Sports

Beehive State's best QB has monopoly on experience and stats

Comments

Aug. 17, 2013 12:08 a.m.

@Sambone

Oh we do exist. You just like ignoring it.

Aggie238

You are getting personal and that's not ok. Should I come to you for help with my non existent "issues"? The Pro Bolw is just a game for guys who won't take a snap in the SuperBowl to play in. And puff their chests saying "I made the Pro Bowl look at me please".

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 16, 2013 5:40 p.m.

Stang,

Dude, take a chill pill. I didn't say anything about you that you haven't volunteered yourself either here or on the HJ boards (I forget which). It's not like I posted your SSN.

I don't know anything about your dad, and I'm sure he's a great guy, but his opinion on the Pro-Bowl is suspect. While the Pro-Bowl isn't watched as much as the Super Bowl, it's still the NFL All-Star game, and it is a pretty high honor to those who are selected to play in it. Most people recognize that. Again, your thinking is obviously so skewed that you can't bring yourself to admit that anything good ever comes out of Utah State. Most other college sports fans would have no problem acknowledging that there are plenty of Aggie players who have done some pretty impressive stuff in the NFL, along with many other players from other schools. You need to get your issues worked out, man. It's not healthy.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2013 3:15 p.m.

"Get out of your own head and know that there are players in the NFL and elsewhere that aren't aggies."

Yeah I'm pretty sure none of us have even come remotely close to making such an inane claim that only Aggies are in the NFL or elsewhere. Sounds like that warped mind talking again.

If your logic says the Aggies have done nothing, than the T-birds must not even exist in the first place! lolz

Aug. 16, 2013 2:35 p.m.

It's no secret there are more Aggies then Thunderbirds. The aggies just haven't done anything. Glad you see it that way The A Game. Last year was a fluke. I'm not an avid NFL fan. But I know enough about the NFL to get by. That is personal and you had no right to say that. In the words of my father the pro bowl means nothing. Just a bunch of guys that won't get a chance to play in the SuperBowl. Get out of your own head and know that there are players in the NFL and elsewhere that aren't aggies. I don't need help and that crossed the line. If you know me then yo should know what I do If not, which none of you do then just shut up and don't bring anything personal on this page. I'm a college fan not a big NFL fan. That's the end of it.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 16, 2013 11:54 a.m.

Stang,

Apparently you don't ever watch the NFL (which is ironic, since you seem to set that standard as the end-all-be-all of football). To put it in a vernacular you'll perhaps understand better, since you're in the thespian business from what I hear, getting an invitation to a Pro-Bowl is very similar to winning a Tony Award. In other words, you can't get to a Pro-Bowl by being a "flash in the pan." Let alone multiple PBs and SB rings like many of these players have done. And if that doesn't count in your estimation, then I have to agree with Sambone and conclude that your thinking is clearly so warped by your hatred of anything remotely Aggie related that you are not capable of normal, rational thought. In that case, you really ought to go see a therapist and get some things cleared up (I'm not even joking about that). You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, and everyone but you knows it. Maybe you should quit before you get any further behind.

• The A Game Logan, UT
    Aug. 15, 2013 10:02 p.m.

Whenever Stang talks about the Aggies, I literally get chills. I just love it when he shoots down every argument somebody brings up. Chuckie Keeton and the Aggies are just one big fluke.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Stango, if Aldridge, Turner, Bush, and Kragen having (multiple) super bowl rings and pro-bowler statuses counts as nothing and they are "just other players," your thinking is clearly warped. So I guess since Sorensen doesn't have a super-bowl ring, he's done nothing (that's your logic, FYI).

Just because you haven't heard of those Aggies, doesn't mean their accomplishments mean nothing. It just proves how little you know about USU's past players.

Quit being a poor sport and give credit where credit is due: the Aggies have had many more players in the NFL (and currently do) than the T-birds. That shouldn't be controversial or offensive to anybody. And I'm not even trying to rub this in. It's just a plain fact.

Keep making my life easy.

Aug. 14, 2013 5:08 p.m.

Did they do anything? NO they did not. And it's no suprise the only aggie name I knew on there was Olsen. Because the rest are just flash in the pan players. Yeah yeah yeah a feild goal away and yet they lost and watched from the sidelines. In your eye's but in the real world he does not. Wagner lost out on his shot at the SuperBowl so he is just another player. Nothing great just another player. Keep making my life easy.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 2:53 p.m.

Wow, Stango, just wow.

Olsen, Aldridge, Turner, Kragen, Cooley, Penn, and Bush are ALL AGGIES. There goes your argument. Poke Poke Poke.

And you forgot the Seahawks. Bobby Wagner was runner-up defensive rookie of the year last season, and they were a field goal away from playing in the NFC championship. Poke Poke Poke.

Aggie238 proved beyond a shadow of a doubt he has a much stronger leg to stand on than you do.

Aug. 13, 2013 5:33 p.m.

Then you should show some respect for us. You just made my point easier. They weren't aggies so they were successful because they didn't have big heads. The only aggie you meantioned was Olsen. Doesn't sound like he did anything but making the pro bowl in the NFL. Poke Poke Poke. I'll tell you when the season is over and we see how San Diego does. You have nothing to say. No leg to stand on so just keep quiet. I'm sure your Thunderbird alum parent's would be dissappointed in you.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 2:49 p.m.

I only know about SUU because I am from Washington Co. and my parents went to school there. I didn't even insinuate that those players were Aggies. I drew a comparison, stating that if you were going to throw Merlin Olsen's accomplishments out the window as "nothing noteworthy," then you'd have to do the same for those players. Anyway, Olsen (DL) was 14-year Pro-Bowler, All-American, and Outland Trophy winner. Lionel Aldridge (DL) was an All-American, and finished with two SB rings (Green Bay). Jim Turner (PK) held a pro-record for 34 field goals scored in a season, and has one SB ring (NY Jets) and played in one other SB. Greg Kragen (DL) has three SB rings, and was also a Pro-Bowler. Chris Cooley (TE) was a Pro-Bowler. Donald Penn (OT) currently starts for Tampa and is a Pro-Bowler. Jarrett Bush (DB) plays for Green Bay and made several key plays en route to GB's SB win. This is not a complete list, but you're capable of navigating Wikipedia, I assume, for further info. Pray tell, what have former SUU players accomplished in the NFL?

Aug. 13, 2013 1:57 p.m.

@Aggie238

You never miss a chance do you? Didn't he go to Westminster? That's what I was talking about. But you are right. You are wrong. you clearly know about SUU. But then again you are a no one so maybe you are right. Yeah but really who remembers the Merlin Olsen era? Peyton Manning, Steve Young, Jerry Rice weren't aggies. Have those 13 players done anything worth noting in their carrer's? What I mean is winning any awards, helping their team get to or far in the playoffs, and more importantly playing in and/or winning the Superbowl. No they have not. Not even close. Just keep talking and I'll poke holes in your logic. Poke Poke Poke.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 13, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Stockton's kid? Meaning John Stockton? Meaning Gonzaga? Um...I'd say Gonzaga is one of the MORE well known schools in college basketball. Anyone who knows anything about college basketball knows about Gonzaga. No one knows about SUU.

Merlin Olsen ring a bell? Fearsome Foursome? He's still considered one of the best defensive tackles to ever play the game. If that's not worth noting, then you need to throw out Peyton Manning, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, and a bunch of others as no-account JV players. Utah State currently has 13 players on NFL rosters. SUU has four, only one of whom has actually played a down.

Aug. 10, 2013 1:11 a.m.

Get something straight. I'm not the only fan. Just the only fan that comes foward here. And we are clearly far from unknown. The school that Stockton's kid came from is unknown. No frenzy here Sambone you need to know the difference between that and a passionate fan. Only good player? Matt Cannon, Tysson Poots, Fesi Sitake, Decker Alexander just to name a few GREAT players that donned Thunderbird red. And who are those "aggie greats" I forget those names because they made no impact in the NFL. No impact worth noting anyway. Yes you never heard of the players meantioned but what does that mean? Nothing at all to us.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 7:51 p.m.

The conversation always goes in circles when some unknown university's only fan gets involved.

But I gotta say, it NEVER gets old whipping said fan into a frenzy! I hope Sorensen gets whipped tonight by the Seahawks. Former Aggie greats versus the only good player in some unknown university's history.

Go Aggies!!

Aug. 8, 2013 6:58 p.m.

What points have you made? None worth talking about. The 6-5 campaigns do in fact count. Especially the one where we got a conference title. Well you should be because after all USU deserves it as well as every individual trophy and conference title there is. I firmly believe USU is the best school in the nation.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 3:06 p.m.

I've done my homework, Stango. Deal with it. And if I haven't, then how come you haven't refuted a single point I've made?

"After one count em one winning season why don't we just give USU the national title."

The Aggies went 7-6 in 2011, so that's back-to-back winning seasons. If you're going to insist on not allowing that to count, then the T-birds' back-to-back 6-5 campaigns don't count, either. So that's zero winning seasons for the T-birds.

And none of us are talking about winning a national title. Simmer down.

Aug. 8, 2013 2:09 p.m.

You have done no homework. I'm sorry I've been so ill-informed guys. After one count em one winning season why don't we just give USU the national title. After all they deserve it, they are clearly the best team in the country even though they were ranked in the lower top 25 and couldn't even get a sniff at a national title game. USU clearly rules the college football world and I've learned my lesson.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 8, 2013 9:14 a.m.

Stang,

Cal hasn't done anything noteworthy since 2006. Even when they won 8 games in 2011 it was mostly against FCS and sub-par FBS teams. As Utah is finding out, being in the PAC does not make you a great team automatically. Nobody in their right mind would today claim that Cal was better than Utah State last year. Tooting your horn about how you made it close for a couple of quarters in an early-season game against a bad team that won 3 games, mainly against cupcakes, just makes you look worse.

UNLV? Seriously, I don't know why SUU fans even brag about that one. And that was almost 3 years ago. It's only a step above beating your little sister's powder puff team. Beating a team with 6 wins in 3 years against the worst teams in the MWC? Not exactly something to brag about. Good for SUU, but not impressive outside of Cedar.

"That was 2011. What about 2012?" Actually, in 2011 we went 7-6. In 2012, we went 11-2, beating 3 teams who were ranked in the Top 25 during the season.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 4:08 p.m.

@Stang08

Cal went 3-9 last year. How does that even begin to suggest they are currently better than us? And considering their superior resources and recruiting to USU, they have just about no excuse for doing as poorly as they did. The fact that a "better" program allowed that many points from the T-birds is laughable.

UNLV has won exactly 6 games in the last THREE YEARS.

Wyoming has been incredibly inconsistent since Dave Christensen became coach, and Idaho was tied for dead last as the worst FBS team in the country with Colorado last year. Even before that, Idaho was on a huge slide.

I think it's entirely fair to say we're much better (and in a much better position moving forward) than all of those programs.

The BigSky only fared marginally better in 2012 against FBS competition.

I've done my homework. Have you? Sure doesn't look that way. Look outside the world of SUU and your precious BigSky conference.

Aug. 7, 2013 2:01 p.m.

One little comment and everyone losses their minds. Let's look at another game The A Game. Cal who is much much better then USU let the Birds score 30 points on them before they got their heads in that game. So the loss to your aggies woke my Birds up and prepared them for a real fight. Sambone just because you had one great season doesn't mean you aren't at the same level as UNLV, Wyoming, and Idaho. That was 2011. What about 2012? Or this year? Both of you need to do some research and look at the world outside of USU. And outside of your precious FBS ranking.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 12:24 p.m.

I'm pretty sure "Quality BigSky teams" is an oxymoron. So what if Cal Poly beat Wyoming? Or Eastern Washington beat Idaho? Good FCS teams beating bad FBS teams isn't impressive.

If the SUU game was any accurate indicator, I bet not one team from the BigSky last year would've given the Ags a run for their money. NOT ONE.

In fact, more often than not, the BigSky gets torched by FBS competition. Let's not forget that league went 6-87 against FBS competition in 2011.

• The A Game Logan, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 7:21 a.m.

You've got a good point. I tip my hat to the T birds for actually scoring against the Aggies last year. Another 30 points and it would've been an interesting game. They sure gave USU's third stringers a run for their money.

Aug. 7, 2013 1:45 a.m.

@The A Game

No one down in Cedar is invincible. And last I check no high school teams ever came to SUU to play the Thunderbirds. Only quality BigSky teams. Teams that given the chance would give your aggies are run for their money.

• The A Game Logan, UT
    Aug. 6, 2013 10:44 p.m.

That's because no one in Cedar ever gets hurt. Chuckie probably wouldn't have either if he was playing high school teams year after year too.

Aug. 5, 2013 9:50 p.m.

I was just stating a fact for that one 54-10. He was a fragile little freshman and couldn't stay on the field.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2013 6:01 p.m.

Stang08
    Southern, UT

A joke about a kid who got hurt - keepin it classy.

• Ironmomo Ogden, Utah
    Aug. 5, 2013 7:20 a.m.

Definitely the best QB in the state last year. He put up some incredible numbers against some great competition. Hopefully he can have another great year.

Aug. 3, 2013 1:02 a.m.

@Aggie238

I was making a joke. Althogh it's true he hasn't played his entire carrer because he was a fragile little freshman. Learn to laugh at jokes.

• byufanman west valley city, utah
    Aug. 2, 2013 8:16 p.m.

It's been a privilege watching chuckie quarterback USU. I wish him all the best for this coming season and I hope he will be at his best when he plays against my cougs.

Go Cougs!

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 12:19 p.m.

It's great when the three major universities in the state have strong football programs. A high tide raises all ships. I would much rather see Utah State with an excellent team than not. In no way does that diminish BYU and Utah's standing.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 8:18 a.m.

That said, I'm excited to watch Chuckie again this year. He has been a huge part of U-State's turnaround, and hopefully we can find someone from the same mold to replace him when he graduates and moves on to the NFL.

• HawkAlum SANDY, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 7:44 a.m.

A fabulous qb and an even better person. As a byu fan, I'd kill to have this guy running our offense.

Go cougars!

Aug. 1, 2013 11:32 p.m.

Great so he is getting fake money for playing on a sub par team for less than two years. Remember girls he was injured for the better part of his first year.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 8:05 p.m.

I don't care what anybody says, Chucky Keeton is the best QB in Utah and one of the best to play the position in this state for years.