Utah football: Ute safety Reshawn Hooker's playing career is over

Aug. 13, 2013 9:03 a.m.

Ugh, hopefully he recovers and doesn't feel the longterm effects of such an injury.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 1:48 p.m.

I agree, I think Lozano quitting the team was a good thing. He knew what weight he needed to be at to play and if he didn't have the motivation to lose the weight he needed to then I'm glad his scholarship will go to someone else more motivated to play, especially when there are so many other players that will do anything they can just to see some playing time.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 1:43 p.m.

go read the previous posts, NO ONE is wishing injuries on any player. jenny83 simply stated "I think" Taysom will get injured again. I'm curious to know what post you read where anyone was wishing an injury on a player. Also, Taysom had a bad knee injury last year against Utah State and then another minor injury in the spring game. You don't have to be a medical expert to notice that he might be susceptible to knee injuries. And no one said Travis is less susceptible to injuries than Taysom, but I will say that it will help him that he put on 20-25 pounds this offseason to help with the grind of conference play, not to mention he did take a beating last year in conference games because of how bad our OL was at times and luckily he walked away with no injuries.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 1:34 p.m.

I'm not in a bubble, there is big difference between a lot of bad news and "a pile up of injuries to key players". I haven't ignored the tendinitis issue, I've just heard they still expect Blechen to play this year. If he has to take a medical redshirt then yes that would be a big deal and a loss of a key player. But if you think OL is our only area with depth then I don't know what team you've been following. We have depth at QB, Running back, WR, OL, TE and if our linebackers can stay healthy this season, unlike last year, then that could be a deep group as well. We're thin at safety and corner behind the starters and the 2 deep behind our DE and DT positions doesn't have a lot of playing experience. I never said our depth is going to propel us to a Pac 12 championship this year, I just think we have more depth at key positions this year then we've had in a while which I think can get us back to a bowl game and go 6-6 or 7-5 during the regular season

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 9, 2013 1:26 p.m.

Lozano quitting is probably a good thing, it frees up a scholarship for someone more deserving. Lazano sat out last year for being overweight and came in this year overweight. Injury is one thing but not being able to play due to being overweight?

I think we have issues on the defense with depth, specially with Hooker out and Blechan's tendinitis. But depth on the offense in particular at QB, RB, and OL seems to have improved. Are we where we need to be in order to compete in the PAC-12? Nope, that I think is two years away but I do see improvements from Season 2.

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 1:21 p.m.

ute fans ... The injuries are piling up as Ducky stated. You can't bury your head in the sand and pretend that your team won't be affected. Hope you don't have more.

Hooker (LB) gone for good (concussions)
    Moses Folauhola (DE) gone for good (medical issues)
    Carlos Lozano (OL) quit team
    Blechen (LB) may redshirt (tendinitis)
    McGill (CB) left practice early today with injuries
    Orphey (CB) left practice early today with injuries
    Oliver (RB) hurt his ankle.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 11:35 a.m.

EVERY player is subject to injury, so what "expert" diagnosis have you uncovered in your exhaustive research that makes you suspect that Taysom is any less durable than Travis, or any other Utah player?

As Duckhunter rightly stated, wishing injury on an opposing player is classless wishful thinking. That's not how any self-respecting program would hope to gain an advantage.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 10:51 a.m.

I like how you disappeared last year after the season started and the losses started to pile up. Especially since you were one of the ones predicting rose bowls and such. But tell me this, how does predicting, or wishing, injury onto a player show any sort of class? Why would anyone want to see any player injured and why would they predict it?

I can understand discussing a player that is injury prone in the context of durability but Taysom Hill hasn't shown any sign of being injury prone, he has suffered one injury, that is it. So is this just classless wishful thinking on your part or are you trying to make an actual point?

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 10:44 a.m.

I am glad that there is such a thing as a medical scholarship for athletes like Hooker. The education is always more important than scoreboard.

Blechen at 60% is still a force to be reckoned with. Red shirt talk is probably just talk. He isn't the type who will sit on the sidelines, so I expect he will be out on the field against Utah State.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Aug. 9, 2013 10:06 a.m.

I'm sorry to hear this disappointing news about Hooker. He has a lot of talent, and I was looking forward to watching him play.

Take care, Reshawn. Thank you for your contribution to Utah football, and good luck in your future endeavors.

Get that college degree!

• Jenny83 Logan, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 10:02 a.m.

I think the BYU quarterback will probably be out for the season after a few games. His knee is very frragile..

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 7:55 a.m.

Thank you sir. I think it is knee jerk reaction to me and that is ok because I do provoke at times.

That said I never wish injury or harm to anyone, ever. And I think it is very sad when a kid loses out on his dream because of an injury. And as you've noted none of this is a good thing for Utah, losing players hurts a team. But more than anything I wish Reshawn well for his future pursuits. He does get to keep his scholarship and finish his education doesn't he?

• byufanman west valley city, utah
    Aug. 9, 2013 7:30 a.m.

I'm sorry for Deshawn. Good luck to him in the future. The Blechen report is not good for the ute nation. You loose him for the year there is know way the utes go anywhere for post season play. The ute defense is suspect already. Good luck utes, its not looking good.

Go cougs!!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 9, 2013 5:14 a.m.

Football is a game where it can all be taken away at every turn. It's not for the faint of heart.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 9, 2013 12:46 a.m.

Sorry steelute but I'm still gonna defend Ducky. If you don't consider news about Blechen possibly red-shirting due to tendinitis, Hooker quitting because of concussions and a highly thought of freshman being killed in a car accident, all within a week not a lot of bad news - well I think you'll find a lot of people disagreeing with you. Add to that the fact that we've had a few academic non-qualifiers (or it so appears it will end up that way) who were thought to be contributors this year as well as Lozano quitting the team ... well, bottom line is that the depth we've been hoping for is going to have to wait at least another year. The one exception is what looks like a very deep offensive line.
    Nothing wrong with being real. We don't need to live in the same kind of bubble we so often accuse cougar fans of living in.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 11:46 p.m.

It's actually not accurate and the purpose of my posts is to explain why.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 11:31 p.m.

Jealous U:

So far our key players are all healthy so I'm not quite sure where you got "the injuries to key players at the U are beginning to pile up". So far a 4th string running back, 3rd string OL player (actually quit because he knew he couldn't get into playing shape), and now Hooker are out. 2 of those players would barely see playing time anyway and Hooker was a 2nd stringer who they were considering to switch from LB to Safety. He had potential to be a great player but to say he was a key player for us isn't true. If I was a Y fan I'd be worried about Taysom Hill and his knee considering the tough schedule you actually and finally have to play this year as well as this supposed "go fast. go hard" offense he will be running. Everyone seems to forgot he had a minor injury during the spring game which is worrisome after the injury he sustained during the Utah State game.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 11:13 p.m.

It's a little strange to find myself defending Ducky but why in the world did his comment get you guys all riled up? It was actually a very straight forward and accurate comment. Nothing to get worked up about folks.

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 10:45 p.m.

All in the past gored; all in the past.

It's Utah's turn to eat crow.

Duckhunter was simply being honest; the injuries to key players at the U are beginning to pile up and pose a serious threat to any plans the Utes might have had of finishing above .500.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 10:44 p.m.

If you look at Utah's past 2 recruiting classes you would see they actually are deep this year just not a ton of experience at every position. But it's ok because if I was a BYU fan I would ignore the recruiting rankings too considering how terrible the past 2 years have been for you guys since going independent. What's funny is our 2nd string pretty much beat BYU year. We didn't have our starting quarterback, running back, or both safeties ha ha

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 9:51 p.m.

Highland, UT

Nice jab after your heart felt concern over a kid's health.

Tradition, honor or spirit?

Aug. 8, 2013 9:34 p.m.

@jealous u

You and your fan base certainly know what crow tastes like.

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Better stock up on the seasonings; it'll make that September 21st crow taste alot better.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 5:13 p.m.

We may struggle against PAC 12 talent.

With our second string we still should have no problem finishing the 4-0 career SWEEP of our little brothers however.

PAC 12 second string talent > Sunday school boy 2 star "talent"

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:49 p.m.

That is extremely sad and I hate to see it. It seems like there are a lot of utah players being injured or dropping out of football altogether. lozano has left the team, hooker may be done, they are even considering red shirting blechen because of his injuries, and all of these guys in positions utah has little, if any, depth. None of that can be good news.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 8, 2013 4:09 p.m.

Take care of yourself, Reshawn. Life is more important than football.

Go Utes!

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 2:21 p.m.

I thought the Utes were still practicing in helmets and shoulder pads. How did Reshawn end up with a concussion when they're practicing with limited contact?

Good luck to Reshawn on a full recovery.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Aug. 8, 2013 2:20 p.m.

Too bad!!! Never like to see a player have to leave the sport he loves because of injuries!!! Get your degree and use it wisely!!!

Go Cougs!!!
    Go Utes!!!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 2:07 p.m.

Sad news for him.

Head injuries are just scary.

Whittingham always handles these situations with total class and support.

Go Utes!