Sports

Commentary: Taysom Hill key to success against tough BYU football 2013 schedule

Comments

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    June 25, 2013 7:47 p.m.

"So, what's different about 2013? How can the Cougars hope to rise up against such a rough slate of opponents?"

Two words: No Riley Nelson

OK, that's 3 words but it's really a case of addition by subtraction. Last year's 8-5 record would've been significantly better with just an average QB who wasn't spotting opposing teams to big leads through unforced turnovers or killing drives with fumbles or missing wide open WR's on 3rd down.

8-5 very easily could've been 11-2 or better last year.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    June 9, 2013 3:47 p.m.

Utah is expected to win 3 games this year... BYU has an over- under at 8 wins...

Smart money says, take the under on Utah and the over on BYU...

• oddman ,
    June 5, 2013 4:25 p.m.

The unknown awaits us all. Isn't it exciting to have all the intangibles and unknowns which gives us the joy of speculation. I anticipate every season, win, lose or draw I find it one of my favorite leisure time activities. Go Hill, Anae, Mendenhall et al

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    June 5, 2013 10:27 a.m.

"2012 Total Defensel Rankings:
    BYU-#3
    Utah- #36

2012 Top 25 Opponents:
    BYU-5
    Utah-2

Anything else? Didn't think so.."

The only hting I'd add is BYU beat a Top 25 opponent. Utah did not. But, Chris and AZ are just here to stir people up. Most of the Utah fans I've come into contact with aren't like them.

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    June 5, 2013 7:24 a.m.

The article talks about the difference between last year and this year...two words...taysom hill...hopefully at the end of the season we are not whistfully wondering out loud about two other words...Jake Heaps. My point is the real difference will come down to coaching as BYU is stocked with qbs. The question is will the right qb be on the field? The coaches are ultimately responsible and I hope Bronco gets out of the way of offensive success and let's Anae do his job.

• Sandyclaws Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2013 7:04 a.m.

Chris B:

How many comments did you post on-line in Colorado newspapers? We Cougar fans have moved on, but we know who your biggest rival still is.

I will be surprised if the Utes win more than four games this year.

Looking forward to a three-year face rubbing.

• Ahbye Logan, UT
    June 4, 2013 10:58 p.m.

@hochmut The Conference Bowl is in Logan this year.

• oldtimeftballer Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2013 7:38 p.m.

You fans are so funny...no wonder why people laugh at both programs.

BYU finally plays more than one tough opponent in a year and suddenly it's "the hardest schedule in program history"...duh. Not as many cupcakes. Welcome to what real teams do.

Utah. Please. You will be lucky to win 6 games as the PAC is way superior to you now. Stanford, Oregon, UCLA and ASU are easy picks against you.

Bottom line= State of Utah better tune in to High School games as the College programs are mediocre to poor in a national scale.

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 4, 2013 4:56 p.m.

AZUTE,

"TH, in limited-action, has ALREADY proven to be injury-prone and byu hasn't even remotely proven they've done anything, whatsoever, to improve their utterly inept o-line."

First of all TH has had one freak injury. I would not classify that as being injury prone. injury prone would be Jordan Wynn. One injury in 3 games doesn't hold up.

The offensive line last year was horrible, but everyone was injured. That being said the to say they have done nothing to improve the offensive line is laughable. They hired a new o-line coach as well as brought in 4 JC transfers to fill the holes. Do some research before commenting. O-line will be a completely different animal this year. We won't know how good they will be, that is true, but we have definately done alot to shore up those problems.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    June 4, 2013 3:48 p.m.

Aggie84

I'm not sure to whom you are referring, but from what I've seen most BYU fans recognize USU is no longer a patsy and this year's game will be tough. Winnable, but tough.

You should direct your ire towards Ute fans, who all seem to assume this year's opening game in RES will be a cakewalk. In fact, I predict the Utes will be so focused on their Bowl Game -- aka the Holy War -- that they will completely overlook the Aggies, just like they did last year.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    June 4, 2013 1:36 p.m.

Nelson was awful and should have been benched until he could absolutely prove in a practice he was 100%. His claiming that he was physically capable and Doman's acceptance of his continuing claim caused most of our losses. Yet, game after game he showed he was not telling the truth and Doman continued to believe in him. Nelson had to be at 100% to be effective and most of the season he was maybe functioning at 40% or less.

The plays that were sent in for Hill did not allow for many passing opportunities. I expect this to change this year.

I am looking forward to seeing if BYU can step up to the plate this year and achieve.

• Hochmut West Jordan, UT
    June 4, 2013 12:59 p.m.

WisCoug; Your list of top teams that Cougars would stumble with is very good...but I have two words for you that make a huge difference: Riley Nelson; He is not the QB this year. Utah game: Cougars at home win going away and the Utes will stew in their juices for two years; Boise State: again, we have them at home and as I recall they didn't score an offensive TD on BYU in Boise; Wisconsin: New head coach...will be close and I'd give Cougs 50/50 shot there; ND: They are a mess and Cougars were the better team last year, just didn't have the better QB--now ND is looking for one themselves; Texas: close game at Austin last year and now they are on the Cougar's field--I do recall the last time the Longhorns came to Provo the Cougars put a 47 point spanking on them; And finally, Utah State in the Conference Bowl: BYU never loses on Friday Night on Conference Weekend in Provo--just doesn't occur; I could see BYU going 5-1 with this stretch of games. Keep Taysome Hill healthy and why not 6-0;

• SigmundF Beaverton, OR
    June 4, 2013 12:46 p.m.

I don't believe that Taysom Hill is the most important factor in the success of BYU's offense. The most important factor is THE BACKUP QB... because Hill will get injured. It is the nature of the running-QB offense. Hill will probably miss at least two games. So the strength of the backup QB is what will really be the difference.

• ekute Layton, UT
    June 4, 2013 12:12 p.m.

"things can get back closer to the traditional normal."

Things are, currently at their traditional normal, between byu and Utah.

56-34-4 lol.

Go Utes.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    June 4, 2013 12:03 p.m.

I don't expect a great year from BYU. Bronco has been very poor (I can't emphasize that "very poor" enough) in transitioning quarterbacks. Lavell struggled with it, but Bronco is a joke--they haven't had a stable starting quarterback for 4 years. Part of this is because Bronco is too defensive minded and treats/rotates his quarterbacks (and kickers for that matter) like defensive linemen. That's a huge no no. It will be interesting to see Anae take the offense back. As I understand it Anae basically told Bronco he'd come back on conditions of complete control of the offense. That should help some. Bronco seems to do okay as defensive coordinator. BYU's "best defense ever" didn't produce many turnovers and almost always gave the ball back to the offense inside their own 20 yard line and they got tired at the end of tough games (partially because the offense was terrible). I'm expecting a year a little better than last year. Something like 9-4 or even 8-5, (same as last year) with the tougher schedule seems reasonable, with a lame bowl game loss.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    June 4, 2013 10:59 a.m.

It is going to be such a breath of fresh air to have September finally get here and get this next rivalry game played. Now that BYU has a real offensive coordinator, things can get back closer to the traditional normal.
    BYU will again start asserting it's in-state dominance after a temporary absence. That will finally force Chris B, AZUTE1 and other similar Ute trolls back under the bridge they come out from whenever there's an article about the Y.

To tell you the truth, I'm more concerned about the up and coming USU Aggies than the fading Utes, who had stoop to hiring a retired coach who was fired from his last job and had no other job options, as their OC (if not in actual title). The Aggies have been handling both of their southern in-state opponents very competitively lately and are starting to get more than their share of wins in those games. Don't overlook them.

Anyone with a sense of objectivity can feel it in the air. This really will be BYU's year!

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    June 4, 2013 10:34 a.m.

@kaysvillecougar
    For the sake of football and football fans in general I hope your predictions for BYU and utah are correct but they are more than likely too generous for both schools. Both have tough schedules but if and I repeat if BYU can improve on the offensive side of the ball and the defense can compete similarly than last year then BYU has an excellent chance at a dream season. Obviously utah has the chance at a dream season as well but I feel it is far less likely. It will be interesting to see the comments come the BYU-utah game followed later by the end of the season. Due to my disliking of utah far more than my disliking of BYU I hope that BYU has a drastically better season than utah and that utah fans will just keep their mouths shut. Same for BYU fans. A couple good years does not put you on par with the big boys of the SEC and PAC 10.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    June 4, 2013 10:15 a.m.

Mr. Nelson should have pulled himself out when he had a cracked rib.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    June 4, 2013 8:21 a.m.

The last two years we had better quarterbacks not playing than the one we played. Will things change?

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    June 4, 2013 8:05 a.m.

Utah Fan: Please do not complain about how tough your schedule is anymore. You asked for it, now you got it. Now live up to your promise or top telling us how your schedule is so much harder than ours.

BYU Fan: While it remains acceptable to be excited about the new schedule because it has to be rebuilt year after year, lets not be boastful This is still not as exciting as Utah's is year in and year out (and we all know it). We would all gladly jump into an AQ conference if we could.

Mr. B and the like: Quit pretending the BYU/UT game is not a rivalry - fine smack us for the losses or talk real football (or even brag about your PAC 12ness) but for the love of Pete please stop acting like you look forward to the "Big Game" with Colorado.

You lame comments about not caring about the rivalry not only reveal how much you do care about the game but prove the old adage "The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference." If you are indifferent move on over to the very exciting Utah/CO web pages.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 4, 2013 7:22 a.m.

Anybody remember who the college golfer poster from Texas was? Then there was navel vet. Now there's azute.

Hmmm

Back to the article, they say the best defense is an offense, and I think if the "new" offense can score three or more touchdowns in any game, the defense can keep us within winning distance.

Of course, three touchdowns...

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    June 4, 2013 1:08 a.m.

@ Who am I

Here's my prediction: BYU 9-3 and Utah 4-8.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    June 4, 2013 12:14 a.m.

Taysom Hill lacks a lot of game experience but I like his make up and athleticism if he bounces back from the knee injury and picks up the new offense.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    June 4, 2013 12:12 a.m.

This is a no brainer. A stand out QB is central to the success of most football teams in college and the pros. BYU is not the only program (far from it) the will need solid QB play in 2013 to win.

I look no further than the Utes in this regard. Utah's first two years in the PAC 12 was more encouraging to me than most feel it was. Bad QB options were Utah's downfall. They showed me they can play with the PAC after going 8-5 in the first year with a no name (Hayes) from Ohmaha at QB after Wynn went down. In year two Whittingham gambled and sunk the team when playing the freshman (Wilson) last year over the reliable but limited Jon Hayes. That was the main reason Utah had a poor second season in the PAC 12. And oh yeah, Wynn went down AGAIN.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    June 4, 2013 12:06 a.m.

1 other thing, even though Utah has had better recruiting classes (according to the pundits) it has not helped them much in the Pac 12. I do help Utah does well, (I know a Coug fan rooting for their rivals), but it makes the rivalry game even better. Utah needs to start winning again because the BCS wins are holding about as much weight as BYU's national championship almost 30 years ago. The recruiting will lose steam because of mediocrity.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    June 3, 2013 11:59 p.m.

As I said 2 years ago when Utah was accepted to the Pac 10.2, they would be cellar dwellers most every year, maybe win the south division once every 6-8 years and then maybe win the Pac championship every other time (12-16 years). You heard it here first, after 2 more losing seasons and no bowl games for Utah, Hill will fire Kyle W. after the 2014-2015 season. RES will be half full and Utah will be back to where they were in the 80's and 90's. Forgotten nobody's! Beat your chest Ute fans about being in the Pac 12, but the writing is on the wall. Beating BYU will be the only thing you will have to brag about!

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    June 3, 2013 11:12 p.m.

Simply amazing, the Aggies are not considered a difficult opponent for the Y. A team rated at 16th in the nation and one the highest rated qbs in the nation with a returning front 5 on the offensive line. Simply amazing, but predictable.

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    June 3, 2013 10:37 p.m.

Every defensive player that knows, about the injury, that has a shot at him, will be driving their helmet right on that knee.
    I hope Taysom survives all the contact that will be coming his way.
    He was so hard to defend when he ran last season.
    It will be interesting to see if he has the same speed/moves he showed last season.
    It will also be interesting to see him pass the ball, maybe to the TE or RB; quick reads to help him get some confidence as well as avoid getting sacked.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 3, 2013 10:35 p.m.

I agree next years schedule is a major upgrade from the past couple of years (and be yond); however, after looking at it I don't believe it is nearly as difficult has I first thought. Nevada and Houston had a couple really good years (probably when they were scheduled by the Y) but the past two years they have been very mediocre! And now Notre Dame has lost their starting QB.
    I know a couple publications are out - but I have not looked for a strength of schedule comparison. I know Phil Steele's will be out in about 2 weeks. Let's test our football knowledge and test our biases! I predict the Y's schedule will be rated somewhere near the 45th most difficult (2 years ago it was in the mid-nineties) and I believe Utah's will be some 10 to 15 places higher. There it is! I would love to see some cougars predictions before the publications are released!!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    June 3, 2013 9:28 p.m.

AZUTE:
    GIVE IT A REST...you're making the same lame statements over and over and over, and your inability to give BYU ANY credit for anything and downplaying the obvious talent and ability of Taysom Hill just shows what a blind Utah homer you are. It's getting tired and old. Try making new comments or actually getting out of your crimson bubble every once in a while. I bleed BYU blue but I can still compliment Utah for great BCS seasons in 04 and 08, and compliment them for their research and the fine academic institution they are, and I've stated how I believe they deserve to be in the PAC 12 because they DO. When you can't see truth and reality and constantly spew the same ineffectual drivel it discredits anything you have to say in the future. Try and see things as they are, not as you make believe them to be. It's ute fans like you that give Utah fans in general a bad reputation when most of them I know are classy and sensible.

• Wingnut1 USA, UT
    June 3, 2013 8:15 p.m.

Chris B,
    "Former" Rivalry in Utah's case?

Tell that to all of the Utah fans that stormed the field three times to beat their "little" brothers. Whenever my real older brothers beat up on me they didn't ever celebrate. If we truly our your little brothers and the rivalry is dead, then why storm the field three times?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 3, 2013 8:00 p.m.

@u 90

But SOS is decided by the polls, and those polls are subject to human error and bias according to utah "fans". I know you guys want to try to have it both ways but you constantly fail in your attempts to do so. I do enjoy the pre-season excuse making you guys engage in, it simply tells me that down deep you know it is going to be a bad one in salt lake.

LOL!

• U 90 Corona, CA
    June 3, 2013 6:45 p.m.

@Black & Blue "Anything else? Didn't think so.."

Actually yes, you forgot to mention SOS.

• BYU sports on TV in Missouri Lebanon, MO
    June 3, 2013 5:25 p.m.

Though it is true that BYU has a tough schedule, Win/Lose, the games will be entertaining as Taysom Hill is a major stud. I am looking forward to seeing what Anae puts together for an offensive mix. Go Cougars!!!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 3, 2013 5:20 p.m.

Azute

Well if there was ever a person to identify an injury prone QB it could be a Ute fan... ie... Wynn. But unfortunately you have a wrong diagnosis.

Sorry but failing to identify an appropriate time for spiking the ball and some miscues from the sideline hardly qualify Taysom as being injury prone. That was inexperience and stupidity.

Now if you want a prime example of being injury prone and mixed with coaching stupidity look no further than these past three seasons in Uteville.

And before you mention Riley...
    It would appear he was just too stubborn and selfish to take himself out.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    June 3, 2013 4:24 p.m.

AZUTE1

2012 Total Defensel Rankings:
    BYU-#3
    Utah- #36

2012 Top 25 Opponents:
    BYU-5
    Utah-2

Anything else? Didn't think so..

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    June 3, 2013 3:23 p.m.

"BYU faces the most brutal schedule in Cougar history as it will play against the likes of Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Texas and Boise State. It will be the first time in program history that BYU can say it has a strength of schedule comparable to teams in automatic qualifying conferences."

Yet, it pales in comparison to UTAH's 2013 mid-season 8-game stretch.

Also, byu's "dominant" D did much of their damage against WAC bottom-feeders and lost 7 starters, to boot. A balanced-0 which could also pass the ball like OSU's completely blew them up and did so on their homefield. ND didn't have their starting QB [although they did rush up-and-down the field on byu's D, with complete EASE] and BSU was breaking-in a virtually brand-new O. Furthermore, UTAH had a bunch of key-starters out, including JWIV, yet their O still managed to put-up 17-PTS on them.

TH, in limited-action, has ALREADY proven to be injury-prone and byu hasn't even remotely proven they've done anything, whatsoever, to improve their utterly inept o-line. And wasn't Anae previously run-off for being an epic-failure?

• Denver Brad Highlands Ranch, CO
    June 3, 2013 2:20 p.m.

If he was good enough for Jim Harbaugh to recruit him, he's good enough for me.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    June 3, 2013 2:05 p.m.

Go Cougs! I hope fans can stay behind BYU, Mendenhall, and Holmoe even if things are rough this season, this is what we've been waiting for in independence! Let's hope BYU does well this year, that both sides of the ball can execute well. Go Cougs!

• Monk Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 3, 2013 1:50 p.m.

Lol, I think Chris B just troll'd a bunch of folks.

I'm a Ute fan and I hope Taysom Hill does well (except once in 2013):). He seems like doesn't have the same issues between the ears that Jake Heaps struggled with. He has a cannon for an arm and all the right physical attributes. He should be good.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    June 3, 2013 1:46 p.m.

Although I do think that Taysom will be a game changer for the offense this season, I wouldn't say he is the difference between doing well and flopping against the toughest schedule in BYU history. The difference will be Anae.
    The offense has the most talented RB, WR, TE, and QB groups I have ever seen in Provo. With the bull rush for O-Line recruits in the 2013 class, the O-Line should be much stronger as well. But none of that will matter if the OC cant field an aggressive game plan and put points on the board.
    It's unfortunate that we will never know what potential Jake Heaps or even Riley Nelson would have had if Anae would have stayed at BYU. The article pointed out that against good competition, Nelson could not complete a pass over 20 yards, but that was more due to the play-calling. Doman insisted on running bubble screens, short slant patterns, and the option. And when it was ineffective he either refused or failed to adjust his gameplan.

If the defense can continue being dominant, and the offense can elevate its play to match it. Watch out!

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    June 3, 2013 1:19 p.m.

Re: Chris B

You better start worrying about our little brothers up North on the hill. The little brothers that you root for return 6 offensive and 6 defensive players this year, which is the least in the PAC12. Our little brothers play up North get to play Oregon and Stanford this year as well.

I suggest you start trying to pump up the Utes instead of ignominiously trying to cut down the Cougars. If you do that, you probably will contribute something of value to our little brothers up North. You will feel better too.

I hope you have a great day.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 3, 2013 12:43 p.m.

Should be fun.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    June 3, 2013 12:35 p.m.

Edit: Chris was talking about BYU-USU, not Utah-USU, so ignore the USU comment.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    June 3, 2013 12:18 p.m.

Chris, it's amusing to see your obsession with BYU continues unabated.

Then again, when most pundits are predicting the Utes will miss a bowl and finish in the bottom half of the PAC-12 for the second straight season, it's not surprising you'd rather talk about BYU.

The real question this season is, will the Utes win more than one of their first 6 games? And keep in mind this is what they face before they even leave the state of Utah (the USU game is in RES, not Logan):

Utah State
    Weber State
    Oregon State
    at BYU
    UCLA
    Stanford

After likely going 2-4 or 1-5 during that stretch, this is what the second half looks like:

at Arizona
    at USC
    Arizona State
    at Oregon
    at Washington State
    Colorado

No wonder some websites are predicting a 3-9 season for the Utes.

• WisCoug MOUNT HOREB, WI
    June 3, 2013 11:54 a.m.

@Chris B
    "...I'd count your blessings if you guys win ONE out of:

Utah
    Boise
    Texas
    Notre Dame
    Wisconsin
    Utah State

Texas is probably too much for BYU, there is no shame in that.

Wisconsin went to the Rose Bowl last year after finishing 3rd in their division (behind ineligible Penn State and Ohio State), lost an all-time great in Monte Ball, and are familiarizing themselves with a brand new coach.

Utah State is also getting to know somebody new and showed last year that being the better team overall is not enough to guarantee a win.

ND is not better this year than last (lost their QB and their all-american LB) and were losing to BYU in the 4th.

Boise was winnable on the road and will be in Provo this year.

Utah is a push (it almost always is) and it is likely that both teams will be coming off losses of significant size (BYU vs Texas and Utah vs Oregon State).

I am not convinced 0 is more likely than 3 (not saying BYU will win 3, just that it is as reasonable a prediction as 0).

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    June 3, 2013 11:36 a.m.

Lots of IF's in this article. An unproven QB with a weak OL and below to average running backs and TE's. Doman may be glad he's outta there...

• jonnyboy Orem, UT
    June 3, 2013 11:33 a.m.

As a Utah fan, I have to say that I think Hill has a formidable skill set. His athleticism is obvious. If he can demonstrate even moderate passing skills I think he will be dangerous. I am honestly concerned about Hill breaking out. We (the U) got owned last years by QB's that could extend and make plays with their legs. Unlike Christ B (who I doubt is a real U fan) I am not ready to chalk up a rivalry win.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    June 3, 2013 11:29 a.m.

Thank you for acknowledging the weak schedules of the past and hopefully they are behind us. While the strongest yet, it is still middle of the pack. Some teams play Wisconsin, Ohio state, Michigan state, Michigan, notre dame every year.

• Commenter88 Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 3, 2013 11:23 a.m.

Reporter: This is the first time that BYU can say it has strength of schedule to teams in automatic qualifying conferences? Really? Please inform me of any team that had a harder schedule in the Big East or even the ACC as qualifying conferences. There is a big difference between the SEC,PAC-12, and the rest.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2013 11:18 a.m.

With a .200 win percentage against ranked teams, 3 straight losses to big brother, and something like a 1-11 record last 3 years against your only 12 respectable opponents, I'd count your blessings if you guys win ONE out of :

Utah(nope, not happening. Utah seniors get the perfect 4-0 sweep, how embrarrasing)
    Boise
    Texas
    Notre Dame
    Wisconsin
    Utah State

With the Utah state game in Logan, they have the edge in that game. byu won't stand a chance against any of the others.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2013 11:15 a.m.

I wonder what it will feel like for byu 2013 graduating senior class to be a perfect 0-4 against rival Utah?

I wonder if the recent domination in the rivalry("former" rivalry in our case) has any correlation to Utah winning the recruiting battle for the 3rd year in a row.

I'm glad our seniors wont know what it feels like to be 0-4 against our rivals. Heck, our 2013 seniors wont know what it feels like to ever lose to their former rival. I guess we did lose to Colorado, so we do know what it feels like to lose to our rivals.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    June 3, 2013 11:14 a.m.

BYU is well-stocked at quarterback, but don't be too surprised if an equally talented, but less experienced QB starts for BYU vs. Virginia. It will depend largely on how quickly Taysom recovers from his season-ending knee injury in 2012. Not too worry, BYU has a very capable QB ready to step in if Taylor isn't quite ready at the beginning of the season.