Sports

Dick Harmon: In making the USA team, Tyler Haws has done the state of Utah proud

Comments

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 8, 2013 7:06 p.m.

@Howie

Leave it to Howard to turn an article about BYU and Tyler Haws, making the U.S. National Team, into yet another False Bravado Rant, about the (inflated) value of the U's Pac-12 Patch.

BYU plays half of their games in a 20k seat arena, generally nearly packed.
    BYU's attendance has been in the Top 10-20 Nationally, going on 40 years now..

The arenas in the WCC seat 3500-6000 fans and are bloated when BYU comes to town.
    It's a great College Atmosphere in the WCC...Kinda Kool.
    It's about the hoops...Man.

Get back to us Howie, when your Utes can outdraw Lond Peak High.
    Empty arenas (see (Huntsman Center) are about as useful as Tattered Bowl Banners and a Conference Patch.

Let's see if your Utes can produce a winning season in Football, Basketball or Baseball, in the next decade, let alone a Conference Championship, in any sport.

Remember, Cameron Indoor only seats 9k and Duke seems to be doing just fine.
    If only Utah had the program and fans of a Gonzaga, St. Mary's or BYU.

Again, Ute fans argue minutia, because they can't argue results pertaining to success.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    July 8, 2013 3:38 p.m.

I think the "working on Sunday" issue in the LDS church is one of the great opportunities and blessings of having agency. While members of the church have been encouraged to "keep the Sabbath day holy," interpretation of that commandment has been left quite open. While we are encouraged to avoid working, shopping, and certain kinds of leisure on the Sabbath, the LDS church has now for a number of years used Steve Young as a spokesperson. While this seems contradictory I think it's awesome that individual members get to choose how they treat this sacred day. I am a huge Ty Haws fan, and a fan of BYU sports in general, and I'm happy when the standout players fulfill their dream of "going pro." Through hard work they've earned that privilege. That being said, my eldest son is named after Eli Herring, one of the few superstars who had the courage to say no.

• Barnbug1 SPANISH FORK, UT
    July 8, 2013 9:48 a.m.

@Howard S.

I thought it was fairly obvious that I was referring to results, my bad, I'll type slower next time. As far as conference inclusion you and I both know that BYU's ability to get invited is based mostly on religion. As far as academics and athletics, BYU is well ahead of Utah in both. Utah wasn't on the top of the PAC's list, but it worked out and they got invited so great for Utah. I'm saying if that's all you got to hang your hat on you prove my point.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 7, 2013 9:45 p.m.

@Barnbug1

yeah he was working on a article bitter claiming that BYU deserved the invite and not Utah...

Oh, and about embarrassment... the WCC... high school arenas... really...

• Chris from Rose Park Hartford, CT
    July 7, 2013 8:32 a.m.

@CougarNation - I too have wrestled with this question since my youth. I still don't have all the answers myself. I guess I have to ask myself, what does keeping it holy really mean? We definitely have strong guidelines (not working, shopping, serving, gospel study, etc). Those guidelines all push us to one end: to focus on our Father, our Savior, and the Spirit. If, in counsel with Them, one receives approval of one's activities, then I believe reconciliation of teachings and practice has taken place. The choice is personal, but the decision process should not be. The decision process should always include counsel with the Maker of the Law. The Godhead consists of three loving living Individuals that seek to counsel with us.

• Chris from Rose Park Hartford, CT
    July 7, 2013 8:31 a.m.

@Sports Are Great - I agree with CougarNation, you reached an incorrect conclusion. It does not sound like he is harping on Haws, anyone LDS related, or anything of the sort. He just posed a simple question that is thought provoking. Why don't you just take him at his word and go from there?

Everybody else that is critizing him and saying to not be judeful, just come on. Let a man ask a question, and kindly answer it with your opinion, rather than roast him alive for having an honest heart. Just because he asked the question does not mean he is trying to usurp God's juding responsibility.

• Barnbug1 SPANISH FORK, UT
    July 6, 2013 11:40 p.m.

Come on guys your turn. They axed my best one so I had to go to the bullpen. It's alright though, I got this. And "ballpark", you have got to make things a little tougher. Check your post again, if you sent it to the toddler board they may have messed up and sent it to the adult thread. Have a super day!

• Barnbug1 SPANISH FORK, UT
    July 6, 2013 5:17 p.m.

@Howard S.
    He was probably working on an article, but things have kind of gone downhill in a hurry. Remember, the article was on state pride, not embarrassment.

• Barnbug1 SPANISH FORK, UT
    July 6, 2013 5:08 p.m.

Just one more thing......because we don't have naked men on public benches, more gang activity than anywhere else in the world, and a state that is nearly bankrupt, we have time to report on a local kid who is doing well.

• Barnbug1 SPANISH FORK, UT
    July 6, 2013 4:56 p.m.

@ballpark
    First of all, my condolences for living in California. And second, not being from Utah, don't worry about it. I'm sure you have got way more important things to worry about living in C A L I F O R N I A than following a newspaper in little old Utah.

• ballpark ,
    July 6, 2013 11:01 a.m.

Not being from Utah it amazes me how much press a young college basketball player gets. From the time he was in high school it has been a state wide story. Is Utah really that hard up to find something to report on? I live in California....he would get one paragraph in a local paper that he made the team. Tia USA team does not represent the best college players....please! Maybe the best citizens who are good in basketball. Save your ink for when he actually leads BYU to a WCC championship or WCC tournament win. It won't happen so I guess you have to write stories like this.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    July 6, 2013 7:39 a.m.

@CougarNation#1,

Two words my friend, "free agency". It's the greatest gift our Father has given us. We make our choices and then leave it up to the Lord for he alone knows us better than ourselves. I can guarantee to you that none of the Filipinos he brought into the church will care one way or another. Lets not get stressed out on the particulars of the law because it can get much more complicated than that. For example, do you watch sports on the Sabbath? Do you cook on the Sabbath; buy gas, go to the beach, eat out, etc, etc? Lets make and live our choices and fret not about what others choices are. Have a blessed day! God will settle all that in the end.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    July 6, 2013 12:59 a.m.

COUGARNATION.....why bring up the ridiculous topic??? Doctors work on Sunday. Firemen work on Sunday. Cops work on Sunday. LDS security work on Sunday. Pilots work on Sunday. Air traffic controllers work on Sunday. They all chose those professions. Condemn all you like. I own a restaurant. I have to work a bit on Sunday. Don't give me the line about "essential" professions. P-L-E-A-S-e do not judge! Let's all be better followers of Christ and not judge. These folks all chose professions requiring them to work on Sunday. Give it a rest already. Maybe I pump gas on Sunday cause some people have to drive on Sunday. I knew a Stake President whose son played on a University team with Sunday games and he even went to watch on occasion on Sunday. Get over it and let the Savior be the judge. The Savior knows his heart. You do not!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    July 5, 2013 9:14 p.m.

" ..... He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her ..... "

CougarNation#1 -

There was only one perfect man to ever live on the earth, and He was crucified. To answer your question - the short answer is:

There really is no black and white on this issue. gchis was right, it is a personal issue. Further, every individual has a different circumstance and must make personal choices based on those circumstances.

Some free advice:

Worry about your own circumstance.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 5, 2013 6:17 p.m.

Where was Dick with all the "doing Utah proud" talk when Utah was invited to join one of the most prestigious conferences in the country?

Overwhelming pride must have rendered him speechless...

• AlottaBallatas Centerville, UT
    July 5, 2013 5:21 p.m.

Congrats to Tyler, his family, the state of Utah and the BYU organization and staff. Another proud moment for the state of Utah. First Vranes and now Haws, two home grown products.

From a Ute fan, a great day for the state!

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 5, 2013 4:50 p.m.

Sorry about my little sister's silly misstatement.

She was obviously wondering how great it would be to play in such beautiful places as Malibu, San Diego, Moraga, Santa Clara, and San Francisco, and still be able play for the US National team, in the NCAA tournament, and in the NBA.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    July 5, 2013 4:05 p.m.

@CougarNation#1

I think you kinda missed my point. Tyler Haws will be playing professional basketball somewhere and playing on the USA team is a logical step in that vocation. If Haws were to decline an invitation to play, it would likely hurt his chances going forward to get drafted by a professional team, whether in the US or Europe. Would he prefer not to play on Sunday? Undoubtedly. But I am contending that his job, at this point in his life is to play basketball and the team has chosen to play on Sunday. Some, like you, might also say that I will violate that particular commandment by watching him play. While I have no idea what Tyler's thought processes are, I would guess that declining the invitation would satisfy his desire to keep that particular commandment in it's strictest interpretation. I do not judge him. Neither should you.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    July 5, 2013 2:02 p.m.

CougarNation#1 is a ute, and a poor imposter at that. I see I have upset him by stating he is a Ute. Knowing that this will likely upset him further, I'll take great privilege in repeating: God's commandments apply equally to all people alive. Their college sports affiliation hardly matters to the man in the heavens. So whatever one tries to pin on Haws equally applies not only to all Mormons, but to anyone who believes in the 10 commandments.

• Sandyclaws Salt Lake City, UT
    July 5, 2013 1:27 p.m.

@Chris B

He's 3-0 vs Utah so far.

LOL

• CougarNation#1 provo, UT
    July 5, 2013 1:22 p.m.

@sports are great- I'm actually a diehard BYU Cougar fan and football season ticket holder so way to jump to a dumb conclusion. This is actually a question I wrestled with as a youth and now as a parent of kids who play youth sports.
    @gchris- I am sure Tyler is a great guy and I'm not trying to condemn him, but I am somewhat confused how he reconciles preaching the gospel as a full-time missionary trying to commit Filipinos to keep the Sabbath Day holy and him playing basketball on Sundays, not as his full-time occupation. All choices are personal choices in life and it is up to Tyler to make those choices. What pros and cons are there about playing on Sundays as a member of the LDS church?

• gchris rock springs, wy
    July 5, 2013 12:34 p.m.

@CougarNation#1

With a name like CougarNation#1, you are probably quite familiar with LDS doctrine concerning keeping the Sabbath holy. I was expecting at least one referrance to Tyler's playing on Sunday but the answer is always the same. How one chooses to keep the Sabbath holy is purely personal. BYU doesn't play on Sunday as a matter of principle and long-standing policy. And, in Tyler's case, in the long term, it probably is his full-time occupation. I'm sure that Tyler carefully weighs the pros and cons of playing on Sunday and I'm quite sure that you'd like to have him as a neighbor on the other six days.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    July 5, 2013 12:31 p.m.

Ute fan(cougar nation#1) - All I know is that God's commandments apply to every person who lives today. So whatever you're trying to pin on Haws, make sure you pin on your Utes as well, along with Aggies, wildcats, tide, gators. Stay classy.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 5, 2013 11:42 a.m.

@chrissy - I know you still have goose bumps from being invited to the PAC after Texas, Oklahoma turned them down. But someday soon, you will learn that the quality of your program is more important than the quality of your conference. Finishing near the bottom in football, baseball, and M and W basketball leads to doormat status. P.S. Tyler and TJ were both offered by Utah, but both chose BYU. Maybe it's time to ask why?

• CougarNation#1 provo, UT
    July 5, 2013 10:56 a.m.

I wonder how he feels about playing and practicing on Sunday for this team. It would be hard to reconcile playing on Sunday, especially after recently returning from an LDS mission where missionaries teach investigators about keeping the Sabbath Day holy. Is it okay to play basketball on Sunday or not? Or is he not playing or practicing on Sunday?
    Tyler is a great talent and he seems to be a great person. You can tell he works hard at the game. I just have an honest question about appropriate Sabbath Day activities, especially when it isn't his full-time occupation. Any clarification would help since I am not very familiar with LDS church doctrine on this subject.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    July 5, 2013 10:48 a.m.

@ Chris B
    Better dream than being the door mat of the Pac-12 and unable to beat teams such as Pepperdine, Santa Clara and San Francisco!
    LOL

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 5, 2013 10:17 a.m.

I wonder if his dream included being in the WCC and having conference foes Pepperdine, Santa Clara, and San Francisco.

LOL

• MGB Saint George, UT
    July 5, 2013 9:28 a.m.

That kind of man does not burn out. He just burns up everyone else.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    July 5, 2013 9:16 a.m.

Congratulations Tyler. Obviously a very driven young man. I just hope he doesn't burn out.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    July 5, 2013 7:45 a.m.

Aaaahhh...this is a great day!!! Great news from the state's two premier programs; first the story about the Utes new facility upgrade and now about BYU's Tyler Haws making the USA's national team.

Can't wait to see how the next two years will turn out for this outstanding young man. I for one am looking forward with the whole Cougar nation to follow this kid and his little brother coming after him. A huge thank you to Mr. Marty Haws and his wife for raising such wonderful young men. I'm especially glad that they chose to come to BYU.

Go Cougars! And go Utes too!

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    July 4, 2013 10:42 p.m.

I was a big Marty Haws fan years ago and was delighted when I learned about Tyler and his high school career before he joined the Cougars.

Tyler Haws is someone who every Father would be proud to have as a son. I have worlds of respect for the Haws family and look forward to following Tyler at the World University Games and throughout his BYU career. (I look forward to following TJ Haws as well!)

Congrats to the Haws family and to Tyler for his commitment to being excellent! Thanks, Dick, for this article.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    July 4, 2013 8:24 p.m.

dumprake, you do know that shooting 40% from 3 is the same as shooting 60% from 2, right? Or 34% from 3 = 51% from 2?

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    July 4, 2013 8:15 p.m.

It is odd to categorize black players as being jam happy. There are lots of guys in the NBA who shoot jumpers and are black. Kevin Garnett, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry......even jammers like MJ still used the jump shot (Game 6, Bryon Russell........)LeBron just sealed a title with a jump shot. There are still black guys that shoot jumpers.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    July 4, 2013 7:42 p.m.

What a great guy and a great recruiting tool for BYU. His example on and off the floor will change minds and attitudes of all who get to know him.

I love cheering for the Cougars. Always trying to improve these young men and turn them into great men, husbands and fathers.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    July 4, 2013 6:25 p.m.

Haws' "mid-range" game is notable because nobody else shoots the mid-range shots anymore. Black players especially want to jam the ball in your face, Haws will pull up and hit the 10 footer because nobody expects it anymore. Or, the glory shot these days is the 3 pointer, even though the shooting percentage goes way down when you move out that far; yes, it's exciting when it goes in but Haws will make two or three mid-range jumpers while the glory boys are trying to bring the house down with a long range three.

Haws is a great player, he plays the full game, the complete game, and it's how the game should be played. If you took the 3pt shot away today, most players would be lost, they wouldn't know what to do.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 4, 2013 6:00 p.m.

The pride extends beyond Utah. Tyler is first and foremost, a great person who happens to be extremely good at basketball. Can't wait until November to see him at the Marriott Center again.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    July 4, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Talent is overrated.

Tyler Haws has separated himself from everyone else as a world class performer because of his disciplined practice over an extended period of time.

Most athletes tend to do what they can already do over and over because it is instantly rewarding and feels good. Tyler Haws has focused on what he can't do well and is constantly pushing the envelope to hone new skills. Opponents will find him ever harder to handle on the basketball court.

He will be a great leader for the BYU team for the next two years.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    July 4, 2013 4:42 p.m.

What a great article! It's wonderful to see that when Tyler Haws put in the work effort like he did and then everyone can see the big payoff! Congratulations to Tyler, his family, his coaches, and to us the fans who cheer on Cougar nation!

Although not in this story, Tyler was asked to give a fireside for the youth of Colorado Springs. With the intensity of competing in that setting for the national team, he got dressed, went to the Church, and spoke from his heart. What a great role model he is!

Go Cougars!