Sports

BYU combines men's, women's track programs

Comments

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 29, 2013 3:59 p.m.

SLCWatch, I agree, I'd like to know what the coaching advantage will be. It says, as of now, that the NCAA allows a coach for each event. Surely that can't mean each and every race/field event, as there would potentially be more than 20 coaches.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2013 8:27 a.m.

The article states (Before editing) that the teams get three coaches as seperate teams but doesn't say how many combined teams get. What the advantage is in combining is hinted at but it doesn't say specifically if they get the same number of combined coaches, more or if they get graduate assistants. What is the advantage? I don't doubt there is an advantage, I think the writer could have explained the advantage better.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 28, 2013 10:24 p.m.

This seems like a real slight to Coach Robison, perhaps the most successful coach of any sport in BYU history. Why wasn't he selected as head coach? Was he offered?

• Sweater In Rafters Franklin, IN
    May 28, 2013 3:20 p.m.

Wonder if they will combine basketball teams also???

Kidding....just kidding....

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    May 28, 2013 1:38 p.m.

My daughter is a sholorship javelin thrower for the BYU women's program. She was a state champion in high school throwing over 150 ft. While at BYU, she has been coached by a very kind,nice gentleman,who HAS NEVER THROWN JAVALIN! He seemed very supportive but D-1 track and field requires much more than that. I hope that this combination of coaching with the men's program, will ensure that women/men are coached by people who have specific experience in the events they coach. Our family loves BYU! We were excited to send our daughter there to compete. It has been frustrating to say the least. Im very happy for this change and excited for the chances it will allow my daughter.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    May 28, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Well this is a surprise? I thought Robison was the Head Track coach, His Dad Clarence's sucessor and Eyestone was the distance coach?