Family

Biracial Cheerios commercial sparks racist comments

Comments

• Jil York, SC
    June 6, 2013 1:41 p.m.

I feel folks should marry as they will, however, the odds seem stacked against bi-racial marriage success.
    In all honesty how many black/white marriages do you know that have survived into their golden years? All that we have seen end in divorce.
    Worth pondering.

• ItsNotOverYet SAINT PETERSBURG, FL
    June 5, 2013 3:07 p.m.

Dear "TOO" of Sanpete Utah I read and thought your comment interesting on a couple of levels. The Cheerios commercial was being screamed about because the images there depicted disturbed some potential cheerios purchasers and the fact that General Mills did not back down and take the spot off of the air I think says alot for the Powers-That-Be at that firm. The images that were in the commercial exist in the round almost anywhere that you go.Tyler Perry's stuff on the other hand is parody,ha-ha-ha stuff if you purchase Tyler Perry Productions' products.And as for agreeing with or not agreeing with the now lameduck President, Barrack Hussein Obama for any reason, that ship has sailed, twice now.And lastly, I would have to say that there are subtle differences between possessing a prejudice, as it were, and being a racist in the United States of America. As well you know the majority culture on the U.S. is as of 2010 comprised as European hybrids.No person of color is truly racist,albeit he or she may be possessed of prejudicial lines of thought.Only governments have lynched white men in America.

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    June 5, 2013 12:12 p.m.

I feel that we should follow the prophet. This is what President Kimball has taught us about interracial marriage.

We are unanimous, all of the Brethren, in feeling and recommending that Indians marry Indians, and Mexicans marry Mexicans; the Chinese marry Chinese and the Japanese marry Japanese; that the Caucasians marry the Caucasians, and the Arabs marry Arabs.

(Spencer W. Kimball, The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, edited by Edward L. Kimball [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1982], 303.)

• Rynn Las Vegas, NV
    June 5, 2013 4:07 a.m.

Most videos uploaded to Youtube are vulnerable to all kinds of inappropriate comments. They could be the sweetest, most innocent videos and they still get nasty remarks. So I'm not surprised that this video has needed to disable comments. The internet has become a place for people to be anonymously hateful.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    June 4, 2013 11:57 p.m.

Just an Observer,

That's nice to hear. Your community sounds a lot like mine. I wasn't really making a comparison with any place else in particular -- more with places I've lived in my 50+ years. Growing up I lived in pretty much white neighborhoods. Elementary, junior high and high schools were all about 90% white. Btw, since you asked, I spent 7 years at BYU (undergrad and law school) and visit Utah at least once a year.

I am very pleased with the diversity in our community. Our cul-de-sac has Filipino, White/Latino, White/Asian, and White and Black families. My son has friends who are Iranian, Hawaiian/Costa Rican, White, Black and Filipino. A nice middle-class community with an elementary school that seems to teach good, patriotic values.

Living here makes me a lot more optimistic for the future than watching the news does. If only I could do something about our crazy left-wing State government . . .

• chinookdoctor PASADENA, CA
    June 4, 2013 8:01 p.m.

I love how people can so discerninglytalk about how ignoring a racist will get them to leave you alone. So, when I was 25 and a racist man tried to physically attack me on the street while calling me an illegal immigrant, if only I had ignored him better he would've left me alone? Or the group of white teenage boys who threw beer cans at me from their car as they sped by me when I was 12 while I stood at a bust stop two blocks from my house. They yelled that I was in "their neighborhood", so what should I have done then? Moved so that I could ignore them? Or the white woman who looked at me in disgust when I was taking a bus from one northeast city to another and said, "why don't you go back to where you came from!" as she walked on the bus. So, all of these were unprovoked attacks, and I can assure you that ignoring these racist people didn't help in the least. It sounds like race is still an issue even though many in the US bury their heads in the sand.

• Mom of Five Orem, UT
    June 4, 2013 8:00 p.m.

As the someday grandmother of biracial children (my daughter has a biracial marriage) this makes me sad. I hope by the time these little future children arrive they won't be subject to prejudice, but maybe that is a pipe dream.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    June 4, 2013 6:45 p.m.

I know very well a bi-racial couple who have been married for many, many wonderful years and have three children. They are the finest, most honest and caring individuals you would want to know. I am proud to call them my friend. It's not always going to be perfect for everyone with color, background, etc. We have to look for the good and let the bad and negative drift to the side. Color does not make a human being less than another.

• djk blue springs, MO
    June 4, 2013 5:01 p.m.

i do not understand what the big deal is with this commercial. it is a commercial showing the young daughter is concerned for her father's heart.
    what needs to be taken seriously are the commercials showing alternate lifestyles, alcohol, male medication, undergarments, be skinny and you are accepted, etc.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    June 4, 2013 2:45 p.m.

@ UtahBlueDevil,

I'm sorry if you have ever had to deal with such ignorance. I was raised in a world that was very racist in nature, but my parents taught us to avoid that scenario and treat people as if they were people.

I think that there are too many people who are needing to find a problem to cherish, and race seems to be an easy one to get on a soap box about. Can't we just say - sure my ancestors are from Scandinavia and so I burn easy and have very pale coloring. Your family comes from Italy and so you skin tone is darker than mine. Your family comes from where ever and so you are blessed with these attributes. And that should be where the discussion ends.

• sanpaco Sandy, UT
    June 4, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Its YOUTUBE!!! Have these people never read the comments section of a YouTube video?

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    June 4, 2013 12:46 p.m.

What century is this? Yes there will always be racism, culturalims, and all sorts of phobias associated with one race or another. Hate is a learned behavior and there are a lot of uneducated uncouth people out there still breading. There are varied degrees of racism too, veiled (usually with the "Im not racist, but…" qualifier), blatant, implied, etc. Oh and to the guy who pulled the Obama card; I agree that you can be against Obama’s policies, but it’s when criticism of Obama turn to ad hominem attacks that we learn the dislikes are about race w/o a doubt. Disagreeing with his policies is one thing, but when people attack him unmercifully w/o even attacking the policies, that’s beyond veiled racism, that’s blatant.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    June 4, 2013 11:24 a.m.

I find it interesting that we can the president of the US comes from a biracial family, but that never gets discussed. A company makes a cereal commercial, and people go nuts. It has to be in the works, but when a gay commercial hits the air, what will people do then?

Pretty sad circumstance today by people on both sides of the issues.

• Badger55 Nibley, Ut
    June 4, 2013 11:11 a.m.

Kayster,
    Couldn't agree more. Comment from Morgan Freeman about Barack Obama:
    'There was no argument about who he is or what he is,' said Freeman.
    America's first Black president hasn't arisen yet.
    He is not America's first Black president - he's America's first mixed-race president.'

Not saying Freeman is racist, but c'mon.
    Racism exists in all races. It depends largely on upbringing and culture.

And, people who claim it is as bad as it has ever been, clearly do not know about segregation. Hasn't been a whites only sign around in a long, long time.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2013 10:46 a.m.

Given the format was YouTube, people were suprised at the racist comment from the trolls? Really?

If YouTube disabled comments on every video that got a negative or hateful comment, there would be no comments on that site anywhere on anything.

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    June 4, 2013 10:16 a.m.

“My husband and I are an interracial couple. He is African American and I am white,” said Tanya Roberson on Cheerios’ Facebook page."

I couldn't help but notice the lack of parallelism. Why not say "He is black and I am white"? Or "He is African American and I am Anglo American"?

I have a hard time keeping up with the politically correct terms for racial description. Like that matters...

• CF Mom Sandy, UT
    June 4, 2013 10:05 a.m.

It is parents and the education they give their children from the beginning that are the key. I was raised to believe that it did not matter if a person's skin color was pink, red, green, yellow, purple, black, blue or white. Color is only a few skin cells deep and underneath is a human, a child of God who has the same hopes and dreams as the next person.

Only when I was an adult did I discover, by asking questions, that my mother was deeply racist, and had made it a goal to not pass those feelings and beliefs to her children. We, as adults and parents, can and do choose what to teach. We can choose to teach higher and better ways than our own prejudices, no matter what its basis.

Learning and growing is not limited to children. As we learn in adulthood, we need to improve our own behaviors and what we teach. This includes that a sweet little girl can have and love her parents and of the color of their skin is completely irrelevant. If that is the conversation that the Cheerios commercial starts then it is a good thing.

• Z South Jordan, UT
    June 4, 2013 9:52 a.m.

This makes me sad and happy at the same time. Sad that we still have to have this conversation, but happy that so many of us are so shocked that we still have to have this conversation.

• Just an Observer Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2013 7:56 a.m.

SoCalChris: Don't know if you've lived in the Salt Lake Valley recently, but you might be surprised at the diversity here as well. In my ward in the southwestern part of the valley-a more "conservative" area, if you will, we have two families with an Asian parent and a Caucasian (including mine), one with a Latin parent and a Caucasian, and one with an African (yes, from Africa!) parent and a Caucasian parent. On my child's sports team, one family has one Brazilian parent, one has a Mexican parent, one has a black parent, and another a Polish parent (admittedly Causcasian). I have a daughter who goes to school in a different part of the valley where she is in the minority for her LDS religion but certainly not in the minority ethnically due to the number of non-Caucasian kids there.

By the way, our family spent a few years in Orange County (which is also not nearly as homogeneous as people like to make out), so I do have a real reference for comparison.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    June 4, 2013 6:46 a.m.

Just published yesterday, and 25 comments already! Prima Facia proof that this topic is still a hot one.
    Over the years, I've become acquainted with a number of mixed race families--some through marriage, some through adoption. Some of them are of races other than a black & white mix. All are trying hard to live decent lives.
    Can't we finally accept one another as fellow human beings?
    As to the commercial, it was a pleasant break from the usual fare we get. Can't we laugh a bit at ourselves without offense? (I can see myself waking up from a nap with a box of cheerios poured over me and wondering what in the world is going on!

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 4, 2013 5:45 a.m.

Y' Guy.... maybe things are worse in SLC.... but I can tell you, things are a whole lot better here in the South then they were 50 years ago. At that time, schools were still segregated, there was a separate University for blacks (NCCU). Blacks could not hold many jobs... Things are still far from perfect.... there are still many wounds left to be healed... but on a whole, the number of people who treat each other with decency far out number those who do not.

There have always been good a decent people. There are many who would have believed differently had they known there were other ways of thinking. I get why things were messed up then. I appreciate the progress that has been made.

What I don't understand is those who still hold to ideas of racial or ethnic segregation. We as a society know better now. Those who hold old ideas do so because they choose to now... not because that is all they know. That part... I agree is worse.... because it is overt.

• Y's Guy Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2013 10:12 p.m.

Mom of 8
    Hyrum, UT
    Are people still really stuck in the 60s?!

There is more overt racism today than in the 60's Mom of 8. I was there in the 60's.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    June 3, 2013 10:12 p.m.

There are a lot of places I would not live very long in walking down the street. I'm wise enough not to. Yea, skin tone is a factor where I walk at night, or day. Trust and respect is earned. It starts with honor.

• Jack Aurora, CO
    June 3, 2013 8:38 p.m.

I was stunned to learn that somehow this had something to do with racism. It's a cute commercial with an adorable little girl. Why make something out of it that isn't there?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 3, 2013 8:27 p.m.

I am sorry... but can someone please explain to me what the point is of the comments that there are racist in all ethnic groups.... this is supposed to mean what? You are stating the obvious that we already know, and acknowledge that fact. Are you trying to rationalize one brand of bad behavior with another? Are you saying it is ok, because others do it? What exactly is the point of these comments?

I am sorry if I have totally missed your point in these comments.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    June 3, 2013 7:49 p.m.

Hate is learned, passed on from one generation to another. It's time we grew up and started treating people for what's inside, not what we see on the outside. That said, I think the younger generations are so much better than the Boomers and what came before on this count. Like anything, once you get to know and work/serve alongside people who look different, you learn how much we have in common.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    June 3, 2013 6:48 p.m.

Sad that people see fit to complain about what I see as a great commercial.

What we pay attention to increases.

The best way to deal with racism is to refuse to pay attention to the racists.

• kbsmith Lees Summit, MO
    June 3, 2013 6:10 p.m.

The commercial was cute, the little girl is adorable. I got the point. Which is all I am sure that was intended. Why do people blow things so out of proportion? Cereal is the issue, not color. Go General Mills!!!

• KikiMandarin Medford, NY
    June 3, 2013 6:09 p.m.

Americans need to chill out! Over-sensitivity is old already! What's next? Dark clouds are in the sky and it's racism? People use this term, "Racism" wayyyyyyy to loosely! I think the Cheerios commercial was awesome! What did I get out of it? Love. Pure Love from a caring Mommy to her bright daughter. And from a sweet little girl thinking of her Daddy! So what's wrong with that? Stop being so negative people!!!!!!!! Be happy and spread the positive energy! Count your blessings and be genuinely happy for others! You'll get it all back ten-fold! Kudos to Cheerios!!!!!

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2013 5:47 p.m.

A black man and white woman get married.
    A company makes a commercial.
    A small few complain because they don't believe a black man and white woman should be married.

Yawn.

People are free to hate it or love it or not care, but I don't honestly see any good coming from feeding this attention. The more you spark a debate, the more people will cement their ideas. The best way to convince a racist to stop hating is to not give them your attention. Walk away, move on. Eventually those who care about worldly things will try to keep up with the world. When you feed their anger, all they do is continue to hate and often more than they did in the first place.

• kayster Dublin, CA
    June 3, 2013 5:21 p.m.

I resent the fact that Star Jones thinks it's a "white only" issue. I know plenty of black people that are as racist as they come...

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    June 3, 2013 5:14 p.m.

Everything is racist in this country.

The princess in "Princess and the Frog" was black for racial sensitivity.

You can't disagree with Obama without being labeled a racist--but disagreeing with Allen West is American.

Why do Tyler Parry's movies and TV shows ONLY have black people (or 99.9% of the cast)?

Black people can call each other the N word without a bat of the eyelash, but as soon as a white person says it, it's racism.

People need to realize that racism is alive--on ALL sides. Black people are racists, white people are racists, Hispanics, Asians, everyone has racism.

But not everything is based on racism. This commercial has black people in it and is labeled racist. If I disagree with the President, I promise it's not based on the amount of melanin his cells produce. Give it a break people. Everything doesn't need to be labeled.

• dlw7 LOGAN, UT
    June 3, 2013 4:59 p.m.

I see a mother who answers her daughter's questions in a kind and loving manner; a little girl who loves and is concerned about her Daddy; and a husband and father who is not quite sure what is going on. I did NOT see color... only the love and concern portrayed. I will contine to love and buy Cheerios!!!

• midvale guy MIDVALE, UT
    June 3, 2013 4:45 p.m.

Let's not forget that people have a right to be for or against whatever they want. You can legislate it all you want but until people's hearts are changed none of it makes any difference. Let's also remember that General Mills makes commercials to promote their products to make money. They knew there would be a sector of the public that would take offense but they obviously think there is a larger sector that will be persuaded to buy their cereal. whether you choose knowingly or unknowingly to involve politics, race, religion or sexuality in your business dealings you will either reap the reward or pay the penalty. We all have a right to choose who we buy from.

• Instereo Eureka, UT
    June 3, 2013 4:41 p.m.

It's sad but I think it reflects the polar political divide we have in our country now. Some people just don't want change. Personally, I think it's about time we recognize either we are all children of God or We the People applies to everyone and quit singling out one group or another to put down.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2013 4:40 p.m.

We can look no further than legalized discrimination practices such as affirmative action to see that not only is discrimination alive and well, its unfortunately encouraged by many in this country.

I personally think discrimination is wrong

• Grundle West Jordan, UT
    June 3, 2013 4:36 p.m.

I thought it was a cute commercial.

" Fortunately, these kinds of comments rarely come from people whom you would really care what they have to say. "

Love it...so true.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2013 4:34 p.m.

I've watched that commercial a few times, but until this article pointed it out, I did not catch that the mother and father were of different races. Had to watch the commercial again just now to verify it. I guess I did not pick up on it because it seemed natural. And now that I do know, it still seems natural. The kid is cute, but I'm still sticking with Corn Flakes.

• dski HERRIMAN, UT
    June 3, 2013 4:28 p.m.

Controversy generates publicity equal more sales to General Mills. So what? Society need to get over this over sensitivity phobia and move on. Some people will always have negative things to say about anything they do not like. Ignoring them is the best thing to do. By highlighting their behavior, it brings the weirdos out to the open. I have seen racism at both sides of the fence. The black community has its share, both to the white folks as well as to those who have darker skin than themselves. Our over sensitivity will divide us for years to come. As a minority, I wish we talk about uplifting issues that will make the American Dream come true for us that are migrating to the GREAT USA. This issue is not newsworthy. Noted and move on. Thank you.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    June 3, 2013 4:27 p.m.

I am blessed to live in a neighborhood in Southern Cal where my kids are surrounded by all races, mixes, religions, etc. Thankfully, they are growing up colorblind.

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    June 3, 2013 4:23 p.m.

I guess since we don't make a big deal of different races in our family, we're surprised that so many people still do. Are people still really stuck in the 60s?!

I can't see a single thing wrong with the commercial. That little girl is absolutely darling! I hope I have a grandchild just like her some day.

• DaveRL OGDEN, UT
    June 3, 2013 4:23 p.m.

Sad but not surprising. In my almost 60 years of life I have never seen the level of racism that I have seen in the last 6 years. We have come so far, but we have so much farther to go.

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2013 4:22 p.m.

This was a great, clever, well done commercial. Made me laugh, but doesn't surprise me that
    there are those who would be offended, but I bet they would be surprised from which side
    the offense is taken.

• Cadillac Man Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 3, 2013 4:20 p.m.

Credit to General Mills....they have a new, nationwide, conversation reinvigorating an old worn out ad theme. Some very clever Cheerios brand development folks have sucked every possible impression out of their campaign. I say great. Conversation makes business and business makes the world go around.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 3, 2013 4:08 p.m.

As the dad of a bi-racial family, I can confirm that this is not an isolated incident. Fortunately, these kinds of comments rarely come from people whom you would really care what they have to say.

But to think families, and worse kids don't have to deal with this.... I wish it were not so.... but some people feel the need to use artificial reason to feel superior than others.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    June 3, 2013 3:48 p.m.

It shouldn't shock anyone... racism is not dead in America. It will take constant vigilance to keep racism from becoming popular again. Look at the neo-fascist movements in Europe.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    June 3, 2013 3:47 p.m.

I wish I could say this surprised me. Unfortunately, it would have surprised me more if there had been no racism. Many look at all we have accomplished since 1964 and the repeal of Jim Crow legislation. But the sad reality is that this is still very much an uphill battle.

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    June 3, 2013 3:39 p.m.

It's hard to believe that Cheerios is breaking new ground when the president of the United States is the son or a white mother and a black father. Maybe one in a million has a problem with that--so what it's time to move on.

• DAVE IN NC HOPE MILLS, NC
    June 3, 2013 3:36 p.m.

you have got to be kidding me, right?