Sports

Brad Rock: USU has even bigger jump than Utah

Comments

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    July 9, 2013 3:45 p.m.

@Striker

Comment of the Decade my friend. The aggies will hate you for it though. They still believe they can be unbelievable without Andersen.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    July 9, 2013 5:47 a.m.

"Utah is 83-131-6 against the Pac-12 (.387)."

And the number is decreasing.

For USU, their % will probably stay the same. Some tougher teams, but also some easy teams. With their HC gone, USU will be back to being average. I don't know why people think they have turned corner after only one good season. Remember, Gary had two losing seasons in a very weak conference before going 7-6 and then last year. Gary will really struggle in WI. He never proved he was a great coach. One good season doesn't mean you're a great coach.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 4, 2013 11:16 a.m.

@Neil

BYU is quite happy where it is at with independence.

The animosity about the Utes has been brought on by arrogant posts demeaning USU and BYU and then making it through the censors. Your post is a perfect example of this problem. It begins nice, but then demeans BYU at the end. That animosity hopefully will die down after this year when Utah drops BYU and USU from the schedule. In my opinion, the BYU-Utah rivalry was never a healthy one for the fans. Too many obsessed about it. Too many still obsess about it.

I am a fan of all three teams having followed them since I was little. USU has now been ran.ked twice during that time. This year will be the third. What many of the U fans think is that last year was a fluke. They obviously haven't been following USU. USU, the better team, will beat the Utes who are rebuilding after graduating virtually every marquee player last year. They will play for the MWC championship.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    July 3, 2013 8:55 p.m.

I am Aggie fan and thrilled the Ags are in the MWC. Great fit. With that in mind what is with all the negative comments on the Utes. Granted the last two seasons have been disappointing but not total failure. The Utes B-ball team finished strong with a good conference tourney showing. The Utes absolutely made the right move joining the PAC-12. It is a great conference and they are not going to kick anybody out or ever invite BYU. BYU is a conservative religious school. They would never be a good fit in the same conference as Cal-Berkley or U of Washington, bastions of liberalism. Get real

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    July 2, 2013 6:19 p.m.

AZUTE,

How many post does it take to make some very lame excuses for your team losing to an in-state rival? Wow!!! It would be funny if I thought your rant was tongue in cheeck but you believe every word!!!

Go Cougs!!!
    Go Utes!!!

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    July 2, 2013 5:33 p.m.

Chris B,

Wow!!! Someboby is puffed up with pride!!! USU knows their place? Remind us all again how Utah has done in their new big boy conference? I would think that getting beat down two years in a row without having to play the best teams would have humbled you at least a little bit but I was way wrong!!! All I can say is Wow I am stunned!!!

Go Cougs!!!
    Go Utes!!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 2, 2013 11:40 a.m.

I can't wait for 8/29! I will be at the game, and clearly I will be rooting for the Utes - but I hope that will be the Aggie's only loss for the year.

Congratulations on the move up. I wish you all the best, well deserved!!

Go Utes
    Go Aggies

• The A Game Logan, UT
    July 1, 2013 6:28 p.m.

I think I fell asleep there for a bit while reading your excuses AZUTE. In sports there is one winner and one loser. Pretty simple stuff. Utah lost. Utah State won. Guess what....they play again this August. And guess what....one will win and one will lose. While it may make you feel better, excuses don't count. At all. But it is good to know that you're expert at making them. My favorite is the "unforced botched punt." Who knew you could block a punt unforceably?

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2013 6:24 p.m.

@AZUTE1

My point in mentioning Colorado, Cal, and Wazzu was to show that the Utes played some spectacularly bad opponents of their own last season. Colorado was EASILY in the bottom five right there with Idaho and NMSU last season. Going 1-11 and losing to an average FCS team is laughable!

The bottom half of the WAC was terrible, but the fact that the conference finished as the top non-AQ conference despite that fact shows how strong the top half was.

Of course it's a big deal replacing GA. But Wells has been there right with him, helping build the program from the bottom up the past few years. If anybody can carry on what Gary started, Wells is a darn good candidate.

You stated USU would soon go back to College football's cesspool in this article: "USU football: Chuckie Keeton and Kyler Fackrell named to College Football Performance Awards Watch Lists."

I don't think the Aggies are world-beaters, but they are contenders! And as for the Utah game, wouldn't it be much easier to just admit the Utes got outplayed and lost for reasons other than some lady luck for the Aggies?

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 1, 2013 4:00 p.m.

sambonethegreat--

Finally, my intent is to see perspective maintained. Fact is, usu's best team in history [yet still couldn't manage to go undefeated even once, let alone twice] beat UTAH's worst team in recent memory while needing OT/myriad key-injuries/ejection for UTAH, missed FG to end game in regulation, unforced botched punt leading to gimme 7-PTS for usu, questionable P.I. call during OT, healthy dose of Lady Luck, herself, etc., all the while playing at home, mind you, yet barely pulled it off by game's end, their first such win over UTAH in 13 meetings.

Sometimes teams need quite a bit of Lady Luck, in order to win such a game. It happens and I tipped my hat to usu afterward and I still tip my hat to usu today. Just keep it in perspective and call it for precisely what it was, nothing more.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 1, 2013 3:50 p.m.

sambonethegreat--

[Cont'd]

"And the WAC also finished as the top non-AQ conference last season according to ESPN."

However, it was so utterly bottom-heavy with the worst of the worst in College Football. Even UTSA's final record deceived greatly, while playing against the #125 SOS. Reference their wins/opponents for yourself.

"It may be premature to say the Aggies will do something similar in 2013 as they did in 2012, but I think it's equally premature to say the Aggies will go back to the CFB cesspool considering where the program is now and what resources they have at their disposal."

Coach GA is unique, to say the very least. Your implication it's not really a big deal to replace his ability to motivate/recruit/fund-raise, among the nations best, is a sure way to set yourself up to endure great disappointment when it all comes crashing back down to reality.

As for "cesspool", I have no idea where you got this, but I haven't seen anybody on here state such a thing. It'd be tough to return to such a depth, but equally tough for a usu to sustain/repeat 2012, beyond.

[Cont'd]

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 1, 2013 3:35 p.m.

Sambonethegreat--

"I never said USU's SOS was great, but the CBS sports list was a pre-season list, right?"

CBS Sports rankings are current/accurate. usu benefited from double-digit wins, per their final ranking, regardless of opponent. However, stronger SOS/going undefeated would've significantly enhanced their final-ranking, much more [See 2004/2008 UTAH].

"Also, as bad as Idaho and NMSU are, Cal, Colorado, Washington State, and N. Colorado certainly aren't any better. In fact, Colorado lost to Sacramento State last season. OUCH."

N. CO was to us what SUU was to usu. Your point?

To say PAC-12 teams with BCS-level overall-talent aren't any better than 2 teams known nationally to be College Football's unequivocal bottom of the bottom-feeders, ripe w/virtually all 2-Star/NR recruits, is utterly surreal. 1 fluke loss to Sac St in now way even remotely alters this fact. This attempt to equate these teams with each other is mind-boggling, actually. Wow!

If you were attempting to equate usu's/UTAH's SOS, don't bother. Per Sagarin, usu's at #97/UTAH's at #41. No comparison, whatsoever.

[Cont'd]

• DFoweman Syracuse, UT
    July 1, 2013 2:22 p.m.

I am a proud graduate of the University of Utah and have attended many games over the years. I have become disgusted at the arrogance and attitude of many of the Ute fans out there who throw it in the face of others that the Utes are in the PAC-12. So what my fellow Utes, get over yourselves.It was an exciting day when it was announced that the Utes would join the PAC-12, but it means nothing until the Utes show they belong there. The team doesn't seem to have the arrogant attitude the fans have but there are some real idiot fans out there that are an embarrassment to the rest of the Ute fans and some of them have posted comments here today.
    I am excited for the Aggies and I say good for you. I wish you the best and I hope you do well in the MWC.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2013 1:04 p.m.

@AZUTE1

I never said USU's SOS was great, but the CBS sports list was a pre-season list, right? Teamrankings had USU's SOS at 77. And to be totally fair, some of the teams on USU's schedule turned out to be tougher than expected. LA Tech, San Jose State, and Toledo were all very solid teams in 2012. Besides, SOS is factored into the final BCS rankings, and USU came in at #22 in the BCS. Not too shabby.

Wells has a very experienced and well-rounded staff at USU, much more so than when Gary Started in 2009. It may be premature to say the Aggies will do something similar in 2013 as they did in 2012, but I think it's equally premature to say the Aggies will go back to the CFB cesspool considering where the program is now and what resources they have at their disposal.

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    July 1, 2013 12:51 p.m.

This is cool for USU to go into the Mt West. They've become a legitimate program in a short time. I hope they'll keep it up with new coaching change. Go Aggies!!!!

Boise St. shouldn't be in the MWC but should be in the PAC12. They should kick out Washington State and Colorado and put in BSU and even BYU.

• SameJersey Kaysville, UT
    July 1, 2013 11:23 a.m.

What the article fails to mention is that USU is most often TWICE as efficient as most other FBS programs. USU athletics routinely wins national awards for "doing more with less."

22+ Million in Logan is 44 million quite anywhere else. They have a well run, streamlined system and, unlike other schools I could mention, have very little "waste."

As to the Ute fans, and with all due respect, you really need to look to your own program and its problems. USU will still be in the top half of their conference by a wide margin this year, and may just give BSU a run for their money for both the division and the conference title. BSU at Logan is a going to be a tough win for the Broncos.

I cheer for all schools in this state and, honestly, cannot understand the attitude some are showing towards "little brother." USU is a different program than it was in the past. Saying anything else at this point is just sour grapes and makes you look irrational.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    July 1, 2013 10:32 a.m.

@AZUTE1

Did it ever occur to you why some teams falter that should do well in college football? Injuries probably is the largest factor. When a team plays bruisers up front they risk losing games they shouldn't. That is why Utah wants to avoid certain teams. Even when they win the big game, they usually lose two or three games because of the pounding the players take.

Utah State is playing TWO years of great ball. Last year they won the majority of the close games while the year before they couldn't quite get there because of inexperience. I suppose you failed to notice what else was going on in college football past your team getting spanked every week in the PAC12. The main difference between the transitions is that while both Utah and Utah State are relatively the same strength of program currently, Utah does not have enough players to complete a season in the PAC12 while USU does for the MWC.

USU has the experience of winning against supposedly better programs. USU has a chip on their shoulder and are willing to PROVE themselves. I remember when that same thing could be said Utah.

• tdlawton Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 1, 2013 9:42 a.m.

Joining the MWC is easily a big postive for USU and I think the Aggies will do just fine on the fields and courts...

USU Football and Basketball programs look entering the tougher competition in good shape. Utah entered the Pac-12 with its Basketball program at a 100 year low and has had the misfortune of a revolving door at Football's most important postion (QB).

Other than their first game vs. the Utes in SLC I will be one of the many Utah Alumni and fans wishing the Aggies success in the MWC.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 1, 2013 8:39 a.m.

cougfaninTX--

"The elitist comments are way off target. Being in the PAC means nothing (except more money for the university) if U finish near the bottom in football, M and W basketball and baseball. Most experts would tell you that the 2008 MWC Utes were a more elite program than the 2012 PAC Utes."

"Elite" has been adequately broken-down on here, nothing to specifically add it.

However, you state above how way off target the Elitist comments are. On this point, I agree 100% and hope that you'll begin leading the way by discontinuing your seemingly endless references to it?

Thanks in advance! Greatly appreciated!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 1, 2013 1:42 a.m.

sambonethegreat--

"Lastly, that triple digit SOS you keep talking about is baloney. USU's SOS last year, while not great, wasn't nearly as bad as you are trying to make it sound."

Sagarin ranked usu's SOS #97. CBS Sports ranked usu's SOS #113 out of 124 total teams ranked. Think week-in, week-our grind of a schedule=UTAH's, NOT usu's!

A perfect illustration of no weeks-off in-between tougher games, see UTAH's 2013 mid-season 8-game stretch. I'm not complaining, whatsoever, mind you, as I in fact completely welcome this challenge! I only mention it, in order to show you that beating a bunch of NMSUs/Idahos, in part as built-in breathers/guaranteed wins ensuring bowl eligibility [see 2-Star byu's Indy-schedules as prime examples of deliberately scheduling weeks-off with cupcakes/actual bye-weeks], which does in fact boost one's chances of masking/mitigating non-BCS overall talent/depth, and actually does in fact differ from a legitimate back-to-back week-in, week-out grind of a schedule, big-time!

I wouldn't conceive of ever trading our situation in PAC-12 for 2-Star byu's/usu's, ever!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 1, 2013 1:06 a.m.

sambonethegreat--

"Yeah, he left us. But he left us in FAR better shape than where we were five years ago. We have vastly improved facilities, recruiting, and fundraising because of him. Andersen's system is fully in place and Wells said he isn't going to try and fix what isn't broken."

To date, I agree 100%. However, now that he's moved-on, the consummate recruiter/motivator/fundraiser suddenly must be replaced. Here it becomes tricky, as he's virtually irreplaceable, if not entirely so. This is, in part, what I was referencing below in projecting usu's football program, going forward. Thoughts?

"And the Utes didn't fail when Urban Meyer left town. Why can't a similar situation play out with the Aggies?"

The obvious next step is comparing MW/Coach KW at identical juncture in their respective careers. Thoughts?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 30, 2013 10:37 p.m.

@CougFanTx

One loss for either team takes both teams out of the playoff picture. Teams like Alabama, Notre Dame and Texas still have a shot with one loss, but not the Utes or Cougs.

-------------

One loss Cougars will most likely playing in a 2-tier bowl game in December.
    BCS denies Cougars; BYU (12-1) headed to Liberty
    -- Dec. 4 2001

One loss PAC-12 Utah team will most likely play in playoff game. Why?

Because since 1998 (BCS era) TEN PAC-10-12 teams with one loss have finished #4.

Thus, a one loss PAC-12 team is most likely a playoff team. At the very least a one loss PAC-12 team is playing in the Rose Bowl.

Those are not elitist comments, just reality.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    June 30, 2013 10:26 p.m.

@ elite:

For someone who perhaps sees a bit too much red, the sports Duckhunter referred to that people care about that Utah is obviously not competitive with in their conference is both football and basketball. Since they have finished near the bottom in both sports since joining, it's not even arguable.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 30, 2013 10:16 p.m.

MWC was a three team league: TCU, Utah, and BYU (in that order).

Now it's Boise, Utah State, Fresno/SDSU (in that order).

Go Aggies!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    June 30, 2013 10:12 p.m.

To Elite:

Literally no one but a Ute troll would ever consider calling any team that wins only .387 of their conference games "elite". As a bare minimum a team has to consistently win over half of their conference games and be bowl eligible.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 30, 2013 10:08 p.m.

@CougFaninTX

USU is clearly a university whose athletic programs are on the rise, especially football. I'm not a Ute hater, but I'm afraid Utah will be in the bottom half of the PAC most years....

Once every 20 years they will put together something noticeable.

-----------

But you have to admit once every 20 years in a "real" conference is MUCH better than once every 30+ years as a mid-major (see 1984 in football and "Ainge era" in basketball).

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2013 9:48 p.m.

Naval Vet, Cougsndawgs, and CougFaninTX: all classy people. Thanks for the kind words towards us Aggies. I'm stoked for the move to the MWC!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    June 30, 2013 8:38 p.m.

Finally, I stand by my statement regarding Coach GA's departure and its long-term impact on usu's football program. Time will tell its entire story, although, IMO, 2013 will be a step-back for usu, just not the precipitous one I predict results going forward.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    June 30, 2013 8:09 p.m.

Naval Vet:
    Wow...I think you have written the first post where I entirely agree with you. Very classy words for a classy organization like USU. I wish the Aggies all the best in their new home. The MWC is absolutely the best midmajor conference, and past power rankings have shown that (sometimes even rated above the ACC). With all their returning starters, there's no reason to believe USU can't have another great season, and even compete for the MWC championship (BSU, Fresno, and SDSU will be tough but USU has the horses to pull off upsets). Good luck Aggies!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    June 30, 2013 7:27 p.m.

Sambone and Samoan - Your comments are spot on. I only disagree with one sentence. I believe BYU and Utah's chances of playing for the NC are exactly the same. An undefeated regular season will be required for either team to get into the new playoff. As long as BYU continues to put together a schedule like they have in 2013, an undefeated season will get them to the new playoffs just like it will for the Utes.

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    June 30, 2013 7:07 p.m.

I can't pinpoint which comment I love the most. These Aggies are so funny. Weather it's the poor excuse for attacks on me or the delusion that they are actually going to be successful without Andersen. Face the facts Aggies. Not one person agrees with your views. All they have to do is go to a game and watch how you fan's act.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2013 6:36 p.m.

"It's remarkable what one decent season can do to an entire fanbase's collective common-sense!... but their self-delusion is so utterly rampant that usu fans literally don't comprehend precisely what the full-impact of Coach GA removing himself from the equation up there in Logan in actuality means for usu's football program!"

I already addressed this issue to you in another post. I know where USU has been, but I also see where they can go. USU has the tools to succeed going forward now because of Andersen.

• ekute Layton, UT
    June 30, 2013 6:19 p.m.

Duckhunter,

"utah will never be near the top consistently in any sport people actually care about."

Like rugby, soccer, and the NIT. lol.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 30, 2013 6:17 p.m.

I don't see the point on bagging on Utah State. The MWC lost Utah in 2011, but added Boise St. That seems like a push. When it lost TCU the following year, they were unable to replace them with a similarly dominant program, so really, that was the only loss. Don't forget that despite the loss of the 2-time BCS bowl busting Frogs, the MWC is STILL the premier midmajor league out there. And the addition of USU, FSU, and UNR were solid additions. The MWC will be fine, and the Aggies will fit right in.

Utah State had earned my respect.

Go Aggies!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 30, 2013 5:19 p.m.

Neither usu or utah will ever be major contenders in their conference in football, although usu will be near the top consistently in basketball. utah will never be near the top consistently in any sport people actually care about.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    June 30, 2013 4:01 p.m.

Chris B is entitled to his opinions but as indicated by other posters, he doesn't speak for all U fan. I'm thrilled to see the Aggies move into a better conference and to continue to upgrade their football program. Hopefully they will have a successful first year but talk of another top 25 ranking and another bowl game is very premature at this point. If they finish with 8 or more win in the regular season that will be a great story and get them to a bowl game but they could easily start the season at 1-6 before the schedule gets easier.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2013 4:00 p.m.

The entire reason Utah State didn't end up in the same mess that Idaho and New Mexico State did, is Craig Thompson's egotistical desire to blackmail BYU back into the MWC. Why did he turn to Logan first nearly 3 years ago when the BYU independence plan was coming to light?

The fact that can't be avoided is Utah State is the "poorest little stepsister" of all the MWC schools and amplifies more than anything why BYU wanted to bail on that league.

Still further Utah State has state university demography in enrollment and the future size of alumni bases working against it. If Utah Valley University started a football program, they would have better odds of turning such a project into a Boise State level success, something that BYU without question uses to stop any efforts to have their program dropped when the issue arises in discussions at the senior LDS Church leadership levels.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    June 30, 2013 3:41 p.m.

"I despise the fact that a noticeable contingent of Ute fans think they are elite because they are in an elite conference. Just because somebody invites someone else to a party, doesn't mean the invitee actually belongs there."

Noticeable contingent?

It's remarkable what one decent season can do to an entire fanbase's collective common-sense! It likely won't be too discernible in 2013, as much as it will be in the next few years, but their self-delusion is so utterly rampant that usu fans literally don't comprehend precisely what the full-impact of Coach GA removing himself from the equation up there in Logan in actuality means for usu's football program! You will in short time, bank on it!

BTW, even playing against a triple-digit SOS, usu still couldn't manage to go undefeated/BCS Bowling/WINNING....Beware where you go pointing your collective finger at and ignorantly casting judgement!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    June 30, 2013 3:24 p.m.

Steven S Jarvis

The difference between the Utes and the Aggies is that the Utes already forgot who they are and what made them special after they were given a place in the PAC12 prematurely. The Aggies on the other hand know full well who they are and that makes them dangerous. I expect USU with their experience and heart will put them on top of the MWC and over Utah week one of the season on their way to another t25 ranking and bowl game."

How does the saying read, "Ignorance is bliss"? While you're at, please detail for us all precisely what you believe our transition into The PAC-12 consists of and what similarities/differences you believe usu's transition into The MWC shares with it?

Thanks in advance!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2013 2:44 p.m.

Good luck Aggies on your well deserved move to the MWC.

• ekute Layton, UT
    June 30, 2013 1:43 p.m.

Balan,

Everybody in a major conference is elite.

ND is the only independent with elite status.

Even BS in MWC is more elite than byu.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    June 30, 2013 1:22 p.m.

ekute - so you are "elite" because of the conference you are in???? What a hoot!!! Typical Ute mentality - celebrating the conference more than their under-performing program!

Just so you know - the elite programs in the country EARN that status by WINNING. Keep telling yourself that you are elite because you belong to the PAC12, but by so doing you continue to make yourself look foolish in the eyes of anyone other than a Utah fan.

I would like to take a pool around the country and see who really thinks Utah is "elite"!

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2013 12:42 p.m.

@Steven S Jarvis

YES! Someone who gets it.

And thank you for the kind words to us Aggies. I appreciate it greatly.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    June 30, 2013 12:22 p.m.

I will root for the Utes every week this season, after the first game.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    June 30, 2013 12:19 p.m.

ekute,

Glad to know that bro! I fully expect you guys to not be content with just being in your conference of champions. I want you guys to tear up the Pac. every year and loose only to BYU if and when we play, which unfortunately has not been happening lately much to my chagrin. Btw, don't be fooled into believing that BYU doesn't aspire to the same goals the Utes have of playing in a prestigious bowl every year or for the NC some day. Our chances are just as real as yours only a little less realistic and much harder to achieve due to reasons you're pounding your chests about now, especially your being an AQ conference member. Let's let the future tell the story of where you'll fit in instead of boasting and talking big of accomplishments you haven't yet delivered. Don't just ride on the coattails of others. Be the big dog yourself in your conference then you can blow your horn all you want and no one will argue. Respect must be earned continually to be relevant. May all Utah schools do that!!!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2013 11:30 a.m.

I wish nothing but success for Utah State and I love the healthy rivalry and mutual respect Utes and Aggies share.

Fans like the one of the top of this thread are an embarrassment.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    June 30, 2013 10:33 a.m.

How many spectators does Romney hold? How many attend? Those are key stats for the USU future. I wish them well.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    June 30, 2013 10:21 a.m.

Please stop referring to Chris B as a Utah fan. He's just a pot-stirring troll.

• ekute Layton, UT
    June 30, 2013 10:00 a.m.

thebigsamoan,

We're never content.
    If we make it to the Rose Bowl, we want to win the Rose Bowl.
    If we win the Rose Bowl, an NC would of been better.

Yes, we are elite with our Pac12 membership.
    Other teams in the state and in other conferences around the west covet what we have.

byu seems content just to have a higher standard.
    Good for them because that's all they'll ever have.

Go Utes.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    June 30, 2013 9:47 a.m.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    June 30, 2013 7:41 a.m.

Looking for better and greater things from Utah State, go Aggies!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    June 30, 2013 7:21 a.m.

Someone's view of the Utes and USU is clearly distorted. USU is clearly a university whose athletic programs are on the rise, especially football. I'm not a Ute hater, but I'm afraid Utah will be in the bottom half of the PAC most years. Just look at where football, M and W basketball and baseball finished during the first two years in the PAC.

Once every 20 years they will put together something noticeable.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    June 30, 2013 6:17 a.m.

I just have to chuckle and shake my head at the arrogance of some of these usual Utah fans who look down their noses at programs who they now think are below them since they joined the mighty Pac. Their membership in that so called power conference has made them elite in their own minds. The fact that they're in a conference where they can realistically sniff a top tier bowl or even a NC game is wonderful indeed don't get me wrong. I do want them to be wildly successful and win their conference every year. But please, can't you just at least wait until you actually accomplish something in your new conference before you start pounding your chest and look down your nose on others? I mean, what good does it do to continually to be eligible to get a sniff of the Rose Bowl, NC, etc, if can't ever get to play in it? Must you be content by just taking a whiff and not ever making it? Just wondering!

Good to see Utah State moving up in conference association!

Go Cougars, USU and the UTES too!!!

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    June 30, 2013 5:04 a.m.

Strang08,

I think you should reconsider your criteria for "hero." Many Ute fans are embarrassed/annoyed by Chris B's comments.

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    June 29, 2013 11:50 p.m.

@Chris B

You are my hero man. Everything you said is 100% true. The aggies will never see it though. This isn't big. The WAC 2.0 isn't a big deal. Now moving from the now WAC 2.0 (formerly MWC) to the PAC12 is in fact a big move. Nobody from Logan will see that.

@Go Big Blue

When you play the same teams you've always played in the same conference you've always been in it's not that hard. And you won't be the top of the WAC 2.0 because you have to play Bosie State again. They are the top of the WAC 2.0. What you fail to realize is all that success you had was due to one person. Gary Andersen and now he is gone to a better school. Your success is over this year.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    June 29, 2013 11:22 p.m.

Unlike the Utes, USU will be in the top half of their new conference in football and basketball from the get go.

What Kristy fails to recognize is the projection of the Aggies football program over the past four years. Last year was not a fluke. USU has made steady progress on the field and has the players to keep it going this year.

Go Big Blue!!!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 29, 2013 10:21 p.m.

The reason I like the aggies is they understand their place in collegiate sports. They will never be invited to a power conference. They will never whiff a rose bowl, sugar bowl, final four. Yet once every 20 years they will put together something noticeable.

They generally support Utah athletics and recognize we are the premier university in the state.

They are a great regional program who once every decade will find a way to beat us.

And I can't even say I am that mad when it happens, because the other 9 years they are supportive little brothers.

Go aggies!