Sports

BYU football: Robert Anae, Cougars looking to restore 'BYU brand of offense'

Comments

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 8:30 a.m.

@Ldsfan

Yeah... After three losses in a row to Utah that fourth game is a "mark it down... in the books" victory.

• kosimov Riverdale, UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 5:05 a.m.

I suppose it is OK to try to guess who will win or lose, but, it can get mean and out of control. After each game the team tries to take it all in, then, at least tries to move on. Whatever happened in the game will have an effect on the next game played regardless of what is "predicted" here. So, "guessing" who will win or lose doesn't really make sense unless you believe the game depends on nothing but statistics compiled before the season begins, and whether the coach is popular with fans. That doesn't allow for the emotions, motivations and potential of the players and coaches. How many times has an athlete, coach or team been pegged wrong by pre-season prophets, only to break out and shine when the game starts? I like to read comments here because there are some very knowledgeable people here who can teach me about the game, but there are also some real "dill pickle and lemon" personalities who like to pretend the sky is falling, hoping their remarks will affect the game(?) BYU will play hard and do well. I'll enjoy AND support them, win or lose!

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 9:24 p.m.

I just don't see the wins. Good defensive front and linebackers. New offensive line, coordinator. Winning 8 games would be very impressive. Idaho State and Mid Tenn are the only sure wins.

Virginia. Loss travel across country.
    Texas. Loss too much speed
    Utah. Win
    Middle Tenn win
    Utah State loss.
    Georgia Tech win
    Houston loss in a muggy offensive game as most offensive players return.
    Boise loss.
    Wisconsin loss
    Idaho State win
    Notre Dame loss
    Nevada loss. This could happen in Reno.

4-8 could happen and is very realistic.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 9:06 p.m.

Is Lavell coming back?

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Aug. 3, 2013 4:33 p.m.

I have to agree with Bronco relative to last years offense. It was indeed rather offensive!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:44 p.m.

@Josh-R-Posh

Bronco threw Doman under the bus?
    ******

You say that as if someone might be surprised...

• Josh-R-Posh Charlottesville, VA
    Aug. 3, 2013 2:22 p.m.

Big News: I just talked with Brandon Doman's cousin (in Boston), and got an inside scoop. Contrary to what Bronco said, Brandon Doman didn't actually get full control of the offense. Doman really wanted to start Taysom Hill by the second game of last season. But Bronco retained control of the offense, and was obsessed about starting Riley Nelson...and we all saw how that turned out. It turns out that Bronco Mendenhall actually threw Brandon Doman under the bus. So don't be surprised if the "new" offense performs like last year.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 11:41 a.m.

"Isn't this the same Robert Anae that was run out of town on a rail three years ago?"

We'll find out in a few weeks if this is the same Robert Anae that used to coach at BYU. Either way, it will be better than what BYU had last year on offense. Doman is great for the program, just not as offensive coordinator.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 11:27 a.m.

eastcoastcoug, I think BYU is merely affording Ty Detmer the dignity of choosing what he wants to do for a living. Trust me, he doesn't need the money - he made millions in the NFL with no entourage or bad habits to spend it all on, has a monster ranch that he rents out for hunting, and is living in a place he loves. He also loves coaching, thus the high school gig, but believe me, it is not because he needs the pitiful money he gets from it. Notice, he doesn't teach at the high school. For all we know he may be volunteering his time.

It amazes me how many Cougar fans cannot understand why Andy Reid is not the head coach and Detmer running the offense with Steve Young as QB coach (or vice-versa). Don't you think that if these people wanted to coach at BYU, they could? We shouldn't let wishful thinking negate our logical thought.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Aug. 3, 2013 10:15 a.m.

I would like to see R.A's offense become less predictable.Perhaps the hurry-up offense they will be using will at least keep defenses off balance.

@GoRed, I realize you were trying to be provocative by claiming that R.A. was run out of town. But the truth is all Bronco did was request for all coaches to reapply for their jobs next season. R.A. decided to go another way. There is a distinction there whether you want to admit it or not.

Being "run out of town" can be more aptly illustrated in what happened a few years back where a coach who I'll refer to as J.F. was given a vote of confidence by the school's AD in spite of a few lackluster seasons. But despite that vote of confidence he was abruptly fired when the season was over.

A few years later that guy coached an NFL team to the Superbowl. Have you heard of a program that fits that narration?

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 9:59 a.m.

@eastcoastcoug

"... never really closing the deal on a national breakthrough..."

Brilliant description of the so called BYU "national brand".

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Aug. 3, 2013 9:35 a.m.

It all comes down to the O-line and the kicking game this season.

Ty Detmer was mentioned...I've never heard a serious report on why he isn't on the coaching staff. The guy's a genius at offense, has years of NFL experience, coaches HS for a living and needs the money, and would be a great playmaker.

I expect BYU to be like they've been for the past 40 years of my watching them...brilliant at times, perhaps winning one big game but then losing at least 2 or 3 others they should win, breaking fans' hearts and never really closing the deal on a national breakthrough (going to and winning a BCS Bowl). I hope I'm wrong, but we all know the actual pattern here.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 3, 2013 8:14 a.m.

"I don't think it is the toughest schedule in BYU's history"

I agree. I have only started to pay attention and follow BYU since the mid 90's, but I doubt this is the toughest. People like to think it is, and the media likes to tell it is, but if people go back in history they'll see BYU had some very tough schedules. Even the WAC has some monstrous teams in it at times, and add that to the OOC schedule.

I think I read that Arizona last year had more snaps than Oregon. Anae can make a very fast-paced offense and it will be fun to watch. He had BYU in the top 25 basically every year with his offense and that will continue this year. He's a great offensive coach and with a really good defense still in place, BYU will score more touchdowns to beat the likes of BSU, ND, and ut.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 7:50 a.m.

Glad to see Anae back.

BYU brand of offense is code word for having a great running back and severely under utilizing him.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Aug. 3, 2013 7:49 a.m.

I'm game. Bring it on! It's either going to be a great year or an unfortunate year. I believe they can have a great season, but I also know that if they don't play hard every game and execute with precision and heart, they can lose some real heart breakers. Go Cougs!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 3, 2013 7:06 a.m.

@BYU alum,

"I say that this is the year to especially beat Utah and Boise State. Go Cougars!"

How I hope that happens this year, but we've been disappointed so many times before, especially against Utah! If nothing else just to ease the pain of listening to the vitriol from BYU haters.

Go Cougars! And good luck to the Utes too except against us!

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 6:59 a.m.

A 10-2 or better season is not out of reach.
    My early prediction was confirmed by Hans Olson on 700 sports at 6-6 with a game going either way at 7-5 or 5-7 similar to the utes.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Aug. 3, 2013 5:17 a.m.

Anae=retread.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 3:28 a.m.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 3, 2013 1:27 a.m.

BYU's offense will be very good this year. Taysom Hill, Jamal Williams, Cody Hoffman, and Ross Apo will put up a lot of points.

Go Fast, Go Hard, Go Cougars!

• Down under Eugene, OR
    Aug. 2, 2013 11:48 p.m.

I can see BYU surprising Texas at home and will also beat BSU and will go 10-2 and play in a major bowl game this year.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Aug. 2, 2013 11:23 p.m.

4 WEEKS TO GO

Time to get this show started. Enough of the yackety yack.

BYU is a great school and has had great teams in the past and the 2013 version looks to match those teams.

Utah has a killer schedule with some great teams on the slate and little change for a bowl but with the recruiting classes recently will start to build a consistent winning tradition.

Utah State is gaining respect throughout the nation and is now in the MWC so things are definitely looking up.

Let the games begin...in 4 weeks.

GO COUGARS!!

Go Utah in the other 11 games.

Go Utah State in the other 11 games.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 10:54 p.m.

Time will soon tell. With all the preparation and skill set, it sounds great, However, as with any football team, you don't know until they hit the field how it all pans out. A change of direction was needed. Now we need to stay healthy in fall camp and come out throwing, running, and winning especially in the first three games! Building confidence will go a long way. Robert Anae is the guy that can instill that confidence. He has the experience.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Aug. 2, 2013 10:20 p.m.

I don't think it is the toughest schedule in BYU's history. Right now it looks about as tough as last year when five of the teams we played ended in the top 25. Of course, we won't really know until the end of the season.

I am excited to see the new offense. Putting in a new offense and expecting it to be good in one season is quite high expectations, but go Cougs!