Faith

LDS First Presidency members launch Google+ pages, Facebook in the future

Comments

• mish mom Roy, UT
    June 14, 2013 12:36 p.m.

BYR, the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles approve their comments, and it states right on each page that they are OFFICAL sites of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They pages are run by the Church, and all comments are official and approved by them. (the Twelve have sites too... the story is incorrect - all of the First Presidency and the Twelve have pages as of yesterday. It's not "in the future" as the story stated.)

Woah Nellie the sites are Official Church approved sites. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints also has a website, and other Offical Church approved pages on facebook and other places. If you would visit them you would see that they clearly state that they are OFFICAL. You are missing out if you turn a blind eye to the resources that the Church has given us. ;)

• hillplus Aurora, CO
    June 14, 2013 7:51 a.m.

I will be your friend! :)

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    June 13, 2013 1:51 p.m.

Sorry Whoa Nellie but the Deseret News comment section qualifies as social media and you have an account. You may as well breakdown and create a larger footprint with Google+ and Facebook just like the brethren.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Salt Lake City, UT
    June 13, 2013 11:48 a.m.

These sites are tools. They can be used for good and bad. They WILL be used for good and bad.

I'm happy the church is using it. It's just one more good thing to happen in a world that needs more of it.

And I really like Google+. I wish more people would use it. They keep improving it, but sadly the world is still glued to Facebook. Though I have a feeling if these Facebook advertisements keep getting more frequent as they have, it's fall may come sooner than later. MySpace fell, Facebook can too.

• DRay Roy, UT
    June 13, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Printed comments can be so misconstrued, and often are, by people, the public, that its a risky venture at best...every word will be scrutinized for double meanings, etc....I support the idea that there is plenty of good and positive to look for yet, in this world, and appreciate this as an effort to reach out to the youth and younger generations by our Church Leaders, hope it goes well to that end.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    June 13, 2013 9:35 a.m.

Good to know it's just a presence on those sites. This solidifies my choice not to have an account on social media.

• curlingsteel Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 13, 2013 8:23 a.m.

Hey, I'm "following the prophets!" :)

• Doug81 Clearfield, UT
    June 13, 2013 7:50 a.m.

Good stuff. I love seeing uplifting and more eternally significant messages in my newsfeeds. BYR, I agree - These men stay very busy. But the article clearly states, "These pages will act as an official social media presence for these leaders, where the church will post links to talks, articles, videos and other relevant content on their behalf." Makes sense to me.

• DebAdams Safford, AZ
    June 13, 2013 7:04 a.m.

Wonderful! It is a great idea to be able to connect with precious prophet-President Monson, and his precious counselors President Eyring and President Uchtdorf. It will be fun! Thank you for this inspired decision! Love, Sister Debbie Adams (Safford, AZ Sixth Ward)

• BYR Woods Cross, UT
    June 13, 2013 3:05 a.m.

I highly doubt the First Presidency is really making comments on Google+, Facebook, etc. Someone is assign to do this for them and it will be rare when a post or comment is made. They have better things to do with their time. But, I do think it is wise for the Church to do this, before someone else does it for them.