Utah

Body of missing BYU hiker found on Y mountain

Comments

• ARA5353 Idaho Falls, ID
    June 10, 2013 9:49 p.m.

This was a very sad accident and I feel deeply for the family. I have been a rock climber for 45 years although I don't do the really challenging routes anymore. But I still love climbing mountains. However, I have always resisted the lure of doing an "off trail" route unless my hiking partners and I have scouted it ahead of time and traced it on maps and using air photos to look for obstacles and difficult approaches. We look up photos that others have taken and read climbing reports from the area. You can find information on most of the mountain areas in North America because people have been hiking all over them for more than 100 years and many of them have written about their trips. Preparation is one key to safe mountaineering.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    June 9, 2013 12:58 p.m.

He tells his roommates he's going hiking alone on Saturday and doesn't came back, he supposed to be at a meeting on Sunday and doesn't show up and nobody says anything to anybody till Tuesday? The Police leave a ticket on his abandoned car on Sunday because it was left overnight and they don't think that maybe someone went hiking and didn't return? Maybe nobody could have helped him but maybe he fell and was alive so sometime and would have lived if they were looking for him sooner, seems irresponsible to me at the least.

• lavendergrl Provo, UT
    June 7, 2013 12:27 a.m.

My daughter and I hiked the trail into Eagle Pass this afternoon and left flowers. There was a very peaceful feeling there; one I'm not used to. Our deepest condolences from one mountain-loving family to another.

• Rustymommy Clovis, NM
    June 6, 2013 10:38 p.m.

Paryers going up for this family. What a heartbreaking story. Hope his sister fares well on her mission. She certainly has an uphill battle to face and is to be commended for her courage.

• sanpaco Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2013 3:58 p.m.

My very first reaction when I heard he was missing was that he probably went off trail and fell. Sad to say I was right. Stay on the trail.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    June 6, 2013 12:57 p.m.

At times like this it is easy to play the 'what if' game, if only he had not gone hiking alone, if only this, or if only that. But do all the math and all that is remaining is that our sympathies go out to the family in a major and sincere way.

I too have lost family members, and having a vibrant testimony of the gospel and the understanding of eternal life helps, but it does not completely dry the tears.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 6, 2013 10:58 a.m.

My heart goes out to his family. I cannot even fathom the loss of a son/brother.

• Denverite Centennial, CO
    June 6, 2013 9:41 a.m.

Terrible tragedy. We know the family and did some activities with Tyler over the years.

But...if he was hiking off-trail, that's a huge risk. People go skiing here in Colorado off-trail all the time, and every so often, you hear of their deaths on the news. It's dangerous out there, folks. The Scout rule to take a buddy should apply even after you're grown-up.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    June 6, 2013 8:16 a.m.

We often forget how dangerous these mountain can be, they are our backyard, but they are still wild and full of danger. Many areas off trail see very few to no people wander through. It definitely has an appeal and I fully understand this young man's desire to explore mostly unvisited areas.

I often go hiking alone, and often in the dark so that I can be at my destination for the sunrise. That said I never go in the dark on a trail that I am not very familiar with. I go very prepared with extra food and water, GPS with extra batteries, bear spray, and I always tell my wife where I am going and when I should be back. I also stick to the trail and don't climb cliffs, if you stick to the trail the chances of falling down a cliff are extremely small. I am often criticized for going alone, but no one else is willing to wake up at 3:00am with me, and I feel the dangers are minimal when you play it safe and take the proper precautions.

• djk blue springs, MO
    June 6, 2013 8:15 a.m.

what i would like to know is the why didn't they call saturday ? if this young man was doing a tough hike by himself he should of had a locator and a hiking partner.
    i pray this family finds comfort.
    the first rule i was taught when hiking, fishing, swimming, or any outdoor activity 'take a friend along' !

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    June 6, 2013 7:15 a.m.

Oh my goodness. May his spirit shine on his family on earth. Tough stuff here for the family. God bless.

• oddman ,
    June 6, 2013 6:59 a.m.

Man is a puny adversary when he goes up against nature and the forces of nature. We lost a young adult several years ago in this same area as he was depressed and said no one would ever find him. To date he is right.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    June 6, 2013 6:51 a.m.

There are a lot of people who believe taking reckless risks is worth the thrill they get. What these people seem to forget is how much they hurt their families were they to die or become crippled for life.

This ought to be discussed in health class. No doubt a few young people could be reached this way.

• fangflyer LAKE WALES, FL
    June 6, 2013 4:34 a.m.

When I was an undergrad at BYU, I remember a vivid photo on the front page of the Daily Universe showing a hiker who had fallen being removed from Y Mountain. It is a very dangerous place to hike..... Deepest condolences to the family.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    June 6, 2013 12:01 a.m.

Terribly sad loss of life. We have no details, it could be a fall suicide, a health problem disbetis, epilepsy, we don't know. As a general rule you never take off alone, you go in groups and let others know exactly where you are headed. From the valley the line of mountains over Provo looks easy to conquer much less threatening that the range over SL Valley, but they are riddled with caves, shale, poorly maintained trails and other hazards. The rocky portions on the north side of Slate canyon are as dangerous as any I've ever seen because of the loose rock and steep formations, Rock canyon is on the same level, while Y mountain has most of its hazards hidden from the valley view. BYU students see the mountains and go crazy but a kid from Windsor, CO, that's odd , it's normally California, the midwest or the south that sent kids knowing nothing about the dangers of wondering around Utah Valley's mountains and track them with aggressive overconfidence.

• ARA5353 Idaho Falls, ID
    June 5, 2013 10:55 p.m.

This is a sad reminder that the mountains are a dangerous environment. Just as you should never go scuba diving alone, you should never go hiking in the mountains alone. And climbing cliffs without the proper gear and a partner is never a good idea.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2013 10:54 p.m.

Heartfelt sorrow and prayers for the Tyler Mayle family.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    June 5, 2013 9:56 p.m.

@Aggielove - nothing disclosed of what happened to him. So stay tuned. I have been behind the Y mountain two times while attending at BYU and yes you can get lost but I stayed on the trail. Sad to see this happened to anyone.

• lavendergrl Provo, UT
    June 5, 2013 8:41 p.m.

@Aggielove: The trail Tyler took initially wraps back around the south face of the mountain and the terrain he'd talked about exploring is off-trail and into the steeper cliff regions of the adjacent mountain to the south. He wouldn't be visible from campus, but there's no way he's "lost." With the number of bear S&R have encountered that would be far more likely a predatory threat than cats. Or he may have fallen from the cliffs on that mountain. I spoke with an officer at the base of the mountain yesterday. They aren't anticipating recovering Mayle alive.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    June 5, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Snowman. More than I think? Sorry, but I've been raised in the outdoors. I know the seriousness of a lion. It would be rare to have one kill. Deer, elk calves, sheep, goats. But unless this young man was not to strong, it's hard to see a lion doing this. Possible though.

• snowman Provo, UT
    June 5, 2013 5:23 p.m.

Aggielove: A mountain lion is more of a threat than you think.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    June 5, 2013 4:41 p.m.

If his father's cell phone uses the same carrier and is the same model then it could help show where his son's last location was Tuesday when the cell phone battery died. It probably indicates that there was only a signal to one cell tower from the son's cell phone so it cannot be triangulated to pinpoint location, his father's phone can be used to create an arc on the mountain from that cell phone tower. It could also be used to rule out areas without signals.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    June 5, 2013 4:21 p.m.

This seems very fishy. Also. I won't say a mt. Lion isn't the reason, cause it would be rare. But it's possible. He is in eye shot of campus. Very strange for sure.

• marvinxi provo, UT
    June 5, 2013 4:21 p.m.

Having his father's cell phone verifies the technique and that the phone is not out of range. That way they know that if the son's phone was working they could have found it. They took the father's phone into the search area and found it using the "ping" technique, so they can conclude that the son's phone is not working.

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    June 5, 2013 1:59 p.m.

For the tech people out there, how does having his father's cell phone help?