Utah

Ex-deputy who caught wife, father together pleads guilty to assault

Comments

• moniker lewinsky Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 9:06 p.m.

I'm wondering why he pled. I think it would be pretty hard to find a jury that would unanimously convict this guy.

• agentbb007 Lehi, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 6:21 p.m.

Yeah definitely saw the charges getting lessened in this case, totally justifiable the way he reacted. So the real question we need the news to find out is if he is staying together with his wife??

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 4:06 p.m.

@joseywales: you're right. There are people that have some sort of resistance to alcohol that they may drink 4 or 5 beers and be ok with that and others with the same amount are out of their heads. I don't drink but since I didn't grow up in Utah, I was exposed to see people drinking.

However, what I've heard is you do get a little bit lighter in your head. Some people say inhibitions and secrets are out when drinking wine. Alcohol may be a factor but one doesn't have to be a scientist to know that just seeing your own father and the mother of your children being intimate under the roof that you pay and with kids and husband in the house will just get your head out of control in a second. I mean, what kind of people are those two who didn't care about hiding it at all? Maybe there were drinking more than one or two beers......

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 1:40 p.m.

Rational- Hilarious name with a comment like yours. Anyway, I guess you've never drank before?
    If you ever have the chance to get out of your mommas house and see the world, you'll understand that not everyone who drinks does so to get drunk. Most of us enjoy an adult beverage with dinner, or socializing with friends. I don't drink every day, not even close, however, just because I do, you think I'm an alcoholic? I actually know a few of those. They grew up in ultra conservative homes where alcohol was demonized and never talked about responsibly. Never learning the proper way to enjoy a drink responsibly, they just drank because it made them feel good, not because it was something they enjoyed. You could argue that there are lots of "social soda drinkers" because some of us can have one when we feel like it, yet there are others who fill up their 100 oz mugs every morning because they can't drink a cup of coffee.

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 12:44 p.m.

How humiliating! not only he had to see this betrayal in its maximum but now his name in the news? and who wouldn't loose his/her head? that father and that woman deserve no forgiveness. Really. Who does that in his own house when he AND the kids are under the same roof? how sick! Honestly, this is when the scarlett letter comes handy. I feel so bad for the husband but I wouldn't want to grow old with such a garbage of a woman.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Aug. 7, 2013 11:35 a.m.

Wife and dad in bed together . . besides "YUCK" the only appropriate responses I can come up with involve extreme violence. I don't think there's anything that could happen to wife or to daddy that would be too extreme or unpleasant. Honestly, this is one of those cases where "cruel and unusual" punishment should be mandatory, not forbidden.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Aug. 7, 2013 11:20 a.m.

Wow. This is beyond Peyton Place.

• Gregg Fish Black Lake, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 11:07 a.m.

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry.....

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 9:22 a.m.

"joseywales
    Park City, UT

"when I drink, I never get drunk"

The sentence repeated by every alcoholic everywhere.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    Aug. 7, 2013 9:10 a.m.

"I do apologize for my actions that night and I take full responsibility," Timothy John "TJ" Brewer told Judge Lyle Anderson before pleading guilty to assault and assault on a police officer, both class A misdemeanors"

I get the reasons to make such comments, however I can't find any fault with his actions, his wife and his father were engaging in the most discusting and treasonous acts, how is he supposed to deal with it? Hiya Dad, hey Bebe nice to see you getting along so well?
    He could have shot them both and doing so would have been completely justifiable. If he stays with her, he's out of his mind.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 7, 2013 8:13 a.m.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall at this family's next reunion.

• Bob Pomeroy Bisbee, AZ
    Aug. 7, 2013 7:58 a.m.

How is this 'assault on a LEO', the 'victim' certainly wasn't 'in the line of duty'. that charge should be immediately dismissed.

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    Aug. 6, 2013 10:02 p.m.

This story is destine for the Rolling Stone or at least a picture of Corky on the cover.

• Miss Piggie Pheonix, AZ
    Aug. 6, 2013 9:28 p.m.

@joseywales:
    "Too bad the dad missed the mark."

What mark?

"I can't fathom what it felt like to see your wife intimately entangled with your old man..."

There had to have been some signs... This just doesn't happen out of the blue. The son wasn't very observant, seems to me.

@Duh:
    "I have no idea what I would do given the same situation."

Sometimes joint ventures would provide time to work out any kinks.

• trekker Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 7:55 p.m.

What happens in Moab doesn't stay in Moab in ends up in court and the news. Poor guy I do not blame him.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 6, 2013 7:49 p.m.

Never had a drink but even with out I think most of us would have done something. (If we are honest)

The thing that I am most impressed is that he took responsibility. We all do stupid things and mistakes. I like most of you am pretty sure sure I would not have said opps sorry to bother you. Marriage would be gone and my relationship with my dad. Just a sad case. Guessing the relationship on both father and wife were not perfect or this would not have happened. Hope he is sincere. If so I too think he deserves another shot. If not we all would never do anything again. I am certainly not going to throw any stones. This guy is doing it right.

Most people have a skeleton that we do not know about. If we did we may have a harder time dealing with them. This guys is just now in the headlines.

• Joey D WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 7:09 p.m.

Is this the definition of relative humidity?

• Ruthey01 Bremerton, WA
    Aug. 6, 2013 6:36 p.m.

I agree with Aggie238, I don't blame TJ at all. Having been cheated on in a previous marriage, I know how he feels but from the female perspective. I think his father and wife needed to be the ones to apologize!

• Shawnm750 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 5:57 p.m.

@southmtnman - Since this guy was a deputy for Grand County, it's standard protocol to turn the investigation over to another police department to avoid any bias/conflict of interest.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 5:50 p.m.

@southmtnman

"This happened in Moab. What is the Utah County Sheriff's Office doing involved in this case?"

The accused was a law enforcement official in Grand County. Typically when a law enforcement official is charged with a crime, an outside, impartial agency will do the investigating. It prevents potential conflicts of interest and appearance of impropriety. It is common practice.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 4:48 p.m.

And why is this even in Court?

Seems like that is the best way to deal with the situation.

• Mugabe ACWORTH, GA
    Aug. 6, 2013 4:47 p.m.

Why does anyone think that this guy needs counseling? He just caught his father and wife intimately involved. Can we expect him to just bow and say, "excuse me?"

In my opinion, it is the father and the wife that needs counseling.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 4:35 p.m.

If I had been in his shoes and found that going on I'd probably have been up for murder charges. In my book the guy is a hero for restraining himself as well as he did. God bless him!

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 4:17 p.m.

Lets just say I would plead guilty, but not for assault, and it would have been two counts.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Aug. 6, 2013 4:16 p.m.

I have no idea what I would do given the same situation. I feel sorry for the guy. I know it isn't right but heat of the moment decisions don't always work out for the best. I too hope he retains his certification after he completes his counseling.

• Mark from Montana Aurora, CO
    Aug. 6, 2013 4:06 p.m.

Kudos to the prosecutors for not going for the excessive charges. More importantly, kudos to the deputy for accepting responsibility and pleading guilty. I personally hope he can keep his certification and his job. Seems like a stand up guy.

• southmtnman Provo, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 3:42 p.m.

The article reports: "But after a 'thorough investigation' by the Utah County Sheriff's Office..."

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 3:23 p.m.

Too bad the dad missed the mark. I'm not certain I would handle this situation any better, except that when I drink, I never get drunk, so maybe I would have had a little more sense, but who knows? I can't fathom what it felt like to see your wife intimately entangled with your old man, I'm sure that would send most of us to the edge if not over it.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Can't say I fault the guy. I'd say his dad ought to consider himself pretty lucky.