Family

H&M CEO says company's models are 'too skinny,' should be 'sound and healthy'

Comments

• ipr Spanish Fork, UT
    June 6, 2013 5:36 p.m.

And that, Azgal, is why size 12-14 is now considered plus sized.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2013 7:42 a.m.

I take exception to the fact that 12-14 is considered "plus-size". Why? Because I fall in that range, and if you met me on the street, I'd be one of the last people you'd consider to have a weight issue.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    June 6, 2013 6:50 a.m.

Who can remember Twiggy, She was thought to be skinny. I like to see muscle tone over bones or blubber. To each their own, I guess.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 5, 2013 9:18 p.m.

@Maudine

Where are you getting your ideas? As a health care professional, I can guarantee you that obesity is killing far more women than anorexia and bulimia combined...by almost 100 to 1.

• Maudine SLC, UT
    June 5, 2013 9:10 p.m.

@ Chris B: (Nice use of two logins, by the way.) Size is a very poor indicator of health and being too skinny is actually a greater health risk than being slightly over weight. Anorexia and bulimia kill more women than obesity.

If the point is to promote health, healthy models at a proper weight is better than too skinny models - and that is what this store is doing.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2013 8:54 p.m.

Maudine,

I am simply pointing out this nation is extremely unhealthy and that the average person(women certainly included) would be more healthy if they LOST weight and not gained more weight.

So if people are accusing skinny models of making people want to be skinnier(even too skinny) my reply is...well....are there more unhealthy skinny people in the country or more unhealthy overweight people?

The average US woman could stand to lose a few pounds. Men too.

Yes, the truth hurts. I think the outcry is more of a poor justification for why we are overweight people than it is out of concern for the too skinny models

• Maudine SLC, UT
    June 5, 2013 7:14 p.m.

@ Cris B: No one is claiming skinny is unhealthy or wrong - the claim is that some modern models are too skinny. It is normal to see some bones - such as the collar bone - but seeing ribs or having hip bones clearly visible is not healthy. When women are starving themselves to be skinny enough to be a model, or having surgery to increase their thigh gap because that is the only way to get it to the size promoted by fashion models, that is a problem.

@ ipr: Marilyn Monroe wore a size 12-14 - which in today's clothing sizes would be about a 6. Your size 10 90's skirt would have (probably) been a 14 in the 70's and a 16 in the 50's. Your current size 8 would probably have been a 12 in the 90's.

The increase in the size of sizes you mentioned, is not a new phenomenon.

• ipr Spanish Fork, UT
    June 5, 2013 6:08 p.m.

azgal: I am a size 8, but can't fit into my 90's size 10 skirt, because the waist is too small. Unfortunately sizes have grown with people - I guess to make us feel better.

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    June 5, 2013 4:57 p.m.

I'm getting tired of the push from the media that being skinny is wrong and unhealthy. There are plenty of healthy and skinny people, probably more healthy skinny people than healthy fat people.

Skinny people are more attractive and having attractive models will sell more clothes.

I am totally fine with this concept and think that the increase in large people in our country is driving this push to vilify the attractive and the skinny.

There is nothing wrong with thinking skinny is more attractive than fat and there is nothing wrong with wanting to sell more clothes.

• azgal Buckeye, AZ
    June 5, 2013 4:57 p.m.

That makes me sad that a size 12-14 is considered 'plus sized'