Opinion

Topic of the day: Farewell Michele Bachmann

Comments

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    June 2, 2013 8:43 a.m.

@patriot 10:07 a.m. May 31, 2013

Patriotic people of faith love her . . .

-----------------------------------

I am a patriotic person of faith (LDS). I beieve that capitaism, subject to reasonable controls, is the correct economic path to follow. If you beieve attempting to impose fascism, as Michelle tried to do, is patriotism then you have every right to do so. I do not.

And, by the way, neither President Reagan nor Senator Goldwater ("Mr. Conservative" who defined and estabished conservatism in the 1960s and was considered to be on the far right extreme at that time) would have a prayer of making it throught a nomination process conrolled by the far right extremists of today -- both of them would be called "RINO" and rejected.

Your comment is wrong.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    May 31, 2013 4:22 p.m.

@patsy

"...Patriotic people of faith love her...".

I agree.

I would love to see her as the face/voice of the Republican Party FOREVER!

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    May 31, 2013 2:43 p.m.

I saw a montage of insipid things she said. She represents in some ways what plagues the tea party in some ways. She's an intellectual light weight and we dodged a bullet that she didn't get traction in the Republican race for Presidency.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2013 12:53 p.m.

@Mark B
    "Bachmann didn't even show up for the job she was elected to do. Her attendance record was 3rd worse in the entire House"

I am no Bachmann fan at all (heck I was going to joke that her not being around is a public service) but in fairness to her she was running a presidential campaign so it's not like not-campaigning was an option.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 31, 2013 10:40 a.m.

" So what does it say Joe for modern day conservatives that their banner bearers are crazy, almost to a person"

It means that they wont win national elections.

I do not judge the whole GOP by the views of the farthest right. Just like it is unreasonable to judge Democrats by the left wing of the party.

While I disagree with Ted Cruz on just about everything (as he is too far right for me),
    at least he is articulate and avoids the "crazy" of people like Bachmann.

I consider myself a moderate. I could potentially vote for a Christie.
    He is issue based and reasonable.

Bachmann, Gohmert, Palin? Those are off the deep end.

But, as shown by comments even on this article, some people love those who are short on substance but long on partisan snipping.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 31, 2013 10:21 a.m.

re:one old man

Something tells me you would be saying the same thing to Thomas Payne, George Washington , and all the other constitution loving patriots of years past. Liberals like yourself see those who fight for freedom and the constitution as "obstructionists" .... obstructing the way and move to your Communist utopia. My message to you and all all your American hating followers on the left - freedom is not free and it doesn't come from a government welfare check either.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 31, 2013 10:07 a.m.

Patriotic people of faith love her - liberal socialist's hate her.I hate to see Michelle go - she is one of the few patriots left in congress. Unlike her liberal associates on the other side of the isle she never sold her soul to Satan ..so to speak. Also unlike some of the purple republicans Michelle kept with her Reagan like 'bold colors'.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    May 31, 2013 7:56 a.m.

"Conservative values are not crazy ideas.". So what does it say Joe for modern day conservatives that their banner bearers are crazy, almost to a person (and I include here those who simply want to shut down government)?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    May 31, 2013 7:04 a.m.

Bye-bye, Michelle. No one will miss you.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 31, 2013 4:58 a.m.

Note to Conservatives.

Conservative values are not crazy ideas.

It is not necessary to anoint looney people to be the spokesperson for the movement.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    May 30, 2013 8:19 p.m.

Want to know what says it all?

Republicans? Are rejoicing. Judging by their Reaction you would swear that Reagan had been resurrected, won another election, privatized ss, outlawed green energy, and declared war on Iran!

Democrats? Many are just too busy giggling. Some are sad. She was one of our greatest weapons against the GOP. Too bad she had to go. I was really hoping for her to screw up the 2016 election. All well. There's always hopes for Palin!

Thanks tea party! Michele won more votes for the democrats than could have ever been imagined! Thank you for all the votes and fantastic jokes for late night tv!!! I will never forget you!

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    May 30, 2013 6:45 p.m.

Too bad,
    I was rooting for her to win the GOP nomination last go around.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    May 30, 2013 6:26 p.m.

I will never forget her "rebuttal" to the President's State of the Union speech, the one she gave to the wrong camera. It was far weirder and more hilarious than anything on SNL. As for her leaving, HOORAY!!!

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    May 30, 2013 5:24 p.m.

Good riddance

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 30, 2013 5:13 p.m.

One of the best ever, that's for sure! I really hope she and Palin run for president in 2016. They would be such a blessing for this country.

• Owen Heber City, UT
    May 30, 2013 4:49 p.m.

We can only hope Lee and Chaffetz ignore the writing on the wall, continue to follow in Bachmann's footsteps and suffering the same fate.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 30, 2013 4:42 p.m.

Why is this of interest to anybody???

She's just a politician. Politicians come, and politicians go... that's the way it's supposed to be.

Washington agreed. Politician shouldn't be a lifetime thing. Not every politician needs to be like Tedd Kenedy (how owned his office). He was re-elected even after he was incapacitated and couldn't function. I think it's good when politicians eventually leave political life and prove they can be successful at something else. Anything else. She's moving on... that's not a big deal.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    May 30, 2013 3:37 p.m.

Bachmann didn't even show up for the job she was elected to do. Her attendance record was 3rd worse in the entire House, and one of the two beneath her was Gabby Giffords! Are there any official odds out on her next job coming from Fox News? If Palin's deal is any indication, she'll soon be in seven figures while looking for sympathy.