Amy Adams, Glenn Beck present different takes on Mormon doctrine

• gwest Melfa, VA
    June 27, 2013 8:33 a.m.

In the Book of Mormon, there is the symbol of the "great and spacious building" in Lehi's dream. The people in that edifice represent the worldly who mock those who try to hold fast to the path that leads to the tree of life. Some people endure the mocking and ridicule while others can't withstand the social pressures and lose their way. Glenn Beck and Amy Adams represent two people on the path and how they respond to the mocking world around them. Glenn Beck stands defiant and endures the ridicule with faith and determination. Amy Adams desperately wants the approval of those in that building. She feels conflicted by her conscience because she struggles between the reward of having God's approval and that of the worldly. Her conscience still bothers her, which is a good sign. No latter-day saint who lives his or her religion will go without the derision of the worldly society around them. Ultimately, the outcome of our lives is determined by how we respond to this pressure to give up on the quest for exaltation.

• snowman Provo, UT
    June 25, 2013 7:51 p.m.

Brahmabull: I most certainly did grow up in Utah in the 50's

• Max Charlotte, NC
    June 22, 2013 5:37 a.m.

Father of Four,

If you want the "LDS Viewpoint on things" listen to General Conference. Glenn Beck is not a church representative and does not speak for the body of the church on anything. Neither do I, neither does anybody posting here.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    June 21, 2013 7:46 p.m.

Here is a tidbit of calamities in last days found in Joseph Smith the Prophets book of Doctrine and Covenants written back in 1832 when Joseph Smith was 27 years old... "...the waves of the sea heaving themselves beyond their bounds"

I had never heard of this happening in history, so when I read it 40 years ago, I just thought that it was some event in the future... not so now.

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2013 10:59 a.m.

per patriot

Glenn Beck is as Libertarian as an Egg salad sandwich.

"As far as the female ex-Mormon actress... "

Per Ms Adams, *Adams said her religious upbringing "... instilled in me a value system I still hold true. The basic 'Do unto others...', that was what was hammered into me. And love.*

• elarue NEW YORK, NY
    June 21, 2013 10:46 a.m.

Let's see here...Amy Adams, the ex-Mormon, makes a positive impression on the church, while Glenn Beck, the active Mormon, makes the church look like a bunch of right wing crazies.

What can we learn from this, boys and girls?

Conservativism is bad for you!

We would be better off as a church, and we would probably have an easier time sharing the gospel and having people accept it with joy in their hearts, if we would denounce conservativism in all its vicious forms.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 20, 2013 3:56 p.m.

Glenn gets a bit extreme sometimes I have to admit but I suspect Laman and Lemuel would say the same thing about Nephi. One thing is for certain - Beck is respected throughout the Christian and Jewish community. There are loads of pastors and Rabbi's that Glenn often talks with on talk radio and I think he is someone that is more of a national or even global personality whom is seen as a libertarian / Christian who also has no problem talking openly with atheists. Of course the far left HATES Beck with a passion which all started when he exposed Obama cabinet CZAR Van Jones as being a Communist. Jones promptly resigned.

As far as the female ex-Mormon actress... ah I don't know. I guess there might be some open mindedness from her stand point toward the Church but I doubt her Hollywood values mesh too well with the Miracle Of Forgiveness.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    June 20, 2013 2:55 p.m.

Love Amy Adams as an actress. Can't stand Beck, and I'm a pretty right-wing guy otherwise.
    Does this mean I'm an apostate or something ? :)

• DUPDaze Bakersfield, CA
    June 20, 2013 12:27 p.m.

I love any time a Mormon issue or person hits the news cycle. It gives me opportunity to showcase the vast differences in individual LDS perspectives and contrast their modern theology.

In my evangelical church circles it IS the topic d'jour. They never tire of pointing to the inconsistencies and non-biblical teachings... But 100% will add how impressive the ethics and family emphasis are.

If a Muslim is present during this topic, they will invariably point out the positive similarities between them and LDS. Most of my Islamic friends do not like or understand Glenn, but they admire his ingenuity and passion. In a world religion class I teach, one student replied that Mormons don't have anything like the Taliban. To which a scholarly Muslim replied, "their Danites just operated under the radar. Ours don't hide!"

Ahh, the joys of comparitive religions.

• DUPDaze Bakersfield, CA
    June 20, 2013 12:12 p.m.

All hail free speech. What a crack-up this whole issue is. Thanks for making me get my Depends.

Mormons don't agree with each other on everything. Who does? They don't agree with their own founder's original doctrines, he'd be sitting with Mr. Jeffs if he were leading today. To the 50's/60's Mormon point, we all loved Skousen, McKonkie, Nibley, David O. McKay. THAT was Mormon culture and thinking: from southern Calif to Utah, if you were in seminary or BYU.

I only take the DN to keep up with the ever-changing world of Mormonism. Thanks for another igniting article, Joe. You know the hot-buttons.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2013 11:45 a.m.

The way some comments practically treat Beck like he's a Prophet go a long way to explaining why Utah is #1 for Ponzi schemes.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    June 20, 2013 9:41 a.m.

Amy Adams is probably my favorite actress - but she seems to have both feet in Babylon. A good sign is that she has pushed her little toe into Zion which may be a direction.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    June 20, 2013 9:25 a.m.

re: Craig Clark 9:13 a.m. June 19

"Many former members harbor ill will toward the Church and brood over it for years. If only they, like Amy, would remember the positive."

It took me a few yrs to put aside the animosity. That said, former members should just take a pollyanna approach to the past? Really? Then, why even leave the church?

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2013 9:14 a.m.

to BYUalum on June 19

"Time will eventually tell if Glenn Beck is right."

Such as investing in Gold?

Why does GB remind of the boy cried wolf. or, is GB the wolf in sheeps clothing?

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2013 9:11 a.m.

As I understand, Ms Adams no longer practices.

re: FatherOfFour & Naval Vet on 6/18 (page 1 of comments)

Its scary if someone like Glenny is the best representative for your average Mormon.

• Abbygirl East Carbon, UT
    June 20, 2013 7:44 a.m.

Anyone that does not believe we are in the end times is sadly mistaken, but are free to believe anything they choose. I personally am a Glenn Beck fan and he has taught me many things that the school systems never did and I am 60. Why has our history for example been systematically erased... the liberal progressive that is why! Every school is under attack because of Common Core and it seems a lot of people in Utah are asleep.. they are nothing more than the dumbing down of America's children! I feel very sad for Amy, as she is losing her way because of Hollywood! I know how that is.. I to fell away in in my younger years.. but luckily I returned and found my way back.. I hope for that for Amy! Glenn Beck a fear monger...not hardly.. if anything he is a messenger warning us of what is to come and it my friends is coming! All the signs are there! As far as I am concerned he is one of the few giving us the real news.. I don't believe anything from mainstream media!

June 20, 2013 7:37 a.m.

The gloom for me is reading the comments following articles like this. It's like, what group has sicced its members on the Deseret News website to spread disinformation about the Church and slander its members?

• MrNirom1 Clatskanie, OR
    June 19, 2013 11:18 p.m.

LOL I swear.. I was commenting on what Glenn Beck was talking about.. End of Days.. destruction coming.. etc.. just like Lehi was warning that Jerusalem was going to be destroyed. And you want to compare the difference on how they support their families? Really? Glenn Beck has become more than just an entertainer. Seriously.. if you can't see that then you have your eyes wide shut.

But hey brother.. we can look at anything.. any ole way we want to. One thing that I do like about Glenn Beck.. he does NOT check his religion at the door to the studio. He brings it out when necessary!

• JonathanPDX Portland, Oregon
    June 19, 2013 10:42 p.m.

Celebrities. It's odd how so many seem to hang on their every word. But they're just people. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, it much more important that we listen to the words of our Prophet who is called of God about our future than anyone elevated by men.

And regardless of the trials and tribulations ahead of us, we should have a joyful spirit knowing that the Plan of Salvation is moving forward as it should.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 19, 2013 8:07 p.m.

"Glenn Beck does nothing different than Lehi did in Jerusalem.."

Ummm.... Lehi did not do it as a way to pad his bank account. He didn't charge a membership fee to hear him. He did not charge for his services, or take a speaking fee at events.

There is a whole lot different between Beck and Lehi, or anyone else proclaimed the gospel. Beck is an entertainer who does what he does to make money. The commercialization of the gospel should be offensive to any good Christian.

I am surprised anyone went there....Have we really so confused capitalism with the gospel? Nothing wrong with capitalism, but there should be a pretty clear line between proclaiming the gospel, and turning the gospel into entertainment to be sold.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    June 19, 2013 7:42 p.m.

Time will eventually tell if Glenn Beck is right. Now many of the things he predicted a year ago are true today. Take your pick of the subject matter. People ridiculed him then and even when things have proven true today, some still blast him. For myself, I think he is very sincere. He researches what people in government say and broadcasts it back in a telecast of them repeating their own words. He stands for something good, Freedom and Liberty, and puts his money where his mouth is. Most people just idly by with their tongue wagging away on blog posts and never get up and do something to help save this country. Glenn Beck does, and I say, "Thank you Glenn Beck!"

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    June 19, 2013 7:16 p.m.

Glenn Beck has it right; tough times are ahead. You'd have to be blind not to see it. Evil is rampant and those who commit sin now actively and aggressively claim that their sin is not "bad" but truly is "good" while likewise claiming that honorable and virtuous traits and acts are literally stupid. They have little, if any, guilt of committing ANYTHING.

Before any LDS member freaks out, you'd better go back and watch Pres. Hinckey's 2004 (2005?) General Conference address in the Priesthood session.

He said the same thing....."get your home" (family) in order.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    June 19, 2013 7:07 p.m.

In a way, Amy Adams and Glenn Beck illustrate the perfect dichotomy between a lifelong, cultural Mormon and a devoted convert: it's likely that Amy Adams never properly understood the Gospel, particularly the Atonement, and her description of the Church in the way she does illustrates that quite well. Glenn Beck, on the other hand, had to study and pray and learn dutifully in order to acquire a testimony—and the results could not contrast more strongly. Life-long members are definitely disadvantaged in the Church by the culture that exists within it. It's sad, really, that Amy Adams chose to self-destruct rather than experience the joys of repentance.

• MrNirom1 Clatskanie, OR
    June 19, 2013 4:23 p.m.

Nobody should be ashamed of what they have become. It is God who does the final judgement anyway. And remember this one thing.. That when Joseph saw the inhabitants of the Telestial Kingdom.. he said and I quote: But behold, and lo, we saw the glory and the inhabitants of the telestial world, that they were as innumerable as the stars in the firmament of heaven, or as the sand upon the seashore;

There will be many who are there. At least they can say they are in a Kingdom of Glory of God. For remember.. Joseph also warned there would be some who would be in a kingdom of God which has no Glory.

Righteous judgment is God's Final Judgment. We can only warn our neighbor.. we can't make them listen.

• chosha BEVERLY HILLS, CA
    June 19, 2013 4:07 p.m.

"Neither is an official spokesperson for the Church. Who cares what they say with regard to the Church?"

Amy Adams clearly was not attempting to speak for the Church. She made it clear she is not Mormon and was only raised in the Church until she was 11. I can't believe there are people here saying she should be 'shamed at who she's become.' Talk about judgemental. As far as I can see she's a bright and talented young woman who's made great choices in her career.

• MrNirom1 Clatskanie, OR
    June 19, 2013 3:46 p.m.

Glenn Beck does nothing different than Lehi did in Jerusalem... Warn the people of what is coming. Because.. it is coming! Some people will be motivated to action based on fear. Hey.. even the Lord has allowed it to be use that way. Just look in D&C 19 where the Lord talks about Eternal Damnation.

5 Wherefore, I revoke not the judgments which I shall pass, but woes shall go forth, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, yea, to those who are found on my left hand.

6 Nevertheless, it is not written that there shall be no end to this torment, but it is written endless torment.

7 Again, it is written eternal damnation; wherefore it is more express than other scriptures, that it might work upon the hearts of the children of men, altogether for my name’s glory.

That it might work upon the hearts of the children of men. Sometimes.. it is the fear of the Lord that motivates some. It is the fear of eternal damnation.. that motivates mankind. There is a place for warning such as these. You know it is not going to be pretty!

• Nanook of the North Phoenix, AZ
    June 19, 2013 2:16 p.m.

Drat, I've got a "NOT" in there that shouldn't be there....

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2013 2:12 p.m.

@play by the rules
    "Glenn does more good for the LDS church in one day meeting with members of divers faiths than most of them will do in a lifetime. Before Glenn Beck came on the scene LDS could not get in front of most evangelicals and we are now welcome with open arms."

Didn't the southern baptists just pass a resolution saying they will work with the LDS church on social issues that also included a sentence or two about how LDS are basically not acceptable Christians? For any good Glenn Beck has done, he's done just as much harm as the second most well-known living LDS member (behind Mitt Romney) to liberal non-mormons who strongly dislike him and his frequent assertions that progressives (seemingly defined by him as pretty much anyone who doesn't subscribe to his views considering how often that label is thrown around) wants to destroy the nation.

• GeoMan SALEM, OR
    June 19, 2013 2:11 p.m.

The doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints indicates that feelings of guilt arise within everyone, because of the Light of Christ with which each of us is born. Religions may teach people to heed those feelings as a guide to our actions. Some secularists may teach people to ignore those feelings for a variety of reasons.

I think common sense dictates which approach makes the most sense, but there seems to be much disagreement about what is common sense these days.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    June 19, 2013 2:10 p.m.

Why are we reading about this two celebrities in the Deseret News?

Because they are both being quoted in National or International media about their individual takes on Mormonism.

I appreciate the Des News for finding these stories and giving them to me. Even if it isn't hard news. Thanks.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    June 19, 2013 1:41 p.m.

I find it nice that Amy Adams credits her sunny disposition to the Church. We are told to be of good cheer and apparently that was ingrained in her.

I'm not a particular fan of Glenn Beck but I don't believe it's fair to call him gloomy. He seems to have a smile on his face most of the time even though his message tends to be pessimistic.

• bored Lindon, UT
    June 19, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Many LDS members share Glenn Beck's view on liberty, but not as much about the doom and gloom. However, there is still wisdom in paying attention to what is being said and do your homework. We are told that the 'end times' are near, and if you believe what the Bible teaches, then we can agree on that in general. But it's a relative thing and not necessarily imminent (the same was taught almost 200 years ago). The point I would make is that we should have a balanced approach to things. Prepare for calamities (there are already plenty), hope for the best, and certainly live your life with a positive outlook. But never become so naive, and live your life as if none of what we are warned about could possibly happen.

• Nanook of the North Phoenix, AZ
    June 19, 2013 12:25 p.m.

Brother Beck doesn't get it. When you pay close attention to the Book of Mormon, and especially if you pay close attention to "the pride cycle", you notice something interesting. Most of the time, when the Nephites got wealthy, they got into pride and collapsed. But there were a couple of times when they got wealthy but DIDN'T immediately collapse; 4 Nephi, of course, and also Alma 62 (see verses 48-49). And those were the times when the wealth was NOT shared among everyone. All the other times, the fall came from inequity of wealth; from "great inequality among the people, some lifting themselves up with their pride, despising others, turning their backs upon the needy and the naked and those who were hungry, and those who were athirst, and those who were sick and afflicted." [Alma 4:12] Beck's followers, sadly, all vote for politicians who are owned by the rich, and used to keep the rich rich and the rest of us struggling. Beck's underlying message is, essentially, the exact opposite of the message of the Book of Mormon.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    June 19, 2013 12:08 p.m.

I find it amusing how many commenters are so worried about 'judging'.

On many stories besides this one, so many are seriously distressed about those they perceive as 'judging'.

I notice this offense at/concern about judging WAY more in Utah than other places I have lived.

What's with this huge concern? Do you who seem so concerned about it and are always pointing it out not realize YOU are judging too??

• BobF2012 kitchener, 00
    June 19, 2013 11:44 a.m.

If Deseret News wanted to present a 'sunny' and 'gloomy' perspective on life with Church doctrine as a foundation, wouldn't it have been possible to find an active, rather than a former, member to present the 'sunny' point of view? And isn't there someone with a pessimistic view besides a gentleman whose very name causes countless eye rolls? Amy Adams may be a fine actress, but since she hasn't been a member of the Church in over 20 years, I'm really not interested in hearing her opinion on the topic. And Glenn Beck, increasingly a conspiracy theorist, may be an active member, but his politics are so bizarre that he can hardly be seen as representative of any significant group within the Church. Surely there are other prominent, active, more reasonable members who could be polled regarding being optimistic or pessimistic.

• pbowers Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 19, 2013 10:57 a.m.

Interesting that those who feel so strongly that someone's comments don't matter seem to feel that their own comments do.

• Charliegirl Huntsville, AL
    June 19, 2013 10:03 a.m.

The beauty of the Church is that we are not all in the same place or having the same experience so our understanding of what the Church means to us gives room for everyone to grow and change and learn at their own pace. So what if people don't see things exactly the same way you do? Having honest and open dialog offers the opportunity to learn about our fellowman and relate to them on commonalities and learn from them on differences.

• Arizonaboy PRESCOTT, AZ
    June 19, 2013 9:52 a.m.

As an active member of the church I am grateful for the teachings in the Bible and Book of Mormon. Each of us has the right to our opinions and for Glenn and Amy they can say what they wish. It is interesting to me that Amy continues her positive look on life as we all should. Our houses should be in order as well. I have listened to Glenn several times and he does speak the truth. Some people need fear in order to prepare or change. How others perceive their messages is an individual understanding. Regardless of what is to come we should all take the view of Amy and be positive, kind, loving, and happy. There is a place for doom and gloom but not on a daily basis. We are here on earth to learn and grow and to be happy in all we do. I am grateful for Amy and her ability to be successful may God bless all of us regardless of our religious view.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    June 19, 2013 9:13 a.m.

As J-TX points out, Amy Adams was an eleven year old child when her family left the Church. But Amy herself recalls fond memories of her early Mormon upbringing. Many former members harbor ill will toward the Church and brood over it for years. If only they, like Amy, would remember the positive.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    June 19, 2013 9:09 a.m.

A Res Novae

I agree with your opinions regarding gold. If I would ever rely on gold to any extent I would wait until the price was much lower, and I look at it in terms of idols of gold and silver that cannot save me. I prefer Glenn's emphasis on a supply of food and so on which he seems to promote as a greater priority.

I do not look to Mr Beck as infallible and neither does he present himself as such. He does emphasize conspiracy, the secret combinations which, so says the Book of Mormon, exist in every nation, and that there will be one master conspiracy in the last days that seeks to destroy the freedom of all nations.

As for the details of that conspiracy I believe in examining the thoughts and beliefs and evidence presented and draw my own conclusions.

• amagnetick AV, CA
    June 19, 2013 9:07 a.m.

I would suggest to all of you out there to exercise your agency. Do or don't listen to what people like those listed in the article say. In the end, it is your own decisions and actions that matter. Why worry and fret about someone you probably don't know has to say about any subject? For me, I follow the the Gospel as presented by our Savior through the scriptures and living Prophets. Do that and you can't go wrong no matter what is happening in the world.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    June 19, 2013 8:58 a.m.

I understand where Glenn Beck can come across as gloom-and-doom. However, if you listen to him more, I think you will find him to be more sober than vigilant than one who merely looks for the worst in the world. I value the work he does and the perspective he adds. I listen to him on occasion because he helps keep me sober and on my toes.

His worldview is informed by his Mormon beliefs, but then again, why should we expect that to be otherwise? Overall, I think he does a pretty good job.

As a clarification, he does advertise for gold, but is very explicit that you need to figure out if an investment in gold works for you. Would you prefer he advertise for the dollar instead?

So does Glenn Beck represent me? No, but before you take that as a slight, let me be clear that nobody on earth represents me. I represent me. I alone am responsible for my own actions.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2013 8:28 a.m.

Good call putting Beck in entrainment with other actor.

• pacnwmom Vancouver, WA
    June 19, 2013 7:56 a.m.

I find Glenn Beck's teachings completely contrary to Jesus Christ's. And prefer to spend my family's time in the latter.
    It's too bad about Amy Adams' family feeling unwelcome in our Church after a divorce. She is a talented and lovely woman.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    June 19, 2013 7:40 a.m.

“It provides a support system if you embrace it, despite all the controlling and guilting aspects of religion that I grew to resent,” Adams said.

She grew to resent them by age 11, so 'she' left the Church as a primary kid?
    I rather think that her parents pulled the family from the Church and instilled these attitudes....

Good for her for remembering that Jesus wants her for a Sunbeam! I enjoy her movies and her sunny disposition.

• jsegovia Lexington, MA
    June 19, 2013 7:34 a.m.

The main point of this article seems to be the church gives former member Amy Adams her "sunny disposition" but it makes current member Glenn Beck unhappy. Is the lesson we should leave the church to enjoy its benefits? Glenn has said at least as many positive things as Amy Adams about how the church brings him joy - why doesn't the article mention that? As for what Glenn says about watching the times and the seasons this is straight out of the New Testament. Glenn never professes to speak for the church; he explicitly states this is his own reading of events. Personally I'm proud to have him as a member of the church (just as I'm proud that Nevada Senator Harry Reid is a member). I honor Glenn's patriotism and his concern for the future of our country, and many of his predictions about world events have turned out to be spot on.

• Res Novae Ashburn, VA
    June 19, 2013 4:24 a.m.

"Glenn gives good advice about putting our own house in order. Our prophets said that before Mr Beck."

Our prophets generally don't follow up immediately by telling us to buy gold at ridiculously inflated prices. Therein lies the difference.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    June 18, 2013 10:47 p.m.

To just say that Glenn Beck is giving advice for an impending calamity would be narrow minded.
    Glenn is multi-faceted in his programs with a balancing of faith , hope and charity from the Book of Mormon all the way to warning people of the calamities that are part of Joseph Smith's Section 1 of the Doctrine and Covenants which specifically warns of calamities in the Last Day's.

• endoftimes ,
    June 18, 2013 10:38 p.m.

Red Corvette

I repent, feel guilty, don't do as I'm told, listen to Glenn and laugh a lot, no one has EVER forced me to pay tithes and do it anyway. I rinse, repeat and listen to Glenn every day.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    June 18, 2013 9:47 p.m.

Members of the LDS Church are not identical nor should they be. Glenn Beck sometimes makes mistakes in doctrine and says things that people, including LDS people, do not like to hear or do not believe personally.

As for a member of a Church called the Church of Jesus Christ of LATTER-DAY Saints, it is not at all strange that he believes we are living in the LATTER DAYS. True people have been saying for years that we are in, or approaching, the "end times" .

What did these people experience that confirmed their belief? The Civil War with the death of 600,000 souls and the misery and maiming of as many or more. They experienced two world wars, that killed tens of millions of mankind, world 'flu pandemic killing 30 millions more, the Dust Bowl and Great Depression, the deaths of tens of millions in the USSR. I could continue.

Glenn gives good advice about putting our own house in order. Our prophets said that before Mr Beck. It is good advice and, as tens or hundreds of millions believe, it is late in the calendar of history.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 18, 2013 8:33 p.m.

I am surprised by the strong feelings here. I personally find Glen Beck theatrics to be distasteful, and his often mocking of others very un tolerable. So I choose not to listen to him. That does not mean that what he has to say is unimportant, and what he says in the name of the church I care deeply about as it indirectly impacts how people view me. In this day and age of grossly over type casting people, this impacts us all. So I care how he portrays me and my family.

What I do like about this story is it shows the diversity of people who claim at least a little portion of our shared faith. It is great to see that even those small things taught to a young lady still resonate with her. Why anyone would be offended by her comments, I know not why. It gives hope that those primary lessons we slave over will have impact, even on those who eventually drift. Good for Amy reaffirming the value of those lessons.

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    June 18, 2013 7:40 p.m.

play by the rules

In my home library, I have 6 books written by Bro. Skousen and 3 by President Benson. I have no interest in spending my money on something written by Glenn Beck. I don't hate Glenn Beck. I just find that what he has to say as well as the way he says it has no value for me.

• midvale guy MIDVALE, UT
    June 18, 2013 5:59 p.m.

Having grown up LDS, I too still have a lot of the things that the church taught me rooted in my behavior. I have since became a Christian and only follow the teachings of the Bible. I still choose not to get tattoos, cremation, drink coffee, and many other things the church warns against. many of these things still feel wrong to me. I don't blame the church or religion for creating guilt. Sin creates guilt in a person that is moral. This is the way of salvation. Glenn Beck makes his living telling everyone else what to believe. Amy Adams is a puppet on a stage. They both have a right to express their religion (or lack of) anyway they would like, we all need to separate the wheat from the chaff. If we don't do it properly, we are the chaff.

• loveless center valley, pa
    June 18, 2013 5:44 p.m.

Hey Bomar, I am sooooooooooooooooooo sick and tired of hearing that we shouldn't judge others!! We judge people every single day and whether you want to believe this or not, you teach and EXPECT your children to judge others as well!! I'm sure that you woudn't want you son to date or heaven forbid marry a woman like Amy Adams who rejects the GAs and teachings of the Church, right? Oh no, we should never judge others unless of course, the judging is for the best of my family and children! Stop it!! Its ok to judge and to judge wisely!

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    June 18, 2013 5:42 p.m.

I like Amy and Glenn; they both seem to be fundamentally good people with views of the world that I can respect, though don't always agree with.

• Bomar Roberts, ID
    June 18, 2013 4:54 p.m.

It's amazing how many of you(too many to mention), are being very judgmental. If you don't like them don't listen to Glenn or read his books, nor go to Amy's movies. The last I knew judging others is something the General Authorities disdain. How would you judging these two like others to put you lives under a microscope?

• gharmons Helendale, CA
    June 18, 2013 4:50 p.m.

If Glenn Beck attributes his gloomy outlook on the future to his LDS membership and the Book of Mormon, that makes me sad—and I am not sure that this is his true view of life. Church leaders and most Mormons are optimistic and happy people. Gloom regarding the near or distant future, also reflected in the Book of Revelation, should not make us gloomy in our personal outlook on life. If the Gospel of Jesus Christ is making one unhappy, the fault is not in the Gospel but in the self.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    June 18, 2013 4:37 p.m.

"....I'm surprised that more LDS members aren't unsettled by the mockery he [Glenn Beck] heaps upon those with different perspective...."

Thou shalt not speak ill of another Mormon perhaps? I suspect there are more LDS who are embarrassed by Brother Beck than who want to say so when he bashes those of the opposite view. The sad thing is that Beck is so intemperately proud of his ignorance that he doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time and doesn't care to learn.

• play by the rules SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    June 18, 2013 4:24 p.m.

Love all the "LDS HATERS" of Glenn Beck on this board. Glenn does more good for the LDS church in one day meeting with members of divers faiths than most of them will do in a lifetime. Before Glenn Beck came on the scene LDS could not get in front of most evangelicals and we are now welcome with open arms. Wo unto ye hypocrites. Read some Ezra Taft Benson and it will benefit you greatly and perhaps open your eyes to things Glenn Beck is warning about. Most of those who despice Glenn do not listen to him. This family loves Glenn.

• Bill McGee Alpine, UT
    June 18, 2013 4:11 p.m.

"...take the beating heart out of a dead body..."? I'm pretty sure, like a lot if what Beck says, that that is simply not possible. Hyperbole is not the same thing as analysis.

• Lightbearer Brigham City, UT
    June 18, 2013 4:05 p.m.

From the article: "Glenn Beck, cites LDS teachings ... as the foundation of his decidedly less 'sunny' belief that Biblical 'end times' are coming and 'you better have your house in order.'"

People who have long since died of old age were told not only that we were living in the last days, but that Christ would return during their lifetimes. I heard the same thing growing up, so you would think that the end would have been here by now.

As for this being cause for pessimism, I thought the end of the world was not something believers feared, but something they looked forward to, and that they could hardly wait for it to happen.

• Userid333 Arlington, VA
    June 18, 2013 3:52 p.m.

Let me join chorus saying that Glenn Beck does not speak for them. I'm surprised that more LDS members aren't unsettled by the mockery he heaps upon those with different perspectives, his angry and fear mongering tone and his distortions of the points of view of the political left. He's a mormon using anti-mormon style tactics on his opponents.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    June 18, 2013 3:45 p.m.

While we would all love to have seen Amy Adams be a Steve Young or something, it didn't happen. I don't think she said anything necessarily wrong. I would say how she responded to guilt is a bit off. Guilt is sometimes a good thing, creates self restraint. Too much guilt can be problematic. But I look at her as basically a good person. She might not live her life completely within church values but it sounded like she has some good memories of her association with the LDS church. I think it has effected her life in a positive way. Again, I'm concerned about the judgmental attitudes existing here.

As for Glenn Beck, well he has his Mormonism on his sleeve. I actually think Glenn's heart is in the right place but sometimes his mouth goes elsewhere. I think he wants to make a positive imprint on our society. This is what I will choose to believe. Yes, he is a disciple of Cleon Skousen. But I think he had these leanings before his official conversion. He is fighting for what he believes in which many disagree. I do often myself.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    June 18, 2013 3:29 p.m.

"when I go out with friends and we go overboard at bars or clubs, I wake up the next morning feeling a bit conflicted about having had too much fun."

Amy, it's called a hangover.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 18, 2013 3:26 p.m.

While I did click on the article and read it because I was interested in what these 2 had to say, I really couldn't care less about what they said as it pertains to my own life and way of doing things. They are just another couple of people, like all of the rest of us, that have an opinion.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    June 18, 2013 3:17 p.m.

Melting pot? You must not have grown up in Utah in the 50's then.

• TheHOYT Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 18, 2013 3:15 p.m.

"It provides a support system if you embrace it, despite all the controlling and guilting aspects of religion that I grew to resent,” Adams said.

Feeling guilt *is* a part of spirituality, and it's not a bad thing. Running from guilt is a bad thing because it'll always hang around and haunt you. The teachings of Christ inform us on how to confront our guilt and repent to become better people.

• snowman Provo, UT
    June 18, 2013 3:00 p.m.

JLFuller: I'm a Mormon from the 50's and I have never been paranoid about those who were not Mormon. I grew up in what was called the melting pot because there were so many different religions and nationalities.

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    June 18, 2013 2:53 p.m.

Amy Adams: "You can’t misbehave without feeling badly about it ..."

Shouldn't "feeling badly" be a result of bad behavior, no matter your religious belief, or NO religious belief?

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 18, 2013 2:49 p.m.

Who is Amy Adams? Why does her pronouncements have any bearing on anything? She says words that are written for her, says them how someone tells her to say them, and has someone hired to say she didn't mean to say things she said when someone is offended.

I gather that Mr. Beck writes his own words, publishes them,broadcasts them and makes his living that way.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    June 18, 2013 2:39 p.m.

Glenn must not realize that atrocities like that have been going on for thousands of years, we are just now able to witness them from the comfort of our living rooms.

I've always felt a little bit conflicted with the end of times doomsayers, because while I have to believe it to a certain extent, because that's what our doctrine says, I also see so much good, and in so many ways it is a wonderful time to be alive.

For me I mostly chose to ignore that facet of our religion, far more important to me is what I chose to do with my time here, that I return better than I came, that I use Christ's teaching to better myself and those around me. In the end I think that's all that really matters.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    June 18, 2013 2:30 p.m.

"Thank heavens most Mormons are nothing like these two"

Minus the fame, many Mormons are EXACTLY like these two. If only there were less of the Glen Beck variety.

• RedUtes08 West Jordan, UT
    June 18, 2013 1:42 p.m.

I dont think that judging these two figures, is the prudent way to go about things. Why should they be ashamed for their life? Haven't we all made dumb mistakes in our life? As a member of this church I am sadly embarrassed at that comment. I don't believe that shows true Christ-Like attributes towards fellow members or non-members of the church? Who are we to judge another?

• EJM Herriman, UT
    June 18, 2013 1:20 p.m.

@thereyougoagain: that is quite possibly the best posting I have ever seen. Thanks for putting a smile on my face!

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    June 18, 2013 1:13 p.m.

Too many Mormons place undue importance on seeing members of their faith as celebrated pop culture icons. That’s quite human for a people with a long history as social pariahs.

I trust that most intelligent people know that Mormons don’t all think alike any more than do members of any other religion. They know too that religion can be a superficial indicator of a person’s character. That’s determined by what’s in the heart.

• lollyclk Bloomfield, NM
    June 18, 2013 1:12 p.m.

I think that everyone chooses different aspects of life to focus on. For me personally as an LDS person (or Mormon), I choose to focus on becoming a better person and influencing those around me for the good. I'm not so concerned with the "End of Times" because it's a little gloomy and scary. The only real thing I can influence is me. I personally feel more freedom because of my decision to not use certain things (tobacco, alcohol, coffee and tea). I feel I have more freedom because I'm not constrained by an addiction to going out and smoking or being in a bad mood until I get my first hit of coffee in the morning. I also think my decision to be chaste (not having intimate relations except with a spouse) is also very freeing in many emotional and physical ways.

I think that we can not pick any one or two people as standard for a genre. Just like we would hate for Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears to be the standard of Americans to the rest of the world.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    June 18, 2013 1:11 p.m.

Thank heavens most Mormons are nothing like these two.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    June 18, 2013 1:07 p.m.

If you come from an old line Mormon family and are a child of the 1950's and 60', then you are probably aware of just how much things have changed in the church in last couple decades. The difference is mainly generational. The old line siege Mormons are gone now as are most of their children. But if you knew any of them then you know just how paranoid Mormons were when it came to "outsiders". THAT, and the notion that we were running headlong into the whirling blades of the end times created a sense of doom that hung over the Church like a pall. Listening to Glenn Beck is like opening a door into the 1950's. All we need now is Cleon Skousen, cat-eye glasses, black and white TV and the hula hoop.

• jbhill South Jordan, UT
    June 18, 2013 1:06 p.m.

This is going to sound facetious, but I don't mean it to be. I'm genuinely curious to know.

Amy's comments about guilt made me wonder -- does religious teaching *create* guilt? If she had grown up atheist or in a church that said nothing about partying would that eliminate any feelings of guilt or regret the next morning?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 18, 2013 1:06 p.m.

Glenn Beck is a fearmongering demagogue. I actually AM an LDS member, and he most certainly does NOT have his finger on the pulse of my faith.

• Woody Newbury Park, CA
    June 18, 2013 1:01 p.m.

Both these people see things from their personal point of view. I haven't heard anyone in General Conference sound like either of them.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    June 18, 2013 12:47 p.m.

Kudos to Amy for being an actress and Glenn for making millions as an end times merchandiser...

I don't make a move unless I've run it by both of these...people...

• Downtime Saint George, UT
    June 18, 2013 12:46 p.m.

I don't like either of them. And neither of them represent me, or my church. They only represent themselves; and they should both be ashamed of who they have each become.

• PMSmith SANDY, UT
    June 18, 2013 12:38 p.m.

I'm LDS and i'd not put much faith in Glenn Beck and his take - we are living in biblical times but i'm not listening to Glenn to tell me that - And even through Amy Adams is not a member any longer its interesting to see the influence it has had and continues to have on her life.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 18, 2013 12:38 p.m.

FatherOfFour, choose your words carefully....Glenn Beck certainly doesn't have his finger on the pulse of THIS church member. For the record, neither does Amy Adams.

• Pasmith St Petersburg, FL
    June 18, 2013 12:34 p.m.

I do share his beliefs but I also think that my beliefs bring me joy. I believe we can be happy in the face of troubled times because of our faith.

June 18, 2013 12:17 p.m.

I am not LDS but I do listen to Glenn Beck from time to time to hear what the LDS viewpoint is on many things. From talking to many Mormons, I get a sense that Beck has a real finger-on-the-pulse of the church and most members share his same beliefs.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    June 18, 2013 12:15 p.m.

If you ask a hundred their feelings about growing up LDS and how it has influenced their lives, I bet you get a hundred different answers. The same would no doubt be true regarding those who grew up Catholic, Southern Baptist or Methodist.