Sports

BYU football: Wide receivers confident under new coach Guy Holliday

Comments

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    July 21, 2013 8:35 p.m.

"All the cougar faithful have a high confidence level this early in the season, check back with us after about seven weeks of the season and rate the confidence then when it really counts."

As opposed to Ute fans, most of whom realize that the 3-9 season predicted by some websites is optimistic, at best.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    July 20, 2013 5:50 p.m.

BYU has a good stock of receivers, so proven, some showing potential. I'm hoping this coach can bring out the best in them.

@Silent Lurker, to whom shall we check back to around week seven? You?

Please tell me about a fan base that isn't confident and optimistic a month+ before the season starts?

Oh right. A good portion of the fans at the U are facing a pretty grim reality before the first game has even been played. Can't say I will lose any sleep over that dilemma.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 20, 2013 9:05 a.m.

• GD Syracuse, UT
    July 19, 2013 5:13 p.m.

I'm looking forward to seeing Brett Thompson. I think he could be one of our best receivers. This is sure a boring time for sports.

• AustinN Provo, UT
    July 19, 2013 3:59 p.m.

I have seen a couple comments about how our offense will be better this year then last year. It isn't that hard to be any worse than last year. It will help that anybody not named Riley Nelson will be playing QB which means that we will have a QB who can actually get the ball to Hoffman, Apo, Falslev and the rest of those boys.

• Coastal Cougar Florence, OR
    July 19, 2013 2:07 p.m.

I, too, was sorry to see Coach Cahoon leave and hope that the rumor of him helping out with the team is true. However, I watched a highlight video of him playing in the CFL and it is clear that he had mastered his craft. With as much innate ability as he had, I wonder how he conveyed to his players what came naturally to him. You can teach all the skills in the world, but in the end, you have to have the natural talent to go up and catch the rock. Coach Holliday apparently has the wherewithal to coach his players into success. I, as many, am excited to see what's coming this year...

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    July 19, 2013 10:51 a.m.

@What in Tucket, not only how to get open but how to focus in catching the ball before making other moves. I thought I heard from ksl that Cahoon going to do some stuff with the team.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    July 19, 2013 7:59 a.m.

IF there was a coach who could teach a young man how to get open I thought it was coach Cahoon.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    July 19, 2013 6:32 a.m.

When all is set and done, no matter who the coach is, it will all come down to the o line and the qb. If the o line can do it's job and the qb is a decent passer, then there's hope and excitement good things will happen. It doesn't really matter how good the receivers are if the ball never gets to them. Let's hope all parts of the offense will click harmoniously this year. We're due for some much needed respect that is earned on the field against the big boys. I'm tired of the disdain and utter disrespect by hateful fans of a rival who has supposedly moved on to greater glory and don't want to play us anymore. I can't wait for Sept. to come around. It's the only game I will root against them. I hope for a reverse of the 54-10 humiliation they gave us.

Go Cougars! and good luck to the Utes too except against us!

• AntiSNOT Taylorsville, UT
    July 18, 2013 11:21 p.m.

This offense is going to be miles and miles better than last years was. I see this offense scoring 35 pts a game, average. If our our O Line really comes together well, we may be in the top 10 or 5 offenses in the country with this current group of receivers and running backs. Best combo of receivers and backs that we've had in a very long time. It's going to be a good year. I'm predicting 9-3 with a bowl victory as well, but with a few lucky bounces, you never know on how special this season could be...

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 18, 2013 9:37 p.m.

Cahoon was the one offensive coach I was most concerned about losing. But I think Holliday is going to get even better production out of the WRs. However, I'm most happy that Roderick changed his mind and went back to Utah. Holliday is a much better coach. If anybody can get Apo to reach his potential it's Holliday.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 18, 2013 7:59 p.m.

It would be nice to see Apo have a breakout year. He probably has the most raw ability of any of these receivers but just hasn't made the impact yet. With Hoffman likely facing double teams and safeties over top, Apo and Matthews have a chance to really show their stuff. I'm excited to see this fast paced offense and how it will translate to success on the field.
    GO COUGS!!