. There is no other way to play the game without getting hurt.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 20, 2013 2:22 p.m.

Everyone seems to be doing the "go fast, go hard" thing. I suspect if you don't have experience with it, it may quickly degenerate into "go fast, go hard, get penalized for a false start."

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 1:17 p.m.

Also, was the comment on the REFS a threat? Cause making any comment about the refs slowing the game down...yikes, If I were a REF, it would be hard to swallow those comments without some reaction on the field...like or not, they are just human, and they do react.

Why does BYU keep making comments on things like that? Bronco? Really?

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 1:15 p.m.

I hope so Mr. Harmon. But every year we get "How Great We Art" about BYU Football. We'll wait and see what transpires on the field. Tired of all the hype and talk every year.

Oh, how I miss LaVell. Truly, he ran the program with humility and let the game speak for itself. Now, we want to wave our flag and tell the world how great we are, or want to be. Really Bronco? The ad running tells us all how he wants to be the Elite Program, or if not, one of them.

That is a great and worthy goal, but to shout to the world of college programs who are, have been, and likely will be much better. That is an issue. I hope we can just build that program, Lavell did, Bronco has not, but let it speak for itself on the field, and let others wave the flag. It comes across so very tacky. Stop, just do your job, love the game, love the players, and let the honor come if deserved. Don't expect it, don't flaunt the Spirt, Honor, blah blah blah.

Elite or not.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 1:10 p.m.

Wiscoug:
    Thank you I did a search and saw the numbers you're referring to. Is it just me or does that seem like a slow time for Taysom...unless safeties and DBs he's left in his wake are slower than that, which a doubt. Maybe his game speed is just much better than his 40 time.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Aug. 20, 2013 1:07 p.m.

I'm waaaaaaay excited for this season but I still don't understand why Ben Cahoon was let go.

Still. Does. Not. Compute.

Go Cougars!

• Monk Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 12:28 p.m.

The BYU Cougars are the best team in the nation this year. I can't wait for them to go undefeated!

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Aug. 20, 2013 12:15 p.m.

Cougsndawgs,
    I pulled from rivals, scout, and nfldraftscout, and simply did google searches on a few and looked at articles. Are there any other/better sources?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 12:02 p.m.

Wiscougarfan:
    Where were the 40 times listed? I've got Taysom Hill at 4.46 out of high school, and he looks much faster than the 4.72 you listed him at. I've also got cody Hoffman 4.56 for his fastest time...just curious.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 20, 2013 11:39 a.m.

VAggie

"Claiming that "now we will start trying by playing hard" is insulting to last years team as well as insulting to teams you played."

Last year's BYU offense deserves to be insulted; not as individuals, but as a team, they were awful, mostly because we spent most of the season with a converted safety with a broken back playing QB.

Looking forward to see a vastly improved BYU offense this season.

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 11:28 a.m.

@ sparkley beliefs

"it remains to be seen who will emerge as Utah's biggest rival. I'm hoping for UCLA or USC" I think you might just be getting a bit ahead of yourselves. The utes have the same probability of creating a USC or UCLA rivalry as you do making it to a bowl game this year. 0%. No chance.
    How can you try and avoid Colorado as a valid rivalry, its the only game which you guys could possibly have consistent success. I know its been said that the UTES were invited to the PAC12 because of their research programs but this does not reflect on the intelligence of their fans. You guys live in a fantasy world.

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Aug. 20, 2013 10:49 a.m.

Shouldn't you always be going "fast and hard", With proper intensity? Claiming that "now we will start trying by playing hard" is insulting to last years team as well as insulting to teams you played. Either "we beat you without even going hard" or "yes you best us but we weren't trying because we weren't going hard or fast".

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Aug. 20, 2013 10:17 a.m.

RE: New troll

"Fast" in Provo is anything quicker than a 4.8 40 time."

Here are the actual forty times for skill position players on offense:

WR: C. Hoffman (4.45), M. Mathews (4.5) S. Ridley (?), R. Apo (4.49)
    RB: J. Williams (4.46), A. Hine (4.5)
    FB: M. Alisa (4.48), P. Lasike (?)
    QB: T. Hill (4.72), A. Olson (?)
    KR: J. Falslev (4.44), C. Hoffman (4.45), E. Thornton (?)

Not blazing, but faster than we've been in the past. Can anyone fill in the remaining blanks/question marks?

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 10:12 a.m.

@ImaCaMan

Oh, I don't know what you would call it. Research, paying attention to detail, literacy, not being an uninformed voter, actually following my favorite team instead of trolling, putting 2 and 2 together, experience. The ususal stuff. Something 40 years of watching a team closely teaches one to do.
    By the way, in answer to your concerns.
    They don't.
    They do
    and
    You're right, I hope every opponent out there has your deep knowledge set and stacks the box, tries to shut down the run and doesn't pay any attention to those guys running running willey-nilly deep in the backfield.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Aug. 20, 2013 10:09 a.m.

I will be curious to see what Anae has done to change the offense. I am not certain if the offensive woes that the Y suffered from last year was so much of the offensive system and and OC as it was the QB. Time will tell how well this new system will work. Its interesting to note that Chip Kelly had some influence in the termination of 17 refs to help his offensive system. I don't think Bronco will have the same pull being independent. I am not certain I would want to have that be a part of my CV. Anyway, good health and success to the Y this year.

Go UTES!!

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Aug. 20, 2013 9:57 a.m.

Maybe Utah's real rival will be Utah State. USC has UCLA, ASU has U of A. The other rivalries in the PAC are well established. I think as long as Ute fans are obsessed with BYU they will always be rivals and comparing themselves to BYU. All these Ute bloggers here are proof...every day sitting and waiting to pounce on every article about the Y.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Aug. 20, 2013 9:49 a.m.

Re: ImaCaMan,

"Based on what?? A shakey offensive line that's having problems snapping the ball to the QB; no cornerbacks; and a QB that hasn't proved he can throw over five yards?"

It appears you are referring to your Ute offense.

Let your mind be at ease, the BYU offense will be just fine thank you every much.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    Aug. 20, 2013 9:26 a.m.

Re: SLC Watch and mind games

"Having a much improved Y on the schedule will only make the schedule harder." "That 54-10 score will be a distant memory and the new regime will be the talk of ESPN."

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 20, 2013 9:16 a.m.

"Wait until next year!"

LOL, that's awesome mindgames.

• That's A Good One Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 9:13 a.m.

@2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP by U.4-0
    Good one Christy. Trust us, any win the Utes are able muster up this year will be considered a quality one.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Aug. 20, 2013 8:01 a.m.

Now I know why Utah is so happy, happy, happy not to be playing BYU for the next few seasons. After this years game they won't be recovering for a few weeks and will be in the PAC-10+2 cellar looking up at Colorado. That 54-10 score will be a distant memory and the new regime will be the talk of ESPN.

GO COUGARS and let's all hope for a quick recovery for those Utes.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Aug. 20, 2013 7:56 a.m.

Doman didn't need a quarterback coach because until the final game he didn't have a real quarterback.

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Aug. 20, 2013 6:28 a.m.

It remains to be seen who will emerge as Utah's biggest rival. I'm hoping for UCLA or USC, but that would require a lot of really good years for the Utes competing for PAC 12 South titles. May just continue to be BYU by default for a while. Colorado? No chance. Rivalry cannot be contrived. Until the Buffs return to glory and battle the Utes for top dog in the South for a few years, and that seems pretty unlikely, who will get up for that game every year?

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Aug. 20, 2013 5:32 a.m.

Who cares what Ute fans think? I thought they had "moved on" but apparently always interested in what BYU is doing. Frankly, I don't compare what I do with my "little" brothers.

There is always a lot of hype about BYU at this time of year and then we get into the schedule and lose heartbreaker games we should win. I'm glad to see the Offense shaken up and believe if we are anywhere near as good on Defense as we were last year, and have a decent Offense, we can win the close ones and perhaps score some upsets. It will likely take a few years to set this new Offense and put together a season where we can be in contention for a BCS bowl. A win in such a bowl will always be the criteria for arriving at the next level.

GO COUGS!!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 12:17 a.m.

Which week do we play Utah again? Sorry I've been so focused on Sept 7th, Oct 4th, Oct 25th, Nov 9th, & Nov 23rd, that I completely forgot about when the Y plays the utesies. I'm pretty sure that's why, when I had to consult the schedule to find out when the game is against the kids on the hill, I saw that the game time was TBD. I wonder if ESPN forgot about the game against the PAC cellar dwellers too...."oh that's right they (BYU) have to play Utah, maybe we should figure out what time works for our schedule and see if we can squeeze them in". Lol

• Wingnut1 USA, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 10:05 p.m.

@2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP by U.4-0
    Oh I am sorry to hear it is a former rivalry. I thought Utah fans still considered it a rivalry... I mean they stormed the field three times.... So who is your new rival? Colorado?

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 9:19 p.m.

Twenty Years ago beating the Y would have been a quality win. Because it seldom if ever happened. Having lived those games I remember the hard fought battles with the Y's rival Utah State. I also remember the gimme game at Thanksgiving where we were all buying bowl game tickets rather than watching the 70-31 slaughter fest of the U. (54-10 wasn't born yet I assume). It was nice to see the U finally bring in a coach who could even things out (McBride) and the games were fierce but respectful. And then in recent history the Y had the Crowton debacle, then the Urban years (too few) and since then the inevitable crumbling of Urban's empire to be the shadow of what it was and the chorus of "We're in the PAC12" trolls who haven't watched the Sagarin rating dropping like a stockmarket sell off in a recession. I fear for the U that the percipitous drop can't be stopped especially with this years schedule. So yes, the U should have cancelled games with the Y for a while. Having a much improved Y on the schedule will only make the schedule harder.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 19, 2013 8:36 p.m.

I am cautiously optimistic. As with every year, there is a lot of hype and very high expectations. It will be a hard fall if this team doesn't deliver.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 8:26 p.m.

This is the most excited I have been about BYU football. Can't wait to get the games going and see what this new revved up offense can do. Watching a broken QB just wasn't the same thing I had been accustomed to from BYU. Its time for BYU to step up and win those close games.

• BYU sports on TV in Missouri Lebanon, MO
    Aug. 19, 2013 8:10 p.m.

Getting excited for the season to start. We have got some playmakers on both sides of the ball. Win/lose Expecting the games to be entertaining. Bronco has proven he knows how to put a good defense on the field. I am keeping my fingers crossed that all of the talk about the offense is more than just typical preseason hype.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Aug. 19, 2013 8:01 p.m.

"Does anyone know the last time byu won 4-0 in the former rivalry?"

I assume what you really mean is won four-in-a-row. Do you really want to count on four-in-a-row before it actually happens?

I do expect Utah to be better this year than last, but I also expect BYU to be better. It will be fun!

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 7:57 p.m.

Awe crissy, tell us again who the U played in their bowl game last year?

• AZKID Mapleton, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 7:46 p.m.

No trolling from this Arizona kid. Just True Blue. Go Cougars!!

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 7:41 p.m.

"Fast" in Provo is anything quicker than a 4.8 40 time.

I think the main reason utah dropped byu is its not a quality win anymore. 20 years ago it was. But times have changed significantly since then. Does anyone know the last time byu won 4-0 in the former rivalry?

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    Aug. 19, 2013 6:07 p.m.

Que the trolls and naysayers....

What brilliant pithy negative statements can u come up with?

I can't wait until the first game.