Opinion

What others say: Save awesome for when it's awesome

Comments

• RichardB Murray, UT
    July 11, 2013 9:48 p.m.

awesome column.

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    July 11, 2013 1:38 p.m.

Clever!

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    July 11, 2013 1:03 p.m.

... or Really???

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    July 11, 2013 12:49 p.m.

Did we just get transported back to the 80s? I, quite frankly, don't hear the word awesome used very frequently in modern conversations. If you want to talk about an overused word, try EPIC.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    July 11, 2013 11:12 a.m.

"Awesome" is today's equivalent of "groovy" in the 60s. In the 50s it was "cool." In the 1940s it was "solid." In the 20s it was "swell." Bluenoses objected to them all. Fortunately, these things pass.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 11, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Ned, this one is close to my heart. And I can be verbose, especially in emails. I wrote that one at work, where I often tend to obfuscate my communication. Anyway, thanks.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    July 11, 2013 8:42 a.m.

Wow, Hutterite. Usually you are short and to the point. Today, verbose beyond words. Extremely awesome!

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    July 11, 2013 8:41 a.m.

There are a lot of words to describe things, but when I think of myself, or how others think of me, I'd per-fur the word righteous. It is a law abiding good guy.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 10, 2013 3:46 p.m.

There are lots of overused words in the lexicon. Awesome is one. Extreme is another. Every outdoor sport is now extreme, and lots of indoor ones. Ultimate shares the same problem. Ultimate suggests none can or will be better, and the things or situations often referred to as ultimate fail to live up to the billing. Another one is outrage. Everyone it seems is either in a state of, or wants me to be in a state of outrage. Rage. Which I must display. Sorry, I'm just not that mad about a lot of things. I get to survive another day that way. The language today is like a consumer good. Wasted. Overused. Throwaway. Inconsequential. As for me, few things inspire me on any given day to awe; when they do it's special for me. I guess you could say it's awesome.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 10, 2013 3:28 p.m.

Very humorous column - except for the part about puppies. Poor innocent puppies - why drag them into this?

People are always looking for words to use as descriptors - "cool" "neat-o" "swell" "sweet" "wicked" "boss" "awesome" - this is nothing new, and no big deal.

If the popular use of "awesome" prohibits you from using it to convey your meaning, find a new word - there are many to choose from including, but not limited to, astonishing, awe-inspiring, beautiful, breathtaking, grand, imposing, impressive, magnificent, majestic, moving, striking, stunning, stupefying, terrible, terrifying, wonderful, and wondrous. Or do what all the initial authors of those words did and create your own word. If you use it often enough, and it is catchy enough, it will enter the lexicon and in a hundred years or so, its meaning can be likewise perverted.

Expecting "awesome" to be put back into its box is like expecting people to stop using "car" and going back to "automobile" - the chance of that is somewhere south of "between slim and none."

And if we are going to address misused words, can we first start with something really annoying like "pacific" ("specific") or "axed" ("asked")? ;)