Faith

LDS missionary killed in electrical accident in Guatemala

Comments

• LordPillsbury Mcminnville, OR
    June 27, 2013 2:48 p.m.

I feel very saddened by this news. I can't help but to thank him for his selfless service in which he died in the service of his fellowman, which is to also say, he died in the service of his God. May his family find comfort in the knowledge that families are forever!

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    June 26, 2013 8:14 a.m.

I can't think of a more honorable way to leave this life than in the service of our Heavenly Father. What a great loss yet what a superb example of what we can all be if we would just choose that.

• theidma New York City, NY
    June 25, 2013 6:43 p.m.

I was just being self absorbed, and thinking about ME, and then I stumbled on this story. How humbling! May the Redeemer of Israel send comfort and peace to this young man's family and friends. Reminds us once again how short our mortal journey is, and how it can all end in an instance. May we have the strength to choose the right and be prepared for when our journey ends... So grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ which enables all to be resurrected. I'm sure Elder Taufa heard the great words "well and faithfully done, enter into my joy and sit down on my throne."

• midvale guy MIDVALE, UT
    June 24, 2013 5:28 p.m.

John 12:25-26 (NIV) "The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me."

• Maureen Fepuleai New Zealand, 00
    June 24, 2013 2:35 a.m.

Kalofae.....

Sending much alofas to Elder Taufa's aiga and friends. **HUGS**

Alofa tele atu from our tribe here in New Zealand.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    June 23, 2013 6:42 p.m.

This is very said. I would like to extend condolensces to Elder taufa's family.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2013 4:20 p.m.

When my son was on his mission he performed many such acts. My heart aches for this man's family. We must share the pain.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    June 22, 2013 7:13 p.m.

What a beautiful young man. My prayers go with his poor family.

• kiwi111 Auckland, New Zealand, 00
    June 22, 2013 4:00 p.m.

I echo the sentiments of CB. I have eard many a parent, particularly our Polynesian parents, when saying farewell to their missionary children, offer the care and keeping of their children's lives to the Lord for 18 months-2 years, while looking forward to their safe return at the end of that period, God-willing. I have always marvelled at their faith, devotion and offering. I may think it in my heart, but have always considered it too difficult to make that offering in public. My heart goes out to the Taufa family. May God's choicest blessings of peace & comfort be with them at this very sad time. ofa lahi atu!

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2013 12:31 p.m.

We sent three sons and a daughter on missions. I realized while saying goodby and sending them
    off that I might never see them again, in the flesh.
    He could have just as easily been killed speeding around the streets, involved in drugs or shot because he was involved in a gang.
    He has lived a life to be celebrated and now is safely continuing his missionary efforts in another place with people who will embrace him with the same love he has known here.
    God less this family whose void will be ever so deep, but not from the sorrow of a loss soul.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    June 22, 2013 8:53 a.m.

Some wonderful thoughts by others. I echo what they have said, and hope that the family will be blessed with peace and comfort.

• Abbygirl East Carbon, UT
    June 22, 2013 7:52 a.m.

So sorry this happened to such a wonderful young man.. he looks like he was a very happy individual from his picture.. he is on a far better mission now on the other side!

• Shushannah Kendal, Cumbria
    June 22, 2013 7:12 a.m.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of this selfless young man, at this sad time. Brother and Sister Taufa can find comfort, knowing they raised a beloved son in whom they can be 'well pleased'.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2013 10:39 p.m.

To the family and loved ones of this young missionary, I am sorry for your loss.

The pain of loss, in time, will be replaced by joy in eternity when families and loved ones are reunited. I guess the Lord has a need for this missionary in another field. I believe that what the Lord told Joseph Smith applies to us all, "Thy days are known and they shall not be numbered less". After this life when we have the perspective of hind sight, many things that may not make sense now, will then.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    June 21, 2013 9:42 p.m.

I struggle to try to find a way to adequately honor this young man who died in the service of his fellow man and to find a way to comfort family and friends who will always have sweet memories of him but will miss being able to build more memories with him in this life.

I take comfort knowing that He who can bestow the greatest honor and provide the deepest comfort is aware of this young man and his sacrifice.

Also, I for one will think of this young man the next time an opportunity to serve seems too inconvenient and will serve with the thought of him in my mind and my heart.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    June 21, 2013 9:21 p.m.

A very sad time. But what appears to be a very selfless young man.

God Bless all those who knew and will will miss him, especially his family.

• MAYHEM MIKE Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2013 7:46 p.m.

As parents of seven, four of whom have served missions, we extend our deepest condolences to your family and know that your son has been embraced by the Savior and those of his loved ones who have preceded him through the Veil.

• Kitenoa Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2013 7:29 p.m.

Our condolences goes out to the Taufa family. 'Ofa atu.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2013 7:25 p.m.

Killed while literally in the service of his fellow beings.

Heartbreaking for his family I know, but what a way to go.

God bless him!

• linda.bodily@gmail.com Ammon, ID
    June 21, 2013 6:38 p.m.

Our hearts go out to this family. I pray that the Lord will bless you all with peace and comfort, and wrap his loving arms around you at this time, and in the future as you struggle for understanding.

With much love,