Sports

Utah Jazz: Jeff Hornacek hired to be Phoenix Suns' head coach, according to reports

Comments

• Don't Feed the Trolls Salt Lake City, UT
    May 28, 2013 10:56 p.m.

On a positive note, now Corbin is once step closer to being the best/smartest coach with the Jazz.

• bruce1 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    May 28, 2013 7:00 p.m.

Didn't see what doug 10 saw. I think that ak47 improved greatly while being helped by Jeff H. CJ Miles is the same or worse with his new team, Raja Bell being long in the tooth didn't get along with Corbin, Price was cut from Portland and didn't light the world on fire in Phoenix. Hayward improved greatly, No I think that the blame falls on the front office and Corbin.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    May 28, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Asta la vista baby.

CJ Miles was a shooting and scoring machine when he arrived in Utah.

Raja Bell had a reputation for killing other teams with threes.

Ronnie Price was scoring champion beofre Utah Jazz.

AK went from 16ppg average to 8.7 ppg when Hornacek arrived.

Utah Jazz were #29 in 3 point shooting under Hornacek.

Jeff is going to Arizona to continue his track record....so good to still be in Utah.

• doc33 Las Vegas, NV
    May 27, 2013 11:27 a.m.

Bringing in Hornacek was a good move for Phoenix. Jeff has all the qualifications you'd want in a young coach: former NBA player, smart guy (academic All-American at ISU), and also, the son of a coach; he was really meant to be a coach at this level.

But...this is not a good group in Phoenix. All coaches need leadership from key players, like Sloan had with Stockton and Malone. It was really lightening in a bottle for Jerry. Without that situation, I don't think he'd been successful, and unfortunately, I kind of see a parallel between Phoenix and Jerry's first job in Chicago. Jerry got fired after a couple of seasons, and that very likely will happen to Hornacek as well.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    May 27, 2013 8:48 a.m.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Jazz hire Karl Malone to replace Hornacek. With some young bigs like Kanter and Favors, and probably some new young bigs on the way, I can't see how it couldn't help to have one of the best players in NBA history showing them the ropes. Karl wasn't a high lottery pick coming into the NBA, but was a hard worker that improved his game every year. He also let players like Ostertag know it when they would come to training camp out of shape and I can't see how that hard work attitude and the skills Karl acquired as he learned with his years in the NBA couldn't but help the young players we have now. One problem is I don't think Karl is a big Greg Miller fan ( and I don't blame him for that) so maybe he would decline the job.

• VeraLouise Sandy, UT
    May 27, 2013 6:17 a.m.

Best wishes to Jeff in this new career path. Hate to see him go. He is a classy guy and should do well. I worry that he seems so easy-going, I can't picture him yelling at a player or referee.

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 26, 2013 8:57 p.m.

I wish him the best... but would prefer that he was coaching in Utah.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    May 26, 2013 8:04 p.m.

Now all we need is a team.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 26, 2013 7:45 p.m.

Can't believe it took Hornacek this long to get away from this ownership group. Every astute employee knows when they're working for a loser of a company...and the Jazz are that kind of loser.

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    May 26, 2013 5:48 p.m.

Well if his results as AK's shooting coach are any indication, we shouldn't have to worry about the Suns anytime soon. I have seen nothing to indicate Hornacek is any great coaching talent.

Unfortunately so far, I would have to say the same about Corbin.

Lets hope with a fresh group of guys instead of a roster full of free-agent veterans we will see Corbin get a clue and install a commitment to defense.

Pacers, Memphis, Spurs, and Heat...all good play defense.

Yoo-hoo Corbin, are you listening?

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    May 26, 2013 5:48 p.m.

Corbin will never win a playoff series, let alone a playoff game as jazz coach.

I wish Greg Miller cared half as much about the Jazz as Larry did.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 26, 2013 5:31 p.m.

Outstanding news!!!!

• CKJ1 Murray, UT
    May 26, 2013 5:31 p.m.

Let's make him our Head Coach and send them the rest of our coaching staff to them, we would be way better off. Then maybe guys like Demare Carrol would play instead of not so marvelous Marvin Williams who got worse with every game.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    May 26, 2013 5:12 p.m.

The staid and conservative Jazz show once again they are unwilling to take the necessary risks if they really want to win a championship.

Staying loyal to old and tired had gotten them nowhere.