Sports

Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv, not the other way around

Comments

• David in CA Livermore, CA
    June 21, 2013 8:01 p.m.

To: "Mighty Mouse"

The BYU-TV channel is available over the air Free in Salt Lake City on channel 11.2

If you can get KBYU(11) on 11.1 you can also get 11.2. That's part of the new Digital TV
    that began in June of 2009. Most of the TV channels have multiple extra channels nowadays
    because that was part of the conversion from the old analog TV to the newer Digital TV.
    The Salt Lake Valley area should get 11.1 and 11.2 if one can get any over the air channels.
    Provo is another challenge because of the hill that Orem is on. Only with a real good antenna
    in Provo maybe. Cable and/or satellite is best there for TV and of course the internet and the apps.

Adding to my previous post: "Story Trek" is a good program and others too, as are many of the older movies. AND of course a University, like BYU, should have its Sports on ITS TV channel.

And agreed, Much of regular Network TV is trash, nowadays. But we miss the unique LDS Gospel
    programs. Last year no Pioneer Day Parade on BYU-TV. This Year??

• DC Alexandria, VA
    June 21, 2013 4:28 p.m.

Except that without BYU football and basketball, no one would really care about byutv, until conference weekend comes around. You won't gain fans of byutv by ignoring the reason fans want to embrace byutv.

• Mighty Mouse Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 21, 2013 1:04 p.m.

My family and I love BYUtv. The kids love Studio C. My wife loves the Food Nanny and Chef Brad. I like American Ride, Turning Point, The Song that Changed My Life and Sound Tracks. The whole family watches Granite Flats and the family oriented movies. When are we going to be able to pick it up over broadcast in the Salt Lake area so we can dump cable?

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    June 20, 2013 10:38 p.m.

BYU TV might have all the fancy tech, but BYU football broadcasts are terrible.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2013 4:11 p.m.

Striker,
    Just so you know, it is not supposed to be good acting. That's what makes it so funny, the worse acting the better it is.
    You totally missed the mark on this one.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    June 20, 2013 3:55 p.m.

I love to use BYUtv for re-watching of the 54-10 game.

• Lermentov PROVO, UT
    June 20, 2013 3:34 p.m.

The production values of Granite Flats are pretty good. I think its weakest point is the editing. It could be much more succinct. I find my mind wandering on sections of it.

• Nikolas Sabaan Surfers Paradise, AU
    June 20, 2013 12:57 p.m.

I wish DirecTv would broadcast the HD version of BYUtv. That's the only thing i'm missing.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2013 12:35 p.m.

@LifeLibertyHappiness: I am old enough to remember the early days of ESPN, and you are dead on. Remember Australian Rules Football?

I was skeptical about Studio C when it came on. I watched one episode that had a funny first skit and then went down after that. But my kids love it, and have gotten me to see several other sketches on the Internet that are quite funny--and I sometimes have to tell my kids to quit quoting Studio C and go to sleep! So I guess it just took them a bit to warm up.

As for other programming, I do think there are shows that are worthwhile, as far as TV programming goes. I just happened to find better things to do with my time than watch most TV quite a number of years back. I will still watch a fair amount of the sports, however.

• SkookumDon Tacoma, WA
    June 20, 2013 11:56 a.m.

I've seen episodes of Studio "C" and Granite Flats. Believe me, BYUTV would have been better off advertising more of the sports icons on their Truck.

• Wally Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 20, 2013 9:47 a.m.

I am surprised that you folks have not mentioned "Sue Thomas FBEye", and "Doc." Record them on their daytime showing and enjoy. They are both really good, clean, clever, and quite touching in many ways. Even some gentle spiritual moments. Made by Canadian producers a few years back. Trust me, they are great family fare. Story Trek and American Ride are just "one of a kind" productions by BYUTV. Very few ads on BYUTV and they are always tasteful. This Channel is our main reason for subscribing to cable. Have you ever watched BYU Volleyball? I love Football and Basketball, but volleyball is more exciting.

• Hondo Scottsdale, AZ
    June 20, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Put on a show that features Roscoe and I'm tuning in. I want to know what he eats. I want to know if he has a special blanket that he sleeps with. I want to know what his faorite flavor is at the Creamery. I want to know if he leaves his socks on when he showers. I want to know how he dreams up his special slogans. We must have this program, STAT!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    June 20, 2013 6:24 a.m.

I get that there are other priorities for BYUtv other than sports, but I'd still like to see BYUtv broadcast a couple of other sporting events - most notably the BYU Spring football scrimmage.

The station does a pretty good job covering football and men's basketball when the games aren't on ESPN, but it would be nice to see a couple of other sporting events when there are key match-ups with women's basketball, soccer and baseball.

But overall, the programming on BYUtv is a nice, occasional change from regular network programming.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    June 20, 2013 12:16 a.m.

@Howard...

That was probably the worst effort I have seen from a Utah troll to take a shot at BYU... Surely you can do better than that...

In answer to you smartalec question... No, BYUtv was not designed to be a lure to gain a Big 12 invite... In fact,in the end it appears to have been a problem for us in getting an invitation... Rumor is that they didn't want us rebroadcasting the games on BYUtv... A sticking point for the Board of Trustees apparently...

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    June 20, 2013 12:08 a.m.

My family watches BYU TV more than any other station on the satelite... But I personally couldn't give a rip about BYUtv if it didn't include ougar Sports... Although I do enjoy watching Conference from home too.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2013 11:25 p.m.

I enjoy the whole expanse of programs on BYUTV. RunnerGuy50 is missing the programming because I watched Rugby, the Volleyball championships, Soccer Games, a lacrosse game, Softball, Baseball and Football games this year in all the seasons.
    Granite Flats was very engaging, American Ride is great, StoryTrek is fascinating and it's all clean. I really enjoyed the Bible translator story.
    Last night I was watching Jay Leno. His guest was a female comedian. She repeatedly was off color, crude, rude and disgusting. And she kept saying, "you should see my show, I'm a lot more filthy on that. This isn't crude, I am a lot more filthy in my show." I turned her off. I'm sure Leno's ratings were raised by the desire of so many wanting her to be filthy on "professional TV." If you don't like BYUTV...maybe you support what used to be called crude, rude and filthy trash. Time for all of us to decide where we are headed.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    June 19, 2013 10:54 p.m.

If you ever get a chance, try to get a tour of the BYUtv facilities across from the Marriott Center on BYU campus. The word "amazing" doesn't even begin to tell the story of what is in that building, how it came to be, and the vision and mission of it for the Church. Very, very professional. We went through the whole building the first year it opened, and it has had a lasting impression on me of excellence. This building was paid with private donors.

• LifeLibertyHappiness Draper, UT
    June 19, 2013 10:25 p.m.

As with anything new, it will take awhile until the programming is at a consistently high level. There are some great shows. Agree with everyone about American Ride. One of my favorite shows of all time. Love the history and the way it's explained. I want a job riding a Harley around the country educating Americans about their own history.

There are several other good programs and some that aren't so good as other have noted. Give it time. With the talented people on board, it will get there.

Many people don't remember how cheesy ESPN was when it started and now it's the sports broadcasting standard. No one would have thought there would be ESPN2, ESNU, ESPN3. That's after 30 years of hard work. BYUtv will be great.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2013 10:13 p.m.

BYUTV is great. I watch Granite Flats and Studio C all the time. History Trek is pretty cool too. And of course BYU Sports. I love it all.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 19, 2013 10:10 p.m.

So Granite Flats made it to the HD truck mural. Hmmm, that must mean the cat's out of the bag and that they are renewing it for another season. I'm glad, I enjoyed the show.

I'm also glad that a BYUtv article invokes the hatred of some Ute fans.

Classic frantic, emotional, priceless and predicted. LOL

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    June 19, 2013 9:48 p.m.

Wasn't the HD truck the hook that was going to secure the Cougars an invite from the Big12?

• Beaver Native Garland, UT
    June 19, 2013 9:31 p.m.

I appreciate BYUTV because it provides a station I can watch without being exposed to crude language and themes. Those who like crudity have plenty of choices in programming, but there are few programs, even on the so-called family stations that meet my standards, and here in Utah you can get it using an antenna for free!

• higv Dietrich, ID
    June 19, 2013 8:59 p.m.

I do like to record Apostles funerals on BYUTV. Sometimes see them come on at 2 in the morning and record them than. Easier than figuring out what show they pre empted. That and Genderal conference to record. Now even people in the East coast have the ability to watch Conference in there lounge around the house clothes. Wind at my Back and several classic movies are good. As well as are some LDS cinema they put on. And don't forget sports. I don't follow much besides football and basketball myself.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    June 19, 2013 8:54 p.m.

When BYUIDAHO was Ricks the official station KRIC broadcast Ricks games. I worked for the Student lab station before. It was KWBH. Of course devotionals, NPR, Classical music probably would not generate much fan interest. I listened for ball games and devotionals.

The school having it's own radio station helped with broadcast rights. BYUTV does a few BYUH games and I am sure will BYUI games if intercollegiate athletics comes back. Good station. Even better than KBYU for those that get KBYU.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    June 19, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Honestly, I can't stand Studio C. I can't even make it through an episode. The acting is so horrific. The kids on that meteor show are better actors. Those BYU skit actors were bad on the stage at BYU and still bad today. Sorry, but I can't watch that show.

• ? SLC, UT
    June 19, 2013 8:29 p.m.

There isn't much I'm interested in watching these days either. Other times when there is something I might be interested in, the satelite signal gives out.

BYU TV is shown in many places, not just in Utah. For some the only access they may have to BYU TV is the internet. It was certainly helpful while living overseas where we only had one English channel. This at least gave us two.

Not everyone is a BYU sports fan. It's ok to show some sporting events for those who enjoy them, but BYU TV is not a local college/university ESPN type station. The origial series programs they are coming out with aren't bad. Movies people are making with church history events, themes or documenteries are pretty good. Art shows, musical performances, church talks, as well as, sports all give a little variety to offer a little something that hopefully most folks will enjoy the channel.

I agree that running banners across the bottom of the screen during firesides or the like isn't a good idea. Please keep advertising for other shows in between programs.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    June 19, 2013 8:00 p.m.

I find it sad that BYUtv no longer shows rugby, lacrosse or soccer. I find it more then ironic that BYUtv stopped showing these sports after the deal with espn. Did espn get BYU to stop showing any sporting event that espn viewed as competition ?
    There was a huge outcry for the Varity Cup rugby championship to be shown. BYUtv would not show it.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    June 19, 2013 7:29 p.m.

I graduated from BYU in 1965. I never miss studio C, I love Granite Flats, I like the bike ridding history guy and the door to door life story show. BYU TV is off to a great start. I am sure that Obama would not like the clever and clean programing, but many do/would. TV was once filled with clean programing. Going into the sewer as the whole country is doing takes no talent. BYU is fine. Love it our watch something foul and profane. I happen to think it is great.

• David in CA Livermore, CA
    June 19, 2013 7:14 p.m.

In the last few years BYU-TV has drifted greatly from its original direction of being a display of the LDS beliefs and culture. The first 10 years of "Keeping You Connected" was much more LDS "Gospel" orientated.

We have not seen "The District" since the launch of "Granite Flats". "Granite Flats" is a good program, but it seems to have taken too much "Center Stage" on the BYU-TV and it's promotions. I found it offensive that the last CES Fireside had a scroll running under the picture to promote "Granite Flats" coming on after the Fireside. That scroll actually nearly covered the lyrics of the Hymns of the Fireside!!

I hope this year's "Pioneer Day Parade" will be available for our viewing. Those of us who live outside of Utah depend on BYU-TV for things like that.

Most of the newer BYU programming is good, but comes at the expense of the more "LDS "Gospel" programming of Past Years!!

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2013 6:03 p.m.

Our HD truck is the envy of the industry. Even our broadcast partner is impressed with it.

• ? SLC, UT
    June 19, 2013 5:14 p.m.

Everyone's tastes are different. Sports are great, but I've never watched BYU TV for it. The Story Trek and Granite Flats have both been interesting. Studio C had been kind of fun, though others may disagree. Audio-files and The Song That Changed My Life are good. I've enjoyed the scripture discussions and any other church related programs, documentaries, conference and devotional talks.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    June 19, 2013 4:59 p.m.

MacNasty - Good call on American Ride -- Ellsworth puts on a quality show.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    June 19, 2013 4:52 p.m.

I forgot, I do like American Ride. I did hear good things about The District. But nothing I would set my DVR for and nothing I would plan my night around. But to be fair, there really isn't anything on TV right now that I would plan my life around. The "Must see tv" of NBC on Thursday night has long been gone. I stick by my statement, without sports, BYUtv is still an afterthought in most people's minds and I bet the ratings prove I'm right.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    June 19, 2013 4:37 p.m.

Hey,

Don't forget American Ride. Its one of the best American history programs ever! Stan shows us not only the significant events in history, but the why they occurred.

The History Channel could learn a lot from American Ride

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    June 19, 2013 4:28 p.m.

Other than General Conference, Music and the Spoken Word, and BYU sports, BYUtv is dreadful.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    June 19, 2013 4:21 p.m.

I love American ride, but I'm also a history buff. My kids also love studio C but it's not my favorite. My wife enjoys granite flats but I haven't watched it. BYU sports on BYUtv is impressive though. The graphics and production are right up there with the best in the biz.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    June 19, 2013 3:16 p.m.

Sure, Zero10, I'll tell you of other programs: Our kids love Granit Flats. I like the MoTabCo broadcasts, I like the General Conference broadcasts and replays. We all love the exceptionally well produced The District. And as for Studio C, your comment could be superimposed over comments about SNL -- that's in your mind. I've seen some rather brilliant sketches there, but, I'm not the audience. My teenage grandkids in Texas and their friends love it. And they have some very good movies they show (Night Crossing, Best Two Years and many others) as well as stuff I can't stomach (Dean Jones Disney fare), but kids enjoy them. So, suck it up and forego the entertainment that is crass, goes for the easy foul-language or gutter laughs. BYUtv is a very good network and getting better all of the time.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    June 19, 2013 2:57 p.m.

So, can someone tell me when they watch BYUtv beside watching sports? I love BYUtv for the fact I can watch sports, but the rest of the programing is flat. I tried watching Studio C and it felt like I was watching a roadshow. Without BYU sports, BYUtv would be just another public tv station with fancy equipment.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2013 2:09 p.m.

Well done BYU. It is great to be able to see the programming in HD, including almost every sports event. I love BYU TV. it seems that a Big 12 schools is also impressed and want someting that BYU has.

Now let's wait to see how Chris B turns this totally upbeat and positive article into BYU bashing.

• Zoniezoobie American Fork, UT
    June 19, 2013 1:31 p.m.

Great article. BYUtv does a great job at neutrality with Cougar sporting events. They always make sure to add similar insight stories about opposing teams and players.

The best comment on the blog was the invitation to join the Big 12, or at least one Baylor fan's wish for that: 'Also impressed w/ BYUtv. Really wish they could find a way to work BYU into the Big 12."