Sports

Utah Utes football: Offense excels, scores seven touchdowns during Utes scrimmage

Comments

• Jenny83 Logan, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:55 p.m.

Down under.....your Little league team must be better than your sad Cougs because the Cougs can't ever seem to beat the lowly Utes!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:37 p.m.

A lot of praise for Manning, hope he pushes Wilson to the end.

@Down under

My little league team could score as much on that defense.

-------------

I doubt it, considering they haven't 8 of the last 11.

• lanius Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:25 p.m.

Sounds like the defense quit in the third.......

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 14, 2013 11:16 a.m.

The amount of scoring says nothing either way about our starting and second string defenses. I may be wrong, but it appears to me that bulk of the scoring came with both third strings on the field. It is a scrimmage - don't read too much into it one way or the other.

• RedUtes08 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 11:10 a.m.

@bigsamoan- good to see some classy coug fans get on here and brighten these boards up! The rivalry is fun, and don't get me wrong, I can't stand the sight of blue when the Utes are on the field with them, but I like to see them succeed in other games and see their players rise up in the next level!

@duckhunter - let's hope it's pointing towards the latter of the two. We need our offense to step it up and stop relying on the defense to always win games for us.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Aug. 14, 2013 10:47 a.m.

gdog3finally,

I agree with you on Manning. I think the solution is to red shirt him this year, then let him go head-to-head with Wilson in 2014 spring ball. If he turns out to be the better talent then the U coaches need to tweak the offence a bit to slant it more toward Manning's skill set and put him at #1 for the 2014 season.

Manning flat out has a beautiful throwing motion and is extremely accurate. He broke all of Matt Barkley's O.C. high school records.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 10:25 a.m.

So does this mean utah's defense is really bad or does it mean utah's offense is now the second coming of oregon?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 14, 2013 10:12 a.m.

@ Down Under

Maybe so, but your college team can't. BYU has been out scored by the Utes 3 years in a row. U Mad Bro?

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 10:09 a.m.

Articles like this actually make me pessimistic about the other unit. Isn't the D usually ahead at this time of the year?
    Also, the passing numbers stood out to me. Less than 50% completion for the QB's? Even when they seemed to be taking advantage of the D?

• Down under Eugene, OR
    Aug. 14, 2013 9:11 a.m.

My little league team could score as much on that defense.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:47 a.m.

From what I've heard, Connor Manning is a phenomenal talent. Not only a live arm but also an incredibly high football IQ.
    Looking forward to seeing him in action. For me, the verdict is still out on Wilson.

• Hugh Janis South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:31 a.m.

I had higher hopes for Mr. Wilson as a freshman than I do right now. That being said, I feel with better offensive line play Travis will play much better behind center. Last year at the red and white game I felt that Schultz played better than Wynn and Wilson. I am excited for the direction of the program, just getting anxious for when they might be great again. Could be this year could be in 4 years. We'll see.. GO UTES!!!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:23 a.m.

Very exciting news for the Utes and their fans! Not so exciting for me and my Cougars though. But heck, I'm still holding out hope they'll stumble just once against us in September and then go on a tear of their conference and make it to the Rose Bowl.

So good luck Utes, just not against us!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 14, 2013 7:34 a.m.

I'm not sure if I should be excited about the offense, or worried about the defense? I'm glad that Wilson is being pushed at QB though. I'm not, nor have I ever been, sold on Travis Wilson. I'm not so sure that Schultz or Manning wouldn't be a better choice.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 14, 2013 12:20 a.m.

Connor Manning has the most talent by far than any other QB in the Ute program. Here is the thing though. Whitt hired Erickson to install the offense that caters to Travis Wilson's skill set.

Manning arrived this fall as a freshman (missing spring ball). He didn't graduate early and has no time now to show his possible moxy to go with his live and accurate arm.