Utah

Spanish Fork father kills 2-year-old son, then himself, police say

But family members suspect child's death may have been accidental

Comments

• sjc layton, UT
    June 13, 2013 8:21 a.m.

A 21 year old with a 2 year old, living with mommy & daddy.

None of this is a surprise

• Janet Ontario, OR
    June 10, 2013 6:52 p.m.

I was barely 21 when my four-month-old rolled off of the changing pad and landed on the floor. At 17 months, he managed to climb over a high crib rail and land on his head on a tile floor, leading to 12 stitches in his forehead. In the first case, I didn't know he could roll over; in the second, neither my husband nor I guessed the baby could get over that rail. In both cases, I felt absolute panic. Had my baby died on my watch, I don't know what I would have done! Let's not judge this young man -- certainly not until we know (if we ever do) exactly what happened.

• Bob Pomeroy Bisbee, AZ
    June 10, 2013 6:29 p.m.

Our family experienced the accidental death of a child, and it impacted continuing generations. This seems to me to probably be similar, and that Dad committed suicide because he could not cope. He probably felt all kinds of guilt about it, but probably is non-culpable. No need to jump to the conclusion that it was a murder/suicide, or a homicide of any kind -- except for the suicide. Hope ME can resolve this. Swing a kid around by the heals is great fun for both, but a small glitch or stumble can be disastrous. Best to judge mercifully.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    June 10, 2013 5:33 p.m.

to complete my comment above
    2. 2 year old chile (conception must have taken place when father was at most 18)
    3. father and 2 year old child living with the father's grandparents
    4. support lien filed in court.

To me it means our enlightened society that pushes sex upon us continuously and apparently approves of sex by teenagers (they are reallly still children, but children having children) has some real problems that result in such things as what this story reports.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    June 10, 2013 5:08 p.m.

county mom:

How about this one: maybe after death we spend forever with good and kind and righteous family members. I can see both of your points. I know too many people whose family was anything but good and kind and righteous. I don't wish Dennis to spend his forever alone but may he find people among his circle that have these attributes, whether they be friends or family members of generations ago or generations to come.

On the subject of the article, my sympathies go out to them. This is truly a sad, tragic event.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    June 10, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Does the following facts indicate something?
    1. father 21 years of age

• joeman335td RUSSELL, IA
    June 10, 2013 1:39 p.m.

So sad...hope that the son's death was accidental as seems to be related in the story and the dad's sadness and remorse won out...what a tragedy.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    June 10, 2013 1:26 p.m.

@MormonSean...I surely hope families are not forever. It's a terrible thought.

• MormonSean Salt Lake City, UT
    June 10, 2013 12:07 p.m.

This child will be reunited with loved ones; that is what I believe. In such a dark room that's the light I think that shines through; it's what we should focus on. Instead of holding on to doubt, hate, pain or anything else that drags us down in despair- We can hold on to that light instead. Families are forever.

• Shane333 Cedar Hills, UT
    June 10, 2013 10:07 a.m.

I pray that the little boy didn't suffer. I can NOT understand how a father (even a suicidal one) could do such a thing.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT