Sports

Utah Utes football notebook: Injuries mounting for Utes in fall camp

Comments

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Aug. 20, 2013 8:14 a.m.

Falling like bowling pins.....

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 20, 2013 4:51 a.m.

Mortoon

"Sorry azute, your arrogance aside, your star claim is just silly. The Aggies are going to pound u again this year."

Please enlighten us all as to the last time usu "pounded" The U? Thanks in advance!

• Mortoon Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 19, 2013 9:40 p.m.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 19, 2013 9:35 p.m.

We all hate to see any young man who has worked so hard to get to D1 get injured and lose a season regardless of who they play for.

• Down under Eugene, OR
    Aug. 19, 2013 12:54 p.m.

Ute posters: What you sow so shall ye reap but I am going to take the high road here and not post anything negative about the Ute squad, unlike many Ute posters when BYU have their injuries.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 19, 2013 8:25 a.m.

@ Worf

Exacty which Utah fans are you reffering too?

All of the posts from Utah fans regarding BYU injuries were compasionite and sympathetic. I don't remember anyone from either side taking jabs at the injury situation. No one wants to see it.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 16, 2013 1:17 p.m.

sambonethegreat--

21 minutes....Is this some sort of a new record?

"There goes the star smack again. We have great defensive depth, and I genuinely believe U underestimating our linebacking core would be a huge mistake for U. After all, U are a bit thin in that area, too last I checked."

Please....I have no clue, whatsoever, where you're receiving your updates on all things U, but we have excellent depth at LB. Furthermore, teams w/more Stars on average win significantly more than not.

Finally, you understand don't you that TW is bigger than KF, correct? I hardly think he's even remotely scared of getting "drilled HARD" by him! LOL....You must not have seen it, but I was there in person and witnessed it live. I saw it coming long before it even began to develop, but you should ask that CAL LB about what he thinks regarding TW and his utter toughness. In our official Blackout-Game last year, TW straight annihilated this LB. It was utterly epic! It went viral online, so you have ample resources to locate it in witnessing it first-hand, yourself!

Only 13 days away!

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2013 10:51 a.m.

AZUTE1:

Yes, the Utes were able to go undefeated twice in the MWC, I get that. The difference between those Ute teams and my Ags last year though is that Gary Andersen pretty much had to rebuild the Ags from the ground up whereas Urban Meyer and Whitt didn't need to do that for the Utes. McBride left a great foundation to build off of.

We're not world-beaters, but we're true, blue-collar contenders! Besides, if the Utes lose again, I personally think Ute nation will melt down.

Should be a close, great game with some real fire and even a tinge of hate either way!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 16, 2013 10:30 a.m.

sambonethegreat--

"The Utes are noticeably thinner on defense than the Aggies this season (especially at Safety). And if stars truly mattered as much as you think they do, how come U lost to little Utah State last season?"

Please....2-Star depth at usu is significantly different than 3-/4-Star depth at The U. Flukes occur and the game was played at usu. Big difference in playing inside of R.E.S.

"I'll take 2-star athletes with a killer work ethic and a chip on their shoulder over 3-star and 4-star prima donnas any day. Remember the name Kyler Fackrell: he's a 2-star walk-on for the Aggies... and he's gonna drill Wilson HARD."

I'm from Mesa and watched KF play in H.S. Always nice seeing a hometown-boy succeed. However, I assure you he doesn't hit even remotely as hard as any of our LBs [i.e., Fehoko, Filiaga, etc.]

Interesting that a usu fan presumes to "lecture" a UTE on developing lesser-talent and getting them to play-up beyond it. The difference is, we were able to go undefeated, twice.

1 decent season ever and usu's a world-beater! Utterly priceless!

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2013 9:56 p.m.

@AZUTE1

"In other words, injuries would annihilate USU, but they don't even remotely annihilate us. No advantage here to USU."

Tell that to Jordan Wynn. And Brian Blechen. And Reshawn Hooker.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 15, 2013 5:20 p.m.

thebigsamoan:

I always enjoy your posts. While I like to poke fun at BYU now and again, mainly as a learned reaction to being the only Ute from a LARGE family of BYU fans, it is nice to see civility and class alive and well.

However, I do have one critique about your post - I think the younger Murphy is 290 not 390. When I saw "6'4" and 390lbs" I started to sweat and two words popped into my head - Carlos Lozano. :)

Go Utes!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 15, 2013 5:07 p.m.

worf:

I read the slams that were given to the byU coaches and about conditioning. The vast majority of those "slamming coaching, and conditioning" were byU fans, not Utah fans.

You picked the wrong forum to bring that subject up.

"I'd like for both teams to be playing with a full deck."

I agree 100%.

Go Utes!!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 15, 2013 4:13 p.m.

VegasUte--I stated it earlier, but it got denied.

It had to do with slamming coaching, and conditioning.

I'd like for both teams to be playing with a full deck.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 15, 2013 3:19 p.m.

Sambonethegreat--

"Any more injuries and U could be in a real pickle come August 29th."

I'm certain you'd love to believe what you've written right here, yourself, but we'll be just fine. Whereas all 22 of USU's 22 '13 recruits were rated 2-Stars by Scout, our '13 recruits were predominately 3-Stars and the disparity was even significantly greater between our respective '12 recruiting classes. In other words, injuries would annihilate USU, but they don't even remotely annihilate us. No advantage here to USU.

My sole concern would be how they impact us, once we've begun our PAC-12 week-in, week-out grind of a schedule, something 100% entirely foreign to USU.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 15, 2013 3:14 p.m.

"Tu’ikolovatu, a redshirt freshman, entered the week as a co-leader for a starting position on the depth chart. The former East High star was competing with LT Tuipulotu and Late Heimuli for a spot on the interior line alongside Tenny Palepoi.

Oliver, meanwhile, re-injured a broken foot he suffered last season. The sophomore appeared in four games in 2012 and started against BYU, rushing for 52 yards on 23 carries."

While I absolutely abhor any injury whatsoever, the above take is inaccurate, particularly regarding ST. He was listed as last on the depth chart going into Fall Camp. Heimuli has emerged and is showing that his injuries of the past will remain there. Then there's also SI/VF, as well. Combined w/RB, it's certainly the one position we can easily absorb it.

JO's been up-and-down and has always battled injuries. At best, he was in the running for #2 RB, but in reality he hadn't separated himself from either Lucky Radley/Karl Williams. Plus, we've seen both Troy McCormick/Dre'Vian Young asserting themselves w/their lights-out speed.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2013 10:38 a.m.

Any more injuries and U could be in a real pickle come August 29th.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 15, 2013 10:33 a.m.

worf

"What were some ute fans saying of the cougars injuries?"

By "some", do you mean Chris B?

• Black Shirts Mckinney, TX
    Aug. 15, 2013 9:53 a.m.

5 and 7 mark it down!

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Aug. 15, 2013 9:32 a.m.

I am sure USU has some injuries, or at least bumps and bruises, but nothing like byu or uofu.

I wonder if it has to do with the new "fast play" mentality... a play every 10 seconds.

It is good when you play opponents, but wreaks havoc on your own team in practice!

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Aug. 15, 2013 9:00 a.m.

Sad for these guys, but as long as our first stringers don't go down we'll be fine.

8-4 season, mark it down

With all 4 losses coming against prestigious power conference programs.

• jonnyboy Orem, UT
    Aug. 15, 2013 8:51 a.m.

Man, it warms my heart when we all play nice and get along. It makes the rivalry so much more enjoyable.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 15, 2013 7:43 a.m.

So what's going on with all these injuries? This is very disappointing to hear about this many on both schools and the season has not even started. I hope, as Duckhunter said, that this trends ends right now. I wish all the kids on both the Utes and Cougar's squads have full and speedy recovery.

Btw, how about that younger Murphy kid, 6'4" and 390lbs??? Too bad he's not on our side. Talk about a monster of a hole plugger! Do we even have anyone on our side that size? It's great to see Dale's kids excel in Utah though. He was definitely one of the best that ever played for the Braves.

Go Cougars! And good luck to the Utes too!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 9:39 p.m.

This has been an absolute epidemic for both schools. I don't know that it can be blamed on anything more than just bad luck but it does seem to be really excessive for both schools. The really odd thing is that so many of them have been season ending injuries.

Let's hope this trend ends right now.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 14, 2013 9:08 p.m.

Sad to hear anyone getting hurt. Love to see the best of all teams brought to the football field. May they both have a speedy recovery.

worf, it's usually not Ute fans who are ragging on BYU, the fans, or player's injuries. It's usually the ChrisB's and others of the like who are shunned by both organizations that say derogatory things about another team. If everyone ignores them, perhaps they would all go away and we can enjoy harmless banter once again instead of insults.

Get better soon everyone.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:27 p.m.

This is too bad. Is it just me or does it seem like there have been more injuries in both BYU and Utah's camps this year? Has USU had any bad injuries of note? What are they doing right that BYU and Utah seem to be doing wrong? Here's hoping a speedy recovery for Stevie and Jarell and look forward to seeing them next season.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:14 p.m.

What were some ute fans saying of the cougars injuries?