Sports

BYU football: Neutral-site games have become an important part of Cougars' scheduling strategy

Comments

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    July 8, 2013 11:16 a.m.

CO Ute

PARKER, CO

@won84

Don't confuse me with some of the posters that make tongue in cheek comments. There was nothing sarcastic in my previous post. I think BYU did a good job in scheduling two good teams for games in NFL stadiums.

The Y's scheduling has absolutely no impact on my favorite team which has also has some great games going forward (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, and Michigan come to mind). I don't root for the Y but I do acknowledge their accomplishments.

----

I know, I was just kidding with the "Don't marginalize me, bro" :)

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    July 4, 2013 1:13 a.m.

BYU's Schedule for non conference home games from 1999 to 2010, before independence.

1999- UW, Virginia, California
    2000- Mississippi St., USU
    2001- Tulane, Nevada, USU
    2002- Syracuse, Hawaii
    2003- Georgia Tech, Stanford
    2004- Notre Dame, USC
    2005- BC, Eastern Illinois
    2006- Tulsa, USU
    2007- Arizona, Eastern Washington
    2008- Northern Iowa, UCLA
    2009- Florida St., USU
    2010- UW, Nevada

3 Division 2 teams, 7 of the 10 Pac 10, (No OSU, WSU and ASU) UW x 2, Stanford and USC. Notre Dame, FSU, an Sec school Mississippi St. Syracuse, Virginia, Georgia Tech, BC. If we go back even further we find even more schools like Miami, Texas A&M oh and Penn St. Are home schedule has been less than good since Independence, but will be much improved from here on out. Throw in neutral site games against OU and TCU and Utah will see the pecking order of what school in Utah really is the alpha program in the state. Tube steak to Rib-eye!!

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    July 4, 2013 12:40 a.m.

List of Utah's non conference home games since 1999.
    1999- Louisiana Monroe and USU
    2000- Arizona and Wash. St.
    2001- USU, South Florida
    2002- Indiana
    2003- USU, California, Oregon
    2004- Texas AM, UNC
    2005- USU, Arizona
    2006- Northern Arizona, BSU
    2007- UCLA, USU
    2008- Weber St., Oregon St.
    2009- USU, Louisville
    2010- Pitt, San Jose St.
    2011- Montana St., and ? (I thing 1 Pac 12 team was considered non conference game)
    2012- Northern Colorado and BYU

4 division 2 teams and 7 of the Pac 10 teams. No USC, UW or Stanford. Texas A&M and UNC. Not bad, but lets compare it to BYU. (Next Post)

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2013 3:50 p.m.

@Steven S Jarvis
    "If BYU ever plays Utah in a neutral site game, I would like to see it in Vegas. It would be interesting to see which team could buy the most tickets."

BYU, perhaps by a decent margin too. BYU has a larger fanbase nationwide mostly because it's the LDS school so there's a natural connection to a good chunk of the 1.7% of Americans that are LDS. Utah lacks that sort of extra connection. If BYU were just another state school it'd be similar to Utah as far as having a limited national reach outside of alumni/family of alumni.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2013 3:47 p.m.

What are the size of NFL stadiums? As a Penn State alum I'm used to seeing a stadium that can seat 100k fans. The Big 10 for that reason doesn't even need to schedule games at NFL stadiums. Does it make much difference for BYU or Utah (since both will play Michigan I can use them as a good example) to play at Michigan or play in Detroit?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2013 3:44 p.m.

@Riverton Cougar
    "Congrats to earning the privilege of being a punching bag. BYU doesn't have that title. That is squarely Utah's title."

So BYU-Utah games would be when a punching bag swings back and knocks over the person trying to punch it?

• Barnbug1 SPANISH FORK, UT
    July 3, 2013 1:28 p.m.

BYU offered Utah a 5 for 1 in basketball, but the Utes said no way! They instead agreed to a 3 for 1 saying at the press conference, we demanded fairness and got it!

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    July 3, 2013 12:11 p.m.

Navel,

I just can't leave this post alone. It is a riot!

You tell whoever you are talking to "don't be so frantic and emotional."

Then later you go on a rant full of emotion and frantic prose...

"It's laugable how often I have to remind our Indy-WACey little brothers that Utah fans do our own thinking. It's allowed. Just because YOUR thinking has been done for YOU, doesn't mean ours had been done for us. So you can't tell me what I "would have said" in one of your fantasy alternate universes. You wouldn't know."

Still you got a point...

Good thing your here so you can do ALL of the THINKING for BYU fans. Honestly, I wouldn't know utah was better without you having to come here and tell BYU fans. It certainly doesn't show up anywhere else.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 3, 2013 12:04 p.m.

@Riverton Cougar

Punching bag?

BYU is indeed an established punching bag... as reflected by its losing record to BCS/ranked opponents and Utah.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    July 3, 2013 11:19 a.m.

Navel,

"So you can't tell me what I "would have said" in one of your fantasy alternate universes. You wouldn't know."

Hilarious, because that is EXACTLY what you do for BYU fans all the time.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    July 3, 2013 10:32 a.m.

navelvet

Michigan is the first ELITE OOC opponent ever to agree to play in RES - and very likely, the last.

Texas A&M is a very good program, but certainly not an elite program at the same level as USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida St, Florida, Penn St, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame, Miami, and Nebraska.

The main reason the Aggies left the Big 12 is because they were tired of being the little brothers to Texas.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 3, 2013 9:51 a.m.

talkingfranticemotion:

"Michigan is the FIRST OOC opponent ever to agree to play in RES - and very likely, the last."

The first huh? We never had a Home-&-Home OOC game with Texas A&M? Or Pitt? Or No. Carolina? Or pretty much every other team currently in the Pac-12 while we were in the WAC and MWC? Don't be so frantic and emotional.

"...if this were BYU, U would be spinning this as 2-for-1, since Utah has already played a one-and-done with Michigan."

It's laugable how often I have to remind our Indy-WACey little brothers that Utah fans do our own thinking. It's allowed. Just because YOUR thinking has been done for YOU, doesn't mean ours had been done for us. So you can't tell me what I "would have said" in one of your fantasy alternate universes. You wouldn't know. That said...

...Your big brother played at Michigan while we were not only in the MWC, but before our Sugar Bowl appearance, and well before all the conference realignments. The Home-&-Home was a result of notable achievements and events AFTER that game.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    July 3, 2013 7:59 a.m.

navelvet

It's laughable how obsessed you are with all things BYU - schedules, recruits, draftees.

It's like the PACy-WACers are in constant need of validating their very existence by comparing everything that happens in Provo with that bottom-dwelling program on the hill.

Michigan is the FIRST OOC opponent ever to agree to play in RES - and very likely, the last. Of course if this were BYU, U would be spinning this as 2-for-1, since Utah has already played a one-and-done with Michigan. That's just the way U roll.

BYU opens its home schedule this year with Texas (the Longhorn's 2nd visit to Provo), just the latest in a long string of elite teams that have been visiting LES for decades.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 3, 2013 7:45 a.m.

CougFaninTX:

"Finally a Ute fan who admits that U dropped BYU and added Fresno St to pad your schedule."

Just out of curiosity, which conference is it, that you think Fresno State is in anyway?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 3, 2013 7:38 a.m.

Duckhunter:

"I LIKE the home/away/neutral arrangements...When they get and extra million or two for playing those games, not to mention prime time, and often exclusive, tv coverage, it is just a no brainer to do them...This is an ADVANTAGE BYU has, that they can do them more frequently than other teams can. Your attempts to spin it as a bad thing are embarrassing for you."

Haha! Clearly YOUR "spin attempt" is embarrassing for YOU.

If you're suggesting a home/away/"neutral game in your opponent's backyard" were an "ADVANTAGE", then you would also be suggesting that a home/away/"neutral game at Ford Field" would have been a BETTER arrangement than our current Home-&-Home with Michigan. But that notion would be a ridiculous attempt at Indy-WACey spin.

It isn't that the Indy-WACers "CAN do them more frequently" as much as it's the Indy-WACers "CAN'T do them as frequently any other way". And this is a DISadvantage for the cougs.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 3, 2013 7:22 a.m.

Duckhunter:

"I would say BYU has more home games that I'd consider really interesting than utah does."

And I would say connecting you to a polygraph machine would reveal otherwise. Sour grapes.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 3, 2013 7:19 a.m.

Duckhunter:

"...outside of idaho st every home game BYU has holds some real interest, even middle tennessee holds some interest..."

Just another snapshot indication of how far down the college football pecking order the Indy-WACers have descended. You're now at the level where scheduling a boatload of one-offs and 2-for-1s with REAL schools, and get butterflies in your stomach for Sun Belt teams like Middle Tennessee St.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 3, 2013 7:12 a.m.

Duckhunter:

"I'll also enjoy going there to watch BYU play such low level, losing programs like Idaho St. and utah."

What a bitter, frantic and emotional thing to say. Just how many "losing" seasons had your big brother posted over this past decade?

Answer: ONE! And NOW we're a "losing program"? YOU guys had TWO! And by MY recollection, there sure hadn't been a lot "losing" whenever we lined up opposite the Indy-WACers. The way I remember it, it was something like 3-wins in a row, and 8 of the last 11. Isn't that the way YOU remember it?

And besides...I thought you enjoyed going to TULSA -- not LES -- whenever your big brother on the Hill visits WACistan.

• ArgoFY Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 3, 2013 12:17 a.m.

I love when BYU plays in NFL stadiums. Remember when they played in the Louisiana Superdome and University of Phoenix Stadium in the Sugar and Fiesta bowls??

Oh wait...

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    July 3, 2013 12:03 a.m.

ekute,

Don't get me wrong. If I were a Utah fan, I would be excited about being in the PAC. What a great opportunity for Utah sports and Utah fans. I hope they have success.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 2, 2013 10:57 p.m.

cougars1,

Yes, it was a genuine question. Thanks to you, duck and cougsndawgs for you honest answers without the frantic emotion. Glad to hear that you guys are season ticket holders and have the means to travel with your team. If I were in your shoes I would be excited to.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    July 2, 2013 9:53 p.m.

I'm very much looking forward to BYU's game versus West Virginia here in the nation's capitol.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    July 2, 2013 9:31 p.m.

I appreciate all the UTE fans' concern about my satisfaction as a BYU season ticket holder with the scheduling of neutral site games around the country.

I've lived on the East Coast, the Northwest, the South and Southern California and have attended at least one BYU away or neutral site game while living in each of those areas. I appreciated the Athletic Department's efforts to share the football team with fans across the country.

Living here now, I appreciate the opportunity to be a season ticket holder and am happy with the home schedule this year and the games that have been announced in the future. That said, I fully expect the Y to continue to schedule games (including neutral site games) across the country.

I'm sure there are some LES season ticket holders who would like to see all high profile games in Provo. To them I would say, sharing your team with a large national fan base should be celebrated, not bemoaned.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    July 2, 2013 9:23 p.m.

"les season ticket holders,
    How excited are you about 2 for 1's and neutral-sites vs quality opponents?"

Ekute,

I am very excited. I assume that is a genuine question. First of all, in years that BYU plays at neutral sites, they still have 6 home games, 5 road games, and a neutral site game. To those who don't seem to understand the difference between a home game and a game played close by in an NFL stadium, typically home teams only offer a couple thousand tickets to visiting teams. at a neutral site, both teams are allotted equal or close to equal numbers of tickets making it easier for BYU to match the number of fans as the opposition; which they usually do, and the players really get fired up when they are 1000 plus miles from Provo and the crowd makes it feel somewhat like a home game. I also love the opportunity to go to these games. Usually BYU offers travel packages for fans across the country as well.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 2, 2013 9:16 p.m.

Tom in CA said:

"WACpudding:

BYU, perhaps the best traveling team in America, is in high demand to be schedule by the "elite" teams in NFL venues. Obviously the little boys in slc haven't much interest these days. They're too busy playing the Fresno States of the world.

Except for the 2 year anomaly of a few years ago, the fact of the matter is utah has, is, and will always be on the outside looking in as the now "red-headed step child" of the pac 11.1."

More wishful thinking by a BYU fan. Ohio St., Oklahoma, Texas, ND, Alabama.....would say you are wrong about best traveling team in america.

So how much did BYU get in payouts to play in JerryWorld? Don't recall hearing about that. OK & TCU received $3 million.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    July 2, 2013 8:25 p.m.

" ......... the power conferences are not going away. And BYU will STILL be on the outside looking in..... "

WACpudding:

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 2, 2013 7:53 p.m.

@WACPaddingOurSchedule - I love your moniker. Finally a Ute fan who admits that U dropped BYU and added Fresno St to pad your schedule.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 2, 2013 7:49 p.m.

@WACPaddingOurSchedule - there's no need to think about it. A couple of clicks and U wouldn't need me to explain. BYU has a home and home with Houston. The game at Reliant is Houston's home game. Houston comes to BYU in 2014 and that's the end of the contract. But even in Houston, BYU fans will fill 20k+ seats. And I'll be one of them.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    July 2, 2013 7:27 p.m.

CougFaninTX
    Frisco, TX
    @WACPaddingOurSchedule - "Uhh that is still a home game for Houston no matter what. Nothing neutral about it."

This is not intended to be a neutral site game. Houston's stadium is under construction and all their games are at Reliant this year. Please have your facts before you post.

_____

Really CougFaninTX? So what.
    Yawn. Like I said "Uhh that is still a home game for Houston no matter what. Nothing neutral about it."

1. That is a home game for Houston.
    2. Nothing neutral about it, the game is being played in Houston.

Please think about what you say before responding to posts.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 2, 2013 6:58 p.m.

BlameItOnTheOfficials
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

I think it's great that BYU gets these opportunities.

I just wish my Utes could get invited to play in a big NFL stadium

-----------------

We do, it's called the NFL draft.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 2, 2013 6:54 p.m.

@talkinsports

Why would BYU need to play in LA or Phoenix when BYU has a large fan base in the DC area and along the Eastern seaboard?

------------------

Larger fan-base than Provo, Utah?

I don't know, but just maybe fans in Provo might find it easier to travel to Vegas, LA, or Phoenix?

Again, your the legacy program, with a world wide brand, WUV is not. Yet you can't even get them to agree to meet you half way, lets say Arrowhead Stadium?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 2, 2013 6:37 p.m.

@Bluto

Let us know when "anyone" shows an interest in having U headline one of their neutral site games, in an NFL Stadium, on a Major Network.

------------

Apparently not marketable enough to play in a "real" conference.

Let us know when a "real" legacy program signs a 2-for-1 (2 at LES) deal with BYU.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 2, 2013 6:27 p.m.

@Duckhunter

The payday BYU gets from a neutral site game is peanuts...Utah's PAC payout is more per regular season game.

On top of that BYU has to pay travel costs to the neutral site... and beyond that they have to pay a cupcake for a one and done at LES to balance the schedule.

BYU will be lucky to net a penny from that neutral site payout.

There is a reason no other team bases its scheduling strategy on h/h/n... it's what you do when you have no other alternatves...

like h/h with the big boys.

Advantage BYU? Now that's embarrassing.

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    July 2, 2013 6:13 p.m.

BYU's home schedule over the past 30 years has had some big time name programs visit LES. Texas has been here before...so has UCLA, Florida State, USC, Washington, Temple, Miami, Pitt, etc. I see us getting more of these type of games as time goes on. Compare home schedules over the years, and u just can't claim the same type of games. Going to the Pac 10+2 will help though. u record vs the Pac....83-131-6

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 2, 2013 5:30 p.m.

Love the home - home and neutral site trio, and I hope to see more of them. I realize most of the neutral site games will be closer to the other university which suits me just fine. Besides there's not a neutral site NFL type stadium in Utah.

I know I'm selfish, but I'm hoping for more games at Jerry World in Dallas. BYU drew a great crowd against Oklahoma and TCU. How about a home - home and Jerry World game against Texas Tech, Baylor or A&M? Once this contract finishes I hope Texas will re-sign for an Austin, Provo, Dallas re-match.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 2, 2013 5:12 p.m.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    July 2, 2013 4:35 p.m.

Here's another Utah fan who congratulates the Cougars on how well they are scheduling.

To Duckhunter - I have returned to the East Coast from my overseas assignment, so Naval Vet is obviously not the only "Ute fan on the East Coast."

To Naval Vet - I'm at 18 years of service in the Navy, and still counting!

Go Utes!

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    July 2, 2013 4:29 p.m.

Ekute,

The answer to your question is YES, 26-14 since 1972!!!

Go Cougs!!!
    Go Utes!!!

• Spider Rico Greeley, CO
    July 2, 2013 4:16 p.m.

Some Ute fans are terrible, some BYU fans are too. Being a fan of one or other of the schools doesn't automatically make you good or bad. I have great Ute friends and family even though I am a BYU grad and fan. Stop it peeps.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 2, 2013 3:58 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"If utah were to try to play in a regular season game in DC they'd be lucky to get 2000 'fans' to buy tickets."

There was a large contingency of Ute fans at the Pitt game back in 2011. That game drew the Philadelphia (5-hrs), Cleveland (2-hrs), Columbus (3.5-hrs), and Detroit (5-hrs) alumni crowd. With NYC (4-hrs), Philadelphia (2-hrs), Baltimore (30-min), and Virginia Beach/Norfolk (3-hrs) a lot closer than Pitt, we could EASILY get 2,000.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 2, 2013 3:42 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"Outside of naval there probably isn't a utah 'fan' on the entire east coast."

What a frantic and emotional thing to say. Are you suggesting that I'm the only Utah alumnus on the east coast? Or are you under the opinion that Utah alumni living on the east coast hate the Utes?

Either way, you're wrong...not that you'd ever admit it.

I know plenty of Utah alumni here in just Philadelphia alone! We have a group of 7 who converge weekly to watch Utah football on the Pac-12 Network, and we're not the only 7. I also know several through the Utah Alumni Association up in NYC. Furthermore, there's ANOTHER Alumni Association in Washington, D.C. As a point of reference for you, NYC is 2-hrs to the east, and D.C. is 2-hrs to the South. That's a lot of alumni. Not "Penn State" alumni big, but clearly, I'm not the only fan. Epic fail.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 2, 2013 3:31 p.m.

Ekute:
    Sorry, I was in meetings all day. I didn't see that u "called me out". I think you bring up a fair question. These past couple of years have not been great as far as home scheduling. I am a season ticket holder also, and do agree with most of what duck is saying. We have a couple of dogs, but the future schedule is filling out nicely. For me it's also just fun to go to games and see and mingle with the same people, tailgate, and just have a great time. Texas, Boise, GT, and Utah in the house this year...doesn't get much better than that. Honestly I do wish it was always like that, but both conference & Indy have their pros and cons.

Also, while I disagree sometimes with CO Ute and he has ribbed me a few times, I like his and Spokane utes comments. They are usually fair and respectful. Thanks COUte for acknowledging BYUs accomplishments. I hope u and other ute fans realize that despite my ribbing, teasing, and arguing, I do want to see the utes be successful in the PAC12.

• BruinRay97 San Diego, CA
    July 2, 2013 2:40 p.m.

" I heard a lot of USC fans were quite livid with how the Utes disrespected their campus". I am sure that there are unruly fans with every fan base. I for one, found UTE fans to be all around nice people. There were quite a few at the Rose Bowl last season for the game against my Bruins, and they were great fans. Very respectful, knowledgeable, loyal, and great tailgate company. I have kept in touch with many of my Ute friends(some are visiting me in San Diego this summer!) and our families are looking forward to future get-togethers. Hopefully one day soon, my Bruins will play the Cougars again, and I can meet some of their great fans as well. Good luck this upcoming season. Great schedules for both teams this year.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 2, 2013 1:52 p.m.

Jarvis,

byu would outsell Utah anywhere outside of RES. Happy?

Question...Can byu beat Utah in football...Anywhere?

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 2, 2013 1:41 p.m.

Reaping a pay day of 1.5 million or more for what equates to a bonus bowl game against a strong opponent is always good in my book. I don't care if the BYU anti-fans like it. With how much they post on BYU and USU articles it seems that the only relevant team is the one they are rooting against.

If BYU ever plays Utah in a neutral site game, I would like to see it in Vegas. It would be interesting to see which team could buy the most tickets. Utes seem to travel well. Unfortunately, they don't seem to "represent" their school well on those trips. I heard a lot of USC fans were quite livid with how the Utes disrespected their campus. However, by the time Utah lowers itself to schedule the Cougars, their program may have been losing too much to get much support from the fickle fans. Utah used to get fans to the basketball game when they were awesome. Now that they are so-so the Huntsman Center is relatively empty. The same could happen to the football team.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 2, 2013 1:19 p.m.

duck,

Props again to byu on this coming season's schedule.

My question is for the les season ticket holders in the coming years when holmoes strategy comes to fruition.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 2, 2013 1:08 p.m.

@howie

I LIKE the home/away/neutral arrangements. You can try to use that as a criticism if you want to but since I LIKE it it doesn't register as anything to me but you making a fool of yourself.

Not to mention those are all big money games for BYU, and while BYU's revenue is not a big issue with me, I don't get any of it afterall, it is pretty obvious why BYU would like the arrangements. When they get and extra million or two for playing those games, not to mention prime time, and often exclusive, tv coverage, it is just a no brainer to do them.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    July 2, 2013 1:06 p.m.

@won84

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 2, 2013 1:03 p.m.

@ekute

Let me ask you something then, this year BYU has idaho state at home, utah has weber st, outside of idaho st every home game BYU has holds some real interest, even middle tennessee holds some interest since it is a team we've never seen before.

utah's home schedule is made up of USU, Weber, osu, ucla, stanford, asu and colorado, that is a pretty good home schedule but it still includes a couple of real dogs in weber and colorado.

BYU's home schedule is Texas, utah, Middle Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Boise St, and Idaho st. which is pretty good as well. Of those games the only one that is hohum to me is idaho st. the rest ore either good programs or else in the case of MT a program we've never seen before. There's absolutely nothing to be disappointed with in that home schedule.

I would say BYU has more home games that I'd consider really interesting than utah does. utah has stanford and ucla but the rest aren't all that interesting. BYU has Texas, utah and Boise that are obvious big interest games. GT a little less.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 2, 2013 12:07 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Lesser teams... like utah?

Does BYU lose 70% to all the "lesser" teams they play... or just to Utah?

Oh... and despite all the spin if BYU could get the big boys to come to LES on a home and home basis they would... but they have to settle for so called nuetrals in the opponents back yard.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 2, 2013 11:57 a.m.

duck,

Good answer bro, I won't argue since you're speaking for yourself.

I grew up in happy valley, attended Trade Tech, currently do a lot of work down there and rub shoulders with a number les season ticket holders. In my opinion you don't speak for the majority.

Why not save the Utah, lesser program, trailer trash references for if and when you finally beat us?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 2, 2013 11:28 a.m.

@ekute

The majority of BYU fans live out of state despite the fact that BYU is the favorite team of most of the residents of this state.

As a season ticket holder for the last 33 years let me answer your question, I'm perfectly fine with it. BYU will have a mix of home games each year, one second looking at the schedule will show you that, so your attempt to be provocative is really a failure.

I enjoy traveling to games as well, and try to do so frequently, so going to DC to watch BYU and WV is something I will more than likely do. Ditto for the game with ua in Phoenix and the games with usc in LA.

So I'll enjoy going to LES to see BYU play teams like Texas, Georgia Tech, and Boise, I'll also enjoy going there to watch BYU play such low level, losing programs like Idaho St. and utah. Seems like a good mix to me, some quality programs and some lesser programs. No complaints.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 2, 2013 11:05 a.m.

@uteology

"Why couldn't you get WVU to agree to kickoff classic type game in any of the beautifully facilitates in LA or Phoenix or even Vegas (aka neutral sites)"

Do you really need to have this explained to you?

BYU has a national fanbase that will attend games in any location. They can play in Washington DC and reasonably expect to have anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 fans buy tickets and attend the game. West Virgina could never do that for a regular season game in LA, Phoenix, or even Las Vegas. These things are decided purely based on who can sell tickets where. BYU is perfect for these games because they can sell tickets ANYWHERE. Very few schools can do that for anything other than a bowl game.

If utah were to try to play in a regular season game in DC they'd be lucky to get 2000 "fans" to buy tickets. Outside of naval there probably isn't a utah "fan" on the entire east coast. There's a good chance more BYU fans would attend a utah game back east than utah "fans".

LOL!

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 2, 2013 11:01 a.m.

Hard not to notice that the majority of support for this strategy comes from out of state.

les season ticket holders,
    How excited are you about 2 for 1's and neutral-sites vs quality opponents?

• swissh Alpharetta, GA
    July 2, 2013 10:48 a.m.

So, SO nice to see BYU play--both on TV and around the country. Used to be we could hardly FIND their games, now they are hard to miss. Fantastic for those of us who lived out of the country or (as now) in the East. Please keep up the games in the East, neutral or not. When I attended the BYU-FSU game a couple of years ago in Tallahassee, the Seminole fan on the parking bus next to me said, "Man, you guys sure travel well. Other than Florida, I've never seen a visiting crowd like that." We were a dominant part of the crowd at Ole Miss (and what a FANTASTIC venue for football!) and GaTech the last 2 yrs. Charlottesville? DC? Reliant Stadium? Bring them on...the BYU crowds are amazing and you can see how fired up the players are when they come out at a distant (sometimes visitor's) stadium to a booming BYU crowd. Getting excited just writing about it. A conference might be nice--hard to say--but I sure love what independence brings to a school like BYU with fans around the World...

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 2, 2013 10:41 a.m.

I think it's great that BYU gets these opportunities.

I just wish my Utes could get invited to play in a big NFL stadium. I'm sick and tired of being seen as the bottom dwelling trash fish in the big pond of the PAC 12.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2013 10:31 a.m.

"Unless the Big 12 needs another punching bag, and bottom feeder buddy for Kansas."
    No need to insult Kansas. That "bottom feeder" has been to (and won) a BCS Bowl Game.

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    July 2, 2013 10:20 a.m.

just for the record - the BYU-Houston game is being played at Reliant Stadium because Houston is rebuilding their college stadium. All of Houston's home games for this year will be played at alternative venues, because Houston's new stadium won't be finished until 2014. Almost every home football game for Univ. of Houston this season is being played in Reliant Stadium - has nothing or almost nothing to do with popularity of BYU.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    July 2, 2013 10:17 a.m.

Duckhunter, Co Ute's comment was pretty harmless and honestly more of a compliment...Though, who he left out is inactive Mormons such as myself who are big BYU fans. Don't marginalize me bro!

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    July 2, 2013 10:15 a.m.

"Chris B

Salt Lake City, UT

Why not just do home and homes like all the bcs programs do?"

Have you not noticed that the BYU two-for-ones are only brokered with the USC and Wisconsin types? Schools like Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Utah are home and home.

Take the University of Kansas to further understand. They're in a BCS conference but, you don't see USC and Wisconsin looking to play them home and home. Instead they're home and home with Northern Illinois.

In other words, the quality of the individual brand far outweighs conference affiliation in relevance.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 2, 2013 9:51 a.m.

Neutral site game are good for BYU, and any program for that matter. The pay out exceeds a bowl pay out in many cases. The term "nuetral" is thrown around quite loosely though. When Gonzaga plays the battle of Seattle in Seattle vs Kansas State; it's far from nuetral.

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    July 2, 2013 9:35 a.m.

@howards "they can't get home and home games with the big boys."
    @ekute "has to mean a home schedule filled with cupcakes"

2013 Home opener...Texas Longhorns.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    July 2, 2013 9:35 a.m.

My o my, the trolls are a bit jealous of BYU playing well respected programs in NFL stadiums. It is even seen as a big enough game for the Houston Cougars to move the game to Reliant Stadium. (yes the HOUSTON COUGARS) Then they have to turn around and come to Provo the next year. I am sure Chris Hill has had some offers to play games in NFL stadiums against some quality opponents? It's the mighty U, right? Hill must have turned them down so he could play the 1 and done against Michigan and ND. That has to be the reason, right? Ute trolls either just like to stir up comments from us Cougar fans or really have no grasp of reality! Utes saying their program is better than the Y's is like saying tube steak (hot dogs) are better than Rib eyes! Please!!

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    July 2, 2013 7:59 a.m.

Compliments to the Y for scheduling these games. They are playing good teams at good venues. BYU does have a following, typically of Mormons, around the country and will draw well in these venues. Just because I don't root for the Cougars doesn't mean I can't respect and acknowledge their accomplishments.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    July 2, 2013 7:54 a.m.

Like Utah is, apparently? Congrats to earning the privilege of being a punching bag. BYU doesn't have that title. That is squarely Utah's title.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    July 2, 2013 7:53 a.m.

Uteology

"Why couldn't you get WVU to agree to kickoff classic type game in any of the beautifully facilitates in LA or Phoenix or even Vegas (aka neutral sites)?"

That's what having a national brand is all about; something that our little brothers obviously have a hard time comprehending from their local commuter school mentality.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 2, 2013 7:42 a.m.

Teams all over are lining up to versus us.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 2, 2013 7:31 a.m.

@Chris B and Uteology

And pays U 1.5 million (Oklahoma) or 2 million (W. Virginia) or even 1+ million for a (TCU) or (Mississippi State) game.

You see fellas, that's the difference between BYU and U.
    As a National Brand and Legacy school, BYU is marketable.
    And U are not.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 2, 2013 7:24 a.m.

@Cougsndawgs

West Point , UT

"I personally love that BYU is playing in some of these large venues and against the best teams."

I called you out bro, because most of your comments seem pretty sensible and you live here in the Wasatch Front.
    2 for 1's and neutral-site games vs the best teams...has to mean a home schedule filled with cupcakes...You're excited about that?..Really?

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 2, 2013 7:13 a.m.

And the spin continues...

BYU does neutral site games because they can't get home and home games with the big boys.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    July 2, 2013 7:08 a.m.

I love the future of BYU football! Playing in different NFL stadiums around the country is an awesome experience and exposure for the kids and the program. Now all we have to worry about is winning. If we win and win consistently then respect will come and it will not matter anymore if the haters continue to howl!

Go Cougars!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 2, 2013 6:19 a.m.

Ahh yes....

Our daily bYu affirmation: I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me -from the dnews.

If you keep saying it over and over, the lemmings will begin to believe vingar tastes like sugar.(used for centuries in this "peculiar" culture)

To the real world this is how it reads:

1.BCS teams basically plays 2 for 1 with bYu. with some game a stones throw away from campus.

2.ByU "strategy" is basically accepting game(s) they can get from the "in" crowd..

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 2, 2013 12:15 a.m.

Cougsndawgs

-------------

When one has to travel 2 time-zones it becomes a road game, regardless of team.

You are a legacy program with a national brand, start acting like one. Start forcing teams like WVU agree to your terms.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    July 1, 2013 11:28 p.m.

WACPaddled

A program on the bottom looking up in every sport played in the PAC would be well-advised to stay silent about any team being on the outside looking in.

From our vantage point, the Utes are nothing but shark bait.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 1, 2013 10:58 p.m.

WACPaddingOurSchedule
    pocatello, ID

"Yawn. BCS or not, the power conferences are not going away. And BYU will STILL be on the outside looking in. Unless the Big 12 needs another punching bag, and bottom feeder buddy for Kansas."

That would be because Utah got taken first, as a punching bag, and bottom feeder buddy.

----------------

Hey, It's July 1st. I say, more articles about scheduling, less Mildred.

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    July 1, 2013 10:52 p.m.

It's not Robertson, it's an NFL house, just like the Tulane game was in the Superdome, not on campus facility..

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    July 1, 2013 10:47 p.m.

Well said!

BYU has already played two made-for-television games in Dallas Cowboys Stadium against Oklahoma and TCU. It'll be interesting to see how many decades it'll be before the Utes play their first. Guaranteed, the failed experiment known as the bcs will be long forgotten before it happens.

______

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    July 1, 2013 10:42 p.m.

Zoniezoobie
    Mesa, AZ
    Don't forget this year's Cougars vs. Cougars at the home of the NFL Texans on October 19th this season, Houston's Reliant Stadium.

______

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    July 1, 2013 10:30 p.m.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 1, 2013 10:15 p.m.

I personally love that BYU is playing in some of these large venues and against the best teams. Some of our favorite ute trolls like to describe some of these games as "2-1s" & "one-offs". As I've stated before, Arizona is a home & home with this great neutral site game in one of the most beautiful facilities in all of football, college or pro. BYUs game against WVU is not a "one off", it's a kickoff classic type game, being played again, in a beautiful huge facility. I think these are exciting times to be a Y fan...love my independence.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    July 1, 2013 10:12 p.m.

007

"BYU, Oklahoma, LSU, Oregon, Alabama and Michigan are just a few of the big time programs playing neutral-site games. It's big-time programs with national respect and following that play in these games. That's why Utah doesn't."

Well said!

• 007 Layton, UT
    July 1, 2013 9:57 p.m.

Chris B, it's astounding how little you know about college football. BYU, Oklahoma, LSU, Oregon, Alabama and Michigan are just a few of the big time programs playing neutral-site games. It's big-time programs with national respect and following that play in these games. That's why utah doesn't.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2013 7:59 p.m.

Why not just do home and homes like all the bcs programs do?

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2013 7:23 p.m.

I'm a huge BYU fan and I've had enough of these meaningless articles about scheduling.

We can play who we want, when we want.