Sports

Dick Harmon: New Polynesian Football Hall of Fame will honor stars with roots from Pacific Islands

Comments

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Aug. 13, 2013 4:56 p.m.

While a "Poly HOF" sounds nice, this is a mistake. A very big mistake.

If we have a "Poly HOF" then we'll have a "Black HOF" followed by a "Mexican-heritage HOF" and on and on and on. (Personally, I can just hear the outrage if anyone even so much as whispered support for a "White HOF"....)

Either way, the end result will be an "us" vs. "them" mentality.

How can we say "we're united and all the same" (whether in our country our or sports teams) if all we do is talk about how different we are?

I like what Bill Cosby said about race. He said he does not consider himself a black man, just 'a man'.

Where, oh, where, is common sense in America?...

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 5:17 p.m.

I don't have the energy anymore to get outraged at the double standards, but that said I have no problem with them making a Poly hall of fame. It doesn't affect me one way or the other so why worry about it?

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 2:29 p.m.

I actually think this is just fine and have no problem with it, but...I just have to point out that if there were to be a White Football Hall of Fame proposed, can you imagine what an outcry there would be?

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Aug. 7, 2013 1:48 p.m.

First inductee needs to be Vai Sikahema.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 12:13 p.m.

I don't see this as a "race" issue. Islanders can be proud of their own the same way each team has it's own Hall Of Fame separate from it's conference, league or association. Thanks to the Poly's for their athletic contribution to all of the schools in our state. The "Polynesian Pipeline" is a gold mine for the Utes.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2013 10:47 a.m.

@chrisbe

we may disagree on sports, but I agree with you on this.

I think a lot of those "organizations" keep racism alive.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 10:35 a.m.

@Ifelysofa,

We live in a world where as much as minorities claim they don't want to be treated differently, reality suggests otherwise.

Black History Month
    Affirmative Action
    Title IX

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 10:10 a.m.

I heard a sports nutrition and development coach describe Polynesians athletes as "Hybrid" athletes with both "Fast twitch" muscle as well as endurance.
    Thats why the race rocks.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2013 10:04 a.m.

not sure I like the idea... why the segregation?

Why not just "Hall of Fame"?

There are many great poly players who would and should be inducted.

Why does it have to be based on race?