Utah

Salt Lake City teen returns home after missing for 12 days

Comments

• Brother Benjamin Franklin Orem, UT
    July 30, 2013 2:09 a.m.

I do not think this story was necessary to write about. It unnecessarily provokes worry and fear where it does not need to exist. This girl was found safe and no crime was committed against her.

Let us focus our efforts in the media towards those who go unreported who are being harmed.

• Western Rover Herriman, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:26 p.m.

Having the mental capacity of a 12-13 year old makes a lot more sense, as one can easily understand letting a 12-year-old wander downtown Salt Lake unaccompanied (as I did at that age, without a cell phone). Maybe someone said her capacity was five years behind her chronological age, and the reporter misunderstood?

• DrGroovey Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:13 p.m.

Actually, her school teachers and therapists say that she has the mental capacity of a 12-13 year old. The misinformation about her being mentally 5 is wrong and has totally twisted this story into something it isn't.

Perhaps someone in the media will be willing to talk to her school and verify this because most readers won't believe me?

• Mrs TAP Bountiful, UT
    July 29, 2013 4:13 p.m.

I'm happy to hear that she has returned home. I can only imagine the torment her family was experiencing while she was gone!

• Downtime Saint George, UT
    July 29, 2013 3:23 p.m.

If she functions at the level of a 5-year-old, she has more issues than just being bi-polar. Glad she is home safe.

• Question Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 29, 2013 3:22 p.m.

Why no details on what happened?

It bugs me a little when the family, the police and the media ask the public for help, and then when they are found... you hear nothing. At least this time they told us she was found. But no info on what happened.

I think if you ask the public for help and they help you find her, then there should be a public explanation of what happened.

I have to agree that leaving a 5 year old alone at the mall every day to take care of themselvs doesn't seem wise. Especially if they are bipolar.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    July 29, 2013 3:11 p.m.

I agree with @splitme2, If she is bi-polar and functions at such a low level, why was she simply dropped off? Where were her parents? They should be charged with child endangerment.

• Cleetorn Fuaamotu, Tonga
    July 29, 2013 2:47 p.m.

When I was 5 years old, my mom dropped me off at the front door on my very first day of school and watched me walk inside. What she didn’t see was that I walked straight past my new Kindergarten class, through the school and right out the back door. Why I did that, I haven’t the foggiest idea. That was over 50 years ago in a completely different age. How anybody could do anything remotely similar to that in this day and age is beyond comprehension. Who drops a 5 yr. old off anywhere unaccompanied and expects everything to be just peachy?

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2013 2:41 p.m.

A lot of us were worried about this kid. I'm glad she is safe.

• splitme2 West Jordan, UT
    July 29, 2013 1:29 p.m.

If she functions at the age of a 5 year old; why is she dropped off in Salt Lake by herself? That would not make any sense to me-I would keep better track of her.