Utah

Two more guns seized at Salt Lake City International Airport

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 21, 2013 1:07 p.m.

Aren't there signs right before security clearance that say you can't bring your guns, or your dreaded bottle of water? I think there used to be. I believe they were right there, where you have to stand in line long enough to look at them, because you're waiting to get screened to make sure you aren't bringing any weapons onboard.
    It's hard to imagine the process it takes to forget or overlook the idea that you're not supposed to show up at the Xray machine without a gun.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 21, 2013 7:55 a.m.

Okay, these folks did something stupid, and almost certainly without intent to commit criminal acts, either by having the gun in their luggage, or trying to hijack a plane.

They broke the law and will pay the price. If they have a concealed carry permit, they don't today, as it would have been suspended within 24 hours of being arrested, and will be revoked when legal proceedings are finished. They will need a lawyer, (figure $10K right there!) and may well get some sort of added fine and or jail time. If this is a felony punishable by more than one year in jail (even if given a lesser sentence) they will also lose the right to ever purchase or possess any firearm for the rest of their life.

Okay, we got these forgetful folks with no evil intent pretty well covered.

Now, let's get busy going after actual bad guys illegally carrying guns, and people here illegally who may intend us harm.

Mal prohibidim and mal pense are two different legal concepts worth exploring.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    May 20, 2013 9:56 p.m.

Two more examples of responsible gun owners.

• DEW Sandy, UT
    May 20, 2013 7:55 p.m.

Sorry, those people who brought those guns at airports are BONE HEAD! Sure we all know some people bring guns for their self defense but at airports where weapens are not allowed which you are protected all the time (sometime).

A friend of mine wanted me to buy some Hook Knife home from Alaska. I told him you NUTS not on the Cruise Line I won't bring it aboard. But of course I could mail it.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2013 4:34 p.m.

Don't they read the all powerful second amendment that allows for guns everywhere and anytime by anybody?

• HS Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2013 3:57 p.m.

The 2nd amendment guarentees the right to bear arms but does not state anything about society establishing limits or punishments on infringements of that right. We have too many accidental gun deaths in America because we do not severly punish those who mis-use their 2nd amendment right. With more people packing then ever before we need to establish strict laws and enforcement for those who break the law. I would propose a hefty fine (plus 10k) plus minimum jail time for offenses like this. Accidental shootings or your gun falling into the hands of someone else should be even more severe. With rights, comes responsibilities. More gun injuries and accidental deaths occur with non-criminals. Those of us who decide not to carry have the right not to be put at risk by ignorant, incompetent gun owners.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    May 20, 2013 1:06 p.m.

@GZE, it's easier than you think. I've done it myself. When you carry all the time, every day it becomes quite natural. For me, not carrying is like not shaving or forgetting my car keys. Just doesn't feel right. But that is a habit from 15 years of experience.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2013 12:56 p.m.

I assume, based on the lack of panicked lockdowns and terrorist investigations, that all 18 of these people are white.

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 20, 2013 12:24 p.m.

How in the world is it possible to forget you packed a loaded gun?