Pedaling for principles: Houston cyclists choose to not ride on Sunday

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    July 25, 2013 3:18 p.m.

Chris B is quite right. Indeed, at least twice per year, to support LDS General Conference, a large, paid staff of technicians and etc. are required by their employer - the LDS Church - to work on Sundays.

If avoiding " work" on Sundays was really that important, NFL players would be disciplined for breaking the commandment, and Church leaders would ensure that nobody in their employ would work on Sundays.

Only in that context does it make sense to praise these bikers for not riding (working?) on Sunday.

And if they truly were trying to follow the teachings of Jesus, then they would not have done this "alm" in such a way as "to be seen of men".

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2013 10:43 a.m.

I have been in the state long enough to have heard many people say they wont work on Sundays, due to their religious beliefs. This includes my co-workers, when we have big projects that require working on Sundays. I also know that a former BYU player Eli Herring was lauded by Mormons for choosing NOT to play in the NFL DUE TO the games being on Sunday.

My coworkers should not have had problem working Sunday since work required it I thought?

And why would Eli Herring have any reason to mention Sundays in his explanation for not wanting to play in the NFL? I thought if it was your work it was perfectly ok?

Are you suggesting no Mormon leader has ever encouraged/told Mormons not to work on Sundays?

If its perfectly ok to work Sundays, Mormons wouldn't need to ever say they can't or even don't want to work on Sundays.

If its perfectly ok then its perfectly ok.

If its not then its not.

The article applauds them for not biking Sundays.

If they had, and won a big race, they'd be highlighted as "Mormons in sports" in this paper!

• NM Trish Bloomfield, NM
    July 22, 2013 8:36 p.m.

Good question, Chris B. I'm sure you know the answer already - you just want to stir things up? But no doubt there will be some who actually don't know how most Latter-day Saints approach this situation. The quickest answer: If your employer requires you to work on Sunday, you work on Sunday. Hospital staff, doctors, nurses, police, firefighters, national sports team members, pilots, gas station attendants, grocery store clerks. . . and on and on. What you are overlooking is that this was not a job these men were involved in. It was a voluntary bicycling event. I believe their choice to stay off their bikes on Sunday was an honorable one.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 22, 2013 11:57 a.m.

But I thought it was ok to do stuff on Sunday?

That's what Mormons told me when I commented on Mormon athletes playing in the NFL.

If its perfectly ok to play on Sundays, then its perfectly ok to ride your bike on Sundays.

If you celebrate when people don't do things on Sundays, then its not perfectly ok apparently.

So which is it?

• Colene in Texas SPRING, TX
    July 22, 2013 12:13 a.m.

Houstonians. But thanks for the kind words.

• D. Christensen Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2013 4:07 p.m.

What a great accomplishment for a group of guys, with determination, dedication and achievement for all of you!

And to make it to church on Sunday, and on time, too!!!

We are all proud of you Houstonites and cheering loud here in Salt Lake City, Utah for all your great efforts and best of all for a great cause, MS.

• NM Trish Bloomfield, NM
    July 21, 2013 3:37 p.m.

Filo Doughboy: I'm sure you're aware that their Sabbath is not the Jewish Sabbath, is not the Seventh Day Adventist Sabbath, and etc? No matter, really. The point of the article is that these men were providing a great service by bicycling from Houston to Austin for the MS 150 Ride, and still managed to do so without violating one of their core principles: keeping the Sabbath Day holy (their Sabbath happens to be on Sunday).

Congratulations to Neal Rackleff and David Jones on achieving their goal. I like their philosophy: (Quote) “Besides contributing for a really good cause, I wanted (to do the one-day trip) for my kids,” said Rackleff. “I wanted them to know that their dad would not ride on a Sunday.” (Close Quote) Yes, your children are watching, far more than they are listening.

• Filo Doughboy Bakersfield, CA
    July 21, 2013 1:26 a.m.

Excellent principles, just wrong designation. Sunday is the first day if the week, Biblically called "The Lord's Day", commemorating Christ's Resurrection.

The Sabbath Day always has been the seventh day of the week, the one on which God rested following the completion of all His creation. Sheva is seven in Hebrew, Shabbat coming from the root (shoresh) meaning to rest.

But Jews have only been celebrating this for over 4,000'years. What do they know...

• Andy Horlacher Sandy, Utah
    July 20, 2013 10:57 a.m.

Yeah, way to go! Great article and awesome effort, teamwork, camaraderie and of course -- principle.