Faith

Record-breaking reunion planned for Joseph Smith Sr. family

Comments

• EmmaJoy Monroe, UT
    Aug. 7, 2013 3:36 p.m.

I am a descendant and I went to this reunion. And it was truly amazing. I always love going and participating in these.

• dotGone Puyallup, WA
    Aug. 1, 2013 7:08 a.m.

I loved reading this story. It even brought a tear to my eye. Earth life is hard! It's messy! But people survive! There are grandchildren! Descendants find the gospel or at least happiness! I love history! Those people back then, in the gospel and out of it, worked so hard and sacrificed so much - and suffered so much and now (yay!) we have it pretty easy! To grumblers, I say "you are bringing up First world problems!!!" Get some gratitude!

• grandmagreat Lake Havasu City, AZ
    July 29, 2013 11:01 a.m.

I am also a decendant of Joseph Smith, and would love to attend the reunion, however, age and health prevent me from doing so. I wish my grandchildren who live in Utah were more into family History, perhaps they would be willign to attend. It can be really exciting to do some family history and find out who your related to back in the 18oo"s and further. Hoe the weather is great for this reunion.

• jenbruggeman toquerville, UT
    July 23, 2013 1:29 p.m.

You don't have to be a descendant to participate in the 5K. Information can be found at http://josephsmiraclerun.com/.
    You don't have to be descendant to volunteer. This will be a great thing to participate in. There are already over 400 people planning to attend!

• KellyWSmith Sparks, NV
    July 21, 2013 6:17 p.m.

A family reunion of the descendants of the Joseph Smith Family is an historical event. It would be just as momentous as one for the descendants of George Washington or Benjamin Franklin. To know who we are is to know who our ancestors are. To celebrate the births of thousands of descendants of anyone of historical importance is to see what we ourselves can do. To put it down is like trampling on sacred things.

My parents have 5 children, 25 grandchildren and 20+ great-grandchildren. They beam whenever they see any of their posterity. I would love to attend a family reunion of those descendants of my ancestors who came from Europe 100+ years ago because it creates something wonderful inside of us. It helps us know that the decisions we make today will affect thousands (millions) in the future.

Those who keep the covenants they have made are promised eternal posterity. Those who have chosen another path will not have that same blessing. This is the type of thing that really matters and not the endless, silly and superfluous current events of our day.

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    July 21, 2013 10:36 a.m.

I was refering to some of the negative comments. I enjoy these type of articles.

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    July 21, 2013 2:03 a.m.

Re: Hardly.

Sorry you don't think so.

• kiddoc Bountiful, UT
    July 20, 2013 9:43 p.m.

This week we visited the site of the home where the Joseph Smith Sr. family lived at the time of young Joseph's leg surgery. There is now a Sunoco gas station on the site, near where the Mascoma River empties into the Connecticut River in West Lebanon, N.H. The area is still quite rural, and there is a peaceful feeling there.

Have a wonderful family reunion! Wish I were spry enough to run the 5K with you!

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    July 20, 2013 5:22 p.m.

I've been involved in family reunions that were not on this scale, but were important to the family. For one, an article was in a local paper and many people commented to me that they enjoyed reading about hundreds of relatives getting together to talk history, socialize and try out a wide variety of dishes. It is upbeat news, and makes interesting reading. Little Any and Bro. Ben, would you rather read about some tragedy, or a crime or a family conflict that escalated into violence?

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    July 20, 2013 3:52 p.m.

Some people need to take a deep breath and find a hobby..

• Nana Sid West Jordan, UT
    July 20, 2013 1:56 p.m.

Dear Brother Ben--

It's current--happening in August. And it's an event--a gathering of descendants of a significant American historical figure.

If the descendants of Benjamin Franklin had a major gathering, it would also be news.

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    July 20, 2013 1:14 p.m.

Almost makes you wish you were a descendant.

• Brother Benjamin Franklin Orem, UT
    July 20, 2013 10:39 a.m.

And how exactly is something like this relevant to current events? Who cares...

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    July 20, 2013 7:05 a.m.

There's a documentary that I can't think the name of covering decendents of Joseph Smith. Some great conversion stories from the past 4 or 5 decades from the documentary, and articles from the past few years. Do'nt remember exact numbers, but maybe around a thousand. Some not realizing their ancestry, and a few from the Church of Christ.

• PLM Kaysville, UT
    July 19, 2013 9:36 p.m.

Do they need volunteers to help with the reunion?

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    July 19, 2013 4:16 p.m.

This will be neat-o with lots of blessings for all!