Sports

Dick Harmon: Will BYU kickers be strength or liability?

Comments

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Aug. 13, 2013 5:02 p.m.

Too bad about Sorensen. I saw YouTube videos of this guy KILLING 50+ yd field goals as a junior in high school. And he did it regularly!

If I remember right, didn't he set the Utah high school state record with a field goal of over 60 yards?!

I thought he was absolutely destined for a very, very long career in the NFL.

And then, he got injured. Twice. Who in the heck falls off a unicycle? And then falls off a front porch? I know weird things happen to all of us and there's no way he WANTED to get injured. I just feel bad for him for what had to be an enormously college and pro career ahead of him.

Best of luck, Justin Sorensen. I hope you still accomplish all your dreams.

GO COUGARS!

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Aug. 13, 2013 12:22 p.m.

I truly hope the kicking game is better this year. There is no excuse for a top 50 team in Division 1 to not have an adequate kicker.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 11:52 a.m.

bronco will don his O-S-T jersey and do the kicking himself.

They whine when we post and they call us out when we don't. lol.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 11:03 a.m.

From what I've both learned and seen of the BYU offense this year, the kicking game won't be much of a factor either way. The offense will score more touchdowns than there will be fieldgoal attempts. People currently sitting on the sidelines regarding just how good this team is are going to be very surprised. And very pleasantly surprised if they are BYU fans.

And regarding those that aren't BYU fans... well, it's going to be a very sad year for people such as Chris B, AZUTE1, and Naval Vet.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Aug. 13, 2013 9:13 a.m.

We're doomed

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 8:30 p.m.

Based on what I saw at Saturdays scrimmage, I would say the kicking game will be much better than last year. I still wouldn't consider it a strength in relation to other positions this yr, but I don't think it will be a liability like last year either. So to answer Harmon's question...neither a strength or a liability, how's that for a solid answer? Lol

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 6:29 p.m.

Based on what I saw last season and how Bronco has said he would handle 4th down situations this year... liability.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    Aug. 12, 2013 5:58 p.m.

The kicking game hasn't been a strength since Matt Payne was in Provo. He consistently performed well in the kicking game, and DESTROYED any returner that got past the first line.

• BYU&UW FAN West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2013 5:51 p.m.

I only see improvement as a possibility after last year. I would be happy with an average kicking game. Last year was hard to watch.