Quantcast

Comments about ‘Q-and-A: Answers to common questions about the Common Core State Standards Initiative’

Return to article »

Published: Friday, May 24 2013 2:43 p.m. MDT

Comments
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Most recommended
CenterforPublicEducation
Alexandria, VA

We hate to quibble with an otherwise nicely succinct overview of the common core standards in the Deseret News, but they make a common, but wrong assumption: by calling for more nonfiction reading, the new standards could mean that students will read less literature. This would only be true if all school reading happened in the English classroom. That’s not the intent. It also ignores reality. Reading, writing, speaking and listening are vehicles for learning regardless of the subject area. By defining specific reading standards for different subjects, the result should be more reading across the curriculum, not less literature.

Winglish
Lehi, UT

Thank you Center for Public Education. Finally, someone who gets it! The Common Core in no way reduces the amount of literature that should be read in English class. There are no literacy standards in the Common Core that are exclusively for English. The literacy standards are specifically named as being for English language arts, history, social studies, science, and all technical subjects. The gist of the percentage split is that reading should be taking place in every classroom. What is read in English class should only make up about 30% of what is read by any given student during the school day. The other 70% of reading should be informational texts that come from classes across the curriculum.
I think even some teachers have become confused on this point. The way it has been reported in our local media is as if literature is being decreased. That is simply not the case.

to comment

DeseretNews.com encourages a civil dialogue among its readers. We welcome your thoughtful comments.
About comments