Sports

BYU football: Cougar freshman DB Dallin Leavitt injured in Tuesday practice

Comments

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 5:03 p.m.

@EdGrady:

The jury is out on whether Utah's passing game will be any good this year but I can definitely tell you we have some serious speed amongst our receivers, as well as two seasoned Juniors who are expected to have breakout years. In addition, Jake Murphy has NFL potential at the TE position and is a very good pass catcher. If our offensive line can pass protect this year then Travis could pick your secondary apart.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Tough news about your corners, my condolences to BYU. I was hoping to follow Sam Lee this year because he served in my mission. Let's just hope both our teams' players recover from their injuries, if they can, and are healthy for the rivalry game as well as the rest of the season.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 2:31 p.m.

Bronco is known for testing the physical limits of his players. It seems as though every year there are injuries from this mindset before adjustments are made. The upside, of course, is that he does get absolutely everything possible out of the players who do not get injured. Does this make up for the losses due to injury? I don't happen to think so; I'd rather have a full team of guys at 95% rather than the majority at 100%+ (meaning they are beyond what might conceivably be considered possible at most programs given their natural abilities) but certain positions effectively at 0% because they cannot play.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Aug. 14, 2013 2:10 p.m.

I was wondering if a WR or RB would make a switch. Seems like TCU at one point used former running backs to man several defensive positions. The DB's looked to be some of the best ever at BYU, hopefully the new guys can develop fast.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 1:08 p.m.

Thanks BlueCoug, I was just coming on to say the same thing lol. Also, Sam Lee is expected to be ready for the Virginia game and will be competing for the boundary corner spot as well. It's good news...according to Leavitt (my buddy said) he is not in a lot of pain, and just feels some tightness. He could go full as early as Monday or Tues.

All that said, we still will be without our most talented corners at both field and boundary this yr. Get well Jordon & Trent, we look forward to watching u both next year.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 11:33 a.m.

Breaking News: Dallin Leavitt suffered a hip flexor; maximum recovery time - 7 days

Eric Thornton is moving from WR to field cornerback. Thornton was doing well as JD Falslev's backup.

Robertson Daniel will move over to field corner. Mike Hague will continue to recover from injury to play boundary corner.

While still challenging, Bronco is making adjustments and BYU's corner situation is not nearly as dire as some have characterized it.

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Aug. 14, 2013 11:03 a.m.

I must be missing something... This was the first thread I read where I thought Chris B's comments were genuine and respectful. What am I missing?

He is right in that we are in trouble against the pass this season. That is not a show stopper. We have excellent LBs that can force the pass rush and wreak havoc on passing plays. However, I expect to see some big plays given up by opponents exploiting our weakness in the secondary.

I hate injuries, especially preseason ones. It seems every year we lose some of our best talent at key positions. Remember the year we kept getting LisFranc injuries due to the new shoes they were wearing. I hope they can figure something out, but aside from the position being the same, each cornerback injury has been different. Not sure what you can conclude from that, other than, "what the?"

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Aug. 14, 2013 9:11 a.m.

"Call me crazy, but it seems like byu has a conditioning issue."

Reasonable, you're not crazy. There is clearly something that needs to be managed differently.

• Down under Eugene, OR
    Aug. 14, 2013 9:10 a.m.

Crissy,
    Come on, let's show some class her. When it was announced that there were some season ending injuries on the Ute roster the Coug fans were respectful and not mean spirited like you.
    Does everything have to be filled with such hatred?

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:54 a.m.

Very classy comments from the majority of Ute fans!

All of my friends up home that are big time Utah fans are the same way - including my brother.

I hope you have a great 11-1 season.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:24 a.m.

These kids work so hard to play this sport. The time and effort expended to learn and play football is beyond comprehension. I feel for any player that gets injured. I hope that he is back on the field soon. Best wishes.

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    Aug. 13, 2013 10:14 p.m.

BYU is loaded at receiver... how about recruiting some of those speedy young guns to CB, who otherwise won't see much of the field this year because of the wealth at WR. BYU has a wealth of athletes at RB too... surely one or two can run at CB for this year... Bronco, you have time to convert them... the many who also played corner in HS. Get 'er doe!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 10:14 p.m.

That photo prooves he's has great cover skills.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 10:06 p.m.

Additional comments. Look, guys, the team has almost 100 players. They might have to pull a guy or two from red shirting and play him this year. Also, maybe there will be a walk on or two. I know it is rather late, but a walk on could be a backup. Bronco and the rest of the coaches will figure it out.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 10:01 p.m.

Look at the positive side. Other guys will have a chance to develop and play. At least some of them may turn out to be great players. Every player, at least most of them, had to wait in the wings. So they have to develop a little faster. So what. Let's not lose hope - let's wait and see what develops. Knowing Bronco, and how much of a fighter he is, I think we will be fine. If necessary, he might have to borrow guys from the offense - maybe a running back or two. Good luck coaches and team. Go Cougars!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 13, 2013 9:50 p.m.

Lack of conditioning can lead to increased chance of injury. Pushing the players too hard can also lead to injury. I've heard enough from the veterans about how hard they are being worked, that I am thinking the latter. At any rate this has to be more than just coincidence. There is something wrong going on here.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 9:31 p.m.

Do these guys really get the training they need to play at this level???

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Aug. 13, 2013 9:06 p.m.

What is going on in these practices for crying outloud... one injury to a corner is a tough break, a second injury to a corner is maybe a coincidence, but a third injury to the same position??? Maybe the coaches need to take a look at what they are doing and how they are doing it... This crazy.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 8:48 p.m.

Lead story? This is sad.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 8:43 p.m.

Ok, now I'm worried. My freind at BYU said they still haven't heard anything, and he said most of them assumed he was ok, because he was stretching and walking after the "injury". Now he isn't so sure. He's a grad assistant there, so I'm not sure how much info he has, but he was positive that Leavitt's ok...I hope he's right. What's with his tweet being deleted? None of this sounds good for cougar fans. Losing 2 players in as many days from an already depleted position would be brutal.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 7:26 p.m.

Who's left on the roster that's not injured. Shoot, just play whoever is the least hurt at this point, seriously.

• kaspercasey gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 13, 2013 7:11 p.m.

The front 7 are going to have to come up big.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 5:51 p.m.

In the past couple of weeks I have seen a lot of regular commentors on these pages turn down the retoric and express compassion, concern and sportsmanship for players either injured, killed or involved in tragic events. None of the teams has been immune from these problems and most commentors have expressed classy concern for their foes trials and tribulations.

There are still a very few who still can't see the humanity, the reality of what's important in life and why sports are for watching the development and growth of all involved and not a basis for ranting about the value of a color or a logo or even the merits of an educational institution or religion. To them I pose a simple request.

Ask if you would want to be on the other end of your comment before posting.

If you can't be anything else...be kind.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 5:45 p.m.

According to a buddy of mine on staff at the Y, Leavitt will be ok. Probably keep him out of contact drills the rest of the week and re-evaluate. Toni is a huge loss, and according to him coaches are more upset about that because he was promising at NT. Stay healthy Cougs, and thanks for all the classy utes. Good to know that this is a heated rivalry but at the end of the day we're all good people with similar values. Cheers.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 5:40 p.m.

wow... Coming from a Huge Utah fan this just sucks. I hope he is ok!
    BYU has had serious injury problems to injury groups for at least the last 2 seasons. Last year it was the offensive line, this year the secondary. Call me crazy, but it seems like byu has a conditioning issue.

I think there needs to be a coaching change for byu... not bronco, but for whoever is responsible for conditioning.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 5:30 p.m.

@EdGrady,

U-State passes quite well, actually. That Chuckie guy...oughta check him out. I am not relishing in anyone's misfortune, by any means, but one has to think that BYU is in some serious trouble if things don't turn around in a hurry for the secondary. Not just meaning against U-State, but any team who has a decent passing game at all is going to be putting some serious pressure on BYU's corners this year. That said, I'm hoping for an entertaining and hard-fought game with an Aggie victory on Oct. 4. U-State vs. BYU is evolving into quite a good game every year.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 13, 2013 5:17 p.m.

First of all - Ute Nation apologizes for Chris B. He does NOT represent the Utah fan.

Second of all - let's hope that Dallin's tweet is correct and that he will be fine to play.

Nobody should delight at the pain and suffering of these kids. That kind of delight is hollow. Ute fans appreciated the support and well wishes from BYU fans at the tragedy that struck Utah a couple of weeks ago. True Ute fans wish for the speedy and complete recovery of BYU's players. True fans of the Holy War want hard fought wins and losses against teams that are at full strength, not depleted teams that can be run over.

Go Utes! Long live the Holy War!!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 5:09 p.m.

Sincere thanks to the Utah fans who have expressed their genuine concern for BYU's injured players. Nobody, except for a few shallow individuals who shall remain nameless, enjoys seeing any player suffer a serious injury.

Good luck to Dallin and a speedy recovery - even a hip pointer can be extremely painful, but is certainly something that wouldn't prevent Dallin from playing in a couple of weeks.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:58 p.m.

@ Chris B

You pitty me? Oh my goodness, not even sure how to respond to that? Another report has quotes from his family stating that Dallins injury is extremely minor. I'm also not sure why he would lie on his twitter account either. No need to pitty me; now I'm sorry, but that is funny. Ha Ha Ha

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:52 p.m.

Three comments out of 14 from Chris B on a short story about a possibly injured BYU player? I've seen people infatuated with BYU, but they are usually fans!

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:52 p.m.

It's sad to see a fan get so excited about even one opposing player suffering a serious injury, let alone, multiple players.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:50 p.m.

Good thing BYU doesn't play any teams early in the season that can throw the ball. Hopefully, some kids can develop by the end of October.

• Love skiing Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:47 p.m.

I don't know if the DN will publish this but the first article, that was pulled, stated that he had an ACL injury and was done for the year. I read it and commented and i was gone. I am not making this up. Don't reject this post because i read it right here.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:37 p.m.

@warnason, mattprince, and Spokane,

I pity all three of you if you believe everything from someone in a tweet.

No athlete wants to believe he's not seriously injured.

Hopefully for him that's the case, but to believe him solely because he said it on twitter....

come on now.

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:34 p.m.

Why is it every year in fall camp we lose players int he one position that we cant afford to lose people? BYU's secondary has always been the week spot, and we are losing everyone in that position! At this rate our 3rd stringers will be starters be default! this might be a very bad year for our passing defense. I seriously hope I am wrong.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:23 p.m.

Let's hope the media is over hyping this.

Guess I'll volunteer my ten minute forty, and ten pound bench press, to play corner back.

• JDPeppers VISALIA, CA
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:20 p.m.

Are they practicing on real turf or fake turf?....Something needs to change in what the Defensive Backfield is doing...Way too many injuries.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:16 p.m.

@54 - 10 - thanks for being respectful. I'm hoping you will be able to change your moniker to 10 - 54 after this years game.

I'm really hoping the other reports are true and Dallin's injury is not as serious as DNews is building it up to be.

Can't believe Kanuch is out for the year. I was sure he would make the two deep.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:06 p.m.

warnason is right. Leavitt's injury is extremely minor/nothing. Unfortunately Konuch's is season ending. I hate to see it. It's a fine line. You want your players in shape so they don't get hurt in the game(s); but you certainly don't want them hurt before they ever get to a game. It happens and it's very unfortunate. That's why depth is such a HUGE deal.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:44 p.m.

Tough breaks for all these corners.

An injury here or there is inevitable, but having 3 major injuries to your top 3 corners all from non-contact drills, you have to start to question

1) coaching and the drills they are doing

or

2) conditioning

• Funny/witty screen name Orem, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:42 p.m.

Leavitt just tweeted out that he's not even injured but still all these injuries are very unnerving... Keep heathy cougs!!

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:36 p.m.

Is it just me, or does this seem like an excessive pileup of injuries? I feel bad for those players, and wish them the best in their recoveries. Having been injured myself a few times, I can feel for them. Hopefully the coaches can figure out what's going wrong, because a trend like that, especially over more than just this year (see last year's O-line), is more than just coincidental. Sounds to me like they aren't being pushed to keep in decent shape in the offseason, and then when fall camp hits they fall apart--literally, in some sad cases. Best wishes to those players.

• mattprince123 Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:34 p.m.

This might not even be true, on twitter Dallin is saying himself that he isn't even injured...

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:28 p.m.

Hopefully Dallin just has a hip pointer or something else very minor and will return quickly. These kids work way too hard for way too long to lose time to injury.

Best wishes to him and Toni on full recoveries.

• warnason Provo, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:22 p.m.

According to Dallin's twitter account he is not injured

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:18 p.m.

Ok that's it. Just watch film until the Virginia game, this is getting ridiculous. Who's the conditioning coach these days? I mean c'mon. Now we will be without one of our talented D-linemen too. No more injuries please! Sheesh.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 3:17 p.m.

Sooner or later a good coach would tell his secondary guys to just watch practice.

You all think I'm joking?

Just wait to see what kind of career days receivers have against byu this year.

Byu's secondary is always bad, can't figure out why that is.

For some reason they just don't care about recruiting speed and depth at the corner position.

First string byu corners are typically not very good(see any in the NFL?)

A second or now third string byu corner?

Wow