Sports

• Just Truth Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 22, 2013 2:44 p.m.

It's mutually beneficial, Johnny Dingo

• Voice of Reason Layton, UT
    May 21, 2013 3:45 p.m.

Johnny Triumph,

Actually, if this guy plays his cards right, he stands to make a LOT more than $40k thanks to the inside look he's gained on how a Division I-A football program is run. This is because a) there's no way he could have designed this own without BYU, and b) if BYU had hired him to do it, they'd have exclusive rights to the program and he'd be $40k and done...no marketing it to other schools.

BYU did a bigger favor for him than you're saying.

• RationalPlease Spanish Fork, UT
    May 21, 2013 1:34 p.m.

@Johnny Triumph I agree with @Christine B. Hedgefog, and would add that he could not have developed a program to sell to other colleges without the input from BYU coaches. There is no way that he knew the complexities and needs of the software he has developed. So they did not take advantage of him. Although he went into this just to help BYU, he may get much more out of it than the time he donated to him.

And why is it that BYU haters look at the world through money, money, money. There is so much more to life than chasing the "almighty dollar"

• Truebluecoug Park City, UT
    May 21, 2013 12:10 p.m.

Perhaps my own proactive comment or two. I like the idea when an individual is this loyal to his team he contacts them and asks, "what can I do".
    I do not live in Utah County any longer, so travel would be a problem for me to continue.
    Once upon a time when Matt Payne was the BYU punter/kicker, I shagged punts for him for a summer during his individual workouts.
    At the end Jimmer's sophomore year, I rebounded for him for a summer during his individual workouts at the Smith Fieldhouse.
    Not anything like what this guy is doing. Nor did I contact the AD. Just found a way to help, yet no violate NCAA rules.
    I think the opportunities are there. We just have to want to find them. And that goes for any school at any level.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2013 11:21 a.m.

@ ute4ever - and yet I constantly get off topic stupid comments to Ute articles denied on a regular basis by the DN censors. Nice consistency boys!

@ Johnny Triumph - Huh? You evidently missed the "I wanted to do it for nothing" part of the story, along with the "Now we're going to expand it for other colleges, other sports, and eventually high schools" part. What's your bet that financial gain will come from that "phase" of his putting his talents to work? Ya, shame on BYU for taking advantage of him. Paleeze.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    May 21, 2013 10:41 a.m.

What a shame that a dept at BYU with a HUGE budget would take this guy for $40k. Seems like, if they had a need, they should just hire someone to do the job. Good for this guy for wanting to help out but shame on BYU for taking advantage of him. Not to mention what he could sell this for had he built it on his own, he was taken to the cleaners here...

• Johnny Moser Thayne, WY
    May 20, 2013 5:53 p.m.

The real challenge to any computer program that requires input by the user goes back to the old adage: Garbage in = Garbage out.

BYU or any other college that decides to use the product must understand what the product can do for them. A program like this makes sense for BYU because of the complexity added by Missions and eligibility challenges.

I like the idea of keeping track of program alumni because it can help find those in the industry that "understand" the complexity of football at BYU. It will help find staff to fill positions with a lot more focus than they may have had in the past.

Permanent benefits IF the time is invested into getting accurate and credible information in the first place.

• Downtownchrisbrown ,
    May 20, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Whether or not this program gives them an advantage is in how they decide to use the extra time it gives them.