Cedar Hills boy dies in accident at Scout camp

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 14, 2013 8:19 a.m.

"He slipped and fell underneath the tires of the trailer that was carrying the trash," he said."

I went bike riding with another bishop here in Cedar Hills and he told me it was rule #1 in his ward that you NEVER ride on a trailer at scout camp. He said there had been other close calls in the past and thus the rule was enforced in their ward.

I just think some things are common sense and having kids riding on trailers should be a no no. Having said this I'm certain the leaders of the ward feel horrible and are devastated. God bless this poor family with the loss of their young son.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 12, 2013 10:52 a.m.

He was the camp counselor for our troop, they're all devastated at this accident. Prayers to the family.

• Kelliebelle66 West Jordan, UT
    July 11, 2013 4:52 p.m.

If you look at the thousands of boys who participate in Scouting every year the amount of deaths during Scout camps or activities is very rare. I think boys who are just hanging out goofing around without purpose are in more danger than a boy who is serving at a scout camp. My son was walking to the library the other day and was hit by a car in a cross walk at a stop sign. The driver wasn't paying attention. If I looked at things like Midwest Mom I would have to stop allowing my child to walk a few blocks to the library. Also the leaders' desire to continue the camp doesn't mean they are trying to sweep things under the rug. They want the boys to have a good experience at the camp despite the tragedy. And you can bet they are looking at ways to make things safer in this situation of having the boys pick up trash. You can't always predict what will happen until it does. I am grateful for Scouting and the role it has played and is playing in my sons' growth into men.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    July 11, 2013 11:26 a.m.

This was just a tragic accident. The Scout did what he wanted to do in service of others, even with the removal of trash, so he should be honored for his efforts.
    We will all die in one way or another. Rocky just happened to leave this earth this way.
    Condolences to the family and fellow scouts. @ReneeBetcher - What a great opportunity to have participated in with the family reunion and visiting with Rocky. That's a memory to treasure.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    July 11, 2013 10:31 a.m.

I am glad, that as hard as it must be, we have heard from family members here. Thank you for your comments, and God bless you.
    I agree with oddman and others: This was an accident and could just as easily have happened anywhere. It's not anyone's fault, especially not the young man, the Scout leaders and the program.
    Prayers for peace for this young man's family, the driver of the truck, and all those at the camp.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    July 10, 2013 11:01 p.m.

There really are some articles that maybe the dn should consider not having a comment board for.

• oddman ,
    July 10, 2013 10:32 p.m.

Do people really believe all accidents are preventable? Accident means just that, as unforeseen occurrences are simply part of the experience of life. Tragic, oh yes, but it is foolish to think all accidents are preventable. There is much about this tragedy that we don't know nor will we every know. Falls occur to every one of us and to even suggest they are all due to improper safety measures is a little over the top. The Boy Scouts of America has always emphasized safety of the boys first and still does. It was an accident.

• Mac Dubh Hot Springs, AR
    July 10, 2013 10:15 p.m.

As my wife prepares to leave home tonight for her brothers funeral. It truely saddens me some of the comments,that some people choose to post without thought or regard.They choose instead to make a political statement or some belief that in their hearts they believe true. To be honest it is all I can do to be civil! Let me tell you about my brother-n-law,the scout,the student,the son.
    My point is no one here, truely knows what happened,but some want to use this to bash scouting.I will not say exactly what has been told to the family,but I will say all of the excuses or reasons you say could have prevented this is wrong! I am not a religious person per say,I have seen the worst in mankind from my time in service. Tonight I pray not only for Rock and my family,but for the other young men that was there who witnessed it and the person driving the truck. We will see Rock again one day on the high ground,so we can finish that last game of Madden.

• ReneeBetcher Hot Springs, AR
    July 10, 2013 9:58 p.m.

I know that he truly enjoyed being involved in the Scouts. I am one of his first cousins. I have so many wonderful memories from when he was little. I remember when he was born (always such a cute little guy!). Rocky was one of the sweetest souls I have ever known and our entire family is grieving. I do find some comfort in knowing that our family will see him again, but I am saddened by our loss and will miss him terribly until we too are called home to the Lord. Rocky was always so helpful and constantly maintained a positive outlook on life. Our family all saw each other three weeks ago at our Rhiddlehoover family reunion, and I am so thankful for the time I was able to spend visiting with him then. I am very proud of my Aunt and Uncle for raising him to be the fine young man he had become. We love you so much, buddy and you will be missed by us all. I pray for the strength and peace that his parents, siblings, and the rest of our family will need to endure this loss. He was so well loved!!!

• Grandma 20 Allen, TX
    July 10, 2013 7:00 p.m.

My deepest sympathy and prayers for the family, loved ones, friends and neighbors of this young man's untimely death.

I really wish people would find a better way to exercise than jumping to conclusions and running people down. None of us were there when the accident happened; let the authorized authorities do their investigating and come out with their report.

• WhatsUpDoc Draper, UT
    July 10, 2013 6:59 p.m.

UtahBruin and Midwest Mom

Before passing judgment, you should get more facts than a short article provides. You don't know the intent of the comment that was made. Perhaps he meant Scouts are prepared to continue moving forward, not boys will be boys. Scouting is not a farce and a racket. I have three sons that are Eagle Scouts and it's been a great benefit to them. I've worked with many young men in the scouting program and it's made a positive difference in their lives.

Scout leaders are formally trained and I guarantee you scout leaders aren't taking safety lightly. It's the first thing you're trained on.

Stop using an incident like this to promote your agendas or pass judgment when you weren't there. 40,000 people die in North America every year in car accidents. Shall we cancel driving or just continue to work to make it safer?

This is absolutely tragic and the focus here should be the family's loss. And, continue to make scouting safer.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    July 10, 2013 6:39 p.m.

I am so, so sorry. I pray for the sweet spirit of the Lord upon your family as you struggle to work through this great loss.

• ipr Spanish Fork, UT
    July 10, 2013 6:09 p.m.

I too was worried when my son started scouting. My husband made sure he was at all camp outs. Problem solved. Accidents happen, people, and this was an accident. If you're worried about what happens in scouting, become involved. Scouting can use more parent volunteers.

• Malihini Northern, UT
    July 10, 2013 5:10 p.m.

I agree with UtahBruin and while we all grieve with this family and pray for their comfort, I think the scouting organization and the church needs to enhance their safety measures for both the scouts and the leaders. Too often I see Young Men leaders with this same attitude, i.e., "Scouts are Scouts and they are prepared to do what needs to be done." and they are too cavalier in their safety procedures and too lax in their supervision.

I have two Eagle Scouts and am very grateful for a cautious, non-adventurous scoutmaster who was genuinely concerned for the scouts and was not one to, "let the boys be boys."

I would hope the church, as the primary sponsor of the BSA would call for much, much more stringent training for the scoutmasters and the leaders that they "call" to these positions and even require formal certification and training, not just casual ward oversight, for both the leaders and the scout facilities where they will participate.

• transman Layton, UT
    July 10, 2013 4:23 p.m.

I was a scout master for over 15 years and these young men become like one of your own sons. My prayers go to the family and the scout leaders of the troop.

In all the leadership training that I have been involved with the greatest concern is the safety and well being of the young men. I have never been to a camp where the staff has taken safety light hearted.

It is a sad incident that happen here. The scout master and other leaders of this young man need to be in our prayers also. It is like having the lost of your own son to them.

• Texas Ken Killeen, TX
    July 10, 2013 2:49 p.m.

This is such a tragic story. I am an Eagle Scout, and have the highest respect for scouting. For someone to call scouting "a racket and a farce" based on one isolated incident is also tragic. That's not a very big sample size for such a judgment. I agree with "What they really need is an understanding of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the assurance that this life is not the end. They need a hope that one day we will all be reunited in the eternities." But, how many 14-year-olds have a perfect knowledge of this? A loving Heavenly Father gives most of us many more than 14 years to learn this. He has also provided us with many resources to help us develop such knowledge, not just spiritual leaders. In some cases, professional counselors can help in fulfilling divine purposes.

• Boring Account Name West Jordan, UT
    July 10, 2013 2:24 p.m.

This is very tragic news. However, what is also tragic is to hear some on this feed calling for the end of scouting. To end scouting is to end boyhood. I have seen more positive come from scouting than all of the negative press. I have been a scout leader for years and have seen boys grow up to become great men. Scouting is necessary in this world and I personally gain a great deal of satisfaction and joy from serving. Improvement is needed in any organization, but let's be careful not to cut off our nose to spite our face and kill something extremely useful to the lives of many boys. I need good, positive causes/programs/organizations in this world, even with their failings.

• county mom Monroe, UT
    July 10, 2013 12:57 p.m.

This is very tragic for this family. I am so very sorry for them my heart breaks.
    Scouting is a wonderful thing for boys in helping their parents while teaching them to become men.
    The news seldom tells us when these young men do something good, there are millions of little acts of service done every year by Boy Scouts that go totally unnoticed. That is not news, it is expected and regular.
    The dirty happy tired sore Scouts full of fun stories and silly songs, that came home to our house after a long camp is not news. It happens every week all summer long and for the Mountain Man and the Klondike.
    Only tragedies are news worthy. So very sad.

• Natester Cedar Hills, UT
    July 10, 2013 12:05 p.m.

Thoughts and prayers go out to this family, and all others involved. May they feel the comfort they are seeking.

I'm a therapist and trained grief counselor. Sometimes there is a place and need for both an ecclesiastical leader and a trained professional. Grief work and recovery from crisis is something that has been studied and hopefully made better for the past few decades. The two support systems (faith and professional crisis support) can actually work very well together in providing what affected people need at a time like this - understanding and comfort. Again, love and prayers to all who are involved.

• GiuseppeG Murray, Utah
    July 10, 2013 11:40 a.m.

re: Joy

I didn't read anything in the article that indicated this young man was alone. Yes, Buddy System is extremely important although not a 100% deterent to accidents. I don't believe making assumptions of incorrect actions are appropriate here.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    July 10, 2013 11:37 a.m.

"Scouts are Scouts and they are prepared to do what needs to be done. Camp staff are prepared to continue on and provide great service," Pack said.

My favorite quote of the article. Translation - Lets sweep this under the rug as quick as possible. We have had enough bad media about us lately so we need to get past this as quick as possible.

These "boys" are Scouts, not Marines, and you say "they are prepared to do what needs to be done" Are you kidding me, they are earning Merit Badges, they are prepared to do what they need to do, they are prepared to look past this kids death so they can get their Basket Weaving Merit Badge...Really? Scouts is a racket and a farce and Mr. Pack just said more to assure us of that with his comment.

• GiuseppeG Murray, Utah
    July 10, 2013 11:37 a.m.

re: The Rock

I believe the grief counselors mentioned in the article that are coming in are for the other 400 - 500 participants at the camp, not the family. There may quite frankly be youth and adults there who don't belong to a specific religion and are uncomfortable going to a local minister, pastor, rabbi, bishop, etc. There may be others at camp who might need some coaching from a counselor to guide them to share their feelings with their local religious leader. I don't think grief counselors present themselves as replacements to religious counsel, but as an additional help.

• joy Logan, UT
    July 10, 2013 11:22 a.m.

This just makes my heart break. Since when do scouts do anything without a buddy along side of him. It
    doesn't matter if he was a counselor in training having a second person could of warned the scout or the driver
    before it happened. 8 pm at night and he's alone? What are his leaders thinking? It can't be stressed enough Buddy

My prayers are with his family may they find peace and comfort.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    July 10, 2013 10:41 a.m.

I am saddened by this family's tragic, needless loss, as well. Is no one outraged by the ongoing number of children who are lost, drowned, or fatally injured on these scouting trips? If this were happening in the public school system there would be calls for discipline, legal charges, lawsuits, and firings. While grief counseling is a good idea, training and supervision on how to behave around heavy equipment would have prevented the tragedy. Part of teaching boys to be responsible men is demonstrating respect and care around powerful, dangerous machinery. Learning to recognize danger in seemingly harmless situations is a major component of such teaching. I am so sorry that yet another parent has to suffer the consequences of scout leaders who refuse to take the necessary measures to provide a safe experience for children. Time to re-evaluate the program, or end it.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    July 10, 2013 10:30 a.m.

This is so sad and tragic. My heart goes out to his family and friends.
    I am not sure that grief counselors are really required. Not sure what they do. What is the difference between a grief counselor and a minister or pastor of LDS Bishop?

I could be wrong but my gut reaction to a grief counselor is that they are a poor substitute for a minister in a world that views religion with disdain. The use grief counselors in schools in stead of ministers because of supreme court rulings.

The family needs our prayers now more than anything else.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 10, 2013 10:22 a.m.

This is a nightmare and the family is going to need a lot of support. So very sad that something so fun as a scout camp can turn so tragic.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    July 10, 2013 10:01 a.m.

Im so sorry! Prayers for his family, my sons just returned from scout camp, I will hug them a little tighter today. I hope you can find comfort durning this incredibly difficult time.