Faith

'Book of Mormon' soundtrack, Hill Cumorah Pageant lead to conversion

Comments

• GFuller Mattoon, IL
    July 31, 2013 8:44 p.m.

Someone mentioned that the Roman Catholic Church did not recognize LDS baptisms as valid. That is very understandable, since we do not recognize theirs either. It is interesting to me, however, that when my son was to be married to a Roman Catholic young woman in 1999, and they wanted to be married in her home church by her parish priest, they were told that they needed evidence that he had been baptized. I visited with the local priest here in Mattoon, and gave him a copy of my sons baptism, with my name on it as having performed the ordinance. That was accepted at that time.

Gene

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    July 12, 2013 1:41 a.m.

The LDS Church's official statement on the Book of Mormon Musical was not one of bitter anger, hostility or calls for massive boycotts. Unlike what some LDS Church critics would have us believe, the leadership of church is not a bunch of ultra-sensitive, paranoid old men who are frantically trying to keep the church from imploding.

The leadership of the LDS Church recognizes the fact that if anything, the Book of Mormon Musical has been a plus for the church.

• Luke Nelson West Valley City, UT
    July 11, 2013 9:29 p.m.

@JerryLungaard

The musical wasn't exactly being praised here.

• grip Meridian, ID
    July 11, 2013 7:24 p.m.

In 1955? I was a missionary for the Church. A large two page spread in Denmark's largest circulated newspaper spoke of the Short Creek Arizona polygamy question.
    I thought we would not be able to speak with people for some time. To my surprise and pleased feelings, we were able to speak with many who had read the article - more than we had prior to the article. Bring on the advertising. We welcome it.

• JerryLungaard SLC, UT
    July 11, 2013 6:16 p.m.

Casey Reichhart certainly has great taste in musicals. The songs from the Book of Mormon musical are histerical and very catchy. These men, (Trey Parker and Matt Stone) are wonderfully brilliant. It's good to see that they're getting good press on Deseret News. Everyone should see this musical!

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    July 11, 2013 11:07 a.m.

Another wonderful story about how Trey Parker and Matt Stone's efforts to malign the Church and its beliefs have backfired spectacularly.

• Rustymommy Clovis, NM
    July 11, 2013 10:35 a.m.

If Satan thought he would have been a better choice for managing God's plans for our lives, why is he always feeding right into God's plans. After all these years, you would think he'd wise up. Thank you for a story with a happy ending.

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    July 10, 2013 11:05 a.m.

What a wonderful story!

Right on, J-TX!

• J-TX Allen, TX
    July 10, 2013 10:22 a.m.

I am reminded of the reaction of the Church a few years back, when, after the Catholic Church announced that it would recognize a number of Protestant (Reformed) Churches' Baptism as valid, but not that of the LDS Church. The official LDS Church response? "We are neither insulted nor concerned".

An inspired LDS leadership reacted in the right way to the profane, twisted Book of Mormon musical, knowing it would do as much or more good for the Church as bad. Tolerance and love prevailed. The Church has always had detractors, but the Pure in Heart see through the negativity and will find out for themselves.

I thought it was a genius move when the Church put an ad in the Playbill that said, "You've seen the musical, now read the BOOK".

There will be hundreds of stories just like this one. Welcome one and all!

• Julie R. Kearns, UT
    July 10, 2013 9:47 a.m.

A beautiful and wonderful story. Thank you for sharing! I love hearing how people allow the love of Heavenly Father for His children to change their lives for the better. I love this Gospel and this church!

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    July 10, 2013 8:03 a.m.

Ah yes, the Holy Ghost will whisper to you. Inspired and prompted my return to church a little more than a year ago, and baptising my wife 10 months later.