Dick Harmon: Free agent deal with Clippers keeps Brandon Davies' NBA dreams alive

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    July 3, 2013 6:51 p.m.

Good luck, Brandon. Hope it all works out for you.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    July 3, 2013 3:52 p.m.

Congrats Brandon. I think he is in a great situation playing with CP3 and Griffen. Happy for your success.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2013 3:38 p.m.

@But seriously folks
    "I love my independence."

I see what you did there. Just one problem... this is basketball. You aren't independent there, you're in the WCC.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2013 1:54 p.m.

I HATE THE UTES........just kidding, but I had to break the streak from all the good Ute Fans wishing Brandon well? It was getting so sweet in here I was getting a cavity reading all the sweet Uties comments! Go Brandon!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    July 3, 2013 1:11 p.m.

I am excited for Brandon but he will have to have an amazing summer league and pre-season to make the final roster. Realistically, he will probably be playing in either the D league or Europe by this time next year. Hope I am wrong though. Davies is one of my all-time favorite BYU basketball players and I really hope he succeeds in whatever he ends up doing with the rest of his life.

July 3, 2013 1:00 p.m.

Good luck Mr. Davies. There is a lot of talent on the Clips and just hope you can get a roster spot.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    July 3, 2013 12:03 p.m.

As another Ute fan I wish him well. He has always seemed like a nice young man with a lot of heart. Now go beat the Lakers!

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    July 3, 2013 11:51 a.m.

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    July 3, 2013 11:38 a.m.

Woohoo. I was just wondering if anyone was going to pick him up. Glad someone did. Wish the Celtics would have but it will just be good to see anyone BYU player play in the NBA.

• Bomar Roberts, ID
    July 3, 2013 10:06 a.m.

The main reason Davies went undrafted is the second round was dominated by foreign players who can stay abroad and improve their game, i.e. Kirelinko. Also, Bledsoe isn't a wing player, but a point guard. There has been a lot of interest in him this last year and I think the Clippers held onto him as insurance in case Chris Paul left.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    July 3, 2013 9:59 a.m.

Good for Brandon. And...the comments are truly a breath of fresh air...thanks to all!

• MormonUte Centerville, UT
    July 2, 2013 10:29 p.m.

Congratulations to Brandon Davies. I truly admire the way he bounced back from the Honor Code situation 2 years ago. It is great to see that that incident will not be what he is known for. I hope he does well in the NBA. It is nice to see both Utes and Cougars appreciating a good story about a good young man. If we could always be this classy, it would be gret!

• 93 COUGAR Orem, UT
    July 2, 2013 10:24 p.m.

Living the dream! CP and Griffin on your team! Best of luck Brandon!

• jpc53 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 2, 2013 9:23 p.m.

Hope he plays well in the summer league as the Clippers are pretty set in the front court. Brandon will be a power forward in the NBA and the Clippers already have a pretty good power forward named Griffin. But he should help some team.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2013 9:02 p.m.

Good to hear B will get a shot at making the team. Good to see the unified comments here as well.

• YBALL Provo, UT
    July 2, 2013 7:50 p.m.

Good to hear! Congrats Brandon!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 2, 2013 5:10 p.m.

I hope he takes advantage to the opportunity and sticks with the team. Good for you kid, good luck!!

• MizzouBlue Carthage, MO
    July 2, 2013 3:11 p.m.

I am glad for Brandon Davies. He's earned a shot at the NBA & now will be part of a good team with a good coach. Congrats and best of luck!

• MisterDivot USA, UT
    July 2, 2013 2:47 p.m.

@Wookie, ekute, motorbike:

Thanks for your comments and class. I'm a lifelong BYU fan, but have never understood the need for antagonism and criticism thrown back and forth between BYU/UTAH/USU fans when the other school/team/former player has success. When it's rivalry week, I'm all for friendly, harmless banter and competitiveness. But the rest of the time, I'm comfortable recognizing and even appreciating the successes of the Damian Lillard's and Paul Kruger's that have come from our state's collective universities. Everything else is just silly, insecure fight-picking that makes fans from all 3 schools look bad.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 2, 2013 2:04 p.m.

Count another Ute fan in the department of being happy for Davies.
    This is exactly why I wrote the comment I did last week, it's often better to go undrafted than being selected in the 2nd round (teams don't have to sign 2nd rounders). This way a player can talk to teams that have a need for his particular talents/position.
    Good for Davies, I hope he tears it up.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 2, 2013 1:41 p.m.

Good for Brandon.

How excited he must be, to be on a team with CP3, Griffin, Jordan, Rivers...

For his sake...hope he sticks.

• Otis Spurlock Returns! Herriman, UT
    July 2, 2013 1:40 p.m.

Great article!

This is exactly why BYU and Tom Holmoe decided to join the Pacific Coast Conference. Exposure, exposure and exposure.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    July 2, 2013 1:39 p.m.

Smart move on the part of the Clippers. Brandon will prove himself well.

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    July 2, 2013 1:25 p.m.

i wonder what the details are about it being partially guaranteed.

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2013 12:45 p.m.

Another success story for BYU. Great program, great athletes.
    I love my independence.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    July 2, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Good Luck Mr. Davies.

Playing with CP3 will be a lot of fun and will cater to your athleticism. Stay healthy!

Go UTES!!

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 2, 2013 12:21 p.m.

My only conciliation is... at least he didn't go to the Lakers (AKA West All Star Team). I think I can cheer for the Clippers to win games.