Sports

Utes basketball adds Connor Van Brocklin for 2013-14 season

Comments

• SportsFann Bountiful, UT
    July 3, 2013 4:47 a.m.

Great job Van Brocklin. This is a terrific young man and hard worker. And I'm a Viewmont fan!

• 007 Layton, UT
    July 2, 2013 6:11 p.m.

AZUTE1-
    It's funny yet at the same time a little sad how seriously you take this stuff. I was going to ask you to explain how the mighty utes could lose to a team that couldn't even come close to beating USF but I don't want you to lose any more sleep.

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2013 12:06 p.m.

Gotta say that the video make him look pretty good. We will have to see how he does against a real defense. Utah could use anything at this point, even a walk-on.

• Otis Spurlock Returns! Herriman, UT
    July 2, 2013 9:07 a.m.

What a cool name. Van Brocklin!

Even our players' names are better than BYU.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 1, 2013 3:41 p.m.

Dear wookie,

You most certainly didn't answer my question about chris b and the other utah "fans" I mentioned, all you said was that you have no control over them, which I agreed with, you do not have control over anyone but yourself. My question was why do you not call them out in the same manner you call me out? You evaded it because the answer I made on your behalf is true, what they post and do does not bother you, all that bothers you is what I post about utah therefor you want it to stop.

Once I see you consistently calling them out in the manner you call me out then I will give some credence to your desires, until that time I will simply point out your hypocrisy and keep on doing my thing.

And in answer to your orginal question, I do what I do because I am the balance, plain and simple. You think it is to make "contention" but all I am doing is continuing the conversation in the manner your contemporaries converse on these boards.

Remember you control yourself, you can choose not to engage in hypocrisy.

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2013 2:56 p.m.

Frank Caliendo makes some of the best impressions around but the Utah basketball team makes even a better impression; one on the rise and a power house in the PAC 11+U. It's not real however.
    When you cannot even draw 5,000 people to a conference game you have a problem.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 1, 2013 2:08 p.m.

But seriously folks!

"AZUTE,
    Rebuilding would be an understatement. Utah athletics are an embarassment to the state and will continue to be for a few more seasons. Please don;t cast stones at BYU when you know they will just be returned.
    Leave the BYU articles and I will leave the Utah articles."

Oh my, I'm totally intimidated! Seriously! Please, please explain to me how/when I'll ever again be able to sleep another wink?

While you're at, please point-out to me precisely where you, yourself, cast stones at me, I just simply don't see any?

Thanks in advance!

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    July 1, 2013 1:15 p.m.

Dear Duckhunter.

Re-read my post. I answered your question about Chris B and the like. Now pay me the same respect and answer the question I ask of you. As to your additional comments, I take no issue with factual truthful comments, critical or not. I am not ashamed of the U's recent struggles. I think that most Utah fans like myself were expecting our transition into the PAC12 to be a challenge, which it has proven to be. Would I like to see them do better? Of course, I'd be a fool to say otherwise. Are they getting better? Depends on what area you focus on. No please Duckhunter, answer my questions I send your way.

Go UTES!!

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2013 1:07 p.m.

AZUTE,
    You make a good point about Frank Caliendo. I don't think I have laughed as hard at the dismal Utah season and the chest pounding from Utah fans about how great it is to be in power conference. Believe me, the other members of the conference hardly know Utah is there unless they need a guaranteed win.

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2013 12:57 p.m.

AZUTE,
    Leave the BYU articles and I will leave the Utah articles.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 1, 2013 12:53 p.m.

Dear wookie,

You cannot control anyone but yourself, so let me ask you this question.

Why do you only call me out and not christina, naval, azute, hedgehog, howie, etc.?

Sice you have control of yourself why is it that you don't call out those who are supposedly "fans" of the same school you are for their embarrassing posts and behaviors? It is because what they do and say does not bother you, it just bothers you to hear less than effusive praise for the school you like so the only cooments you want to see ended are the ones that are critical and/or truthful about utah, you do not care about your associates comments.

I find that to be incredibly hypocritical.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2013 12:19 p.m.

DEFINITION: Walk-on: A player that cannot get a scholarship or offers from a sports team.
    Sounds about right for the Utah program.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    July 1, 2013 10:01 a.m.

Dear Duckhunter:

Why do you constantly try to stir things up on the Utah boards. I can't control Chris B and the like, but you should know better as I assume you relationship to being a fan of BYU collaborates with your faith? If not, then excuse my observation. This article is just apprising Utah fans that there is a young man who has been given an opportunity to play for a program that is getting better each year under Coach K2.

Anyway, I wish this young man success.

Go UTES!!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    June 30, 2013 9:31 p.m.

CougFaninTX

"Will Utes feel like Krysto is on an upward trend after 2013/14? The Utes lost 4 of their best 6 players from last season. It's a 10 - 12 win season at best. The only top notch player is Loveridge. Get 2 or 3 more like him and I'll buy into the hype."

Please....We only returned 2 players last season and with this year's mixture of departures/arrivals, anybody who's actually studied it and is unbiased, sees clearly how greatly we improved our roster, hands-down!

I assure you, few outside our program expected the consistently competitive product we had on the court during this last season, particularly against our toughest competition, as we trended-upward all season long, culminating it all by shocking most onlookers with our stellar performance in our conference tourney, on top of beating OSU/UO in concluding our regular season, and winning 4 of 5 in total headed into our off-season! Especially remarkable, considering we started the season, in Year 1 of rebuilding, with a virtually brand-new roster from top-to-bottom, in addition to losing DF, during our offseason!

KEY-Factor--

Coach LK! See JW's 180, for instance!

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    June 30, 2013 7:49 p.m.

I'm sure he will do well and start for the U!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    June 30, 2013 7:32 p.m.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    June 30, 2013 3:25 a.m.

007--

"AZUTE1-
    I don't think you should be so confident in Krysko's teams or Utah basketball until they can actually beat all the Big Sky teams they have on their schedule."

Clever! In all seriousness, I don't believe I've ever laughed so hard in my entire lifetime, ever! Here I thought only somebody like Frank Caliendo moves me to this extent! Hysterical! Stand-up comedian? Impressive routine!

Losing focus/becoming lazy when having a double-digit lead deep into 2nd-half in Game 1 of regular season with virtually brand-new roster in fluke-loss, is something I chalk up as a learning experience/one of those oddities which bite most teams across-the-nation at one point or another and is an extremely rare-/freak-occurance, yet otherwise 100% unimportant/irrelevant/unremarkable, particularly when we're in Year 1 of rebuilding without expectation of making Tourney nor having need to protect our RPI, as a result. Again, Game 1 with a made-over roster with tons of inexperience. Yawn.

On the contrary, to get destroyed at home late in the season by USF/go winless in the conference tourney [USD x 2], etc., blowing Tourney opportunity--Utterly shameful!

• 007 Layton, UT
    June 29, 2013 11:53 p.m.

AZUTE1-

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    June 29, 2013 10:39 p.m.

Sports Are Great

"Walk on. No walk on. Ducky's point still applies, the guy is still on the team. Apparently being in the PAC 12 doesn't mean as much as utes tell us, if you are still scrapping together nobodies to fill a roster."

Clearly, you people don't follow UTAH Basketball recruiting closely, IF at all, to erroneously conclude UTAH hasn't generally already long ago concluded their class for this year!

Van Brocklin is a win-win scenario for U Basketball and hurts absolutely nothing, whatsoever, but rather has only the potential for benefit/upside!

You people need to accept the FACT that U Basketball is headed in a palpable upward-trajectory under Coach LK's stewardship, no matter the amount of wishful thinking emanating from down there in utah county, home of never done anything of note in The Tourney, excepting solely Fluke '81/Ainge, and national leader in Tourney appearances without ever reaching The Final Four, Ever--

2-Star byu!

• Duckhunter "fan" Centerville, UT
    June 29, 2013 7:54 p.m.

I see that my favorite Deseret News poster has nothing better to do than read articles about Utah walk ons. It is 105 degrees outside, so I guess there is nothing better to do.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    June 29, 2013 2:35 p.m.

Once again DH, your point is undermined by the fact that the only "nerve" that is pinched is your own constant obsession with everything related to Utah. Expand your horizons a little.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 29, 2013 10:24 a.m.

I pinched a utah "fan" nerve, love it.

My point is solid, getting no star on offer walkons is not what utah "fans" have been telling us is going to be utah's future. They way utah "fans" talk they should be getting 4 star walkons with offers from half the ACC. Looks like that is not what utah is.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    June 29, 2013 10:15 a.m.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 28, 2013 11:14 p.m.

Apparently not all DesNews readers know what a "walk-on" is. How embarrassing.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2013 9:35 p.m.

I love what Coach K is doing with the Ute program...the future is indeed looking bright!

Go Utes!!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 28, 2013 8:28 p.m.

Duck, you're not seeing any offer from Utah, either. He's a walk on. He's also a local. So it's news in Utah. Let me know if you need any more help with comprehension.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 28, 2013 6:58 p.m.

I'm not seeing any stars or any other offers, none. This isn't what christina, howie, naval, etc. have been telling us is going to happen.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2013 2:08 p.m.

Welcome aboard!

Go Utes!

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    June 28, 2013 1:44 p.m.

Nice pick up for the Utes!!!
    Question how many stars are before his name and how many other "BCS" schools did he turn down to basically walk on the Utes team since he was not offered a scholarship but has to earn it later?