Commentary: By roster and talent, Utah Utes loaded at quarterback

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 10, 2013 3:48 p.m.

FAtboy86: "until the Utes really start caring about things that are bigger and far beyond BYU"

So, you have firsthand knowledge of what the Utah coaching staff and players "care" about? Interesting! Please enlighten us with your inside information. This is something we would all like to be entertained by!

Love the trollers!! Cheap entertainment!

Go Utes! Onward and Upward!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 10, 2013 3:38 p.m.

BigKewger and beagle:

We really appreciate you taking the time to read the Utah articles and to show your support for all things Ute by commenting. We really like the Utah County folk to spend as much time as possible on Utah stories. Thanks again!!

Go Utes!! Onward and Upward!!

• eagle Provo, UT
    July 9, 2013 12:20 a.m.

The Utes go 6-6 best case scenario. And their fan base should get used to these types of seasons...

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 8, 2013 4:33 p.m.

@Utes fan

"All things considered, Utah is probably average at QB in the PAC-12 right now."

I think you're being a little too kind there. Kyle is delusional if he thinks Wilson and Schulz, etc are upper-echelon in the Pac12.

Wilson wasn't very heavily recruited at all outside of the Pac12. I think he only had one offer to a school outside Pac12 country and that school was "football power" Iowa State. Schulz didn't have any offers at all.

I think Pac12 Fever was close to spot on when he said:
    "Utah will lose to Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, USC, Arizona, Oregon St and ASU. They won't be favored in any of those games."

All of those schools will be ranked at some point during the season. With very slow linebackers and a small inexperienced DL, the front 7 is in trouble this next season. This could be a very long season if Wilson isn't ready to step up. With all the question marks on the OL, it doesn't look good for him. The utes are in trouble and looking at 2 straight seasons without a bowl game, unless they count the BYU Bowl.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 8, 2013 2:54 p.m.

@Navel Lint

are you saying that about Cox because Wynn checked in at 165lbs for the utes his freshman year? Wynn eventually bulked up and the freshman Cox has a 20lb head start on Wynn so barring anything unplanned for Wilson (like his winning the Heisman and leaving early for the NFL, etc), Cox will have time to bulk up like Wynn did.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 8, 2013 2:49 p.m.

"Whittingham said the Utes might have two quarterbacks in the “upper echelon” of the Pac-12 in projected starter Travis Wilson and Adam Schulz "

Ok, Brad, are you purposefully trying to make Kyle look like a moron? He's the same guy you were making lame excuses for earlier in your article about his botching the QB position to begin with and now you're trying to play him up to be some type of "expert" at evaluating QB talent? Isn't that the problem with why he thought Jordan Wynn was good enough to get the utes through not one, but two successive Pac12 seasons?

What...did you and Kyle go to school together at some point?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 8, 2013 2:34 p.m.

Rivals lists QB Brandon Cox at 6-2, 185-lbs. He may be a very talented signal caller, but if he comes to Utah under 210-lbs, I don't think he'll be seeing the field much, and Shulz will most likely check in at #2. I look forward to see how he pans out, but an undersized QB is an injury-prone QB.

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2013 1:09 p.m.

Putting the series on hold still doesn't change the prevailing Ute identity. There is still too much fixation with beating and/or one upping BYU.

I can't help but wonder how much better off the Utes would be if they put the same energy into the pursuit of a Rose Bowl berth that they put into their competitions on and off the field with BYU. Pac 12 wins and the Rose Bowl are way bigger things than beating BYU. Plus a team that is truly focused on competing for PAC 12 titles year in and year out, would likely beat BYU with minimal effort. Also that game wouldn't be the season-defining thing that it is now.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 11:12 a.m.

"but until the Utes really start caring about things that are bigger and far beyond BYU"
    They've put the series on hold, what else do you want?

When they speak of improving facilities, recruiting, and coaching staff, its all about being able to better compete in the PAC 12. Fans will still exchange digs at each other, but the U is correctly focused. Utah is better now than they were in the MWC, but has a long way to go. TCU is also struggling in the Big 12 as they adjust from being a mid-major. You wouldn't say TCU's troubles are because "they haven't moved on from BYU".

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 10:45 a.m.

The article states that Utah is LOADED at the QB position. Having a lot of QB's does not equate to having good quarterbacks. The real good ones opted to go to other PAC 11+u schools. Utah got the left-overs.

• The Anti Chris Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 10:43 a.m.

Chris B,
    I appreciate the optimism and the "Mark it Down", however, you are way of base on the 9-3 record. At best it end up either 5-7 or 4-8. The PAC is tougher this year and they will most likely lose to BYU this year.
    The article had a lot of fluffy stuff in it but mostly inaccurate. The defense was not solid last year and should not be a whole lot better this year. The QB situation might be better next year but this year will be a growing year at QB. The running backs are also a weak area.

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2013 10:21 a.m.

I agree that it will be interesting, but I still see Utah trailing way behind those "prestigious" or even semi "prestigious" PAC 12 programs. They will still get the blowout win over BYU in Sept, but until the Utes really start caring about things that are bigger and far beyond BYU, mediocrity will be the order of the day. It's time to move on from BYU and aspire to something bigger.

July 8, 2013 10:20 a.m.

Cougsndawgs, I heard from a couple players on Utah's team this spring that they wouldn't at all be surprised if Cox ended up taking the starting job. If I remember correctly, he was rated a 4 star prospect after his junior year and was downgraded after his injury his senior season. That doesn't mean much at this point, but I agree he has huge upside if he can stay off the injury report. While I want the absolute best player to come out as the starter, I'd also like some consistency, so this year will be an interesting one to watch.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 8, 2013 9:53 a.m.

Looks like Schultz and Cox have some brains too...academic and presidential scholarships, and cox was his class VP also. Sounds like some great kids to go with their talent. I've seen Cox play, and I still think he's the future QB for Utah when it all shakes out. I know Wilson was rated slightly higher out of high school, but I think Cox has more upside. Looks like the utes are getting very solid at QB where they've struggled recruiting in the past. Good luck to these guys and the utes going forward.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 9:40 a.m.

I enjoyed the article. However, let's keep things in perspective.

Travis Wilson will be a sophomore this year. Very few sophomore's are in the upper-echelon of their conference. He was a highly recruited QB, and therefore has a lot of potential. But, Travis still has to prove himself.

Shulz has a great arm, but has yet to compete against a PAC-12 opponent. He was a walk-on for a reason. However, I am glad the Utes have him, as I hope he can be a capable backup QB.

Cox seems injury prone, which is a major concern with a dual-threat QB. I hope he pans out well.

Conner Manning has potential. He destroyed the stats and records in high school. He certainly could become a great PAC-12 QB. But since he hasn't even practiced with the Utes yet, we simply don't know.

It feels that Utah is loaded at QB, but these sentiments exist as a counter to the horrible QB situation over the past few years.

All things considered, Utah is probably average at QB in the PAC-12 right now. However, it is good to know that the potential for greatness is there.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Utah lost a lot of starters at the end of last year (10 if I remember right, plus some others that had significant playing time) including Star, Moe Lee, and Joe Kruger. The linebacker need a lot of work and the DBs are young. The defensive line will be good, but will be a step back without Star. On offense John White has moved on as have DeVonte Christopher and Reggie Dunn.

Erickson will help offense, but he is a bit washed up like Norm Chow was. With the improvements the other Pac-12 schools have made in coaching and with the addition of Oregon and Stanford, I am worried about the ability for Utah to compete. Don't get me wrong I hope they win the Pac-12 and go and win the Rose Bowl, but the practical side of me doesn't see it happening. It looks like a rebuilding year to me.

• DrUte Woods Cross, UT
    July 8, 2013 9:14 a.m.

Rather than prognosticating a 9-3 or 3-9 season, I would like to thank the DN & Rhett Wilkinson for helping us with current information concerning the Utes.

In comparison, the SL Trib is asleep at the wheel with super-old articles, seemingly no fresh perspective on any of a variety of possible topics concerning football in the state, and almost obscene lack of energy concerning the upcoming college football season.

Appears that the current score is something like 28-0, DN over the Trib.

Thx for your efforts, DN Sports guys. Now that we're in the transition time from Spring to Fall camps it helps alot to bridge some of us football junkies over the drought, & I hope everyone out there appreciates your efforts on our behalf!

BCn Ya, DrUte

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 8, 2013 7:51 a.m.

I like the depth, but I'm far from sold on Wilson. The QB position really hurt Utah last year. At least there's a number of options at the position.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 6:31 a.m.

I agree with CO Ute. Shulz is unproven and was not a scholarship player out of high school. Consequently, he is nowhere near the upper echelon. Wilson still has much to prove.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    July 8, 2013 6:19 a.m.

"As a senior, Thomas passed for 849 yards and six touchdowns and rushed for 734 yards on just 92 carries, with 10 touchdowns. According to larrybrownsports.com, the graduate of North Shore Senior High School (Galena Park, Texas) has declared that he will be the best player his team’s BCS conference has ever seen.

“I’ll be the best QB ever to go to Utah, and in the PAC-12. Don’t believe me just watch,” he wrote from his Twitter account @Faitesdinspirer in February. Thomas was rated a two-star recruit by Scout and a three-star player by Rivals."

Now there's one confident kid. He may very well be the answer to Utah's qb situation. And as I said before in previous posts, I hope Utah will loose only to the Cougars but tear up the competition in their conference. Wouldn't that be wonderful!

Good luck Utes! and Go Cougars!

• Pac 12 Fever Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2013 11:29 p.m.

Although I like the idea, this article title is, well, a joke.

If you analyze every PAC school, and look at current starters accomplishments and their backups ranking nationally (Scout/Rivals)...Utah's QB roster is worst in the PAC.

Anyone can complete a 4 yd pass under the defense.

And BYU is a pick em.

Have fun Chris.

July 7, 2013 11:23 p.m.

I root for and follow the Utes as much as anyone but to claim Wilson and Schulz are in the 'upper echelon' of PAC 12 QBs is ridiculous. If Wilson continues to progress he may have that status by the middle of the season but that is a reach right now.

Utah is deep at the QB position, unlike previous years, but we need a break out season first that includes winning conference games both at home and on the road. Hopefully a potentially good O Line and some big talent at the receiver positions will translate into a much improved offense this year.

• micawber Centerville, UT
    July 7, 2013 10:57 p.m.

@Chris B
    At Oregon and at USC will be very difficult games. Road wins against quality teams in the PAC-12 are hard to come by. And while Stanford visits Rice-Eccles, its team looks to be very good again this year. If the Utes split the four games you mentioned, it will be an accomplishment.

But it would not shock me to see them split those games and then lose a game to someone they should not lose to (like Colorado or Washington State). And at Arizona and Arizona State at home should be competitive games. 9-3 is possible, of course, but seems a little optimistic.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2013 9:54 p.m.

Most schools(including byu and usu) have zero coaches that have undefeated seasons and bcs bowl wins

Some have one

We have two

I am pumped about the season and am positive Dennis Ericsson will put our offense at least average in the pac12

And with an average PAC 12 offense(which is impressive in itself) and an above average defense, we will be in contention for the south title. Not saying for sure we win it, but will be in contention

Go utes!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2013 8:47 p.m.

We are not in a position to compete for a conference title this year. However I think the offense will be good enough to win a bowl. Whether we get there or not depends on the linebackers and how well the D as a whole can tackle. As for special teams; well lets just hope we won't have to rely on them to win many games.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    July 7, 2013 7:13 p.m.

I'm the most optimistic about the offensive line. If they stay healthy and perform well, we may have a good season. But I could easily see us not going bowling again this year with that grind of a schedule we have. Extremely excited for football to start, but I'm going to be very cautiously optimistic for a while. After all, we're still playing with a lot of Mountain West guys. It's going to take three to five years of recruiting to really compete, but we shall see. See you at the game August 29th...GO UTES!!!

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    July 7, 2013 7:12 p.m.

Chris B

Hold on there Chris. Where I appreciate your usual overly optimistic attitude, there are several things I would disagree with. First off, the coaching was not solid last year. Coach Whitt should have NEVER put BJ in as OC that early, and with all the coaching changes since 2004, things have not been solid at all, at least not consistently. The jury is still out on Whittingham as to whether he is THE guy for the PAC 12.

The defense, IMO, was horrible last year. The linebackers especially were bad. I think last years defense is one of the worst I've seen in a long time. Makes me a bit nervous for this season.
    I love how much "depth" we have a QB, but can anyone perform or step up to be a PAC 12 QB? We need Erickson to stay for at least three seasons to help BJ out as much as possible, provided that he is going to be the long term OC.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2013 5:58 p.m.

I think it will be a great season. The defense will be solid. It always is. The coaching will be solid. It always is.

The offense will be much improved.

I see a 9-3 record, with the 3 losses all coming against prestigious PAC 12 teams

Our seniors will finish their careers 7-1 against in state opponents.

I also predict we go at least 2-2 against ucla, USC, Oregon, and Stanford