Faith

BYU football: Corby Eason's LDS conversion at BYU

Comments

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    June 10, 2013 2:45 p.m.

When Bronco first became head coach, it was obvious that winning was higher on his list of priorities than it is now. I think he now has his priorities right, and it's the chief reason I continue to defend him. He is a leader among men, many of whom will honor him for their lifetimes for the positive influence he has imparted. Kudos to Bronco.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    June 8, 2013 11:38 p.m.

@ekute
    What a silly thing to wonder!!!

I can tell you right now, Coach Mendenhall and his priorities are exactly who and how I want him coaching at BYU. So I won't be disappointed. I enjoy college ball for the growth and development that coaches can bring out of their players. I enjoy many teams. In this case I really like what Coach Mendenhasll is trying to do with the institutional goals and constraints he has. It's a very challenging task and he has done very well. The miles posts of success aren't reflected just in wins. They are nice but just a bonus.
    I have seen really mediocre teams become great with great coaching and I have seen really talented teams fizzle with injuries that had nothing to do with coaching. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. I have seen highly successful coaches I would never around my sons or anyone elses.
    Coaching has changed so much from Lavell's early days that any coach who can win with the additional challenges that a Y coach has earns my respect.

If you are counting on just wins may I suggest "Roll tide!"

• ekute Layton, UT
    June 8, 2013 3:40 p.m.

Good for Corby. Good for the Church. Good for BYU and Bronco and his staff for the influence that they had on Corby.

At the end of this season, it will be interesting to see how slcwatch and the rest of you "fans" feel about bronco, his priorities, and his ranking thereof.

Go Utes.

• Born in Provo Logan, UT
    June 7, 2013 8:00 p.m.

Great memories of Corby coming off the corner blitz and leveling the QB. Great story, Corby. Blessings to you and your family.

• sg newhall, CA
    June 7, 2013 5:48 p.m.

Darn, I was trying not to cry and I lost. What a wonderful article. The power of BYU when a student looks for the good that is there rather than the bad. Yes, even at BYU, you can find what you're looking for, it all depends on where you're heart is. The church is wonderful and does change lives.

• Gone fishin Murray, UT
    June 7, 2013 4:16 p.m.

BYU fans: For the life of me I can't figure out how Chris B can take a great and positive article and turn it completely around to something totally negative, and then drag others through her hatred of all things BYU. Let's not feed the troll anymore and maybe she will go away. The hatred will always be there and will continue to eat away at her. Let's rise above the muddy swamp that she lives in.

• Todd Christiansen's Thesaurus Ogden, UT
    June 7, 2013 11:27 a.m.

As you know BYU is owned by the church and as you know the mission of the church is to bring all unto Christ. Yes Non-LDS students can be converted anywhere and that includes universities all around the world.

We of the LDS faith, enjoy reading and hearing about conversion stories and when conversion and baptism occurs within the highest profile athletic program in this state, its that much more newsworthy.

This story is a celebration of one man's experience at BYU, which led to his conversion. It's a great story and it's an integral part of the culture in this state. This is not about BYU being the only university in the world where this happens but when it happens at BYU, it will likely be published online in the church-owned D news.

Try to remember this and try not to make this about anything else.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    June 7, 2013 10:19 a.m.

By now it's apparent to most BYU fans and even many Utah fans that Chris B (and perhaps even Cris B) live in a different kind of world than most of us, where apparently the sky is even a different color. In fact, the only color he apparently sees is red.

It should also be apparent by now that no amount of arguing or trying to reason with him will make any difference. People have been trying with much futility after many different BYU articles and always to no avail. He sees this topic according to his own bias and only with that bias. No amount of common sense reasoning is going to change that. Some very well meaning people have made some wonderful, perfect-sense rebuttals to his negative BYU-Mormon comments and he simply doesn't get it. Hopefully someday, but obviously not yet. In the meantime, just be patient and realize there is still a lot of growing up left to be done. Only he can decide when that might happen... probably someday after a long, sincere look in the mirror. In the meantime, some of his political article comments are pretty good.

• Harrison Lapahie Shiprock, NM
    June 7, 2013 10:16 a.m.

I remember when the first African-American student on the BYU basketball team in 1973 felt he was being discriminated at BYU. There were no other African Americans at BYU for him to talk with and seek help and guidance. The NAACP came to his defense and this African American later transferred to another university with the NAACP's help. During that time, I felt sad because of that, and the students and staff at BYU didn't really help him feel comfortable at BYU. I remember him walking across campus by himself. During this time African-Americans were not allowed to be Elders in the LDS church.

Today times are different. African-Americans are fully accepted into the LDS church and there are many African-Americans students at BYU, and they also make up the BYU football and basketball team. I just hope as Corby Eason continues to grow in the LDS faith, that he does not feel being discriminated against. Some LDS still feel that African-Americans were given their skin color because Cain killed Abel, and because of that, Cain was given a "mark", a curse that would be with him and his descendants.

God Bless Corby Eason.

• Ruthey01 Bremerton, WA
    June 7, 2013 10:13 a.m.

This is such a heartwarming story. I love reading about the conversion "process" in others. It makes me reflect on my own conversion and the feelings that attended my baptism are renewed within me.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    June 7, 2013 8:48 a.m.

"Or are you saying the kids at Alabama, Utah, Florida,... and other teams that have won significant prestigious bowls lately don't have god or friends or an education?"

"He isn't saying that it can't happen someplace else. (STuFOO)

"Yes, that is EXACTLY what he is slcwatch is saying"

"YES, slcwatch is saying those other schools who don't pat themslevs on the back every time they talk about God and how righteous they are must not have these other things in their life"

"he was implying that good football teams are incapable of being good students, families,.etc. just because their coaches want to win games and don't preach like bronco."

"SLC watch is saying other coaches who don't put together a pretty little list like this have their priorities wrong."

"Because Nick Saban does not come out with a happy list of priorities SLC watch apparently looks down on that, or there would be no need to brag about bronco's order."

"So now you agree with slc watch that a player can't have everything?"

I apparently say alot without writing a single word of this.
    Falsely attributing a quote?
    Apology?

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    June 7, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Some things (actually most things) are more important than football, especially at BYU and while that irritates some fans, its still true and perhaps those who disagree have misplaced values.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2013 10:29 p.m.

Chris B impostor

SOS is Utah's excuse for hardly ever being ranked.

What good is "owning" someone, when you're not even good enough to be ranked yourself?

Classic little brother syndrome.

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Foostu,

So now you agree with slc watch that a player can't have everything? I see you are spinning yourself around and you can't keep up with the flow of comments.

My whole point is that Alabama kids are religious, studious, good with family, AND national champs

Sabah did not have to discount football at all

My utes are religious, good in school, great in community, AND dominate you on the football field

There is no need for whittingham to be preachy. His job number ONE is win football because our guys already have the other aspects covered

Broncos list is an excuse by byu fans for their .200 record against top 25 teams

Lol!

We own you and our players are studs off the field.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    June 6, 2013 5:47 p.m.

Chris b

So what your are saying is that you don't know how to prioritize at all.

Not everything can be number one. When your father is dying on game day how to you reconcile where you should be?

Your argument is that Nick Saben has a priority system...

"I think kids at Alabama have God right where they want him.
    They can also have friends/family right where they want them.
    They also just were awarded a top APR score for great academics."

One that you approve of.

BYU has a priority system, one you don't approve of.

So your argument is to tell BYU fans that you're right and they are wrong.

And then you argue that BYU and BYU fans are self righteous.

Well,I can't argue with that type of logic.

• Johnny Moser Thayne, WY
    June 6, 2013 5:42 p.m.

I have a theory about Chris B. I really think he is a Ute Fan that WORKS FOR the DesNews. He gets paid to make his silly remarks on the BYU stories to increase the hits and comments on its stories.

Just one crazy man's opinion.

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2013 5:06 p.m.

Foostu,

Why have a list where you rank things then?

That is my whole point.

IF SLCwatch believed as I believe you can have all of them the list would look like this.

god 1
    family 1
    friends 1
    school 1

But slcwatch is praising bronco for his list.

But again, if you can have all of them, why the NEED to brag about his priority list?

I've made this extremely simple.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2013 4:37 p.m.

StuFoo,

You could not be more wrong.

I will try and keep this real simple with the goal you understand. Although I won't hold my breath.

SLC watch is bragging about bronco's "priorities"

Do you understand the definition of a "priority"?

I disagree.

I think kids at Alabama have God right where they want him.
    They can also have friends/family right where they want them.
    They also just were awarded a top APR score for great academics.

And guess what?

They win national championships.

I am saying you can have it all - thus no need to discout football.

Nick Saban, Whittingham, Spurrier dont' discount football

And their kids are every big as righteous, studious, and good family members as byu students.

Deal with it.

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    June 6, 2013 4:28 p.m.

@Chris B
    Don't be like the BYU fans that post ignorant hateful comments on utah's stories. It seems all you want to do is rile people up. You took a perfectly good uplifting story that said nothing against your utes and turned it in to your own hateful agenda. Read and post comments about stories about your utes. Be like Sneaky Jimmy... "Very good story. It's nice to see a young man use a football scholarship for his long term benefit. It's nice to hear he had such a positive experience at BYU. I hope the non football playing non-members get the same love and appreciation."... or some of the other commenters on this post whose comments reflect the actual article. And BYU fans do not post things on utah articles similar to what Chris B does here. And if we are arguing who is better, let stats and facts prove your points. Not bias, opinions, ignorance, and hatred.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    June 6, 2013 3:52 p.m.

Chris B.

Let's bring the whole thing to a level you can understand.

You're the one who is implying that a football player cannot be all of those things. You're the one trying to argue that because Bronco established a hierarchy where football is 5th,that he is somehow wrong. You are the one arguing and I quote your words, not anyone esle's

You are the one who built the straw man argument. slcwatch didn't say a football player cannot be all of them, you did. When you say "or are you saying..." you can't add your opinion and then claim that sclwatch said it and you want to argue it.

Please, rank your five most important things in your life so they can go under the same scrutiny that you place BYU's priorities. Remember, they all cannot be number one, but they can be close. We would love to give your list the same respect you gave his.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2013 2:56 p.m.

Guy with a brain,

You guys are having a tough time keeping up in the flow of the conversation.

SLC Watch listed the priorities of bronco.

I replied and asked slcwatch if he/she was implying that good football teams are incapable of being good students, families,.etc. just because their coaches want to win games and don't preach like bronco.

STFOO then told me that is not what slcwatch was implying.

I then replied to STfoo saying if that is not what slcwatch was implying, why then was there a need to list something as first, second, third. If slcwatch was not implying that good football athletes can't be good students, have good family relationships etc. then they can have football, God, family, and education all be #1.

And then you went on your rant, clearly showing you didn't understand the flow of the comments.

Let me propose something:

Go read all of the comments and the flow of them. If SLC watch is not implying that a good football player can't also be a good student, family member...etc then there is no need to rank them, because they can all be #1.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    June 6, 2013 2:16 p.m.

A while back Chris B. posted a comment that was complimentary of my LDS faith and I was shocked beyond belief because I didn't know he was capable of saying anything positive about the Church or BYU for that matter. I made a vow from then on that I will never again allow myself to be bothered by any of his posts anymore no matter how hateful they are. Amazingly, I'm smiling instead of fuming like I usually did when I read his posts. I think I understand him better now, and others like Naval Vet, etc, who share a very deep seated contempt and dislike of anything BYU, because they don't even try to hide it...unlike ETB and his sister Mildred who constantly posts insincere and cynical remarks in their comments pretending to be Cougar fans when they're not. I think their sole aim is to generate hate and mockery towards BYU. Seriously though, I'm being sarcastic when I say they're a brother and sister duo. I made that up because all their posts are almost always identical in aim and contents.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    June 6, 2013 1:34 p.m.

@ Chris B - Salt Lake City, UT - "StuFoo, Yes, that is EXACTLY what he is slcwatch is saying. SLC Watch even says later: It's fifth, not 157th. Why would there need to put a list of priorities unless there was a give and take?

Why not have it be this then?

God? 1
    Football? 1
    School? 1
    Friends? 1
    Family 1?

Why isn't is that?"

Good question. Yes, why CAN'T it be like that?

Because no man can have 2 masters.

Who said that?

Jesus Christ.

Now, YOU argue with Him if you want. I will not.

Lose the hate. Good luck.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    June 6, 2013 12:32 p.m.

Chris B:
    I'm trying to imagine Nick Saban talking about Heavenly Father and the promptings of the spirit to one of his players, but it's just not working for me...I just can't picture it. Maybe since you know what he thinks and how things are at Alabama and Florida (Utah doesn't belong in the same discussion with them) you could help me visualize this possibility. And STuFOO justifiably called you out for the Strawman act (I was going to but he beat me to the punch and did so eloquently). You are so muddled in your BYU victimology you probably didn't even realize you were speaking for everyone. We forgive you. Now, take a deep breath, step back, and start over...that seems to help some people.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    June 6, 2013 11:58 a.m.

Chris B?

Seriously?

Take a look at your comment on at the end to see your lack of candor and the exact same self-righteousness that you claim he is having...

"YES, slcwatch is saying those other schools who don't pat themslevs on the back every time they talk about God and how righteous they are must not have these other things in their life."

You are the only one arguing that these schools don't and BYU does. Like you get to be the judge and jury of what BYU does and says.

The problem with your hatred is that you see things where things are not because you want to see them. You, again, added the words you use later as the basis of your argument.

I love how you not only speak for slwatch, you also speak about "prestigious" programs and what their value order is. Like you know them personally and can speak for where winning is in their structure.

For someone who once again claims "victim" of BYU self righteousness. You sure are ready and available to let everyone know how it is, whose in the know, and what it means.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2013 11:38 a.m.

StuFoo,

Yes, that is EXACTLY what he is slcwatch is saying

SLC Watch even says later:

It's fifth, not 157th

Why not have it be this then?

God? 1
    Football? 1
    School? 1
    Friends? 1
    Family 1?

Why isn't is that.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    June 6, 2013 11:36 a.m.

I've found it hard sometimes, and frustrating being a BYU fan because of some of the constraints we have with the honor code, and big time recruits leaving on missions, and no Sunday play, etc. Then I read stories like this, and see and hear how young men that play at BYU have been inspired and accomplished the more important things in life, and it's a beautiful reminder of why I'm a fan and love and care so much about BYU athletics. I guess it's because being a BYU fan is about more than just cheering the team and players on the field, it's about cheering for success on the field while honoring yourself, loved ones, and God off it. That's what makes BYU special in my mind...not that those experiences don't happen outside of BYU (Manti Teo's experience at ND was inspirational also) but that they seem to happen at BYU far more often than elsewhere where they only "care about whether a coach wins". Tradition, Spirit, Honor. BYU certainly displays it, LITERALLY, on their field, and most players are great embassadors that display it off the field as well.

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 6, 2013 10:45 a.m.

It's doubtful that anyone besides my jealous little sister would try to sandwich Utah between Alabama and Florida in a desperate attempt to make our fading flash-in-the-pan program seem more "prestigious", but she tries.

Corby Eason's story is inspiring and a great example of the positive influence BYU can have on young people, both athletes and non-athletes, even for non-LDS students who don't convert.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Two things are legendary here....

1-BYU's Football program (with the accompanying BYU experience) and the lifelong influence for the good it has on those fortunate enough to wear the hallowed Y.

And

2- Chrissy B's...Legendary "Insecurity" and "Dark Cloud" perpetually hovering above him..

It's breakfast time Chris...your lemons are ready for consumption.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    June 6, 2013 9:58 a.m.

Chris B

Your posting on this article is very predictable, of course. And as with every other post of yours, all I can do is smile, shake my head, and say "wow."

• Mauiman Kihei, HI
    June 6, 2013 9:56 a.m.

Yeah I went to BYU back when we won just about every football and basketball game, 1978-82. I still love to see BYU win. The funny thing about life is that wins or losses are so important at the time but looking back a couple of years, your memory fades. But for athletes like Corby what he accomplished off the field has changed his life forever. He's creating new ever-lasting memories AND helping others to do the same.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2013 9:55 a.m.

@Chris B.
    It's fifth, not 157th. Coach Mendenhall has a very good winning percentage and he has his priorities in order. (Here, I'll save you the trouble SOS,PAC12,BCS,and any I missed)

Do you think that commenting on BYU articles should be a #1 priority? I know you think you have a mandate from somewhere (who, none of us know) but seriously you should get another hobby.

Oh, and I don't think you need to "lol" yourself so much...people wonder about that.

• STuFOO Korea, AE
    June 6, 2013 9:49 a.m.

Chris B,

That isn't at all what slcwatch was saying, but because of your hatred, you take the argument someplace where only you could possible believe and then argue an invalid point.

He isn't saying that it can't happen someplace else. He is saying it happened at BYU for this particular player with the help of this particular coach.

It amazes me that you fain the victim in the hypocrisy of BYU fans and programs, all the while building farce arguments that are attacking and demeaning without once having an once of candor or self restraint.

You are the very epitome of what you claim BYU fans are.

"I love a coach... that knows how to win."

This shows how little you know about coaching. You need to read some books by some of the great coaches. They'll tell you they won because the cared about their kids first and their record second. I had lunch with Jimmy V before he passed. I guarantee that winning wasn't number one on his list.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    June 6, 2013 9:17 a.m.

Winning in any sports at BYU, most especially in football and basketball, is very exciting, but it still doesn't compare to the joy of hearing about lives that's been changed for the better just by having the BYU experience. Great inspirational story! Thanks for sharing. And thank you Coach M for the influence you have on those kids!

Go Cougars!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2013 9:17 a.m.

slcwatch,

The thing is, kids at prestigious programs who have gone undefeated and won significant bowls in the past 30 years can have God AND family AND friends AND eduction AND WIN.

LOL!

I love a coach who knows kids can do what they want with god, still have friends, family, and education, and who knows his job is to WIN!

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2013 8:52 a.m.

You know I hear all these commentors complaining about how Bronco Mendenhall isn't a good football coach, how his priorities are messed up and how people can't relate to him. Well I have to say Corby Eason is reason enough to say that Coach Mendenhall has accomplished more than winning the National Championship, placing a hundred guys in the NFL or even beating a rival three times straight could ever mean. He has changed a life for eternity and that can't be under valued.

First value: God....Corby made it first too. Priceless

Second value: Family....Corby found and married his sweetheart for time and all eternity. Again priceless.

Third value: Friends...A whole "Happy valley" full. Priceless

Fourth value: Education....Got his degree and an education in life Priceless

Fifth value: Football...It's hardly worth mentioning with the others but Corby had a fantastic Division I experience with a legend team. Priceless

Frustration, wailing, ranting and nashing of teeth by a certian anti-BYU Deseret News commentor over an article like this? How sad and depressing.

I can only pray he would accept a tour of Happy Valley with Corby Eason.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    June 6, 2013 8:50 a.m.

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    June 6, 2013 3:00 a.m.

That is such an inspiring story, from such an articulate young man. Corby, I enjoyed watching you on the field, but am really excited for your future. You've got such great potential.