Faith

Mormon rock star Brandon Flowers open about his faith on tour

Comments

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    July 13, 2013 1:01 a.m.

A desperately needed hero, in a sea of teenage wasteland.

• moniker lewinsky Taylorsville, UT
    July 10, 2013 1:16 a.m.

Oatmeal:
    I knew a woman who would offer up mealy mouthed excuses like "I just outgrew it" or "I'm still spiritual" because she didn't want her LDS family and loved ones to become offended and brand her as "anti". I, on the other hand, prefer a much more direct approach, one that is peppered with historical factoids and political musings. Funny: people don't like that either. Either way, for us exmos, it's a lose/lose. You really have to decide if you want the faithful to judge you as fickle or anti and then word your explanation accordingly (not that you owe anybody an explanation, but I digress).
    What you will probably never understand is that we haven't failed to live our religion, we have made the choice to DUMP our religion for something more palatable and progressive. Either that or we're just really really lazy. Yeah, that's probably it. We're just a bunch of religious failures. Way to nail it, Oatmeal.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    July 9, 2013 9:35 p.m.

RanchHand ... Mr Flowers doesn't need an "attempt at being popular". He already is. Much more than you or me. And look at the news of this world we live in ... we don't have enough 'feel-good fluff' to read about.

• VA Saint Chester, VA
    July 9, 2013 7:05 p.m.

I have so much respect for Brandon Flowers. He flew from Las Vegas, where he was performing, to Iowa to visit a terminally ill little boy. Brandon and his group The Killers were this little boy's favorite band. Brandon sat and visited with him for a few hours and they played music together and sang...Brandon really does live his faith and in the world of music today, that is quite rare. Thank you for this article!

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    July 9, 2013 6:16 p.m.

Excuse me RanchHand, but this is an article in the "Faith" section of the Deseret News, so why not report about people's faith? And reading about a rocker who is part of a well-known group that lives a moral life, and wants to write uplifting lyrics is certainly newsworthy, at least as much as the "man eats dog" kind of dribble that permeates most news these days.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    July 9, 2013 2:07 p.m.

This isn't the first piece in the DN about Brandon Flowers. It seems like just another attempt at being popular. So he's willing to talk about his faith with others. This is news? Sorry all, but "feel-good" fluff isn't news.

• paintandestroy Richmond/Cache, UT
    July 9, 2013 12:45 p.m.

His courage is inspiring

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    July 9, 2013 11:02 a.m.

Cool. I am tired of people, many of them friends and associates, failing to live their religion and then falling back on the excuse that they "have outgrown it" or that they are not orthodox, but that they are still "spiritual." That is really just all talk. Kudos to Brandon Flowers for walking the walk.

• caf Bountiful, UT
    July 9, 2013 7:52 a.m.

I will have to check out some of his latest music. He has a great voice and awesome sound but I ended up deleting the tunes I downloaded a couple of years ago because the lyrics made me uncomfortable. I am pleasantly surprised to know that he is being more cautious with what he writes, I would like to try again.

• Pac_Man Pittsburgh, PA
    July 8, 2013 6:59 p.m.

Regardless of his religion, he seems like a genuine guy.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    July 8, 2013 6:34 p.m.

Like Moontan, I'd almost given up on rockers, he is indeed refreshing.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    July 8, 2013 5:23 p.m.

It is very refreshing, encouraging to hear of a rocker who hasn't fried his brain with narcotics, and whose interview doesn't have to be bleeped every other word. Good on Brother Flowers!