Faith

LDS home storage centers tweaking cannery policy

Comments

• Bootsy SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 22, 2013 5:05 p.m.

I don't know where the idea of building a school in Ghana came from. Nobody is taking anything away from children in Ghana to provide a cannery in the U.S. Even if this were something they would consider VOLUNTARILY contributing, you can't just build a school and leave. You have to provide for security of the building and hire people to staff it. It's not a one-time donation thing. I don't think anyone has the right to judge how the Church spends its money on philanthropic endeavors. I'm sure Church members and provisions are all over in Oklahoma right now. The mall has nothing to do with any of this; that money comes from a completely different place than money for charities does.

• gkawalker Dayton, OH
    May 13, 2013 11:52 a.m.

It sounds like there is a lot of confusion on the whole issue and that definite dates on some things are not being announced. Our Home Storage Center just sent out a letter confirming that we will no longer be able to pack (can) at our HSC after June 27th. And canning products (cans, lids, mylar pouches, oxygen absorbers) will no longer be available to purchase through our HSC. Additionally, all bulk items are being phased out, beginning with wheat (only available until June 30th), and will eventually be completely phased out by Dec. 31st. I talked to Welfare Square to see if mylar pouches and oxygen would be available through Church Distribution and they believed it would be. So if we want to "pack" food on our own, we'll have to purchase the food locally, and order the supplies and use the Stake mylar sealer. Our HSC will be offering only pre-packaged items.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2013 4:07 p.m.

The principle of emergency preparedness remains the same although the mechanisms of preparation may be updated.

• Odellyn Litchfield, IL
    May 8, 2013 9:27 a.m.

I understand the need for prepackaged items as life seems to be speeding up and time is a very precious commodity. When I was younger I loved going with a group and canning the stuff ourselves. Now that I'm older and raising my granddaughter as a working single parent there is no way I could find the time, especially considering the time it takes to get to the nearest cannery. For that reason I wish they would make those item available for shipment as well. My son keeps bugging me for potato pearls, but unless someone from our branch happens to be making the trip, we have no way to get them.

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    May 7, 2013 7:54 p.m.

@ZoeZg

Thanks. I had the same confusion. Thought I got it, but glad to hear others thinking along the same lines regarding the changes.

• JT4 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2013 7:38 p.m.

I have noted over time that any comment LValfre makes about the Church can be disregarded. For those who either aren't aware or have an axe to grind, here's what the DNews previously wrote about it:

"The $1.5 billion mixed-use project was developed by City Creek Reserve Inc. (CCRI) — a for-profit real estate company owned by the LDS Church. Including the City Creek project, roughly $4 billion to $5 billion of economic development is currently under way in the downtown area, Bishop Burton said.

'So we hope that the confidence level continues to escalate, and that more people are willing to invest and be a part of the capital city of Utah … to have a great and viable downtown,' he said."

The Church has a history of investing heavily in economic development in downtown SLC to ensure, to the extent they can, that areas nearest the temple do not fall victim to urban decay. There will always be those against the Church that will find problems with investments that make a profit. But, given Christian theology, it seems like good insurance for anticipated future events.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 7, 2013 6:01 p.m.

There's a whole lot of speculating going on here. It sure is interesting to see how many different viewpoints there are on what it means. I can almost hear Chicken Little running around screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling."

• ProudUtahn St. George, Utah
    May 7, 2013 3:52 p.m.

I have always made an appointment for my family or ward to come in with my own bulk products or purchase what I want from the center. We worked together to can it our selves. When we canned the centers product we usually did some extra for those unable because of time or health to be able to purchase. My understanding of this article is in the future I may be limited to be able to do the canning myself instead only purchase the goods already canned.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    May 7, 2013 3:10 p.m.

@rhappahannock

"Also, looking at the entire church, there are likely needs much more urgent than food storage in the US and Canada. For example, in Ghana (home of Ziggy Ansah) there is only room for a quarter of the students to advance to high school. Would it be better to build a high school for the saints there where it is needed and the church is growing rapidly, or add another home storage center in North America when other options exist?"

Nope. It's more important to build a mall.

• DBreit1 Lehi, UT
    May 7, 2013 2:05 p.m.

You might want to read the blogger's response to this article.

Of course this comment box doesn't allow me to post a link to it. So read the Deseret News Article, 3rd paragraph from the top and click on the words "blog post". That takes you to the original blog. From there, read the BOLD RED UPDATE paragraph at top of the blog, and at the end, click on the word "HERE" n the last line of the red paragraph.

NOTE: several people from around the nation have come forward and notified the blogger of these things, and also of government interference and harassment. Their comments are included in the blog.

• Overjoyed Orem, UT
    May 7, 2013 12:46 p.m.

The item from the blog that struck me was the report that on June 27 they were all going to stop canning. Instead, the Church's statement indicated that all these changes would happen over time.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 7, 2013 12:23 p.m.

ZoeZg,
    I think the only purpose of the article was to Clarify that they weren't closing any locations. They just arn't doing the actual canning at the locations. But they are still open and selling the same products for the same price (just no longer on a do-it-yourself) basis.

Not a bid difference. Just a clarification.

The clarification... THE SITES ARE NOT CLOSING. Just not doing the actual packing at some of the locations anymore. But they are still open. And you can still get the same products at them.

That's how I read it.

• ZoeZg quakertown, PA
    May 7, 2013 12:09 p.m.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question, and many thanks to the Church and members for all it/they/you does/do! Aside from the location info shared in the blog, and the conclusions that were drawn from interview info and the flyer, I'm still not seeing much difference between what the blog and this article said, but I am glad to know that this great work will be continued. Thanks again.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 7, 2013 11:04 a.m.

Once again blogs cause confusion. Blog seems to indicate closures have already happened. LDS Church says perhaps there will be a reduction the amount of locations but not now. I will stick with official church communications over blogs any day. Blogs are nothing but the phone game on computers.

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    May 7, 2013 10:53 a.m.

@ZoeZg,

The only sure difference I noted is that the blog post specified all canneries in east (there are 21). The Church statement didn't specify where it would be reducing the numbers of canneries.

The Church statement also said it would not be closing any canneries. I can't figure out the difference between "reducing" numbers and "closing."

FYI, non-LDS are also welcome to use these centers. All who come are expected to pitch in and help others who are there. Some require advance appointments, especially for large groups. Some of the canneries are also "wet-pack," including all kinds of canned goods. Some rumors indicate that "wet-pack" is the type of canning most likely to be centralized.

• Reader Sandy, UT
    May 7, 2013 10:35 a.m.

Some have asked about the "three month food supply". I don't remember the exact time, but it was several years ago that the Church modified the guidelines for food storage. The guidelines were to acquire three months storage of the types of food your family eats on a regular basis. This might include things like tuna, cold ceral, spagetti, sauces, canned fruit, salad dressings, etc. Basically things you would buy during a visit to the grocery store. Then, if you have the means, you get a years supply of rice, wheat, and the other things we have always typically thought of as food storage. You can check this out at Provident Living on the Church website.

• ? SLC, UT
    May 7, 2013 10:10 a.m.

Another thought, ZoeZg, is that if they are sending pre packaged items canned from facilities in the west to those in the east, it may be because they aren't set up yet to pre-package cans in the east. It might mean the church will hire or find volunteers to can these items in the east, whatever it is they are doing to pre package items in the west. Members can then pick up these pre packaged items at their nearest food storage facility. It just seems the Church is doing all it can to make it easier for folks to build their food storage.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    May 7, 2013 10:08 a.m.

I know that whenever my wife and I look at increasing our food storage, it is almost always cheaper just to buy the items at a case lot sale. I am not sure it is really that much of a bargain. I agree with the one comment that it may be more beneficial for the church to build high schools in developing countries, than the expense of home storage facilities.

• ? SLC, UT
    May 7, 2013 9:54 a.m.

Hi ZoeZg,

What I think they are talking about is reducing the number of facilities that members can go and can items themselves, but these same facilities will be used for canning, mostly likely the pre-packaged cans for members to then purchase. Hope this helps.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    May 7, 2013 9:27 a.m.

I see the suggestion is a three months supply. When did that start? I thought it was a year?

• dnssomers Herriman, UT
    May 7, 2013 9:26 a.m.

"Latter-day Saints are encouraged by church leaders to keep a three-month supply of food on hand..." Where did three months come from? I always thought it was a years supply. Am I wrong on this?

• ZoeZg quakertown, PA
    May 7, 2013 9:25 a.m.

Please know I mean no disrespect and am not trying to start an argument by this. I'm confused, as I know others who have read both the blog post and this article must be- I'm honestly requesting clarification.

This article states:
    "Over time, we will be reducing the number of facilities where the packaging... occurs," LDS spokeswoman Ruth Todd said...the church's "home storage centers will offer the same or additional commodities in pre-packaged form, at no additional cost."
    "The church is not closing canneries and is not limiting the variety of goods available to church members," she said. The only thing being reduced over time is the number of locations at which members can purchase bulk foods and can them themselves.

The blog post said:
    "canneries east of the Mississippi will no longer be canning any food at their facilities beginning June 27, 2013... The canneries will still function as a center for pre-packaged bulk-foods for their patrons, but these items will have to be shipped into them now, pre-packaged in the LDS Canneries in the West."

I truly don't see a difference, aside from using different words.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    May 7, 2013 9:00 a.m.

ksampow

You bring up a great point. What we did was to choose a day for a ward activity. In advance, members bought the products they wished to can, and the ward canning specialist made a mass purchase of all the cans and other things needed for canning. We brought the stake canning equipment to the house and held a great event where hundreds of cans of all kinds of products were canned. Members came any time they wanted during that day and it worked great. We got our storage supply way up.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    May 7, 2013 8:38 a.m.

Cinci Man: Even though stakes have canning equipment, we are not allowed to do canning in the stake centers or other church buildings. So the Home Storage Centers are very important. Where else can a ward get together and package hundereds of cans for its members?

I do see how there will be less need if the products are easily avaiable for purchase. I wonder, though, if it is a god thing to reduce the number of people who are actively involved in preparing their food storage.

• ? SLC, UT
    May 7, 2013 8:20 a.m.

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not closing its food production canneries and is not limiting the variety of goods that are available to church members for consumption and storage."

"...the church's "home storage centers will offer the same or additional commodities in pre-packaged form, at no additional cost."

Seems to me everything is still available, nothing is closing. Those who have the time, means and like to can these items themselves can still do so, but locations will be limited. Like another said, some stakes have acquired resources to can these items in their stakes. For others, it seems, the Church is taking out some of the struggle of building one's food storage by providing more pre-packaged items.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    May 7, 2013 7:38 a.m.

Many stakes, mine included, have their own canning equipment, so using church buildings for home canning is less necessary. Stake canneries are far more efficient for canning the dry goods. Also, stakes exist all over the world, so home canning is neither being discouraged not phased down. I see the church just adjusting to the ever evolving world.

I doubt that the City Creek expense has anything to do with this, since it was not Church tithing that was used. I have to chuckle at that suggestion.

• Fern RL LAYTON, UT
    May 7, 2013 6:30 a.m.

From the article, this statement "The only thing being reduced over time is the number of locations at which members can purchase bulk foods and can them themselves." is the only hint at what is really happening. That is insufficient. Are there really no further details?

• rhappahannock Washington, DC
    May 7, 2013 6:03 a.m.

Given the expense of operating the home storage centers, I can see why the Church is doing it. There are options such as Costco and others that are also offering long-term food storage, reducing the need for such buildings. However, I also wonder whether the expense of the City Creek Center is affecting other budgets.

Also, looking at the entire church, there are likely needs much more urgent than food storage in the US and Canada. For example, in Ghana (home of Ziggy Ansah) there is only room for a quarter of the students to advance to high school. Would it be better to build a high school for the saints there where it is needed and the church is growing rapidly, or add another home storage center in North America when other options exist? Seems to be a no-brainer to me.