Sports

Teeples: Why not make BYU-Idaho a part of Cougar Nation?

Comments

• snakeriverute Madison, ID
    May 24, 2013 8:28 a.m.

A few details regarding sports at BYU-I: the administration a long time ago decided to say no to club sports. Soccer was attempted, but the administration felt it didn't follow the direction they were/are headed with the Activities Program. And if you have one or two, you have to have 50.
    Regarding intercollegiate sports, you're getting to the party a little late. Man I haven't seen that dead horse beaten in more than 5 years by anyone who knows. Get over it; it isn't going to happen. If you think it is you are naive to the cost to the Church. BYU-I, because of its size (nearly 30,000 across the three tracks - it's true!), would have to be FCS at least. We don't have facilities. Everything would have to be built. We are talking hundreds of millions of dollars. Not one dime going to the general student body. That's not to mention the cost of a DAILY effort to keep compliant.

• ezfisher Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2013 3:52 p.m.

I went to Ricks and BYU; I vote to keep the two schools separate. They have different missions and should embrace that difference.

• ezfisher Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2013 3:49 p.m.

BigCougar, I kind of like the idea of canceling sports at the U to save my tax dollars. I mean, when the football coach is making more money than any other state employee including the university president, you just know there are some priorities out of whack.

• kbug428 OF, OH
    May 14, 2013 2:34 p.m.

We are not, nor will we ever be BYU Provo, so I don't think that we should have to "bleed blue".

I love what one of the commenters said, "Students here at BYU-Idaho don't have any automatic allegiance to BYU sports. On any given day you'll find them wearing shirts from universities all around the country, and when you talk to them you'll find their allegiances all over the place."

I don't think I could've said it better myself. I made the decision to attend Ricks and then BYU-IDAHO, not BYU Provo.

• sls Columbia, MO
    May 12, 2013 12:45 p.m.

It's interesting that BYU gets attacked from all sides. National announcers favor their opponents. In-state football fans fire broadsides at the administration, coaches and players. Out-of-state football fans pull for their local teams. Even the students at the Idaho campus that bears the same name want to get in their two cents with what's bad about BYU Provo.

There was an article in Sports Illustrated about 20 years ago that said BYU was the most hated team in America. Can someone please explain why this is so?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 11, 2013 5:04 p.m.

@New to Utah
    First of all welcome to Utah. You are right about Boise st football. I think there are a lot of BYU fans that still think BYU is close to BSU in terms of fanbase in Idaho but they are mistaken. The broncos are an exciting team to watch and they've garnered the majority of Idaho residents in their fan base. It is true that BYU is second but it's a much more distant second than it used to be.

Byufan63: your attitude is what turns a lot of good, intelligent students away from BYU. Sometimes there's an academic elitism at BYU that comes off as condescending to many bright people. I'm sure I could have gone to BYU. My grades were excellent, my test scores were high, but I had no interest in attending after talking to some of their students that held an attitude similar to yours. I recognize not all BYU students have an elitist attitude (majority probably don't), but those that do give BYU a bad name. Keep that in mind when you talk to other students and address people the way u just did.

• BYU&UW FAN West Jordan, UT
    May 10, 2013 5:15 p.m.

I would love to see BYU play a couple basketball games up in Rexburg. I think there needs to be more unity between the two schools.

byufan63 your attitude is why many at BYU-I don't cheer for BYU.

Who says an employer would be disappointed with a BYU-I grad? I bet most employers are more than satisfied with how they perform.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    May 10, 2013 3:36 p.m.

re.byufan63

Do you have valid statistics to back up your claim or is it just speculation?

• sls Columbia, MO
    May 10, 2013 2:59 p.m.

@NightOwlAmerica

Mizzou made a big mistake to change to the SEC and Utah made a bigger mistake in going to the PAC12. Both schools left behind long-established rivalries for no other reason that big bucks. Mizzou has failed to compete in the SEC just as Utah has failed to compete in the PAC12. However, nobody here in the Midwest is attacking BYU and claiming it should drop competition in athletics, as the U fans are doing in Utah.

If BYUI is going to use the BYU name, it should be on board with the BYU mission, which includes college athletics. Just because BYUI doesn't have teams is no reason to pull for Utah, Utah State, Boise State or Idaho State.

• DHan Syracuse, UT
    May 10, 2013 2:57 p.m.

byufan63:

So I, as a BYU-I student, will not be allowed to honestly say that I graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho? Please tell me what to do about this. I don't want to deceive anyone.

• freemale221g Orem, UT
    May 10, 2013 2:36 p.m.

I think merging BYU-I with BYU is a great idea. Better than the Utes going to the PAC12 which is slowly killing their sport programs and instead of saying that BYU should drop their sport programs maybe Ute fans should tell the UofU to drop their sports programs before they get ruined y the PAC12.

• bob137rs Idaho Falls, ID
    May 10, 2013 10:37 a.m.

byufan63
    You don't know what you're talking about. You're assuming that hiring managers are pretty dumb and that BYUI students are dishonest. Companies are hiring BYUI grads over BYU grads because BYUI grads are more qualified (for that specific job) and probably more humble. BYUI is a great institution with stellar grads. President Hinckley knew that the BYU name would bring immediate credibility to the new 4 year university, and it worked. It was on purpose.
    As far as sports go, it would be great to see games up this way from time to time and it would be nice to grow a better relationship between the two schools; however, the mission of BYUI is accomplished without sports. The spirit of Ricks is alive and well on campus. Students love the environment and are leaving campus as disciple leaders.
    All this is coming from the biggest Cougar fan in SE Idaho, BYU alum and season ticket holder.

• Smidget Rexburg, ID
    May 10, 2013 10:27 a.m.

To byufan63; I believe you make two faulty assumptions. As someone who has been associated with Ricks College and now BYU-Idaho for over 30 years, I do not know of a single instance were our students or alumni are attempting to pass themselves off as BYU grads. Just do a quick search on LinkedIn and you will see that our alumni and students are 1)volunteering their information that they are BYU-Idaho, not BYU, and 2) they are not trying to hoodwink people into believing "they went to BYU."

• byufan63 Tallahassee, FL
    May 10, 2013 9:29 a.m.

Dumb idea. Although the author is correct that no one outside of Utah and Idaho differentiates between BYU and BYU-I, he fails to recognize that this is a big problem. When people from around the county hire BYU grads, they assume they graduated from a school with strenuous entry and graduation requirements. Too often they belatedly learn (or worse never learn) they hired someone from BYU-I who doesn’t meet their expectations. The hirer simply did not appreciate that there is a marked difference between the schools and the BYU-I graduate is not going to volunteer this information. They want everyone to believe that they went to BYU. This may sound elitist but the requirements of the schools are miles apart. That is not to say that BYU-I students are bad people or that they don't have some extremely bright students, but on whole, there is little comparison. The answer to BYU-I’s identity issues is not to drag BYU academics down to make BYU-I feel better. The best answer is to rename BYU-I altogether and let it have its own identity without compromising “BYU’s.”

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    May 10, 2013 5:54 a.m.

Boise State is the school Idaho follows as does Oregon and Washington east of the cascades. BYU is likely a distant second.Having lived in Oregon and Idaho and now Utah the past decade of football success at Boise State has created a tremendous following.

• DHan Syracuse, UT
    May 9, 2013 9:28 p.m.

byu rugby:

I know what the Spirit of Ricks is, and I go to BYU-Idaho. Not Ricks College.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    May 9, 2013 8:11 p.m.

The no athletics idea is wonderful. Ever hear Harvard or Princeton talking about their sports? (They exist, but they are NOT the center of the so-called "culture.") Focus on raising the academic power of the school and after a while, no one will care about bringing the circus animals to campus.

• #1 SLC Sports Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2013 3:51 p.m.

One of the big reasons college athletics were discontinued at Rexburg when Ricks morphed into BYU-I is the impact on immediate surropunding universities. Idaho State University in nearby Pocatello struggles as an FCS Big Sky program and Utah State University is the lowest branded and poorest in overall attendance MWC school. Utah Sate has borne the brunt of the massive BYU post WWII expansion in studentbody and athletic branding. College athletics like them or not contribute to a schools ability to attract the best possible students, and BYU has taken more from Utah State than it has given back. Time to end the football program in Provo and if athletics are continued fully embrace the WCC and move on.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    May 9, 2013 3:07 p.m.

The dropping of football at Ricks really hurt BYU's program. It has taken them a few years to recover from having a feeder school of sorts. Has anyone else wondered if the reason they did this is because most of the 12 and First Presidency are Ute grads??????

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    May 9, 2013 3:03 p.m.

sls
    Columbia, MO said:

"The LDS community isn't very united around BYU. There are too many naysayers who didn't get admitted to BYU or who have some other hangup about the Provo school. Many BYU students aren't very united around their school, either, and wear shirts from every other school in the country to proclaim their loyalty or attempt to proclaim their own identity.

Meanwhile, the ute vultures realize that this is a pivotal time in BYU athletics while they are fighting for their life to remain relevant in a PAC12 where they haven't shown an ability to compete. If they can get BYU to abandon sports, they believe, many or most of those athletes will go to the U (believe it or not)."

Hey sls from columbia, MO. How is that move by MIZZOU to the SEC working for ya?
    Utah is just starting on its path in the PAC 12.
    And BYU is fighting for its life to remain relevant as an independent.

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    May 9, 2013 2:45 p.m.

Well we already ride the coattails of Notre Dame.
    BYU-ID can borrow our mascot I guess.

• Clifton Palmer McLendon Gilmer, Texas
    May 9, 2013 1:35 p.m.

The raison d’être of any college or university is academic education. Too many schools have lost sight of that. I am glad BYU-I has no sports program. They made a wise choice.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    May 9, 2013 1:15 p.m.

My son was accepted into the top international studies program in the world (University of Edinburgh) because the name BYU-Idaho carried some weight. If his credentials said "Ricks University" he wouldn't have even been considered.

• AgVikBronc Preston, ID
    May 9, 2013 12:36 p.m.

Not a fan of anything that has happened to the school in Rexburg since I left. They chose to drop athletics so one would presume they have no desire for athletic affiliation, ie mascots or colors. If attending sporting events is that important to the students, they know full well going in that opportunity no longer exists in Rexburg. But, as the last person calling for alumni donations told me, "we have a wonderful intramural program." ha ha ha

I had a wonderful two years at Ricks College, in and outside of sporting events. I think it such a tragedy that the sports programs were dropped there. Even worse was the way it was handled, all those that had jobs in the athletic department had no idea it was happening until it was announced, quite the bombshell for the leadership to drop on someones livelihood. Yes, I am a little bitter. I would have not attended the school had it not been for the sports program, it is a wonderful blessing in my life that is now being denied to others.

Let them be plain and bland BYU I, no mascot or colors needed.

• Area 52 Tooele, UT
    May 9, 2013 11:53 a.m.

@Whoa Nellie

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. I was not at all implying you have to change the name to “university” to be awarded Bachelor degrees.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    May 9, 2013 11:05 a.m.

InspectorC and like-minded,
    Look for BYU to drop its athletic programs at the same time the LDS Church remodels meetinghouses to remove the basketball courts.

Area 52 - FYI for an institution to award baccalaureate degrees it does not have to have the word, "university" in its name. Not all "colleges" are junior colleges.

Some exhibition type games in Rexburg sounds like a good idea as long as someone is willing to sign the check for the expenses involved. As far as sponsored sports at BYU-I ever being considered, I'm pretty certain that anyone reading these comments will never be asked for input on such an idea.

• Area 52 Tooele, UT
    May 9, 2013 10:17 a.m.

Changing Ricks College to BYU-Idaho gave more LDS members access to church schools and the opportunity to receive a Bachelors degree instead of an Associates degree. With the demand in our world of secondary education being more important than ever before it just makes sense that the LDS church needed to do this. Having an Associate's degree will not cut it anymore for most careers, even having a Bachelors degree is a Dime-a-Dozen.

I think changing the name from Ricks to BYU-Idaho was the best thing for the university. Ricks was a great name but to me was associated with being a Junior College. I'm sure Ricks was great back in the day and the "Spirit of Ricks" still continues for those alumni. But it's totally ridiculous and absurd to say that BYU-Idaho is pretending to be like BYU. I guess you really don't know but BYU-I's honor code is more strict and why would that be? BYU-I as a whole is much conducive for the "Spirit" than BYU-Provo and most of the Brethren would probably agree.

• NWCougar Wilsonville, OR
    May 9, 2013 10:10 a.m.

I'm not sure I would want to root for the Cougars if I got turned down by BYU and had to go to Ricks. I would probably also root for the Utes or Aggies instead.

Does anyone else get irked when, after you tell someone you went to BYU, they ask "Provo or Idaho?"

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    May 9, 2013 10:06 a.m.

The way I see it is this Ricks College should have been named Ricks University kept its sports program. and not be lumped in the BYU homogenized identity. As a Alumni Of Ricks it will always be Ricks not BYU-Idaho. To me it is just another dig from the Y, saying it is a secondary school. Never as good as the Y.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    May 9, 2013 9:29 a.m.

I worked at Ricks/BYU-I during the transition. The transition was difficult and challenging but it has all been to improve the educational environment. Culturally, you can't beat BYU-I with music, drama, student performances, etc. The student activities program is the best in the nation. The classes and instruction are excellent. If a student is bored at BYU-I it says more about the student's lack of ambition and intelligence, than it does about BYU-I.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    May 9, 2013 9:19 a.m.

BYUI is like kissing your sister

• Max Charlotte, NC
    May 9, 2013 7:08 a.m.

Speaking of BYU and BYUI (and BYUH) I always thought it was really too bad that they changed the names. Why not have Ricks University or if you wanted to rename it how about Joesph Smith University or John Taylor University? I know BYU is known and the idea was so Idaho and Hawaii could free ride on the name recognition but only for the short-term. I think everybody now knows that these are completely different schools (just like everybody knows that UC Santa Cruz is not the same as UC Berkeley).As for the article, I don't think you are ever really going to be able to make the Idaho student feel like they are in Provo. It is just too far. I don't think sharing the name of the school does much either (Note: I went to Ricks for a year and then graduated from BYU -- the one and only). Also, I knew then (and know now) that there are a lot of kids who could have gone to Provo but simply liked Idaho better. It should never be assumed that the Idaho students are only there because they couldn't be in Provo.

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    May 9, 2013 6:17 a.m.

I'm not a BYU "hater".
    I'm not a UofU "fan".
    I DO love competitive collegiate athletics/sports, and support them vigorously.
    I have no affiliation with BYU-I.
    I am a traditional, devoutly-active, "everyday" LDS man.

Having laid that foundation, I believe BYU (all campuses) should DROP all athletic programs, and FOLLOW the highly-successful BYU-Idaho model!!

BYU should be focusing ALL its resources, energy and efforts on education and academia, religious development, cultural and social programs, scholarship, service to all God's children, the progress of mankind, etc., and simply rid itself of the distractions and draining characteristics of the sports arena.

BYU will never "compete" at the highest levels of the major NCAA sports programs. All it results in is a bunch of frustrated, depressed, angst-filled Mormons!

Kudos, however, to Ryan Teeples for his thorough, well-written article. Great work!!

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    May 9, 2013 4:51 a.m.

@junk I think the desicion to have club or varsity sports at BYUI is made down south not in Idaho.

• byu rugby Crystal Lake, IL
    May 9, 2013 3:04 a.m.

It is just wrong for BYU-I to be lumped in with Provo! It is Ricks College to a very large and very protective group of alumni. If anything, it should revert back to Ricks and get it's own mascot back. I don't care if it continues as a four year school. 20 years ago, Ricks was an entirely different kind of school than BYU. Just as BYU-I portends to be know. Except Ricks really was. Now it is slowly morphing into the same kind of place as BYU, except for nerds.I have a child who attends BYU-I. I asked her about the "Spirit of Ricks"? She doesn't know what I am talking about. If you don't know what I am talking about, you never attended Ricks and wouldn't understand either. Sports is very important to school spirit. But, it isn't what made Ricks such a fantastic place to start out life.

LONG LIVE RICKS COLLEGE!!

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    May 8, 2013 10:23 p.m.

"Can someone explain why Provo can have club sports but BYUI can't ?"

Well, they are two different universities with different leaders.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 8, 2013 10:03 p.m.

@U 90

I to did a double take when I read Ted's comment, and then a triple take when I saw all the "Likes" under it. Must be the max hall factor. lol.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    May 8, 2013 9:54 p.m.

No sports at a college the size of BYUI is a joke. When Ricks college was around it gave more LDS athletes a place to play and raise their academic standing and be able to play at the next level (D-1 D-2 D-3 NAIA ...) Rexburg needs sports. Without sports that town is dead!!! Reinstate sports at BYUI right now!!! All the team at Ricks College were well supported and the games well attended. Why was it shut down anyway? Colleges need sports! And if any town needs something to support it's Rexburg!

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 8, 2013 9:37 p.m.

I have personal connections to Ricks College, BYU-I, BYU-Provo and the University of Utah. I was deeply saddened when Ricks College was transformed to BYU-I although I understand the reasons behind the decision. I have children who graduated from BYU-Provo and I am an alumnus of the U. I would love to see BYU-I with sports again, as I believe it adds much to the student's experience. Many Ricks College athletes had successful experiences at Division 1 schools, many at BYU and Utah and other schools.
    I believe there is a small percentage of fans from BYU and Utah that are an embarrassment to their respective schools. I have been disgusted at the behavior of fans from both BYU and Utah, but I believe the majority of fans from both schools are classy and rational. It's the ludicrous extremes that get the attention and build reputations. The athletic programs at both schools are important components of their respective campuses. Support your school without trashing the other. Not that hard to do. Go Utes!

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    May 8, 2013 8:10 p.m.

I would prefer to see BYU-I restart athletics, not in NCAA Division I, but in either NCAA Division II or III. They are in the footprint of the Great Northwest Conference in Division II and could add a badly needed football school to them and resume their rivalry with Dixie State. Fellow Idaho school Northwest Nazarene in the Boise area is in the conference as is Montana-Billings, the rest are in Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and British Columbia.

In Division III, they could join the Northwest Conference with schools in Oregon and Washington. Division III is really where most people's ideas about student-athletics are enshrined in the rules.

Either would be a good fit for BYU-I and they would not have to join the rat race in Division I.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    May 8, 2013 7:54 p.m.

You would think BYUI would have club rugby and lacrosse. Club sports are very healthy and fun for the school. I think it is strange the BYUI doesn't have club sports that play other schools. I actually applaud no varsity sports but club sports would really help the school. Club sports could be entirely funded by the students.
    Can someone explain why Provo can have club sports but BYUI can't ?

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    May 8, 2013 7:30 p.m.

So many preachy people on here. For all of you who want BYU to get rid of sports because it brings out the worst in people, I'm curious how you justify public schools, city league sports, TV, or anything else for that matter. And this might sound pretentious of me, but people, it's called BYU. Not BYU Provo.

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    May 8, 2013 6:50 p.m.

I attended Ricks College in the early 80's and will always call the school Ricks! The small classroom environment, the class breakfast's with professors in there homes, pride in sporting events, pranking dorm brothers 2nd floor Rigby Hall (Ma Gibb), and babysitting for professors with a date are memories to hold on too! I was sadden when the school changed it's name, and then later to find out the identity was totally stripped. Talking to students in our ward over the past few decades, there dos'nt seem to be a pride coming home with them that I had. A couple of years ago when I received a phone call from the school for donations, I passed on it. It was a school that I did'nt recognize.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    May 8, 2013 6:12 p.m.

I like the idea. Why not make them Cougars? Welcome to Cougar nation!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2013 6:10 p.m.

@sls
    "Meanwhile, the ute vultures realize that this is a pivotal time in BYU athletics while they are fighting for their life to remain relevant in a PAC12 where they haven't shown an ability to compete."

You try competing when your QB gets injured every year. Oh wait, your QBs just play themselves out of the position every year.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    May 8, 2013 5:37 p.m.

@BraveSirRobin
    "Instead of asking BYUI to follow BYU and adopt their sports teams, maybe we should turn the question around and ask why not have BYU follow BYUI's example and drop their sports programs?"

That's a great thought. Especially in the case of universities where their sports programs lose millions and steal resources away from academics to fund their teams.

BYU's athletic dept is profitable and has been for many years. It actually adds resources to the University and helps fuel the mission of BYU (education).

Utah's sports programs though have been a money pit for quite a while now and suck precious money and resources away from academics which impede with the university's purpose (education). It requires Tax payers to pick up the tab and pay for things because the programs can't sustain themselves and are a drain on revenues that are supposed to be promoting education.

Maybe we can get a petition going to cancel the sports programs at the University of Utah so they can use those valuable resources for promoting the educational experiences of their students and relieve the burden on tax payers? Anyone want to sign up?

• khansen26 West Jordan, UT
    May 8, 2013 5:06 p.m.

As a Ricks College alumni and a BYUI current student. I still consider myself a Viking. I haven't seen anything that would help me align myself to BYU Provo.

I made the choice for BYUI over BYU Provo because of the smaller class size and more personal attention than at BYU. Just because you go to BYUI over BYU doesn't mean that you are getting less of a degree. You have the same classes and criteria that all of the other church sponsored schools have.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    May 8, 2013 4:33 p.m.

@Ted H. "Assuming you support our prophet as I support our prophet, I'm going to side with President Monson.... I'm so happy that byu bothers you. It puts a smile on my face knowing how much byu and byu sports make you upset..... Your frustration brings me great joy.

Ted, since you're invoking President Monson in to this discussion, please explain how your comments are consistent with his teachings.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    May 8, 2013 4:24 p.m.

@Sports are Great "Stop hiding behind the red to justify the behavior that proves Max Hall right day after day"

Stop justifying behavior like Max Hall's. Should a member of the LDS church agree be in agreement with Max's comments (see below)? Hall's words are in direct opposition to the teachings of our church. I can understand a BYU fan's frustration with certain Utah fans, but lets be honest BYU fans have not cornered the market on classy behavior either. What is most amazing to me is that you support Max's hate that is directed toward ALL Utah fans including stalwarts in the church including many general authorities. You need to think this through a little more.

"I hate them, I hate everything about them. I hate their program. I hate their fans. I hate everything.... I think the whole university and their fans and organization is classless. - Max Hall

• GD Syracuse, UT
    May 8, 2013 4:19 p.m.

NorCal CougarFan &Alum. Programs at BYU I are wonderful. Even for those who love athletics there is a program there for participants which is unsurpassed anywhere. The opportunities are there, students just have to become involved. Some choose not to apparently if they are from your area.

• Meadow Lark Mark IDAHO FALLS, ID
    May 8, 2013 3:55 p.m.

I graduated from BYU-Provo. Three out of my four children graduated from BYU-I. My three children loved BYU-I. They thought it was absolutely great. Maybe people get what they are looking for.

• emZ Mesa , AZ
    May 8, 2013 3:44 p.m.

kaysvillecougar,
    Thanks for your comment. I agree 100%.

• bennett21 LYMAN, WY
    May 8, 2013 3:43 p.m.

As a recent graduate from BYU-Idaho I have to agree that the school is missing a unity that other schools have. There is nothing that unites the student body except for the weird ritual of raising your scriptures at the start of devotional... The competitive sports/intramural sports don't unite they create divisions and competitions between the student body. Its like church ball on steroids honestly. They do have the identity of being different but it is boring up there on weekends. You can go to Sammy's but that gets old. I would've liked to have sports up there and have an identity.

• jeanie orem, UT
    May 8, 2013 3:37 p.m.

I have two kids attending BYU I and they love it. (The cold maybe not so much.) With the academic standing my kids have they could have chosen BYU Provo and likely gotten in. One kid was offered a full 4 year scholarship to UVU and a half scholarship to BYU Provo. Bottom line - they had a choice, chose BYU I and have not regretted it. I am sorry it has the stigma of "less than" because it's just not true.

A far as being part of Cougar Nation, I agree with some posts here that maybe it's time to remove sports altogether. Contrary to what others have been accused of I am not a Utes fan or a BYU hater. BYU is fantastic for so many reasons but I just see what sports can turn fans into and there are too many examples of unchristian behavior from people who should know better.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    May 8, 2013 3:20 p.m.

Some like NorCal have made a number of derrogatory comments about BYU-I but apparently have never been there. After attending BYU-I, BYU, going to medical school and residency, the best teaching and learning experiences for me were at BYU-I(Ricks). I treasure those years. I also love my cougars and think it would be great to have that unifying effect of BYU's athletics more prominant on BYU-I's campus. In fact I would stay at home and watch a BYU game on TV than attend a Rick's football game b/c of my passion for cougar football. But there is an amazing culture at BYU-I although it is different than Northern Cal. It's a little condescending to insinuate that BYU-I and other church schools don't prepare someone for "the real world." The culture is different than California. It can be a shock to walk to class when it is -20F.

• Calbrode Vernal, Ut
    May 8, 2013 3:17 p.m.

Any one that assumes going to BYU-I/Ricks is a fall back to not getting into BYU Provo is a fool. Many of my fellow classmates were in Rexburg by choice, one that had been made years before. As for the norcalcougarfan most kids that attended school in Rexburg who were from CA that did not like the school, wouldn't of liked Provo either. It's hard for anyone to be away from family and only come home for Christmas.

• sls Columbia, MO
    May 8, 2013 3:03 p.m.

I think Teeples has a good idea to try and build some more unity among LDS college students at both campuses. It may not be practical, but it's worth exploring.

• emZ Mesa , AZ
    May 8, 2013 2:56 p.m.

@NorCalCougarFan&Alum
    As a California native and BYUI alumnus, I feel you are mistaken about BYU-Idaho. The school prepared me for a lifetime of service in the Church and the community that in many ways exceeds the preparation I received while serving as a full-time missionary. I was prepared academically as well, as I will be starting medical school this fall. My two brothers attended UCSD and CSUN. The 'education' there caused them to stray from the way we were raised. I have attended Institute classes in California and they do a great job of supporting LDS students but cannot make up for the secularising agenda that is often forced upon UC/CSU students. As for the youth in your ward who were bored at BYUI, they needed to get out more. I hiked in Yellowstone, saw the Tetons, explored caves and swam in the Snake River.

I was mildly saddened when they started removing the Viking references at BYU-I , but to say that somehow means I went to an empty shell of a school with no culture is plain silly. I am grateful for my BYU-Idaho education and am proud to be an alumnus.

• Cambrai Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2013 2:47 p.m.

BYU-Idaho is not the same school as Brigham Young University. The LDS Church did the "real" BYU and its alumni a severe disservice by branding Ricks College as BYU-Idaho. To do so only serves to dilute the value of the BYU brand.

BYU-Idaho should be rebranded as Ricks University, as BYU-I is no more BYU than UC-Riverside is UC-Berkeley.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    May 8, 2013 2:34 p.m.

My only request if BYU-I starts adopting the Cougars as a mascot, is that BYU-Provo needs to accept their academic credits as well. It is ludicrous that when a student transfers to Provo, that not all of their credits transfer as well.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    May 8, 2013 2:27 p.m.

What is "cougar nation?" This term, recently becoming more widely used is the most meaningless phase in America. Cougar nation? Cougars are not a nation, fans are not a nation, and to refer to fans as a nation is completely absurd. Ok, I get the reference, but I dislike it, just call us fans, we are not a nation, they do not issue passports, charge property taxes, require income taxes, or draft people into the military! Fans are fans, we are not a nation!

• Area 52 Tooele, UT
    May 8, 2013 2:12 p.m.

@NorCalCougarFan&Alum

As a BYU-Idaho Alum, I know of several people who got into BYU Provo with not so good of grades. I believe the requirements (GPA, etc...) are pretty close to the same. I'm only refering to Undergraduate studies becausue BYU-Idaho does not have Graduate studies.

The kids in you ward could attend a community college (prices are cheaper than Universities) and then transfer to BYU-Provo when their grades are better. I admit BYU-Idaho is not for everyone especially because of the winter weather and being smaller. But I do have several friends from California who really enjoyed BYU-Idaho. There was always something to do and I was never bored.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 8, 2013 2:09 p.m.

The Church sees BYU sports programs as an important resource for getting exposure for the Church. That is actually the main reason they exist. I doubt the Church will ever consider ending sports at BYU.

Making the BYU-I campus a cougar campus, as well, sounds like a great idea.

• combblai POCATELLO, ID
    May 8, 2013 1:53 p.m.

My daughter attended BYUI for a year recently and said she found more Utah and Utah State fans as students than BYU fans. This was frustrating to her.

I suspect BYUI would prefer to stay neutral so Utes fans, Aggies fans and others can attend a church school and not feel like they have to sacrifice loyalty to their favorite college sports team. However, that does not mean they could not have a huge sponsored BYU Sports fan club on campus that could provide activities and big screen viewings of games.

BYUI has plenty of cultural events and activities but the students have to take advantage of what is available. Just because they don't have D1 sports does not mean they are without culture. Take the blinders off.

Even though the academic entrance standards are lower at BYUI than BYU, that does not mean all the students at BYUI are underachievers academically. There are many reasons a student may want to attend BYUI rather than BYU. Some were mentioned above. Others include size of school/community, focus on academics, much lower costs, closer to home, small town atmosphere, smaller class room size, getting away from home, nutureing environment, etc..

• NorCalCougarFan&Alum Elk Grove, CA
    May 8, 2013 1:33 p.m.

Snakeriverute:

If LDS youth can't get into the BYU Provo campus, they choose to attend BYU-Idaho due to the price tag. Unfortunately, the University of California and California State University systems have increased their tuition 15-30% a year. BYU-Idaho tuition is $1,785.00 a semester for tuition. The LDS Church does a great job at keeping expenditures low and subsidizing tuition with tithing money. An undergraduate degree at a CSU campus is $2,736.00 and a UC campus is $3,740.00 per semester for undergraduate studies.

• Monk Pleasant Grove, UT
    May 8, 2013 1:13 p.m.

How is this worthy of publication?

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2013 12:52 p.m.

BYUI has made a commitment to academics and personal growth rather than the BCS. Let them pursue that goal. College athletics has become the tail that wags the dog and BYUI has rejected that model.

• snakeriverute Madison, ID
    May 8, 2013 12:21 p.m.

NorCalCougarFan&Alum:

So if going to school in Rexburg is such a drag and the Institutes in Cali are so great (which I imagine they are) why don't they just stay at home, quit grousing, and go to a UC/CSU school? It's not like BYU-I needs them.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    May 8, 2013 12:13 p.m.

@Brave Sir Robin

"why not have BYU follow BYUI's example and drop their sports programs?"

I know that is the secret little fantasy of every petty BYU hater in Utah, but all signs point to that being nothing but fantasy. We see quite the opposite happening at BYU, with the LDS church investing more in BYU athletics, as both a publicity and missionary tool. They just spent millions building a state of the art HD broadcasting facility, created their own cable TV channel that reaches more than 100 million homes, and signed a 10 year exclusive contract with ESPN to broadcast their football games. These are just a few example. I could cite many more. I know that must gall you as it is obvious from your frequent posts that you have a deep-seeded and irrational hatred of BYU, but do not despair. I am sure there is some treatment available for that if you wish to overcome it.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 8, 2013 12:08 p.m.

Some interesting ideas. Probably won't go anywhere, but creative.

Maybe BYU-I should get back into sports on its own. Seems like a pretty bland place with few of the college traditions that are part of the American experience. And I'm not suggesting the fraternity/sorority stuff for which I have no use. What is more American than a football game in the Fall or a basketball rivalry? Great memories (even if college sports has gone to the dogs, i.e., money over anything else).

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    May 8, 2013 12:03 p.m.

Perhaps Utah public schools should follow BYU-I's example and drop athletic programs. It would save taxpayers tens of millions of dollars. Let parents pay for club sports in the communities.

• Cougar Files Roosevelt, UT
    May 8, 2013 11:31 a.m.

I have had this same thought (have BYU-I adopt the same mascot and host events periodically). I have children, nephews and nieces attending both schools. I think it's a tragedy not to have the opportunity to attend sporting events at BYU-I. I hear from my nephews that there is a robust intramural program, but it will not unite the student body in a way that cheering on a university sponsored team in intercollegiate competition does. Yes it has the potential to bring out the worst in individuals and, occasionally, the student body, but it creates enhanced student body unity and identity as well as memorable, fun social activities.

• NorCalCougarFan&Alum Elk Grove, CA
    May 8, 2013 11:21 a.m.

@Obama10,
    First, many kids in my ward attend BYU-Idaho and they can't wait to return to CA after they complete their two terms each school year. They complain of the boredom and wished they had worked harder in high school to get into BYU-Provo. Plus, the extreme weather in Idaho gets old as well. Finally, there are many fine University of California and California State University campuses that have LDS Institutes close by where LDS young adults can be spiritually nourished on a daily basis and enjoy sporting and other cultural events on campus. After I completed my undergrad at BYU, I attended two in-state California campuses with great institute programs where I was spiritually filled and enjoyed campus life as well. Yes, there were many Liberal professors. However, witnessing other perspectives prepared me for real life.

• Robert Rexburg, ID
    May 8, 2013 11:15 a.m.

I agree with the basic premise of the article, that BYU-I offers nothing to generate school spirit and unity, and this could be accomplished in part by promoting BYU sports.

But those who claim that BYUI is "culturally empty" (whatever that really means) simply haven't been here -- the university has its own distinct atmosphere and culture. Just because it's different from another school doesn't make it inferior.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 8, 2013 11:00 a.m.

@Brave Sir Robin

See. Look how quick they turn on you.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    May 8, 2013 10:56 a.m.

Robin, Our beloved Prophet President Monson would have ended sports if he thought sports should be ended at BYU. After all, he is the chairman of the board of BYU. And assuming you support our prophet as I support our prophet, I'm going to side with President Monson.

And yes, I'm so happy that byu bothers you. It puts a smile on my face knowing how much byu and byu sports make you upset. Thank you. Your frustration bring me great joy.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    May 8, 2013 10:53 a.m.

@NorCalCougarFan&Alum, I don't know where you get your info on BYU-I, but I think you are wrong. My nephew just finished his Freshman year and I have several neighbors whose kids went/are there and loved the experience. There have been many articles as well as the book mentioned in this article about some of the ground breaking education that is happening there. The President of BYU-I is the former Dean of Harvard Business school. If you would rather your children experience the "culture" of UC-Santa Cruz and the left-over hippie drug-culture of the banana slugs, then more power to you. I would love my children to attend BYU-I.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2013 10:49 a.m.

baby sparrow

Nothing more hypocritical than a Ute fan being ok with classlessness on the hill while crucifying byu fans who once in a rare while act the same as Ute fans. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Ute "fans" represent their university and our state. I'm more embarrassed to be associated with the state of Utah from ute "fans" behavior than I am of the ocassional byu-mormon affiliation.

Stop hiding behind the red to justify the behavior that proves Max Hall right day after day.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 8, 2013 10:47 a.m.

@Brave Sir Robin

what are you thinking! Your comment is taboo among the tds faithful. It brings forth a deep-seeded fear that is not spoken of ever since Utah joined the Pac12 and the tds went independent.

• NorCalCougarFan&Alum Elk Grove, CA
    May 8, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Brave Sir Robin,
    I hear the same story from my brother-in-law who's a University of Utah graduate. You'd love BYU to cancel it's sports programs so the Utes can become the big and only brother on the block.
    In regards to BYU-Idaho, I would much rather have my child attend a California in-state school than go to school in Rexburg. BYU-Idaho is an empty shell culturally. It's kind of like a long distance commuter school with very little to offer outside of some academics and a weekly devotional. BYU-Idaho definitely has an identity crisis because it has none. Attending a school with no school culture wouldn't be pleasant. Making BYU-Idaho students BYU sports fans is a natural fit. Maybe BYU-Idaho could eventually host some BYU sporting events on occasion, such as baseball, softball, women's soccer, etc.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2013 10:38 a.m.

I think it would be very unfortunate if BYU was to be forced to merge sports with BYU-I. While people sometimes do indeed conglomerate the schools together into one blob, they are not one school. They never have been and never will be. I find it highly appealing that BYU-Hawaii has figured that out. They have their own sports teams and their own mascot. They have found their own identity. Just because people do not know the difference between the schools does not mean that the schools should merge together. I have friends from out of state that confuse the U with USU all the time; surely we will not suggest that the Utes start donning the navy blue and white.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 8, 2013 10:23 a.m.

Instead of asking BYUI to follow BYU and adopt their sports teams, maybe we should turn the question around and ask why not have BYU follow BYUI's example and drop their sports programs? After all, let's face it: Sports brings out the worst in players/coaches/fans (yes, even BYU's) and some of the things we've seen out of BYU's sports program don't paint the institution and the LDS Church in a positive light. That is contrary to the stated mission of BYU and the church. College sports have become "worldly" enough that it might be time for BYU to think about dropping intercollegiate sports altogether.