BYU football: Taysom Hill leads touchdown drive in Cougars' first scrimmage of fall camp

• Jazzsmack Holladay, UT
    Aug. 11, 2013 8:18 p.m.

For me, the passing game is still in question.

Hill only averaged 11 yds per reception.

For BYU to have success (especially against the good teams) they need to average 12+ yds per reception.

But it is still early in SUMMER camp.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Aug. 11, 2013 6:42 p.m.

Chris B

"Been a while since byu had a qb lead a td drive."

Your utes resemble that comment too. In fact it has been a few years since u had a QB worth talking about.

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    Aug. 11, 2013 5:17 p.m.

I was at the scrimmage. Kicking team looked great even under pressure. QB's looked a bit mechanical. Ammon Olsen has a nice touch on the ball. Taysom Hill can run. Need to get the two strengths together on the same page. Adam Hine looks like the real deal. The team does look like a TEAM. I liked how Coach Mendenhall was working with the younger LB's and Poppinga had the mature group of LBs. Overall, i was impressed knowing we have a few more weeks to prepare. Many of the starters were suited up but did not scrimmage.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2013 4:22 p.m.

Been a while since byu had a qb lead a td drive.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 11, 2013 3:05 p.m.

I didn't mention the kicking game. I was really worried about that going into this season, but I'm much more encouraged after seeing all THREE kickers Saturday perform well. The punter listed as the starter was not only getting distance but high spiraling punts. I was pleasantly surprised with the kicking game.

Did u get as sunburned as I did, or were you smart and sat in the east seats? Lol

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 11, 2013 1:44 p.m.

Impressed with the breathless offense -- it made the fans pick up and notice more too. Everyone is moving and moving. It adds an air of excitement. It certainly doesn't give the defense time to switch players or evaluate what to do next.

If Anae is going to go faster, that has will be impressive.

I did laugh when Hill slide -- feet first -- and the crowd cheered. And when was the last time the crowd enjoyed watching field goals? We cheered with the nearlty flawless execution on kicks.

One other notable: the punters in practice were booming the punts 65-70 yards. We'll see how they hold up against hot opposition.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 11, 2013 10:25 a.m.

Jenny's new fetish is Taysom's knee.

After the Utes lose 3 games she will be gone like last year.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 11, 2013 8:18 a.m.

Why? Were you at the scrimmage or are you just trolling?

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Aug. 11, 2013 6:22 a.m.

Two games will decide the season,both are homes games. Sep 21st UofU comes to Provo and Oct 25th
    Boise State visits the Cougars. BYU was unable to recruit the best talent in Utah so the Utah game is huge and emotionally charged. The edge has to go to Utah simply because they have been successful recently.Utah plays twice as hard against the Cougars it seems than other opponents so how BYU responds will show what type of team they have. The next crucial game is Boise State a team that has owned Utah schools for the past decade. BYU had a chance to beat a depleted and inexperienced Bronco team last yeat but couldn't get the job done. It will be a tough game simply because Chris Petersen is one of the best coaches in the country. BYU @ home should have the advantage but my odds are a draw. The Wisconsin, Notre Dame and Virginia games are all away and its hard to speculate other than they will be tough.

• Jenny83 Logan, UT
    Aug. 10, 2013 10:23 p.m.

I'm thinking the Y QB's knee won't last too long!!!!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 10, 2013 8:24 p.m.

Y dad & cougsundevil:
    Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun taking my boys to the scrimmage. I've watched spring games and practices before but it seems there's more intensity in these. I'm also happy to hear Anae wasn't satisfied, because I thought the intensity was good even if the execution could have been better at times. These offensive coaches are tough on the troops but they seem to respond to it. Should be fun this year.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 10, 2013 7:51 p.m.

"The pace and altitude are going to take a toll on Texas."

These church boys are going to also show those worldly boys from TUN and their new defense what it means to get utterly exhausted and run over by your rival. A new feeling for them all!

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 10, 2013 6:50 p.m.

Agreed, thanks Cougsndawgs, wish I could have been there too. Sounded like a good scrimmage but I like that the coaches are not satisfied. No sleeping on this team. I like that too. Here's hoping for a really exceptional year!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 10, 2013 6:36 p.m.

West Point , UT

Thanks for the "civilian" input, would have loved to be there!

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Aug. 10, 2013 6:33 p.m.

I can just imagine what sort of stress visiting teams will be under with the Cougars snapping it after every ten seconds. The pace and altitude are going to take a toll on Texas. It will be a memorable season with a whole lot more push ups done by the cheerleaders

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 10, 2013 4:42 p.m.

The offense wasn't as fast-paced...seriously? I was at the stadium and watching the clock. 11-12 seconds between snaps, unless a penalty was called. They are seriously working on going faster than that? Wow...I was actually pretty impressed with the pace, but it's good to hear Anae still wants it faster and better. Should be a fun offense to watch this season. It still all hinges on the O-line coming together...they had a couple false starts and some holding, but the players themselves looked pretty good.