Sports

Utah football: Utes apply helmet sticker in remembrance of Gaius 'Keio' Vaenuku

Comments

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 19, 2013 4:32 p.m.

Thanks Dahl for the design. You do great work! A very nice and fitting tribute.

Go Utes!!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 18, 2013 12:02 a.m.

What Max?

I am not saying Whit or any other Ute decision maker had some unheard of revelation or anything. I am just saying that I think Whit is handling this tragedy well and can reach players that are cut from a different cloth with life lessons outside of football.

The sticker and other tributes (a multitude of varieties) are seen elsewhere as well (of course they are). But the 'eternal soldier' adaptation and attitude on the hill towards Gaius is seen by me as highly appropriate. Am I a Ute fan thinking inductively? Perhaps some, but I am not shy to say good for the Utes and coach Whit here.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2013 5:33 p.m.

Utah is the one of the classiest organizations in football. whittingham employs the perfect balance of stressing the importance of being good people, while trying to win football games.

He has handled this tough situation with complete respect and class

Proud to be Ute!

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Aug. 17, 2013 4:37 p.m.

@max was right - can't you leave the classless comments alone for an article like this?

Nice touch to remember a fine young man. Wish we didn't have this topic for discussion but unfortunately we do.

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    Aug. 17, 2013 11:05 a.m.

A nice and appropriate tribute. A class move by Whit and the Utes.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2013 8:07 a.m.

What a fitting tribute to a fine young man. The entire team will carry their thoughts of their young friend and respected teammate throughout the season.

I will never forget the Utes' memorial to another friend they lost Joseph B. Worthlin (JWB) the week of the Sugar Bowl in 2009.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 17, 2013 6:25 a.m.

A very cool, touching tribute to an obviously good young man.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 16, 2013 10:31 p.m.

I see this 'remembrance' helmet sticker as a real positive way to pay tribute to Gaius and remind and or teach the Ute players the eternal value and reality of life. It lives on but is always precious. Whittingham is the right coach to install this concept yet move on to football at the same time.