Utah

4 women killed in I-70 rollover

Comments

• RBTJR PLATTSBURGH, NY
    June 23, 2013 3:21 p.m.

How sad. Why do people resist wearing seat belts? Recently, a friend, driving with his wife, lost control of his SUV, went airborne over a steep drop, and rolled several times,ending upside down in a small creek. During the rollover, several items flew out of the vehicle, including his wife's glasses, one of her shoes, a cell phone, etc. They were both wearing their seat belts, and ended up being badly bruised. Otherwise, sadly, they would most likely have ended up like these poor women. It's not rocket science. Wearing seat belts can save lives.
    My heart goes out to everyone involved in this tragedy!

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    June 23, 2013 11:42 a.m.

My sincere condolences to the Vasquez family.

• DesertBrat60 Indio, CA
    June 23, 2013 9:45 a.m.

A great but yet another SAD reminder of the benefits of wearing seat belts at all times. I pray that the driver doesn't carry the guilt of that. All the ladies were adults & made their own decisions as to not wear a safety belt.
    >Morgan: Makes a valued comment also about tire safety! Prayers for all involved, even the officers at the scene.

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    June 23, 2013 1:01 a.m.

Notice I believe the left rear tire. Besides the sleep issue I would bet that tire was under inflated. In sliding it pulled off the rim and when the rim hit the pavement it dug in and over went the car. Seat belts, tires not inflated properly and sleeping. Sorry for the family though.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2013 11:25 p.m.

Drowsy driving is a risk no one is exempt from. We're all human and we all face fatigue. Most of us don't "all the sudden" get tired within 5 minutes, but our bodies slow down over time. Caution and planning are best.

I feel for those lost, those who have lost, and this Mr. Vasquez who is probably more guilt ridden than I can possibly understand right now. I hope all can heal, push forward and be strong.

It's times like this that self-driving cars seem more and more appealing.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    June 22, 2013 11:15 p.m.

Tragic. This is what happens when you don't wear a seat belt. I can't imagine what the driver is going through.

• Chris from Rose Park Hartford, CT
    June 22, 2013 10:27 p.m.

Condolences to the families. May God comfort and bless them at this time of tragedy.