Sports

Eric Weddle: Former Ute all-American was 'a punk freshman'

Comments

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    May 15, 2013 4:46 p.m.

You know who that GT receiver was? You guess it! It was Detroit Lions WR, AKA Megatron Calvin Johnson. Weddle ate him alive that afternoon, and Johnson had the size and speed advantage over Weddle. Weddle has always been and will continue to be a class act, on and off the field. The Chargers knew what they were doing trading up to pick # 37 to take Weddle in the 2007 NFL Draft. 2 years ago he signed the biggest contract in the HISTORY of the NFL for a safety. More than Ed Reed, etc. Weddle is quite the NFL player, and I hope he continues to have success on and off the field for years to come. One of the greatest all time UTES out there. Can't wait to read this book.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 15, 2013 12:46 p.m.

Harline.

Durn auto-correct...

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 15, 2013 8:24 a.m.

TruBlue
    Salt Lake City, UT

Headline had a memorable day that day! But my favorite memory of Weddle that day was after the game and his sincere heart felt congratulations to Beck. No 5 seconds ever more accurately illustrated the magnificent nature of a man.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    May 15, 2013 12:20 a.m.

Seems like a good guy. I always admire athletes who come back and try to do something for their school.

Best of luck to Eric for continued success in the NFL.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    May 14, 2013 1:32 p.m.

Another Coug, who is also a huge fan of Eric Weddle. First class comes in all colors!! Good story, great player, great man.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    May 14, 2013 8:39 a.m.

Was that receiver named Calvin Johnson?

Weddle's awesome. I don't care where he played.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    May 14, 2013 8:27 a.m.

@ Who am I sir?

and do you know who that wide receiver was? Calvin Johnson! The best wide receiver in the NFL. Eric Weddle is an amazing competitor. You could put him at offensive tackle and he would find a way to get the job done.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 14, 2013 12:15 a.m.

For those who may have missed it....We have some serious talent hitting campus this summer, including DY--

"Future Ute Dre'Vian Young took state in the 400m with a time of 46.8. Serious Speed coming to Utah Football."

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    May 13, 2013 11:02 p.m.

Still remember the bowl game when Weddle was asked to cover Calvin Johnson and he showed him who was boss that day. Weddle was a fun one to watch because he played lock down defense and was such an electric playmaker.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    May 13, 2013 5:33 p.m.

I am a HUGE BYU fan but can say Eric Weddle is a great man. What a tremendous example he is to young people and old. So glad he is no longer player for the Utes...Erid, you were a real pain in the neck for we Cougars. Good luck!

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    May 13, 2013 1:51 p.m.

TruBlue,

I haven't been following Harline. What's he doing these days?

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 13, 2013 12:41 p.m.

@EdGrady

"The Eric Weddle story? Boooooring."

Sorry, you did not find this as riveting as a Bronco press conference or a talk in general conference! But hold on, the part of his conversion will have you on the edge of your seat.

In addition I would not be surprised if this was not made required reading by the BYU football staff (and perhaps others) to tell their recruits the attributes which would make them successful. (The Y may change the names and any other link that would identify the U!) But the Y would never admit to a recruit that in order to have a chance in the Pros as a defensive back they should have chosen another school.

• Natester Cedar Hills, UT
    May 13, 2013 12:32 p.m.

Weddle's story is as inspiring as any of my favorite Cougar's stories. Quite simply, one of the best College football players to ever play in this state. How could anyone not cheer him on? Go Weddle! Go Cougars.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 13, 2013 11:47 a.m.

One of my favorite memories (of many!) of Eric Weddle was his match-up against the All American receiver from Georgia Tech in a bowl game in San Francisco (Freedom Bowl?) Georgia Tech was heavily favored. In talking to some Tech fans before the game about all I could say was, "I'm interested in seeing how our safety, Eric Weddle, does against your receiver." I watched this match-up the entire game. Weddle was beaten one time... so what did he do? He grabbed the jersey and got a 15 year penalty. Other than that the receiver made two catches the entire game for less than a total of 20 yards. Eric won the battle - the Utes won the war!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 13, 2013 10:15 a.m.

I'm looking forward to reading this book. I've always admired Eric Weddle for his heart on the field and integrity off it. I know it doesn't mean much because I'm a BYU fan, but he's definitely my favorite ute player of all time.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 13, 2013 8:45 a.m.

Maui, that was Doug Robinson from the DNews who said the team should give him two scholarships. But Wyoming's former coach once said he definitely deserved to win the Heisman Trophy.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    May 13, 2013 8:29 a.m.

Eric Weddle is an amazing guy! He's a convert to the church who does firesides regularly in California, so byu fans should be interested in his story as well. I will certainly give this book a chance, if I had a young son who needed a good role model I would totally buy him this book.

• TruBlue Salt Lake City, UT
    May 13, 2013 8:12 a.m.

My favorite memory of Weddle is him trying to stop Jonny Harline during the 2006 BYU-Utah game. He played his little heart out but couldn't quite get it done.

Still, though, his legacy is cemented as one of the best players the Utes have ever had.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    May 13, 2013 7:42 a.m.

The Eric Weddle story? Boooooring.

• Chris from Rose Park Hartford, CT
    May 13, 2013 12:23 a.m.

Class act! I loved watching him play.

• Maui WAILUKU, HI
    May 13, 2013 12:22 a.m.

Not a Ute fan but have to recognize greatness. His pick by San Diego was even questioned. I loved one college coach telling him he plays so many positions he should have 2 scholarships.

• SoCalTrueBlue San Diego, CA
    May 12, 2013 10:53 p.m.

I am a life-long BYU fan, but Eric Weddle is one of my favorite football players. He is excellence and class personified.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    May 12, 2013 9:48 p.m.

Amen to all the great posts about Weddle. Great is his middle name. (I am true blue BYU)

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    May 12, 2013 8:55 p.m.

I hope his long term health is not impacted by his intensity. He's a great player and apparently a nice guy off the field. Best wishes for continued success.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 12, 2013 8:53 p.m.

Can't wait for the next segment. Class person, great player, outstanding Ute. Looking at the 35 Utes on current NFL rosters, there are some incredible success stories. Steve Smith, Miake Komoeatu, Jordan Gross, Alex Smith, Weddle and Paul Soliai (all prior to '09) and since then to many to single out! Truly, the U has been a pipeline to the pro's and many have proven to be starters and achieve post season accolades! Thanks for the memories! It truly is a great time to be a Ute!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 12, 2013 8:06 p.m.

Great Ute! Great Charger!

• Ute parents - me Cougar Rathdrum, ID
    May 12, 2013 7:54 p.m.

I've got enough Ute blood in my veins to really like and respect Weddle. It doesn't matter the team there are good guys all over college football.

Dad-South High-Utah
    Mom-West High-Utah (Happy Mother's Day)
    Me-99.75% COUG!!!!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2013 7:28 p.m.

Great article. This will be a fun series to read while we wait for the 2013 season to get underway. Hopefully, Weddle's story and on the field attitude will inspire our current Utes to go after all that our great conference has to offer. Eric Weddle...one of the all time Utah greats!

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 12, 2013 7:06 p.m.

Fond memories of Weddle, Revill, Scalley, Mcbride, and yes, Meyer too.

And the Ute tradition lives on. Go Utes.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 12, 2013 6:47 p.m.

As a lifelong Ute fan (42 years) who has followed the Utes and had season tickets in football and basketball going way back, Eric Weddle is my all time favorite Ute. I love his accomplishments, his character, and the way he plays.

• Florwood American Fork, UT
    May 12, 2013 6:44 p.m.

My favorite Ute player of all time.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    May 12, 2013 6:23 p.m.

Eric was/is a stud. Class act.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    May 12, 2013 5:55 p.m.

One of the best Utes of all time.