Sports

BYU football: BYU, Fresno State agree to home-and-home series in 2015, 2017

Comments

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 4, 2013 10:31 p.m.

SpokaneUte:
    " Question: I know who the Cougs are, but who are the Dawgs in your screen name?"

Sorry, didn't see this question until now. The Dawgs in my screen name is for Goergia. Been a Dawg fan since I was 8 yrs old when I used to live there. GO DAWGS!!

• lanius Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 12:39 p.m.

BYU had to. Utah didn't.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 3, 2013 7:15 a.m.

Uteology

LOL over your obsession to archive and bring up quotes from me, Duckhunter and PAC 10.2 Doormat over the Utes decision to schedule Fresno over BYU. As Duckhunter said so eloquently above... the hypocrisy is rampant.

BYU scheduling Fresno St doesn't change a thing except from the crimson bubble view from the kids on the hill.

Fresno State is an upgrade from Idaho State and Northern Colorado, that's all you will get out of me but the fact remains Utah skipped BYU for Fresno State.

BYU improved its schedule. Utah didn't. Period

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 1:08 p.m.

Lotsa utah "fan" hypocrisy here, I don't see any BYU fan hypocrisy. BYU fan panned utah because utah scheduled fresno to replace BYU. utah "fans" have been thelling us that is the case for months now. utah didn't replace BYU with michigan, they replace BYU with fresno they claim.

BYU on the otherhand scheduled fresno as a game, not to "replace" anyone else, not because they are better or worse than anyone else, simply because they are a game for the schedule.

The best part of this has been motrtrike's and val's "frantic and emotional" posts and in naval's case it was particularly desperate. LOL!

And of course neither of them can point out one single post where a BYU fan has claimed fresno is a "top" or "great" team, nor can they supply one quote of a BYU fan claiming what they said BYU fans claimed on utah articles about fresno. In otherwords hypocrisy and dishonesty are rampant among utah "fans". Now news there.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 2, 2013 11:37 a.m.

@CougsnDawgs
    Fair enough. It's really time for Utah and BYU to start beating the better teams. Both have proved they can beat the weaker teams, but just can't get it done against the better teams. Let's hope for better results this year and good luck to the Cougs as well. Question: I know who the Cougs are, but who are the Dawgs in your screen name?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 2, 2013 10:54 a.m.

SpokaneUte:
    "When you have to go to the other's recieving votes to end off the rankings; does it really matter? Both team have a lot to prove; I'm sure we can both agree to that. With the schedules; the opportunity is certainly there".

Nope, I agree it doesn't matter, which is why I implied that in my comment to Ute buster. I was only pointing out that i disagreed with your assessment that the same could be said for Utah.

I agree that both teams have a lot to prove, but I like how you called it opportunity. That's why this feels like one of the most anticipated exciting seasons ever, because the schedules have lots of opportunity for all big 3 programs to prove themselves. Good luck to the utes.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 2, 2013 7:57 a.m.

@CougsnDawgs

When you have to go to the other's recieving votes to end off the rankings; does it really matter? Both team have a lot to prove; I'm sure we can both agree to that. With the schedules; the opportunity is certainly there.

@Wisccoug

Always enjoy your well though out comments; Rock On Guy!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 4:16 p.m.

SpokeUte:
    Fresno is only 5 spots ahead of BYU, not "well ahead"...ya, nice try. Utah is what?...like 30-40 spots behind Fresno. Not really comparable.

I agree that both schools will need to be much better to have positive outcomes this yr. Good luck to them both, and the Aggies who will squeak by Boise and win the MWC.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:36 p.m.

SpokaneUte & Motorbike:
    I think there's some truth to what you guys are insinuating but the argument you're making doesn't fit the context of the situation. BYU fans made fun of Utah for scheduling Fresno State in REPLACEMENT of BYU. At least I speak for myself and I believe Wiscoug and some others, that what irritated BYU fans wasn't the fact it was Fresno St as much as the fact the Bulldogs were who Utah decided to replace BYU with instead of a higher quality opponent. If the roles were reversed, I don't think you would have any BYU fans agree to replacing the Utah rivalry with Fresno St. I love the rivalry (though I could certainly live without it) and REPLACING the rivalry game for Fresno wouldn't make me or other Cougar fans very happy (even though Fresno is a solid program).

Ute buster:
    "The coaches poll that came out today shows Fresno at #31, well ahead of Utah. I think this is a good trade and will provide a quality opponent".
    That may be the case this yr, but Fresno is up and down, so who knows where they'll be ranked in 2015.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 1, 2013 2:28 p.m.

@Ute Buster

I gues the same could be said for Utah, since Fresno is well ahead of BYU. Nice try though.

Utah faces 5 preseason top 25 teams. BYU face 4. A daunting schedule for both schools. Time to step it up a notch.

• Ute buster Eugene, OR
    Aug. 1, 2013 12:37 p.m.

The coaches poll that came out today shows Fresno at #31, well ahead of Utah. I think this is a good trade and will provide a quality opponent.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Aug. 1, 2013 11:57 a.m.

RE: Spokane Ute

I too agree that Fresno State is a solid program--not one that I'm overly excited about playing--especially in November, but a good program nonetheless. I also agree with you that many BYU fans probably think more highly of FSU now from what they felt when Utah dropped BYU to play them... fan bias affects the best of us.

Where I take issue is making sweeping generalizations about entire fan bases, based on the opinions of a handful of vocal fans. Most fans don't have to backpedal or flip flop because they never expressed their opinions in the first place. As you (Spokane Ute) are one of the more reasonable anit-BYU posters I think you can appreciate that. Cheers.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 1, 2013 11:42 a.m.

@ Wisconsincoug,

You may want to revisit comments by CougarOnTheProwl, Zorro, Sports Authority and Cougar Independence. All iterated the quality of Fresno, as they should. Did numerous BYU fans feel just the opposite when Utah scheduled them? Absolutely, don't kid your self.

The fact of the matter is that Fresno St is a pretty solid program. The best? no, but certainly far from the worst.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 11:33 a.m.

@Skywalker

That is a good point, but may I suggest that there are more important things in this life than money (heaven forfend). I don't think the LDS church or BYU are in financial trouble. It's cool to be on television, but are kickoffs at 8:30 in November worth it? I think it would be in the best interest of the players to have all conference honors awards, championships to play for, etc. I think playing in the MWC would provide an easier path to the BCS. USU was on chip shot field goal away from the Orange Bowl.

@NavalVet

Valid points there. None of the original MWC are scheduling BYU, but I don't think they are trying to get them on the schedule. I just had to point out the article that Harmon wrote and how ridiculous it was. When two out of three teams are scheduling with BYU, it's not a boycott. When Fresno State and Nevada bailed on the WAC because of "the Project," I thought they wouldn't schedule BYU, but it proved they have no hard feelings. Good luck to your Utes--except when they play the Wildcats!

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Aug. 1, 2013 11:24 a.m.

RE: Spokane Ute, Motorbike

Of the now 41 comments on this board, I find exactly ZERO BYU fans who claim Fresno is "wonderful" or a "tough opponent." At least three did concede that FSU is in good recruiting territory, and most have stated that FSU is a "good" or "quality" opponent. I assert that Fresno is a step-up from Idaho and New Mexico State (former November opponents) and agree that it is a decent regional matchup.

If you are going to make generalizations about BYU fans please back those up with actual evidence. I would love to see what you can dig up that shows "BYU fans backpedal on everything they said about Fresno St." I rarely read and almost never post on Utah articles, so I don't know what was said but I would guess that a few anti-Utah trolls (yes, we have some of those too) said what you're suggesting, while actual BYU fans posted about how dropping BYU for Fresno is a step down (which it was).

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 1, 2013 10:48 a.m.

@ Motorbike

My thoughts exactly. When Utah scheduled Fresno, all you could hear about is how weak they were and how they scheduled a patsy. Now that BYU has scheduled them, they are wonderful; a tough opponent, that opens up recruiting territory. Hypocritacal to say the least; but par for the course.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 10:16 a.m.

REVERSE!!!

LOL!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 1, 2013 9:21 a.m.

@talkinsports
    Gilbert, AZ

@LonestarRunner

"Are you seriously suggesting that Fresno State is a tougher opponent than Utah? And that BYU should replace Utah with Fresno State for recruiting purposes?"

Funny, how absurd that sounds when you substitute Utah for BYU, but that's exactly the narrative Utah fans have been pushing since Utah replaced BYU with Fresno State.

-------------

Why is it so hard for BYU fans to understand? It wasn't about replacing BYU with Fresno State.

It was the combination of Michigan, Utah State, and Fresno State replacing BYU. BYU fans are fixated with the weaker of the three teams because that gives them some talking points.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Aug. 1, 2013 9:20 a.m.

I live in Oregon and was born here. The rivalry between Oregon and Oregon State is intense, but it is fun. I am amazed to see the vitriol in the Utah/BYU rivalry. I can only assume that it is based on a religious dispute.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 1, 2013 9:18 a.m.

Wildcat:

"Wait a minute...Dick Harmon assured me the Mountain West was boycotting BYU...I can't remember if the Purloin in Provo Game against SDSU was when they were independent or not--frankly I don't really care to look it up, but let's say it is, that leaves only four teams in the conference they haven't played or scheduled since then: Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, and New Mexico."

First off, that "Purloin in Provo" game against SDSU was back in 2010, when the Y was still playing in the MWC, so that just shot your assumption down to "H-e-double hockey stick".

Second, the only MWC team who had ever played a down vs. the cougars as a fellow MWC peer, who had agreed to schedule the Indy-WACers since they announced their intention to secede, was TCU. And THAT game was a one-off in TCU's backyard. All those OTHER MWC teams (Haw, SJSU, FSU, UNR, USU, and BSU) were playing in the WAC back then (2010). Thus far, neither SDSU, Wyo, CSU, AFA, nor UNM -- the "original MWC teams" -- had agreed to schedule our little brother.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Aug. 1, 2013 9:08 a.m.

Wildcat

"If BYU is already loading up MWC teams because the big conference teams are demanding 2 for 1s, why not just play in the conference?"

two "words": ESPN, BYUtv

BYU has a MUCH better contract with ESPN than they'd be part of as a member of the MWC.

And, having unfettered access to re-broadcast any BYU game televised by ESPN.

By staying Independent, BYU has much more flexibility in scheduling big name teams like Notre Dame, Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, and USC. Plus, having ESPN as a partner opens the door to made-for-television games like BYU's games versus Oklahoma and TCU in Dallas Cowboys Stadium, and future similar games with versus West Virginia and, likely, Nebraska.

The slight down side is having a tiered-bowl structure with better bowls for better performance, but that's being addressed, and with the ever-changing landscape of college football, nobody knows for sure how bowl tie-ins, or even access to the playoffs for the MWC, will play out in the next few years.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Aug. 1, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Solid game in November - I'm happy with the schedule. Holmoe is doing a great job.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 1, 2013 9:03 a.m.

LonestarRunner:

No, motorbike was commenting on how "hilarious" it's been "watching BYU fans backpedal on everything they said about Fresno St when Utah scheduled them." In no way can that be interpreted as motorbike "suggesting that Fresno State is a tougher opponent than Utah". You frantically and emotionally made that up. Just another strawman from little brother. Typical coug.

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 8:53 a.m.

Uteology

#34 BYU ended up playing a superior opponent in their bowl than #39 Utah.

#35 Tulsa (ranked even higher pre-bowl) > #56 Ga Tech (lowest ranked team of the four)

BYU's "ceiling", was finishing in the Top 25, #25 Coaches/#26 AP, better than all but 7 teams in Utah's entire history!

Utah's "ceiling", was not getting a single vote in either poll, as usual, and playing a New Year's Eve game in El Paso, ugh!

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 8:51 a.m.

Wait a minute...Dick Harmon assured me the Mountain West was boycotting BYU.

This year is a good schedule for BYU, but the future schedules aren't too thrilling...yet. They should really try to get in the Big 12, but I don't they will come calling. The Big 12 is pushing eastward.

If BYU is already loading up MWC teams because the big conference teams are demanding 2 for 1s, why not just play in the conference? I can't remember if the Purloin in Provo Game against SDSU was when they were independent or not--frankly I don't really care to look it up, but let's say it is, that leaves only four teams in the conference they haven't played or scheduled since then: Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, and New Mexico.

A lot of fans on this board want to play Air Force, and I don't blame them, but that means basically three teams are keeping you out of a conference. Why not just join, and play in what essentially replaced the Big East as the last AQ?

Good pickup, especailly late in the year.

All the best,

your pal Wildcat

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 1, 2013 8:02 a.m.

@LonestarRunner

• Utah Alum Orem, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 7:55 a.m.

motorbike

Playing a tough schedule is meaningless if Utah doesn't win. Except for scheduling three in-state opponents, and two of them expected to be very good, Utah had very little to do with the projected toughness of their schedule. It's simply the luck of the draw.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 12:34 a.m.

dden45

"People only disparaged Utah for scheduling Fresno in place of scheduling BYU because Dr. Chris Hill was afraid to play both BYU and Michigan. Don't pretend it to be anything else."

No need to pretend, it's all still in writing if you want to search the past articles. No question about it my friend, plenty of your cougar buddies "disparaged" Utah for more than you choose to admit in regard to scheduling the bulldogs.

And by the way, when BYU plays a schedule as tough as what Utah now faces each year, then and only then will we listen to your silly remarks about who Utah chooses to schedule with it's remaining 3 games.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2013 12:23 a.m.

motorbike

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 1, 2013 12:00 a.m.

CougarSunDevil
    Phoenix, AZ

Uteology

I'd take the New Mexico bowl over the bowl game the Utes went to last year.

---------------

Like you had any choice, that was your ceiling after Utah pounded you 54-10 @LES.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    July 31, 2013 11:11 p.m.

Who leads the all-time series between BYU and Fresno?

• dden45 Provo, Utah
    July 31, 2013 10:51 p.m.

• Zorro Bakersfield, CA
    July 31, 2013 10:38 p.m.

This was a great rivalry in the making! We always loved going to the FSU game!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 31, 2013 10:22 p.m.

It's hilarious watching BYU fans backpedal on everything they said about Fresno St when Utah scheduled them.
    Suddenly Fresno really is a good recruiting game and is a solid opponent.
    I love it.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 31, 2013 9:46 p.m.

I'm glad both teams are putting the past behind them.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    July 31, 2013 9:26 p.m.

Uteology

I'd take the New Mexico bowl over the bowl game the Utes went to last year.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    July 31, 2013 9:26 p.m.

BYU has not played Fresno State in a long time so it will be good to rekindle an old WAC rivalry. Fresno is a solid program so I am good with this future match up.

• Smart Aleck Vancouver, WA
    July 31, 2013 9:12 p.m.

Funny how both BYU AND Utah play Fresno St. in 2015 but some commenters will seek to disparage BYU for scheduling this game.

Nobody gets to schedule EVERY game tough. This is a nice regional game to balance out the schedule.

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    July 31, 2013 9:03 p.m.

howie

Remind us how Utah's "warm-up" game with Utah State went last season. As SSJ mentioned, MWC teams have begun to schedule the Utes as a warm-up game.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 31, 2013 9:01 p.m.

Howie---I doubt the utes beat Weber.

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    July 31, 2013 9:00 p.m.

Howard S.

And Utah plays Colorado in November as what, the annual pillow fight in the Rockies to decide which team gets to spend the next 8 months in the basement?

That tells you all you need to know about just how relevant the Utes are.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 31, 2013 8:56 p.m.

@talkinsports

I agree, it's a great game for recruiting North Cal and it's much better than playing teams like Idaho State in November.

But you are playing 3 MWC teams in Nov 2015. Now if you can only get the Boise game moved to November. If so, then you can unofficially challenge for a MWC title and a chance at the Vegas Bowl.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 31, 2013 8:55 p.m.

@Howard,

You are mistaken. Fresno plays Utah as a warm-up game in September not the other way around.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 31, 2013 8:34 p.m.

@talkinsports

Utah plays Fresno as a warmup game in September... BYU plays them in the November, in the heart of the schedule...

That tells you all you need to know about the relative stature of Utah and BYU... and Fresno.

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    July 31, 2013 8:33 p.m.

Howard

"Didn't the Big Sky pass over BYU...?"

No, but after seeing Utah get manhandled on their home field by 10-loss Colorado, No. Colorado reportedly asked the Big Sky to extend an invitation to the Utes.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 31, 2013 8:28 p.m.

talkinsports, first off, "ute alumni" isn't a Utes fan, he/she is a Utes troll.

Secondly, no Utah fans have mocked BYU's series with Fresno, simply pointed out the irony behind BYU getting a home-and-home with them after so many Cougs fans mocked Utah for doing so.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    July 31, 2013 8:14 p.m.

"Utah enhances their exposure into northern CA by playing Fresno" -- Jeeves

"...how many games exactly would be too many to play in a recruiting rich state?... I applaud this decision [by Hill and Whittingham to schedule Fresno State]" -- Naval Vet

"Any chance Utah gets to increase exposure to California schools should be taken." -- ute4ever

"go witt... great selection. fresno state has a stellar track record as a football powerhouse" -- ute alumni

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    July 31, 2013 8:00 p.m.

I'm not thrilled about this matchup for November, but it is a step up from Idaho and New Mexico state, and is consistent with what Holmoe has been doing (placing easier games before difficult contests, i.e. Wisconsin, ND, Nebraska, USC). This is probably a wise move for BYU, it's just hard to get excited about.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 31, 2013 7:37 p.m.

"Fresh Fresno cupcakes... LOL" -- sammyg

"Can we say... desperate to become bowl eligible" -- PAC 10.2 Doormat

"I am certainly enjoying this development. LOL! ... how come utah couldn't get a 2 for 1 with fresno?" -- Duckhunter

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 31, 2013 7:34 p.m.

@deductive reasoning

Join the Big Sky... Didn't the Big Sky pass over BYU just like every other football conference in the country?

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 31, 2013 7:21 p.m.

BYU needs to schedule Air Force. They have an opening each year beyond 2015. That is really the only game from MWC I miss.

Get AFA inked!!!

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    July 31, 2013 7:14 p.m.

howie

Colorado in November... might as well join the Big Sky.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 31, 2013 6:58 p.m.

Glad to see BYU get more quality November games on the schedule. Also a road game in recruiting hub of California is always nice.

Now watch utah fans try to down play the series, just don't tell them about how Utah didn't have the moxy to play BYU and chose to play this MWC team instead - Fresno State.

At least Fresno State has the moxy to play BYU. Wish I could say the same for the little brother on the hill.

Go Cougars!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 31, 2013 6:56 p.m.

Fresno in November... might as well join the MWC.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 31, 2013 6:20 p.m.

Its ironic that Fresno State had already scheduled a series with Utah in the recent past. Fresno is a fairly strong program that typically has a winning record, so it is the type of program I enjoy seeing.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    July 31, 2013 6:18 p.m.

Great job Tom!

A November home-and-home with an up-and-coming program in the heart of fertile California recruiting territory.