U.S. & World

First lady Michelle Obama confronts heckler at fundraising event

Comments

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    June 6, 2013 7:56 a.m.

what is queen obama (michelle) fundraising for? the election is over and obamas continue to campaign. CLUELESS

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    June 6, 2013 7:29 a.m.

Re: worf

Another good laugh! Thanks.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    June 5, 2013 9:58 p.m.

Gee, someone doesn't think that Mrs. Obama is all wonderful? That must hurt the ego.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    June 5, 2013 7:38 p.m.

worf, just what IS Mrs. Obama's role in controlling the deficit? And if it's dropping, should that mean you should expect MORE heckling? You confuse me.

• Reader Sandy, UT
    June 5, 2013 7:16 p.m.

Good for Michelle Obama. If I had been there, I would have applauded her. Heckling is rude and accomplishes nothing.

• Shazandra Bakersfield, CA
    June 5, 2013 7:13 p.m.

You silly, Bubble. You know what I meant.

The bulk of rude public interruptions come from one mindset. Sorry you're not aware. (They're also the ones who trash streets, parks, private property after rallies.). They don't corner the market on claims of religiosity, just on rude public forum discourse. Visit a campus sometime, a liberal one.

• Bubble SLC, UT
    June 5, 2013 6:50 p.m.

@ Shazzandra: Really? You think religious people don't interrupt and heckle? I guess that depends on how you define religion and religious people - many of those who protest LDS General Conference claim to be religious. Fred Phelps and his followers claim to be religious.

And who said this heckler was not religious? Just because she does not follow the religious teaching you follow, does not mean she is without religion.

• David Centerville, UT
    June 5, 2013 5:35 p.m.

I don't recall our liberal friends chiding the hecklers during Romney's speaches during the campaign. Rather, they criticized Romney if he ignored the heckers, and criticized him when he responded to the hecklers.

Once again, hypocrisy and double standards arise.

Our fearless leaders, the Obamas, must not be countered, confronted, questioned, or criticized. This is the USSA of course.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    June 5, 2013 5:19 p.m.

Would be great if the Obama's would do some fund raising for the country, and cut the deficit in half as promised. Maybe trim the debt.

Broken promises are heckling the nation.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    June 5, 2013 4:57 p.m.

I'm not a fan of Michelle Antoinette but she handled this perfectly.

I find this hilarious -- "She came right down in my face," Sturtz told The Post. "I was taken aback."

• Shazandra Bakersfield, CA
    June 5, 2013 4:43 p.m.

Rude and unfortunate. But then where did most hecklers learn that behavior?

Not in an ethical, religious or conservative environment or university. Enjoy the fruits of your sowing. It is called "free" speech, right?

As much as I disagree with every snarky, smurking comment, attitude and platform of Mrs. Obama, Laurels said it correctly: Show respect for our leaders or reap the same when you're at the podium of civil discourse.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    June 5, 2013 3:26 p.m.

I guess Blue has a point. As much abuse as the Obamas get subjected to, you'd think they'd be experts in dealing with it by now. But I also wonder just what response to heckling would have satisfied Blue enough to keep him from criticizing - at no risk to himself.

• JDL Magna, UT
    June 5, 2013 2:45 p.m.

Imagine that, a lesbian, chiding ms. obama while promoting same sex whatever at a DNC sponsored event and then ms. obama throws a fit.

• George F Salt Lake , UT
    June 5, 2013 2:19 p.m.

I guess I am surprised that Ms Obama would confront someone who is so pro gay rights.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    June 5, 2013 1:43 p.m.

I am tiring of the tactics used by the gay rights movement. They even abuse the people they call their friends.

• Laurels Sandy, UT
    June 5, 2013 1:26 p.m.

I am not a fan of Michelle Obama. Having said that, she is the First Lady, and was an invited guest who had been asked to give a speech. Basic courtesy in this type of a situation is warranted. Heckling the speaker, as this woman did, was rude and boorish.

One can either try to talk over the heckler, get into a war-of-words with the heckler, wait in silence while the heckler takes over the situation, or tell those who organized the event that either the speaker or the heckler has the floor...their choice.

It is my opinion that Mrs. Obama made the best choice of the options she had.

• DH48 West Jordan, UT
    June 5, 2013 1:10 p.m.

Good for her. I don't believe anyone has a right to stand and heckle someone when they are speaking in that type of forum. It's funny to see her (or her husband) be so politically incorrect in public but some times this PC garbage needs to be thrown out.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    June 5, 2013 1:10 p.m.

Good for her.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    June 5, 2013 1:05 p.m.

I believe in giving credit whenever (and to whomever) it is due.

So I salute Mrs.Obama, who swerved right into the correct lane on this one.

I salute her standing up to and silencing this person, who was out of line on numerous counts.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    June 5, 2013 12:55 p.m.

It takes no talent or brains whatsoever to be a heckler. Anyone can do it if all he wants to do is be heard.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    June 5, 2013 12:40 p.m.

The Obamas don't deal well with being questioned. No surprise here.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    June 5, 2013 12:01 p.m.

I find myself wishing that her husband would get in the faces of a few other people, too. Maybe if he did, we wouldn't have Congress messing things up as badly as they are.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    June 5, 2013 11:54 a.m.

If handled with class, this is fine. But not sure, cause the transcript was edited.